Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:01 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Hehe, well, I did get my answer......LOL!

Hanners at EliteBastards seems to have the first article on PhysX power Pack 2:

Quote:
Two new levels for Warmonger—Tombstone and Asylum
- Crazy Machines 2—Featuring GPU-accelerated NVIDIA PhysX effects
- Dark Basic Fluids Demo by Kenneth Bugeja
- Dark Basis PhysX Soft Body Demo by Kenneth Bejega
- NVIDIA PhysX Screensaver
- Power Director 7.0 Trial—with NVIDIA CUDA-accelerated video effects
- TMPGENC XPRESS 4.6.2.266 Trial—with NVIDIA CUDA-accelerated video effects
http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/ind...=643&Itemid=29
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:05 AM   #62
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Here is the link from nVidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/graphi...s/download.asp

Going to find out about Kenneth Bugeja and his demos.

Edit: It seems Kenneth entered the PhysX contest and made an impression -- good for him.

Last edited by SIrPauly : Dec 2, 2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:20 AM   #63
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

It's certainly nice to have a PhysX ability with a single GPU but by adding a cheaper GPU or older GPU for a discrete PhysX GPU -- one garners some additional frame-rate. This is great for my older 8800 GT that is doing nothing right now and can use it for a discrete PhysX GPU. This should be a great option moving forward as hardware improves.

I suppose with Sli or Tri-SLi -- the raw performance of two or three GPU's doing both should be a pretty powerful solution.

Good read from Hanners.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:44 AM   #64
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I've been digging through the links and info in this thread, but not sure yet if this was answered...

I'm curious to hear how PhysX works with 3 cards installed. What I am wondering, if possible, is if I could use my two GTX260's in SLI and then add a 3rd video card dedicated to PhysX (possibly grabbing an 8800GTS/GTX crazy cheap).

I don't want to lose the benefit of SLI performance by dedicated one of my two cards for a PhysX board, and I have the capability to add a 3rd card.

1. Is this possible?
2. Is there enough performance potential to justify DOING (nothing the expense) it?
3. Would I see any gains in games that are currently out (Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Crysis, etc...)?
Yes
Possibly, game dependent and resolution/quality dependent.
No, except for the PhysX levels in UT3, and that free PhysX Game in the last feature pack.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:00 AM   #65
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Here is an article at nZone about CrazyMachines 2:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_cr...2_feature.html
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:28 AM   #66
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I get a bit angry when HavokFx was working years ago with nVidia and ATI with Shader model 3.0 and finally now we are seeing slowly GPU Physics to the end-user.

An older demo with nVidia and HavokFX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGKXP...eature=related
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:31 PM   #67
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

After rereading Hanners piece, you know, the performance with 1920 x 1200 with x4 AA with PhysX on a GeForce 260 192 product is impressive in UT.

http://www.elitebastards.com/hanners...t3-tornado.png

http://www.elitebastards.com/hanners...t3-heatray.png

Considering this is from a single GPU doing 3d, high resolution, with x4 AA/x16AF and Physics and hitting around the 60 average.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:46 PM   #68
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I wish they'd done XP running a 4870 1Gb with a GTX260 216 as physX, to throw some comparisons on how pure GPU physX compares across brands.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:47 PM   #69
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I wish they'd done XP running a 4870 1Gb with a GTX260 216 as physX, to throw some comparisons on how pure GPU physX compares across brands.
Can you do that??? I have a spare 8800GTS 640 now sitting and beginning to gather dust since installing my 4870. If I can put the GTS back in and use it for PhysX, then I get the best of both worlds! PLEASE say this is doable...
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:49 PM   #70
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Only on XP. You can't do it on Vista (doesn't allow more than one driver model to be loaded at a time).
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:50 PM   #71
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Only on XP. You can't do it on Vista (doesn't allow more than one driver model to be loaded at a time).
Darnit! XP isn't an option anymore for me. That's the first real "darnit" about Vista I've had
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:56 PM   #72
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Dual boot! You can spare 12gb for an XP install
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:57 PM   #73
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/60528...ower-pack.html

A small article about the second power Pack and reminds the readers about Mirrors Edge and Bionic Commando. Going to check out if there is anything new about Bionic Commando as of late -- that title should be getting close as well.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 09:54 AM   #74
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Another article on the second power Pack:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6.../Physx_update/
Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:19 PM   #75
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

From Japan:

http://translate.google.com/translat...-8&sl=ja&tl=en

Nice little article that touches on the 3d stereo, second power Pack, and a small interview with Jeff Yen ( Technical Marketing Manager, APAC, NVIDIA) on PhySX over-all?

There is a sceen shot of applications coming but quite can't make it out in the bottom of the page.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:22 PM   #76
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Here they are much bigger --- nice to see some new slides:

http://66.102.1.102/translate_c?hl=e...FdgK9i93jWNjiA
Old Dec 4, 2008, 07:12 AM   #77
Zogrim
Dynamic Eye

Zogrim is still being judged by the masses

Uploaded sample video from Crazy Machines 2+
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0gQ8h2YnnI

Currently, best use of PhysX SPH fluids, I think)
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:37 AM   #78
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Thanks Zogrim!

Here is an article I found by accident with nVidia and HavokFX a few years ago -- has a few PR slides, hehe!

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=303

Edit:

What a great read. Get so angry because gamers could of had GPU Physic potential years ago and would be much more mainstream now, one may imagine, instead of just starting now.

Last edited by SIrPauly : Dec 4, 2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:36 AM   #79
Rambozo
Making Hit Documentaries

Rambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Thanks Zogrim!

Here is an article I found by accident with nVidia and HavokFX a few years ago -- has a few PR slides, hehe!

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=303

Edit:

What a great read. Get so angry because gamers could of had GPU Physic potential years ago and would be much more mainstream now, one may imagine, instead of just starting now.
Well, I blame Intel mostly, and AMD too, both of which are in the business of CPUs. So to move the workload away from the CPU, isn't exactly in their interests. This is why I see AMD supporting Intel with Havok.

Not my fault, I voted Ron Paul.

Not my fault, I voted Badnarik.
Rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:15 PM   #80
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Very political to me. Trying to gauge Sli performance with PhysX and there seems to be some scaling when looking at a 9800GX2 vs 9800GTX -- which are similar cores -- with the 9800GX2 core using a lower clocking on each core.

http://techgage.com/articles/nvidia/physx/07.png
Old Dec 4, 2008, 04:05 PM   #81
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

GX2 has two gpu's rendering, thus higher fps... even with lower physX performance on 1 gpu vs. 9800gtx. 9800gtx sli would likely perform much better than gx2. unless I missed where they restricted it to 1 gpu test.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 04:11 PM   #82
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

What I am trying to gauge is how well Sli will scale in PhysX examples. There isn't a lot of investigations on this -- most of the investigations were with a discrete PhysX GPU and a single GPU. Remember reading some Sli views but can't remember where, hehe!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 04:19 PM   #83
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

I think in part thats because SLI has only recently allowed physx to be enabled with SLI enabled, too.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 05:11 AM   #84
Zogrim
Dynamic Eye

Take a look at some GPU PhysX effects in upcoming Cryostasis
http://www.vimeo.com/2378621
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:02 AM   #85
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Looks nice, thanks for sharing! When listening to the developer in a video interview this title suppose to have the most PhysX effects over-all like frost the on the walls the freeze then unfreeze, etc.

Just glad to see nVidia aggressive to try to bring GPU Physics to the gamer.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 01:45 AM   #86
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogrim View Post
Take a look at some GPU PhysX effects in upcoming Cryostasis
http://www.vimeo.com/2378621
Hmm... It certainly is a good start.

Me being the picky bastard that I am though, the water appears to jelly-like and gloppy, I didn't like the fake water-ripples that were obviously shader-generated and not physics-generated when objects were thrown in the pool of water, and the scripted cloth-waving was obviously not natural movement in a few places.

Still, once again, it's a good start. With time and more power, it'll only get better.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 05:29 AM   #87
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Everything is in steps in my mind-set and the part that I liked is when the wind was moving the water across the table around the objects. There all subtle when you take each individual aspect but when there are a lot of subtle aspects -- really takes hold and raises the bar from a good experience to a great experience to me.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:07 AM   #88
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
We are proud to announce the release of the NVIDIA PhysX Plug-ins for Autodesk 3ds Max and Maya.
http://news.developer.nvidia.com/200...-released.html
Old Dec 8, 2008, 07:23 AM   #89
Zogrim
Dynamic Eye

New PhysX comparison video from Mirrors Edge - contains some scenes not seen in first PhysX trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_B3_upOvmc
Old Dec 8, 2008, 07:31 AM   #90
Zogrim
Dynamic Eye

A-a-and big announcement
"2K GAMES Licenses NVIDIA PhysX Technology For Its Studios Worldwide"
http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1228726921338.html

-----

Oh my...

EA Signed On To License NVIDIA PhysX Technology
http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1228730098452.html

Last edited by Zogrim : Dec 8, 2008 at 07:35 AM.
Zogrim is offline   Reply With Quote