Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:53 AM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
IronyTaken

IronyTaken is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thales100 View Post
K, i did some tests, i can have forced AA + shadows if i set shadows quality, in the game menu, to "normal", anything above that ("high" or "very high") will disable it.
So currently i may choose from:

1- Play with jaggies and high quality shadows.

2- Play with forced AA and "normal" shadows, what means low quality ones.

Running 3 x GTX 480 here.

Your Pics actually take away shadows when forced with AA even on normal shadows.
Notice the chair missing the shadows.

When playing the game on forced AA and normal shadows they work until I leave a room and then the shadows disappear and stay off.
IronyTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:01 AM   #152
thales100

thales100 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronyTaken View Post
Your Pics actually take away shadows when forced with AA even on normal shadows.
Notice the chair missing the shadows.

When playing the game on forced AA and normal shadows they work until I leave a room and then the shadows disappear and stay off.
No, there are no missing shadows of the chair in that scene, i checked it, its the angle of the screenshot that may suggest it, but in fact i also use to "lose" the dynamic shadows occasionally, then i must select "high" shadows again, leave menu, then select "normal" shadows and they are back.
thales100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:38 PM   #153
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

BTW, not that I want to start a nVidia vs ATI thing here, but the ability to edit AA compatibility values is one of the major reasons I still favor nVidia cards. It's nice of them to expose the setting so it can at least be edited through 3rd party tools (now what would be really cool is if they had an app that allowed you to try various bit flags on-the-fly as a game was rendering to figure out which ones worked).

Quite a while ago I was talking about this, and it might have been Caveman-Jim who said that that AMD did plan to expose the setting in future drivers. Did that ever happen, or do you basically still have to rely on AMD putting out updates for AA compatibility values?
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 1, 2011, 02:07 PM   #154
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
Quite a while ago I was talking about this, and it might have been Caveman-Jim who said that that AMD did plan to expose the setting in future drivers. Did that ever happen, or do you basically still have to rely on AMD putting out updates for AA compatibility values?
Have you heard of MLAA?

How about RadeonPro?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 03:11 PM   #155
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Have you heard of MLAA?
MLAA is cool, but it's not better than being able to enable true MSAA on a game.

Quote:
How about RadeonPro?
Nope haven't heard of it. So that allows users to define AA compatibility values then? Can you mix and match bits like nVidia Inspector?

Last edited by Sweetz : Feb 1, 2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:23 PM   #156

104159 is still being judged by the masses

What an amazing thread! I recall reading all the reason FSAA and MSAA could not work with deferred render engines and how AA had to be applied by the engine to individual render targets; so it's a very pleasant surprise that this works.

There's a new game out called Breach that uses a deferred render engine similar to Grin's Diesel engine under the GRAW games, I've tried poking around to no avail, and can't seem to get any of the known compatibility flags to work (and I'm probably doing it wrong using the Global Profile as none exist for this game yet)...

Is there any way to discover what compatibility flags might work with this game by means other then trial and error?

104159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:50 AM   #157
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

RadeonPro is exceptional, more user friendly and I would say better than nV inspector. There are AA compatibility modes but only a few, but that's ofc AMDs not the tools fault.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 01:15 AM   #158
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sorry for offtop again, but I was wondering about differencies between AO performance and quality modes and did some screenshots:

AO off:

AO performance:

AO quality:

As you can see, with the performance implementation shadows are darker and stronger and AO overally is much more brutal. Quality pic is subtlier.

Now not only it would explain differencies between that old AO gif compared to quality mode pics (it's made with 185.x drivers afair and there was no quality/performance/off AO, just on/off)

http://i41.tinypic.com/24zyccn.gif

but would also mean that performance is the first implementation at half-resolution and quality which was added later is full resolution as according to this:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/7...occlusion.html

Now that quote is interesting:

"As you can see, the gain in performance obtained by calculating ambient occlusion in half resolution is enormous, in return for just a small reduction in quality. A good compromise then."

So not only is performance mode really faster (for me min ~50 fps with x4trmsaa vs ~30 with quality) but you are not really loosing that much (if I'm right ofc). Also more pronounced for those that claim it doesn't change much. I prefer it now but don't have much of a choice in fact as the dipps were very annoying.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.

Last edited by Ziklitschli : Feb 2, 2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 04:13 PM   #159
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Man, the AA flag for NFS Hot Pursuit rapes my FPS, on a GTX 570 !
Activating 4x AA is quite noticeable in game, but my FPS drops from 60 to 20 with no other car on screen !

edit.
The no AA FPS isn't that great, either, it varies between 40 and 50.
Great :|

edit 2
Ignore this post, the 3D clocks of the card didn't kick in for some reason, I had to restart, and now I'm getting 60 FPS with AA on

Last edited by Ego : Feb 2, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 08:06 PM   #160
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Yeah, under normal conditions a 570 can run 8xMSAA on Hot Pursuit without breaking a sweat. I believe I could even run 4xMSAA + 2xSGSSAA at 60FPS (though I don't like the way SGSSAA looks in the game in any case).

Only thing that sucks is that the AA coverage is fairly partial. Usually covers the car, but misses a lot of scenery. Not a big deal during play because the scenery is moving by so quickly anyway, but it is noticable in photo mode.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:01 PM   #161
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
Ignore this post, the 3D clocks of the card didn't kick in for some reason, I had to restart, and now I'm getting 60 FPS with AA on
i was gonna say pebcak but you saved yourself
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:11 PM   #162
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

added a possible dead space 2 soft shadows AA overide.

the downside is lesser AA quality.

Code:
0x00411245
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:42 PM   #163
thales100

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
added a possible dead space 2 soft shadows AA overide.

the downside is lesser AA quality.

Code:
0x00411245
Hehe fantastic.

In Game AA

Old Flag

New Flag

New Flag : AA + Very High Shadows

Last edited by thales100 : Feb 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 09:49 AM   #164
H001iGAN
Orzysz

H001iGAN is still being judged by the masses

so with this new flag, I can have every setting maxed + AA and dynamic shadows will work?
H001iGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:42 AM   #165
GanjaStar
Jalouise

yes. let us know how it works for ya.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 02:13 AM   #166
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

marko, you might want to add a note to the op that there's an issue with forcing aa in dead space 2 on sli systems. you can check it out here - http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...&postcount=452
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 02:51 AM   #167
GanjaStar
Jalouise

Thx, i added a not for SLI users in the OP and revised the guide structure a bit, since theres now WHQL drivers encompassing all known flags.

And its Mr. Marko to you!

Last edited by GanjaStar : Feb 4, 2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 04:08 AM   #168
thales100

Cool, but some SLI systems may present this issue, not all, as i played the game twice on a 3-way SLI GTX 480 rig and never experienced this.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 05:03 AM   #169
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

yea it's possible that it might be a 2xx series problem only.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 07:19 AM   #170
H001iGAN
Orzysz

It happened to me 1 time, on a 580 sli RIG, didn't even shoot anything it just randomly happened
Old Feb 4, 2011, 09:58 PM   #171
Henu3duka

Henu3duka is still being judged by the masses

0x00411245 is bad , more "dirty edges"...

What`s artifacts like a "web" on the screen?

Last edited by Henu3duka : Feb 4, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Henu3duka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 02:50 AM   #172
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henu3duka View Post
0x00411245 is bad , more "dirty edges"...

What`s artifacts like a "web" on the screen?
I saw such artifact with that flag but in Dead Space 1, I don't have second part atm so can't check.

Welcome to the boards btw.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Feb 6, 2011, 06:41 PM   #173
Henu3duka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziklitschli View Post
I saw such artifact with that flag but in Dead Space 1, I don't have second part atm so can't check.
I can see this "web"-artifact (and other artifacts too), when I did switching VSync ON/OFF during the game.

btw, I don`t know, why fps does not up more then 30 in this game when VSync is ON. My CRT-monitor 1024x768x85Hz.

Last edited by Henu3duka : Feb 6, 2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 09:56 PM   #174
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
btw, I don`t know, why fps does not up more then 30 in this game when VSync is ON. My CRT-monitor 1024x768x85Hz.
You have to force vsync through NV inspector/ D3D overrider. That's ingame vsync option causing it afair

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Feb 6, 2011, 09:58 PM   #175
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
You have to force vsync through NV inspector/ D3D overrider. That's ingame vsync option causing it afair
Yes disable vsync in game and force it via CP or D3Doverrider etc.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 04:37 AM   #176
GanjaStar
Jalouise

good news for lego titles and those who play Doctor Who adventures

Doctor Who The Adventure Games - 0x00411245
LEGO Batman - 0x00421041
LEGO Harry Potter - 0x00421041

in the Op as well.

Last edited by GanjaStar : Feb 7, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 03:55 PM   #177
Henu3duka

Quote:
Dziekuje, it`s good idea
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:49 PM   #178
H001iGAN
Orzysz

Is there a flag for two words dx10 that is more optimised than the ingame AA, @ 2560x1600 w/4xAA it uses more then 500MB of vram. I can only get 45 fps.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:39 PM   #179
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Dziekuje, it`s good idea

He зa чto

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:03 AM   #180
GanjaStar
Jalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
Is there a flag for two words dx10 that is more optimised than the ingame AA, @ 2560x1600 w/4xAA it uses more then 500MB of vram. I can only get 45 fps.
99% of AA flags are dx9 so unless the few listed in inspector work, I doubt you will have any luck. your better of trying to get dx9 AA working in that game, if there is a dx9 renderer. I have yet to install the game.

I also updated the guide a bit.

Last edited by GanjaStar : Feb 13, 2011 at 10:07 AM.