Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
greyghost
people are stupid

greyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default So the Heep looks a little rough...

The original paint on my 1994 Jeep Cherokee is still mostly perfect. However, the bumpers are no longer black - the paint has chipped off and generally looks like crapola.

Can I take the bumpers off, sand them, and spray 'em with Rust Oleum?

Actually... do I have to take them off to do it? I have a tape machine If I have to take them off, I don't think I'll actually get around to doing anything with them. Not lazy, just lack TIME.
Hubcaps look cruddy too... don't suppose the same treatment might do (assuming I can find a dull silver gray like the hubcaps were originally).

And then... carpet needs to go. Seriously. Anybody replaced their carpet with rubber matting? How pricey was it? Happy? Not happy?

Last edited by greyghost : Apr 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Tired people make mistakes.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Replace the carpet with vinyl? I don't think that's the route anyone goes... I've seen people replace carpet with spray on truckbed liner, and I fully intend to do that in my 86 3 series, but vinyl I don't think is the popular alternative to carpet...

Taking bumpers off of old vehicles is usually just a couple of bolts. You can spray them with whatever you want as long as it dries hard
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:12 AM   #3
greyghost
people are stupid

greyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete stranger

I meant rubber. Sorry long day. I'll fix the original post.

Thanks for info on the bumper. I may try to do it this weekend...

Last edited by greyghost : Apr 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:20 AM   #4
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

chipped paint on the bumper? good excuse to get a nice aftermarket bumper and winch on your XJ
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:41 PM   #5
greyghost
people are stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropimp View Post
chipped paint on the bumper? good excuse to get a nice aftermarket bumper and winch on your XJ
Ha! Can I get a cool roof rack too?

Any suggestions on hubcaps? Should I just pull some out of a junkyard, assuming they'd be any better?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Ha! Can I get a cool roof rack too?

Any suggestions on hubcaps? Should I just pull some out of a junkyard, assuming they'd be any better?
Cragar soft 8 painted off road rims.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer H276HL | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:44 AM   #7
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Why even run hub caps? Just run steelies, hub caps look worse than steelies IMO.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:27 PM   #8
greyghost
people are stupid

I actually hadn't considered steelies or Cragar. I don't off-road much. Usually just jumping curbs so I can get into blocked parking spaces in downtown Chatty. LOL
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:28 PM   #9
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
And then... carpet needs to go. Seriously. Anybody replaced their carpet with rubber matting? How pricey was it? Happy? Not happy?
Remove the carpet, and insulation.

Rhinolining.

You're welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Remove the carpet, and insulation.

Rhinolining.

You're welcome.
Exactly.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Rad2owns is still being judged by the masses

If you use any stripper, paint or any chemicals buy a good respirator and use it, it will add years to your life and keep crud out of your lungs.
If you Fold The Cure will Come!!!!!
Fold On Forever!!
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...00CC&c5=FFFFFF
Your Thoughts Will Define Your Destiny.
Hidden variables are everywhere.
BF3 KOz1
Rad2owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:18 PM   #12
greyghost
people are stupid

Thanks guys! The rhinolining looks poifect.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:58 AM   #13
curio
BananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Rhinolining is awesome; but if you decide just to paint them (if they are plastic bumpers) the best stuff I've found is Krylon Fusion
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:10 PM   #14
greyghost
people are stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Rhinolining is awesome; but if you decide just to paint them (if they are plastic bumpers) the best stuff I've found is Krylon Fusion
Nope, they're metal. 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4. In that case... oleum, or something better?

I got a little watered-down paint on one of the plastic corners on the bumper - worked at it, not coming off. Suggestions?

I've had her since 1996. She and I go waaaay back. I like to remind the hubby that the Jeep and I have been together much longer than he and I have.

270,000 miles still counting.
Old May 1, 2012, 09:08 AM   #15
curio
BananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Nope, they're metal. 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4. In that case... oleum, or something better?
If they're metal, then any name-brand spray paint should do - check the label and make sure it bonds to metal, and just make sure it's exterior not interior paint. And don't forget to cover everything that you don't want paint on; spray paint has a tendency to get everywhere (including the garage floor/driveway). Painter's tarp and blue tape are your friends. Oh, and don't do it in the wind lol

Quote:
I got a little watered-down paint on one of the plastic corners on the bumper - worked at it, not coming off. Suggestions?
You could try some mineral spirits; when you use it make sure to rub lightly or you might strip off the original paint on the plastic (if it's painted)

-and 270k - that's quite awesome

Last edited by curio : May 1, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 11:50 PM   #16
greyghost
people are stupid

Ok kewl. Newer looking bumper here I come!
Old May 5, 2012, 11:38 PM   #17
voodoo1
Proud OIF Veteran

voodoo1 is still being judged by the masses

Do what we did in the military. Take old mortar tubes and use them for bumpers.
voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote