Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 10, 2017, 06:44 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Open world - Wearing me out

Open world games are wearing me out so fast. Every damn thing is an RPG of sorts with an open world with repetitive crap thrown at you. Every single game. It is really becoming a chore to finish even the simplest of games.

Mafia 3 - Why is it open world? Dafuq!
Ghost Recon Wildlands - Why is it open world? Dafuq!
Dying Light - Why is it open world? Dafuq!
Mass Effect Andromeda - Could have done without a full open world? Dafuq!
Division - Again open world? Dafuq!
Gravity Rush 2 - Wanted to play but full on open world!
Horizon Zero Dawn - Love it but open world again!
Deus Ex Mankind Divided - Again open world sort of!
Zelda - Wanted to try but open world.
Nier Automata - Again and RPG almost open world so skipped.

I really appreciated some story driven stuff like Doom, TF2 and COD IW this past few months. Other than that, it seems everything I touch is open world/RPG nonsense. You guys getting tired of this?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 07:34 AM   #2
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I get it.

Doom was super refreshing for me primarily because I could jump in, blast through a nice, well made but linear level and call it a day. Short, sweet and brutal lol.

Heck, that and Dark Souls 3 were the last games I've bought..there just isn't much out there that interests me any more.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 07:43 AM   #3
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Nier automata is open world, like dark souls is open world. It's quite linear in direction, and while there are a few bits to find here and there, you mostly sped your time following along the main plot.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 10, 2017, 08:22 AM   #4
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yeah, have fun playing checklists.

Very few open world games are good or done right. Like Gothic games, or Morrowind for example.

I hated that Witcher 3 became open world, making it my least favorite of the series.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 08:28 AM   #5
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Personally I'm having a great time with Wildlands.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 08:28 AM   #6
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
Nier automata is open world, like dark souls is open world. It's quite linear in direction, and while there are a few bits to find here and there, you mostly sped your time following along the main plot.
nier is done right.

so is Zelda I have only had to run on one or two checklists, and that was at my choice
Old Apr 10, 2017, 09:34 AM   #7
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Open world games are wearing me out so fast. Every damn thing is an RPG of sorts with an open world with repetitive crap thrown at you. Every single game. It is really becoming a chore to finish even the simplest of games.

I really appreciated some story driven stuff like Doom, TF2 and COD IW this past few months. Other than that, it seems everything I touch is open world/RPG nonsense. You guys getting tired of this?
Don't forget Skyrim and Witcher games to a much smaller degree.

You can play any of those games more linearly and finish, or you can choose to explore more. Entirely up to you.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

The trick for me is to stay focused on your objective, and not get side tracked into thinking you need to do everything. Its definitely tough to do this though, especially in the new Zelda where I'm constantly getting distracted by curious things on my way to the next goal.

But yeah, I think open world games are fine if you can convince yourself you don't need to do everything. I can understand the burnout though, and wouldn't be surprised if new games in the coming months/years start to trend back towards linear.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:02 AM   #9
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Another one that I am surprised about was MGS V. Why open world that game? Seriously. That was just retarded.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:09 AM   #10
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Another one that I am surprised about was MGS V. Why open world that game? Seriously. That was just retarded.
I enjoyed that game but yeah I kind of agree. Mainly because I feel like the story depth suffered in favor of a bigger world. It seemed awesome in the beginning but in a Metal Gear game you really want that story with the long cut scenes. It was sorely missed in TPP.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:20 PM   #11
kaarel
Radeon R700

kaarel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz View Post
Very few open world games are good or done right. Like Gothic games, or Morrowind for example.
I love open world RPG-s. But for me the problem is that character usually gets ridiculously powerful too soon and everything becomes pointless. Mods help but eg Skyrim has no such mod that can balance the game so that even after 100 hours game offers challenge.

Gothic 3 (with stun lock disable mod) is my favorite RPG exactly because character/weapons/armor do not become 100x more powerful during the course of the game but merely 2-3x. Same goes for STALKER.

I would completely remove character stat (str, dex, int etc) increase feature from RPGs. New combos, features and some knowledge increase (smithing, spells) is OK.
Lets say from iron to daedric should be max 2x increase. With smithing maybe 3x increase. This way certain lairs should be almost impossible in the beginning and hard in the end. Either way player has to prepare carefully and take a deep breath before entering.
kaarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:45 PM   #12
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

if you removed the stats.. it wouldn't be an rpg.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:53 PM   #13
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I dont mind the open world games. I just think a lot of games are made open world these days to tack on time to the gameplay. If you have to travel from point a to point b then you can add time to the total gameplay of finishing a game.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 01:42 PM   #14
kaarel
Radeon R700

kaarel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
if you removed the stats.. it wouldn't be an rpg.
Probably the same thing was said when devs started to remove dice rolling.

Increasing number of features and possibilities thanks to questing and learning (dodge, attack combos, dual wield, shield bash, specific spells and damage against enemies, potions, poisons , gadgets, traps ...) vs "I am now god because of grind and my blow is now 100x more powerful"

First one rewards thinking and experimenting when using those options player gains, second option is just not challenging
kaarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 01:50 PM   #15
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Wouldn't it be an action adventure game like zelda if you removed stats?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 02:17 PM   #16
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

You read my mind, getting bloody tired of so many open world games, just so the game has 100 hours of filler crap. Even Nintendo has been inspired by ubisoft. Sigh

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 03:40 PM   #17
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think a lot of games are made open world because it feels more massive. I don't mind games being open world or linear, it's a matter of getting their design right and making the worlds believable and interesting. Ubisoft's open world games have completely lost that touch for me (Assassin's Creed, Far Cry), as neither their story lines nor the worlds are very interesting to roam around in anymore.

I loved open world games where the play area would still be somewhat focused, and over the course of the game the player has a significant effect on the world. Outcast and Grand Theft Auto for instance feature worlds that become less or more dangerous, depending on your actions. But in many other games, including GTA5, your actions mostly result in loot and/or buildings, but not changes to the world as a whole.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 04:01 PM   #18
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I get it.

Doom was super refreshing for me primarily because I could jump in, blast through a nice, well made but linear level and call it a day. Short, sweet and brutal lol.

Heck, that and Dark Souls 3 were the last games I've bought..there just isn't much out there that interests me any more.
Agreed!
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 05:24 PM   #19
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

You guys know a new call of dooty comes out every year right?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 07:48 PM   #20
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

So, uh, how about you stop buying so many open world games? Or games for that matter.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy here. It's not like these games have hidden their open world elements. Now is your chance to take a break from open world.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2017, 09:50 PM   #21
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
So, uh, how about you stop buying so many open world games? Or games for that matter.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy here. It's not like these games have hidden their open world elements. Now is your chance to take a break from open world.
That's KAC for you, has he opened the 1080ti sli remorse thread yet?

Sent from my Mi Note 2 using Tapatalk
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:10 PM   #22
KAC
That postcount though...

Another one I don't understand is Homefront Revolution. Why?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 05:44 AM   #23
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

No,I only get tired of whiners.

I love open world games.If you don't like them then don't buy and don't play.
NIGELG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2017, 08:26 AM   #24
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

FPS, they wear me out: know whati mean? all in your face and junk. I mean, do i need to see my hand taking up 1/2 of the screen.
And they are so unrealistic, my eyes are not that far apart.
Some titles include:

Everything ever flippin made evah.

Yea, those suck
Old Apr 11, 2017, 08:30 AM   #25
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
No,I only get tired of whiners.

I love open world games.If you don't like them then don't buy and don't play.
Its more than that. Franchises which were not open world are being made open world because of the trend, and they suffer for it.

Witcher 3 is not good because its open world, its good despite it. Would have been much better without it.

Also open world, when done right, can be very fun. But most games end up being just a big checklist of pointless stuff to do, with stupid mini games and mini this and mini that.

So people can buy open world games in hopes of getting a good game, but thats not always the case.

Its not just about whining.

I would LOVE an open world game in the vein of Gothic, or Ultimate Underworld, or Morrowind, but developers just dont know how to make these without resorting to gimmicks, and pointless filler, and making games too easy and without any depth.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2017, 08:51 AM   #26
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

you should try Zelda yoz.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:13 AM   #27
Darkz0r
Italian Brazilian Rager

Darkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Personally I'm having a great time with Wildlands.
Same here, game constantly makes me laugh due to open world mechanics and specially when things goes wrong playing with other ppl.

Been a while (years) since I paid full price for a game but looks like I'll get 50+ hours out of it. Seems ok to me!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:35 AM   #28
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:41 AM   #29
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Is everyone just attacking this thread cause Kac started it, or is everyone just being a douche, because?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 09:16 AM   #30
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

it was a monday.