Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default That open world game...

So which of the open world games do you like. I am particularly not liking these games because of poor storyline and/or gameplay mechanics. I have had to shelve RF3 because the open world concept was only ok. Destruction and all that crap was fun while it lasted but got bored very quickly.

Same is happening with Just Cause 2 since I am not really liking that game as well. Graphics are nice, frames are good, destruction is also ok but storyline is crap and running errands gets really boring.

Enter Ass Creed 2 and I am not feeling that game as well. I think they went overboard with the whole Italian thing and created something that is a mammoth but I don't want to play it. I have spent about 3-4 hours in and the character development and progression is a bit slow. Again running errands is getting tiresome.

Add more open world to the mix and you have everything that I have on my PC having an open world in one sense or the other. From Torchlight, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3 (can't get into it either), Ass Creed 2, RF3, JC2 and I am looking at the same thing over and over.

Reason I played and finished through ME2, DAO, GTA IV games were the storylines. I also completed Farcry 2 because there was something very cool about that game (gunplay mechanics).

I think thus far, Ass Creed 2 and GTAIV EFLC (still to purchase) might fit the bill out of all that I have but beyond that I see these games as never getting completed.

Other games I am thoroughly enjoying are Metro 2033 (stuck a bit in start of chapter 4 ), BC2 (both SP and MP), DAO Awakening, DiRT 2 and the occassional NFS Shift race.

So which open world games are you planning to complete.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:18 AM   #2
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post

So which open world games are you planning to complete.
ALL OF THEM

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:19 AM   #3
zebra 204
Rage3D Manches Veteran

zebra 204 is still being judged by the masses

GTA4 and FarCry 2 have yet to be beaten. Just don't feel like it.

I dislike the cellphone crap in GTA4 and have no motivation to beat Far Cry 2.

Stalker Clear Sky isn't holding my interest much either. I was really into the game at first though.

To Play List: Everything else

Last edited by zebra 204 : Apr 18, 2010 at 01:21 AM.
zebra 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:40 AM   #4
vertual
Canopus Pure 3D

vertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete stranger

Beat GTA4 and FO3, looking forward to JC2.

The rest? Meh. I don't play the battlefield games, RO3 was boring (once you did the first town/sector thingy you've played the whole game. Not going to play AC2, since AC1 was so repetitive (I had more fun outside the game exploring than actually playing the in-game game).

Missed Far Cry 2, still might pick that up on sale if it comes around cheap enuf.
vertual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:16 AM   #5
SteveButabi
Did you just grab my ass?

SteveButabi is still being judged by the masses

I've been bored to death of open world games for a while now. I am playing through GTA4 currently, but at a slow pace. I have nothing against a game that leads you around by the nose as long as there is a good story and it's just a well made game. Corridor, corridor, corridor does get boring though but that's just bad design by the developers and shouldn't happen these days.

I know people say that part of the fun of open world games is using your imagination and exploring, creating your own fun, playing your own way, ect. but some games just take it too far and leave a large gap in content. Assassins Creed and Far Cry2 I think were the ones that really turned me off from open world games after I played them. I forced myself to finish AC for the story since it grabbed my interest enough. FC2 was just a borefest for me though and I made it to about 50% completion and will never install it again.

GTA and Saints Row do it right. I played right through SR2 and lived with the stuttering because I was having fun the whole time. Fallout 3 was awesome too. So I guess I'm not really bored to death of open world games.......just the ones that lack content and leave too much up to the player.
SteveButabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:19 AM   #6
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I recently finished Saboteur. Best sandbox game i've played since Mafia.

Red faction guerilla was ok. a bit too repetetive.

now i started on AC 2, and gta 4 episodes are downloading. Just cause 2 i have yet to decide on the purchase.

But gta 4 and saboteur are definitely the best i've played i recent years. Saints row 2 would be up there too, but stuttering and the overall crap port job ruin it a bit.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:33 AM   #7
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I've yet to install Saboteur since it had issues with ATi cards. Will install it once I finish off all the crap that is on my PC these days.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:53 AM   #8
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I generally plan to complete all games story modes. But if you mean complete as in 100% then no way I'm not breaking my leg just to show the scar.

I finished Ass Creed 2 story mode and most everything else except for the feathers and treasure (yawn)
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:55 AM   #9
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I was actually relieved when I sat down to play DAO and found out that I wouldn't have to trudge over miles of landscape to get from one relevant area to another.

My main problem with the open world concept is the quest to make the biggest world by making a huge landscape filled with [email protected] Then it takes an hour to get from one spot to another. I would rather them spend that time on making the core of the game better.

I didn't get a chance to play all the way through GTA IV but what I did was pretty fun. Had to listen to my wife complain about four letter words the whole time I was playing it though. I have said it before but a PG dialog option would have been nice.

JC2 is pretty fun and just what I was looking for. A game where I can sit down and screw around for 15-30 minutes without getting locked in.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:03 AM   #10
draz
Radeon R200

draz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra 204 View Post
GTA4 and FarCry 2 have yet to be beaten. Just don't feel like it.

I dislike the cellphone crap in GTA4 and have no motivation to beat Far Cry 2.

Stalker Clear Sky isn't holding my interest much either. I was really into the game at first though.
I can really recommend the cheathappens trainer for Far Cry 2, even if you normally aren't interested in cheating at all. It has a save location feature, which records your current location in-game and then you can teleport back to that location from anywhere on the map at will. This cuts down the boring driving around (as well as dealing with guard posts) in half, which for me at least made the game immensely more enjoyable.

It also has an option to disable the weapons getting worn out, which I used as well - brand new rifle blowing up in your hands after a few clips was just

I didn't think much of Clear Sky, either, but the newest sequel Call of Pripyat was a great game. Worthy sequel to Shadow of Chernobyl for sure.
draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:08 AM   #11
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I really liked Infamous.

BTW Mass Effect 2 isn't really open world.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:14 AM   #12
kn00tcn
zero-zero

kn00tcn is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
Had to listen to my wife complain about four letter words the whole time I was playing it though. I have said it before but a PG dialog option would have been nice.
got headphones?
i wouldnt want PG, but i would want better writing instead of the same swears awkwardly placed (pelham 123 was worse.. 'i f'ing love you'?? the heck is that)
terantino stuff does it right

kickasscop, dont you have a ps3? red dead redemption.... & i dont even like westerns
OpenGL startup crash fix #1 / fix #2 (for < radeon 6000 cards?)
better crossfire for Section8 Prejudice, Hydrophobia, UDK

Last edited by kn00tcn : Apr 18, 2010 at 03:16 AM.
kn00tcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:35 AM   #13
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

GTA4 is hands down the best example of a goode open world. Even it could be better though, whats wrong with a goode linear (ME) or Multipath (Deus Ex) story just placed inside an open world. Somewhere of a mix between Morrowind and Call of Pripyat would make a goode explorable, exciting world.

Now we just need to add all that together.

Thats a key feature though, the ONLY reason for an open world (not talking story interaction here) is exploration, and as of yet there are very few games where the game world itself is actually invigorating or awe inspiring enough to be a game/gameplay feature.

I think the only two games i have found with decent explorable worlds were UO and Guild Wars... there is one spot in the original guild wars where you come round the side of a cliff to see a beautiful floating castle off in the distance... its in the middle of nowhere, there are no story elements there, and the castle was not accessable, yet it was a great use of an open world.

Its like the NFS open world blandness... the first open world NFS: Undercover 2, was goode because it had hidden shops and locals around the map that were worth actually worth looking for because they unlocked options that were actually useful for the game, but the map itself was not so large and bland that it became a hassle. Of course they completely failed on every open world NFS since... but still.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:21 AM   #14
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

So this is an ADD thread, eh?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:35 PM   #15
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:04 PM   #16
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Seems like every thread is an ADD thread for you... .

Back to open world. I like it when its done right...
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:13 PM   #17
sandorski
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sandorski is still being judged by the masses

I love Open World games, but of them all Fallout 3 seems to have the best Travel feature. FC2 was very enjoyable, but the Transit system still required a lot of traveling. Stalker Clear Sky's Guides has more options than FC2's Transit system, but still is too restrictive when/where you can go. GTA:SA had no Travel feature at all, but you could use vehicles at any speed you wanted, which was fun in itself and reasonably quick.

What I like most about this Gametype are the Options in what to do. Most of the time I'm not interested in just accomplishing the next Mission in the Storyline.
sandorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:41 PM   #18
zebra 204
Rage3D Manches Veteran

zebra 204 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by draz View Post
I can really recommend the cheathappens trainer for Far Cry 2, even if you normally aren't interested in cheating at all. It has a save location feature, which records your current location in-game and then you can teleport back to that location from anywhere on the map at will. This cuts down the boring driving around (as well as dealing with guard posts) in half, which for me at least made the game immensely more enjoyable.

It also has an option to disable the weapons getting worn out, which I used as well - brand new rifle blowing up in your hands after a few clips was just

I didn't think much of Clear Sky, either, but the newest sequel Call of Pripyat was a great game. Worthy sequel to Shadow of Chernobyl for sure.

I've actually tried the trainers. None seem to work with the steam version.

Its not so much that I don't like STALKER or FC2, its just It feels kinda like I had my fill. As in I played enough. Simply to repetitive. Lacked any interesting characters, engaging story line, etc. The game mechanics were there but lacked anything of interest to make myself stick with it long enough to finish.

Definitely gonna get the GTA IV expansions when I get the doe.

To Play List: Everything else

Last edited by zebra 204 : Apr 18, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
zebra 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:05 PM   #19
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

A lot of games give the illusion of open world. But the majority still make you do something before you can access certain areas etc or continuation of mission / quest.

Like some one said you can jump and scale walls but you cant get over a small table someone in a wheelchair could.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:12 PM   #20
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
...but you cant get over a small table someone in a wheelchair could.

what kind of badass wheelchairs do you have down in australia that let people get over tables
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:04 AM   #21
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post

what kind of badass wheelchairs do you have down in australia that let people get over tables
Hehe I was been stupid. But you get what I mean.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:02 AM   #22
draz
Radeon R200

draz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra 204 View Post
Its not so much that I don't like STALKER or FC2, its just It feels kinda like I had my fill. As in I played enough. Simply to repetitive. Lacked any interesting characters, engaging story line, etc. The game mechanics were there but lacked anything of interest to make myself stick with it long enough to finish.
Yeah that can definitely happen - with any genre/game type - if you stick with similar games for too long. I for one couldn't bear playing FPS games 24/7, but do a game of Civ4 inbetween for instance, and after that playing another FPS would be no problem. Variety is the spice of gaming, too.
draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:34 AM   #23
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by draz View Post
Yeah that can definitely happen - with any genre/game type - if you stick with similar games for too long. I for one couldn't bear playing FPS games 24/7, but do a game of Civ4 inbetween for instance, and after that playing another FPS would be no problem. Variety is the spice of gaming, too.
yip.
Sundance Kid V2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:49 AM   #24
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
A lot of games give the illusion of open world. But the majority still make you do something before you can access certain areas etc or continuation of mission / quest.

Like some one said you can jump and scale walls but you cant get over a small table someone in a wheelchair could.
In theory its a goode idea for games, but i find in practice you search an area you opened up and then your done with it, on to the next one.

What i want to know is, why give a game a pass time/sleep feature, then give the game a 5 minute day/night cycle... if you are going to give the player an option to wait/speed up time, why not give the game world a 24 hour day/night cycle?

The closest i have seen (without mods) to a goode cycle is Burnout: Paradise City, you can set the time to follow your computer clock

Quote:

Hydraulics and 32 inch tires...
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:48 PM   #25
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-mov...lchairs/310552

My favorite part is the women dancing with in it at her wedding.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:56 PM   #26
Jaillum Malord
Simplify Mufugha

Jaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-mov...lchairs/310552

My favorite part is the women dancing with in it at her wedding.
Is that real

Jaillum Malord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:21 PM   #27
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Here is the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBOT
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:26 PM   #28
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

I had a lot of fun with Prototype. Not a great game, and certainly not played for the storyline, but I did spend hours flying and running around, randomly fighting with no purpose just because I thought the fighting mechanics were fun.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:27 PM   #29
KAC
That postcount though...

Yeah, I missed out on Prototype that is also sitting on my PC. Tonight will install that piece of crap.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:34 PM   #30
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

My son loved Prototype. He played it nonstop for a few days and beat it, then kept on playing even after that for another couple days. Looked kinda cool from what I saw.