Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 26, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber
Default iOS7 UI Redesign

So I'm curious... We haven't seen it yet but rumors point to iOS 7 having a redesigned UI where they start cutting out the skeuromorphism and start including more flat, modern UI elements. If this turns out to be true, what're your thoughts on it?

Quote:
For starters, Ive will reportedly banish the mismatched "heavy textures" found across iOS in favor of a unified scheme largely featuring more simple black-and-white tones. It sounds like the wildly divergent visual styles of many default apps like Notes, Game Center, Mail, and Maps would be much more closely linked in this redesign. The apps will apparently be mostly white, but will each have a unique color theme. Ive reportedly has stated that software designs that mimic real-world elements (like iOS Notes and Calendar apps) don't age well.

A few specific examples for the new UI were outlined. The lock screen will do away with the glossy, reflective "slide to unlock" bar in favor of a more muted, black interface, and the numerical entry pad for your lock code will also be redesigned — but it sounds like it'll essentially be the same experience.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/24/43...d-white-design

Quote:
There may also be some new functionality on board, as well — it sounds like Apple may introduce some new Notification Center widgets beyond the Weather and Stocks widgets that have been around since iOS 5.
Again it's all rumor until we see what gets formally unveiled, but it's a pretty loud and persistent rumor and sounds a lot like something Ive would push for.

What do you guys think? iOS simply catching up with the more modern times? Or is Apple starting to borrow design cues from others (widgets from Android, modern UI from WP7/8) rather than the reverse?
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I expect a merger of IOS/Android/WP7. They will use the best of each UI and then say they revolutionized the mobile OS. I will still buy it once they offer a 5" screen
Omega53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
What do you guys think? iOS simply catching up with the more modern times? Or is Apple starting to borrow design cues from others (widgets from Android, modern UI from WP7/8) rather than the reverse?
iOS hasn't been relevant for probably 2-3 years. That is a lot of catching up to do, especially when you think your **** don't stink

Flattening things out is logical, since EVERYTHING is flat now, but as before, it would be an admission they were wrong. I am sure the marketing will take care of it though

Honestly, take away the apps, and what does Apple have? Android, BB, Microsoft, and others need to figure out a way to do a better job on that front.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 26, 2013, 03:10 PM   #4
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
iOS hasn't been relevant for probably 2-3 years.
What does that mean? I'm thinking about jumping ship from apple because the hardware is behind, not the os.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
What does that mean? I'm thinking about jumping ship from apple because the hardware is behind, not the os.
Try another OS for a couple of weeks and see if you want to return to iOS.

The navigation is archaic, the OS is basic and limited, the functionality is wholly dependent on 3'rd party apps to be a usable device, if anything breaks as a result of Apple's software upgrades/updates (be it iTunes or iOS), and you are past your 1 year warranty, you are SOL and have to pay to get your **** working again, unless you get lucky.

The hardware at this time is fine. The OS is badly aging and well behind any of the top players.
Old May 26, 2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Spend some time on another device and you'll see how behind Apple actually is.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 03:59 PM   #7
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Try another OS for a couple of weeks and see if you want to return to iOS.

The navigation is archaic, the OS is basic and limited, the functionality is wholly dependent on 3'rd party apps to be a usable device, if anything breaks as a result of Apple's software upgrades/updates (be it iTunes or iOS), and you are past your 1 year warranty, you are SOL and have to pay to get your **** working again, unless you get lucky.

The hardware at this time is fine. The OS is badly aging and well behind any of the top players.
And yet it's funny that you can run up to Walmart and get a landline phone with no apps, no OS, no syncing, or anything, plug it into a wall, and it does everything your fancypants smartphone is really designed to do.

It's a phone, after all. Do you cry yourself to sleep at night because your car doesn't fly like an airplane does? After all, even though both are just vehicles to get you from place to place, one does it in the air, so it must be better.

That's REAL Rage3D logic at work there, by the way.

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazman View Post
And yet it's funny that you can run up to Walmart and get a landline phone with no apps, no OS, no syncing, or anything, plug it into a wall, and it does everything your fancypants smartphone is really designed to do.

It's a phone, after all. Do you cry yourself to sleep at night because your car doesn't fly like an airplane does? After all, even though both are just vehicles to get you from place to place, one does it in the air, so it must be better.

My smartphone is only designed to be a phone? I think you got your landline wires crossed.

Airplanes are better, they're much faster.
Old May 26, 2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazman View Post

How is that ridiculous "comparison" even remotely relevant?

I thought we were talking smartphones here, specifically UI and related items?
Old May 26, 2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
So I'm curious... We haven't seen it yet but rumors point to iOS 7 having a redesigned UI where they start cutting out the skeuromorphism and start including more flat, modern UI elements. If this turns out to be true, what're your thoughts on it?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/24/43...d-white-design

Again it's all rumor until we see what gets formally unveiled, but it's a pretty loud and persistent rumor and sounds a lot like something Ive would push for.

I'm interested for sure. I swore off iOS after my iP4 but after playing with the 5 at the apple store the other day I was intrigued. I'm very interested in seeing what they have show us at wwdc.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 08:05 PM   #11
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think it's actually going to almost be a WP8 rip off. Where people like FX who hate tiles, will then begin to tell us why Apple's tiles are better and that Apple started it.
Old May 26, 2013, 08:35 PM   #12
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
iOS hasn't been relevant for probably 2-3 years. That is a lot of catching up to do, especially when you think your **** don't stink
Google has introduced it's 3D flyovers and guess what? Same problems everyone jumped all over last year and Google's offering is desktop only. But I guess by having Google putting beta on everything means they can start all sorts of stuff but never finish anything.

Catching up.

Yeah, right....

Quote:
Flattening things out is logical, since EVERYTHING is flat now, but as before, it would be an admission they were wrong. I am sure the marketing will take care of it though
I hate the skeumorphism. They need to get rid of that sh*t. I want my old iCal back. Game Center has been something I deliberately avoid; it's so hideous.

Windows 8 illustrates the perils of revamping an entire UI just to satisfy the demands of tech nerds and hardware reviewers...

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

Last edited by HAL10000 : May 26, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 08:48 PM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
Google has introduced it's 3D flyovers and guess what? Same problems everyone jumped all over last year and Google's offering is desktop only. But I guess by having Google putting beta on everything means they can start all sorts of stuff but never finish anything.

Catching up.

Yeah, right....

I hate the skeumorphism. They need to get rid of that sh*t. I want my old iCal back. Game Center has been something I deliberately avoid; it's so hideous.

Windows 8 illustrates the perils of revamping an entire UI just to satisfy the demands of tech nerds and hardware reviewers...
Google hasn't forced those flyovers or their beta software on anyone like Apple did with Maps. Are you that blind? Apple removed Google Maps from their phones and replaced it with their bastardized piece of crap. Come on man.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:02 PM   #14
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Google hasn't forced those flyovers or their beta software on anyone like Apple did with Maps. Are you that blind? Apple removed Google Maps from their phones and replaced it with their bastardized piece of crap. Come on man.
Apple Maps worked just fine when I used them. Fly over might be useful for others but not for me.

Old May 26, 2013, 09:04 PM   #15
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Catching up.

Yeah, right....
Yes, in terms of their OS, most definitely.

In terms of their Maps functionality and accuracy, most definitely.

Quote:
It isn't just about the looks, it is about the functionality of the OS. I couldn't believe how much I missed having a back button, or how retarded the navigation setup in applications is on iOS when I fired up my iPhone again.

It seriously hurt my brain how awful the design of the OS was. It is simple, sure, but the majority of users aren't 5 years old.

Quote:
Everyone is flattening the look and feel.

Windows 8 is a great example of a design that works on multiple devices. Definitely not perfect by any means, but head and shoulders above iOS. I want more of the gestures integrated in WP8 that are used on W8, that is definitely an area of opportunity.

With regards to iOS, all indications point to the look and feel pushing towards a flatter setup. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'd prefer if they actually innovated on the OS instead of just how it looks.

Regardless, they'll sell tens of millions You shouldn't concern yourself.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:04 PM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Apple Maps worked just fine when I used them. Fly over might be useful for others but not for me.
The issues with Apple Maps have been well documented and not limited to flyover, your personal experience doesn't mean much with the sheer amount of evidence out there.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:50 PM   #17
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Windows 8 is a great example of a design that works on multiple devices.
A business doesn't care about a design that works. They want a design that sells. And Windows 8 is not selling which underscores the actual influence most of these tech writers online and in magazines really have.

Edit: Didn't people say the very same thing about webOS? That it made iOS look "dull" and was "better".

Last edited by HAL10000 : May 26, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:55 PM   #18
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
The issues with Apple Maps have been well documented and not limited to flyover, your personal experience doesn't mean much with the sheer amount of evidence out there.
There's a lot of whining passing off as "evidence" about a coverup in Benghazi, doesn't make much of it true (if any). People like to bitch and play telephone. "My friend said his brother's sisters boyfriend once had his phone blow up in his hand when exposed to the light of a full moon" suddenly becomes "that phone suck because I've tried it at the store once" by the time it finishes it's rounds on the internet.

Old May 26, 2013, 10:03 PM   #19
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
There's a lot of whining passing off as "evidence" about a coverup in Benghazi, doesn't make much of it true (if any). People like to bitch and play telephone. "My friend said his brother's sisters boyfriend once had his phone blow up in his hand when exposed to the light of a full moon" suddenly becomes "that phone suck because I've tried it at the store once" by the time it finishes it's rounds on the internet.
This is like Bill Maher's Dispatches from the Bubble You're definitely in it.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:04 PM   #20
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
A business doesn't care about a design that works. They want a design that sells. And Windows 8 is not selling which underscores the actual influence most of these tech writers online and in magazines really have.
That's the thing with choice.

Android dominates the market, it just keeps getting better and better. WP8 has made a splash in several markets, and the world over, market share is increasing (although still minute compared to the top 2).

Apple is allegedly known for "innovation", and shareholders are putting Cook to the test. He has to deliver and those kinds of pressures do strange things to people. Will they change things up? Will they stick to the same cadence? Can they afford to?

I got fed up of the lack of updates and left. I know a few others have as well. Most have moved over to Android.

As an aside, Windows 8 is selling pretty decently.

Edit: Didn't people say the very same thing about webOS? That it made iOS look "dull" and was "better".[/quote]

WebOS was significantly better than iOS, compared side by side today, it still is. That it didn't sell speaks more to Apple's marketing and the lack of Palm's than the quality of the product.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:15 PM   #21
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
This is like Bill Maher's Dispatches from the Bubble You're definitely in it.
As are you. You're just in your own.

Old May 26, 2013, 10:33 PM   #22
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
That's the thing with choice.

Android dominates the market, it just keeps getting better and better. WP8 has made a splash in several markets, and the world over, market share is increasing (although still minute compared to the top 2).

Apple is allegedly known for "innovation", and shareholders are putting Cook to the test. He has to deliver and those kinds of pressures do strange things to people. Will they change things up? Will they stick to the same cadence? Can they afford to?

I got fed up of the lack of updates and left. I know a few others have as well. Most have moved over to Android.

As an aside, Windows 8 is selling pretty decently.

Edit: Didn't people say the very same thing about webOS? That it made iOS look "dull" and was "better".

WebOS was significantly better than iOS, compared side by side today, it still is. That it didn't sell speaks more to Apple's marketing and the lack of Palm's than the quality of the product.
Microsoft has more marketing employees than Apple has employees in total (excluding Apple Store staff).

Think about it.

People think Apple spends a lot on marketing. They don't. Microsoft gives away free computer hardware to tech reviewers. Apple expects all demo hardware to be returned.

What Apple has done isn't the result of marketing. It's good planning coupled with a market with competitors incapable of mustering any cohesive response. All Apple did was make a well made and well designed product because because it has to. It deals directly with customers. It was also in a niche position that gave it much more flexibility when compared to a Dell or Hewlett Packard, neither have the ability to change the user interface as Apple can.

Was there anything on the iPhone that no one else could have accomplished? No, but at the time "smartphones" were Java on top of Linux (which is what Android is) because the rest of the industry was bereft of talent and/or proper forward-thinking management.

Samsung spent $401 million in advertising last year for it's Galaxy alone (10k filing). Apple spent $333 million on it's mobile devices so it's not quite an apples to oranges comparison (Q4 quarterly analyst conference call) out of a total $2.6 billion (10-q filing), which unfortunately includes "administration costs". Microsoft spent $4.3 billion over roughly the same period in 2012 (10-Q filing) but MS has a line item for administrative (so the number to directly compare with Apple would be $1.1 + $4.3 = $5.4 billion).

Microsoft spent nearly *twice* what Apple did. So who exactly is the company reliant upon marketing?

I'll clue you in: It ain't Apple.

It also shows you how throwing money at a problem often never works. There was an age when shareholders would be up in arms at Microsoft essentially flushing money down the toilet like this but that day and age has come and gone. Now our societies are dominated by bureaucratic mediocrity. The prosaic on the edge of criminal negligence. RIP.

Last edited by HAL10000 : May 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:44 PM   #23
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sazar I really wish I saw Windows Phone OS as you do, because to me its terrible.

My Nokia 620 (Brought it as a Windows Phone OS test device to play with) I cant stand it. The apps are terrible, and compared to iOS I cant seem to think of one real advantage it has over it.

Im currently on Android with a Nexus 4 and its great. But Windows OS....doesnt do anything for me.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 11:08 PM   #24
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Microsoft has more marketing employees than Apple has employees in total (excluding Apple Store staff).

Think about it.

People think Apple spends a lot on marketing. They don't. Microsoft gives away free computer hardware to tech reviewers. Apple expects all demo hardware to be returned.
Apple has better marketing.

Also, how much do you think Apple pays to use publishing rights from all the publications out there? It is certainly not free

Quote:
What Apple has done isn't the result of marketing. It's good planning coupled with a market with competitors incapable of mustering any cohesive response. All Apple did was make a well made and well designed product because because it has to. It deals directly with customers. It was also in a niche position that gave it much more flexibility when compared to a Dell or Hewlett Packard, neither have the ability to change the user interface as Apple can.
It is marketing. And a good time to market. Look at the Wii for example, same thing, it exploded because it was the right product at the right time.

The question now becomes, what next? Will Apple do what is expected (and, frankly, needed) and make massive changes? Or will they stay the course with a basic cosmetic makeover?

Quote:
Was there anything on the iPhone that no one else could have accomplished? No, but at the time "smartphones" were Java on top of Linux (which is what Android is) because the rest of the industry was bereft of talent and/or proper forward-thinking management.
The iphone sucked for the first couple of years. It was only with the introduction of the 3G and the App Store that it hit prime-time. But that was many, many years ago. How long are we going to dwell on "Apple were pioneers with the iphone?". How did that serve BB? Or Palm? Or Microsoft for that matter?

Things change. You innovate, or you stagnate.

Quote:
It also shows you how throwing money at a problem often never works. There was an age when shareholders would be up in arms at Microsoft essentially flushing money down the toilet like this but that day and age has come and gone. Now our societies are dominated by bureaucratic mediocrity. The prosaic on the edge of criminal negligence. RIP.
Microsoft has always had bundles of cash. It can afford to flush money down certain toilets. Google is the same way. Those companies are taking chances. Apple used to take chances. They stopped. The question from the OP is, will they again take up that mantle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
Sazar I really wish I saw Windows Phone OS as you do, because to me its terrible.

My Nokia 620 (Brought it as a Windows Phone OS test device to play with) I cant stand it. The apps are terrible, and compared to iOS I cant seem to think of one real advantage it has over it.

Im currently on Android with a Nexus 4 and its great. But Windows OS....doesnt do anything for me.
The interface and ease of use, especially in a corporate environment, are what really sold me on it. I haven't used the 620, I went for the flagship because of the screen and the camera, and that might be the difference. The 620 is a mid-range/lower-end phone so comparing it directly to an iPhone 5 or Nexus 4 may be pushing things.

However, it ought to stand on it's own, so I hear you on that.

WP8 is not perfect. The last couple of months have seen a lot of tier 1 apps come over, with the metro interface, and they are quite good. The 920 had a number of excellent apps from Nokia already installed and I use them on a regular basis.

There is still an app deficiency, but almost all the apps I used to use on my iPhone are either ported over, or in the works. I expect as the year goes on, we will see more and more progress on that front, especially as market share grows.

With regards to the interface, I prefer it massively over the archaic rubbish on the iPhone. Having a back button is just, so simple and yet so intuitive. It's like using a proper mouse on my computer and then going back to a single-button mouse when I use my iPhone.

But, the phone is smoother, the interface simpler and more intuitive, I can see my information on my live tiles (yes, no notification center natively baked in, but the live tiles are a huge improvement over iOS).

I am typically an early adopter on several fronts, both as part of my job and in my personal life. I have learnt to live with some of the rough edges as a result so my experience is not going to be the same as what you would otherwise experience. However, the Nokia WP8 phone winning Engadgets smartphone of the year award (a bastion for Apple fans, btw) should speak volumes. Also Nokia WP8 devices have a higher average satisfaction rate than any other OS.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia...higher_id42402

Perhaps that flattened interface is a factor in this?
Old May 27, 2013, 06:45 AM   #25
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Apple has better marketing.
Apple has better *everything*.

They have better design (or else Samsung wouldn't have slavishly copied it) than anyone else, which can be attested to the fact other handset manufacturers can't push volume, and when they can, it's a repackaged phone from last year with a new CPU and new name. And quite often, a version of Android from two years ago.

Noticed that Google didn't announce a new version of Android for 2013 at their last conference? They can't get developers; 90%+ comes out on iOS first and ported to Android. That's excluding wallpaper and ringtone apps, of course.

Apple was able to extract the right to issue software updates whenever it saw fit and that alone was monumental but people just don't even grasp the magnitude. That's why Verizon rejected Apple pushing Apple to make a deal with struggling AT&T/Cingular.

Quote:
Also, how much do you think Apple pays to use publishing rights from all the publications out there? It is certainly not free
That's because no other manufacturer out there has a viable consistent market to do so. Apple uses software and content to sell hardware, and no other player out there has the ability to do that. To control both the hardware and software. For the vast majority of Apple's competitors, their software control is the ability to cram junk ware on top of some one-size-fits-all licensed software controlled by a third party that doesn't really care. That basically forces every other entity reliant upon that same software to compete on price, as attested by not just Android makers but also Windows desktop/laptops. How does Dell differentiate from HP with Windows? The plastic on the outside and junkware on the desktop. Same with Android.

Apple is in a very unique position than everyone else here, and it's working for them.

Palm tried and RIM/Blackberry is continuing to try.

Quote:
It is marketing. And a good time to market. Look at the Wii for example, same thing, it exploded because it was the right product at the right time.
Price, design and novelty sold the Wii, not marketing. There was nothing out there like it. In that example, both Apple and Nintendo simply used "marketing" to show people that it was out there. People saw how the thing worked, and also heard how their friends enjoyed it, and so went to get their own copy. Also, the Wii had a much, much broader appeal than the Xbox and PS3 at the same time; just look at the paradigms in software. The Wii wasn't designed for hypercaffeinated fifteen year olds with ADHD smoking up on crank...

Quote:
The question now becomes, what next? Will Apple do what is expected (and, frankly, needed) and make massive changes? Or will they stay the course with a basic cosmetic makeover?
Really? You didn't just go there. Microsoft introduced radical new changes to it's product line and it's going oh-so-fantastic for them. Same with RIM/Blackberry. <sarcasm>Or how about New Coke? That was a stellar innovation by that company that no one remembers. </sarcasm>

You can pretend all you want that innovation drives things, but it's literally a minor component. People think that things can be radically changed all the time but are simply not feasible.

Also, it's not without irony that your views on the need for innovation is what marketeers from other companies constantly say when they cannot tout the merits of their own product line. They create the idea that their inferior product is better because they use tiles instead of the "old and dated" icon system.

Tiles are working oh-so-well for Microsoft's products.

Quote:
Things change. You innovate, or you stagnate.
Like Windows 8? Like Dell, who has seen it's market cap obliterated and going private equity? Yeah, Michael should just shut down Dell and give money back to their shareholders. According to you, Apple hasn't innovated for years and by now should have been driven out of business.

Apple's only real threat at this time is the sh**ty economy, and I figured we'd have seen the effects of that by now.

Quote:
Microsoft has always had bundles of cash. It can afford to flush money down certain toilets. Google is the same way. Those companies are taking chances. Apple used to take chances. They stopped. The question from the OP is, will they again take up that mantle?
That's where you're wrong. Apple *never* took chances with introduced products. *Ever*. The only thing Apple really has done is introduce products that worked properly, something it's competitors really never could do (and seems they still can't). The personal mp3 player with the iPod, the smartphone with the iPhone, and the tablet with the iPad. Each product is based upon development that went on before it, especially from the software standpoint and that's why things are paying off for Apple.

That's a flaw with the competitors more than something magical about Apple marketing. Think of it this way. It took another third party from outside the cellphone industry to finally take the existing model of "Java over Linux" and make it finally sell; Android is just merely a marketed version of "Java over Linux." And I use the term "sell" here rather loosely because Android is given away for free. Look at attempts to make software never bore fruit (Nokia, Motorola) or never even tried (HTC)? These were established and profitable companies that truly stagnated but they stagnated on *all* fronts.

Last edited by HAL10000 : May 27, 2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:24 AM   #26
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Apple has better *everything*.

They have better design (or else Samsung wouldn't have slavishly copied it) than anyone else, which can be attested to the fact other handset manufacturers can't push volume, and when they can, it's a repackaged phone from last year with a new CPU and new name. And quite often, a version of Android from two years ago.
Notice the various patent losses over the past few years, outside of California, for Samsung and Android. Slavishly copied is a term you can also apply to Apple and Ive borrowing from Sony's designs. Regardless, this has little bearing on the UI.

Quote:
Really? You didn't just go there. Microsoft introduced radical new changes to it's product line and it's going oh-so-fantastic for them. Same with RIM/Blackberry. <sarcasm>Or how about New Coke? That was a stellar innovation by that company that no one remembers. </sarcasm>
Why do you hate innovation?

Quote:
You can pretend all you want that innovation drives things, but it's literally a minor component. People think that things can be radically changed all the time but are simply not feasible.
You don't have to radically change things but again, I don't get your hate, or defense AGAINST innovation. I know Apple is going to sell a bunch of phones. It has fantastic marketing. They have a very good product, it is simply lagging behind the other flagships, as it has for a couple of years now.

Quote:
Tiles are working oh-so-well for Microsoft's products.
I like em. Android users like em. I prefer not having to launch applications if I can see information at a glance.

/me shrugs

Quote:
Like Windows 8? Like Dell, who has seen it's market cap obliterated and going private equity? Yeah, Michael should just shut down Dell and give money back to their shareholders. According to you, Apple hasn't innovated for years and by now should have been driven out of business.
When did I say Apple should be driven out of business? Apple is experiencing the same issues as Dell, but on a different scale. What Michael is doing is logical. You may recall it wasn't but a few short years ago that Apple was about to go under and needed a cash infusion/investment from Microsoft to stay afloat.

These things happen. Today's investors are all about short-term gain, and this is why when I look at a company like Google taking all those chances (self-driving car, glasses, so on and so forth), it is refreshing.

Quote:
That's where you're wrong. Apple *never* took chances with introduced products. *Ever*. The only thing Apple really has done is introduce products that worked properly, something it's competitors really never could do (and seems they still can't).
Some things, like the current anti-trust/collusion case for eBooks indicates, helped. I am sure

Quote:
That's a flaw with the competitors more than something magical about Apple marketing.
There is nothing with iOS and the devices it runs on that is flawed? You have spent a lot of time defending iOS without actually talking about iOS. You've talked about how rubbish Dell, Microsoft, Samsung, Google, and what have you are. But you haven't really talked much about iOS.

iOS is old, it is archaic, it is not much beyond a fancy app launcher. It is lagging behind badly in features and functionality and navigability compared to it's competitors.

When it came out, it was a standard bearer, it was fresh, functional, effective. It hasn't really changed since then and it is no longer fresh, functional and effective.

I love the apps designed for it because it is option 1 for many developers as you said. We have another thread in this section which specifically addresses how iOS retards development on other platforms, particularly Android, and retards progress as a result.

However, going back to the UI, the functionality and so forth, it sounds like you think it's the bees knees. That's fine, I expressed my opinion, you expressed yours, Apple will make a ton of sales regardless of how I feel. It won't stop my asking them to innovate again.
Old May 27, 2013, 02:22 PM   #27
chigger_ns
Do the Xmas Cart-moon

chigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

...............Back to iOS7.........

If the app switcher is close to the good one known as Auxo, ill be happy.
Its the one tweak I love.
Old May 27, 2013, 02:59 PM   #28
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

If they did more for the functionality, perhaps introduce more customizability/widgets and stuff like that, I would be so happy

Check this for information for my Nest thermostat.

Right now, iOS 6 is abysmal

The app switcher is pretty bad too, yes.
Old May 27, 2013, 05:09 PM   #29
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
I expect a merger of IOS/Android/WP7. They will use the best of each UI and then say they revolutionized the mobile OS. I will still buy it once they offer a 5" screen
And then sue everyone else for copying them.
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 06:11 PM   #30
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

You can fault Apple for a lot, but their design overall has always been tops. Whatever they do to the OS from a design aspect will probably be very solid. What you guys are NOT asking is the big question... what about features, and performance? I'd like to see Siri expanded and improved upon.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote