Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Nov 30, 2005, 03:59 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Vorpal
Radeon R700

Vorpal is still being judged by the masses

Default 100 Million PlayStation 2's shipped

I guess that's somewhere around 100M units in 6 years. I still remember when they started selling them. Back then all the Fry's Electronics stores were Incredible Universes owned by the Tandy Corporation. The 360 launch looked tame to the lines I remember when they started selling it.

I wonder what a launch comparison of the 360 and PS2 would look like? 10:1 purchases?

Anyway... 100 Million a massive record breaker the 360 will never live to see.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140574.html.
Vorpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 04:03 PM   #2
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

LOL, All the Sony fanboys responding to that article is priceless.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 04:11 PM   #3
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 30, 2005, 04:27 PM   #4
Vorpal
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5
LOL, All the Sony fanboys responding to that article is priceless.
Ah, at least I don't have to hang my PS2 power supply up on a string so the unit doesn't crash.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 04:39 PM   #5
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal
Ah, at least I don't have to hang my PS2 power supply up on a string so the unit doesn't crash.
Mine's running just fine. The power brick gets mildly warm at best and it's lying flat on a hard surface in a semi-enclosed space. Any crash issues are isolated cases. Take your potshots elsewhere.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 04:47 PM   #6
Takezo
Tech Ninja

Takezo is still being judged by the masses

100 million? That's 20 million units a year for the last 5 years. 20 Million units a year is impressive. 22 million in Japan alone counts as one fith of Sony's sales. An impresive feat for a country that is but a shadow compared to ours. That's 22 million sales that will be exclusive to Sony even after the Xbox 360. This is important, because it will prevent Japanese blockbusters from being ported over to the Xbox. Sony launch has very sought after Japanese blockbusters that will give Sony a great launch. Don't be suprized if some people sell their 360's to get one at launch.

Xbox live is the only weapon that MS has to keep customers after launch of the PS3. The market in the end will be split from MS live players and Devote fans of Sony's launch titles. Nither side will aquire any new fans than ones they had previously.

A price war will erupt, first adopters will be screwed, game prices will increase, innovation will decrease, clones and sequels will be released one after the other. The death of gaming is assured.

Sure the games they have out there now may be fun for a while, and playing them online is cool. Just wait till the entire market is saturated with the very same games you play now. Just as MMORPG players play them selfs sick of the game they regard as the second comming of Jesus. Gamers too, will become sick of these games eventualy.

It's imposible for the averaged minded person to understand now, but wait the next 5 years. Then you will understand.
Takezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:06 PM   #7
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
The first PS2s were crap. I know I have one.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:11 PM   #8
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Ah atleast I didnt have to return 40 PS2s to get one with a working drive on launch. Ahh atleast I didnt have to return 423948234923 PSPs to get one without dust/Dead pixels at launch.

Everything has problems at launch, you are obviously blinded by your fanboism.

EDIT*** My 360 also has yet to crash or have any problems with it. Guess I am just lucky huh?
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:13 PM   #9
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

err... I dont have a 360 if thats what you are inquiering.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:17 PM   #10
LimeyGeeza
Get down with da sickness

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed
Ah atleast I didnt have to return 40 PS2s to get one with a working drive on launch. Ahh atleast I didnt have to return 423948234923 PSPs to get one without dust/Dead pixels at launch.

Everything has problems at launch, you are obviously blinded by your fanboism.
I still use my release day PS2 and it works flawlessly I also have a release day PSP with no dead pixels.

Just remember - you hear more about the failures than you the success stories.
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:17 PM   #11
Vorpal
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy
The first PS2s were crap. I know I have one.
Me too... I've put a lot of hours on it and it still works perfectly.

User error.

And my PSP has no dead pixels. Two are stuck I think - I need to run that untick video sometime.

Last edited by Vorpal : Nov 30, 2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:22 PM   #12
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:

User error.
User error...

No smart ass, it doesn't play DVDs worth a damn.

Most of my friends that bought when I did have had to replace theirs because of faulty trays. I got lucky with that.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:29 PM   #13
vazel
Banned

vazel is still being judged by the masses

rofl! i love it when they claim 'user error'. everything has a few problems, and yes, i too remember the problems with the laser on first gen ps2 hardware having problems reading data. only in the era of forums where any whiny brat can register and post we hear more and more about this stuff.
vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:30 PM   #14
Miikkrusoff
Rage3D Veteran

Miikkrusoff is still being judged by the masses

I knew it! The PS2 Rawks!!!!!!! I can't wait for the PS3, I've already begun saving 4 it. I loove Sony. ^-^
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:39 PM   #15
Vorpal
Radeon R700

Actually from that article:

PS1: 7,800 Games
PS2: 6,200 Games

Which means the PS2 has 14,000 playable games and the PS3 will have the same number playable at launch. Also add in the rumored ability to play all PSP games on the PS3....

Opps.... the Xbox only has 894 total games. And backwards compatability does not include all of those games. That's just sad.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 06:06 PM   #16
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyGeeza
I still use my release day PS2 and it works flawlessly I also have a release day PSP with no dead pixels.

Just remember - you hear more about the failures than you the success stories.
100% agree that you here more failure stories than success. But my PSP has 3 dead pixels, cousin's has 4. And I had to return my launched PS2 several times.

But guys its just user error! LAWL

Vorporal wanna tell me how many of those PS2 games were actually good? There are so many crap games on that system its horrifying.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:01 PM   #17
chew
no

chew is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Actually from that article:

PS1: 7,800 Games
PS2: 6,200 Games

Which means the PS2 has 14,000 playable games and the PS3 will have the same number playable at launch. Also add in the rumored ability to play all PSP games on the PS3....

Opps.... the Xbox only has 894 total games. And backwards compatability does not include all of those games. That's just sad.
14000 games which only 0.02% of which are worth playing. Get the sony stick outa your ass and try again.
chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:37 PM   #18
Vorpal
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chew
14000 games which only 0.02% of which are worth playing. Get the sony stick outa your ass and try again.
LOL, I have a 360. You guys are you easy.

Although I'd say that PS2 had many more 90%+ games than the Xbox.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:24 PM   #19
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
LOL, I have a 360. You guys are you easy.

Although I'd say that PS2 had many more 90%+ games than the Xbox.
I owned PS2 GCN and Xbox and while I was mainly a PC person around the time I would say Xbox had more big hits or about the same. There are just far far too many crappy generic RPGs on PS2 that clutter everything.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:30 PM   #20
_leech_
Banned

_leech_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed
Quote:
Anyone notice how biased people always seem to use very wild exaggerations to try and prove thier points instead of facts?

Anyways, carry on.
_leech_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:36 PM   #21
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _leech_
Anyone notice how biased people always seem to use very wild exaggerations to try and prove thier points instead of facts?

Anyways, carry on.
Yes I REALLY meant I returned 40 PS2s and 4289472389423 PSPs
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:37 PM   #22
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The sony fanboys are coming out of the wood work! LOL! I find it to funny watching you trying to explain away the sony problems, I have a PSP and like it but I am in no way going to justify the problems my PSP's have had, First one had dust, 3 Bad pixels and also liked to shutdown when it felt like it, With full battery charge, Second one that I stuck with has one dead pixel and also likes to shutdown sometimes, No where as much as the first. Skipped the PS2 all togeather because it didnt blow the Dreamcast away at the time and My guess I will be skipping the PS3 as I really dont think it is going to offer much over the XB360 if anything. Now fanyboys go back to your closets where you belong.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:38 PM   #23
vazel
Banned

vazel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Anyways, carry on.
lol, your one to talk. fanboys have their own kind of 'facts' so displaying real facts and analysis from respected sources to them does nothing.
vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:39 PM   #24
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24
The sony fanboys are coming out of the wood work! LOL! I find it to funny watching you trying to explain away the sony problems, I have a PSP and like it but I am in no way going to justify the problems my PSP's have had, First one had dust, 3 Bad pixels and also liked to shutdown when it felt like it, With full battery charge, Second one that I stuck with has one dead pixel and also likes to shutdown sometimes, No where as much as the first. Skipped the PS2 all togeather because it didnt blow the Dreamcast away at the time and My guess I will be skipping the PS3 as I really dont think it is going to offer much over the XB360 if anything. Now fanyboys go back to your closets where you belong.
No no no Nascar stop being logical!

I mean come on I have like 20 PS2 games a PS2 a GCN and an Xbox/360 PSP DS/GBA/GBC and a PC. But somehow SOMEHOW when I comment on a system I am a fanboy to that system because what I say is true.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:43 PM   #25
chew
no

chew is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Anyways, carry on.
How is 280 games exaggerating?

name em leech.
chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:49 PM   #26
_leech_
Banned

Quote:
How is 280 games exaggerating?

name em leech.
First of all, 0.02% of 14000 isn't 280, it's 2.8. Secondly, it's an exaggeration because "games worth playing" is a personal opinion. What you find worth playing isn't what other people may find worth playing and vice versa. Some people may very well be able to name a large selection (or 2.8, lol) of titles they find worth playing, others may not, especially those who don't own the system in question.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:53 PM   #27
SSXeon
CAPS CAPS CAPS

SSXeon once held a door open for a complete strangerSSXeon once held a door open for a complete strangerSSXeon once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24

Xbox360 pwns j00! I had 2 ps2s, both screwed up and my friend has 4 that he has to open to work. PS3 will be pretty fast, but HDR+AA and raw 44pp power the Xbox360 is just better IMHO. I need to save up for a HDTV, S-Video is still 30fps right?

SSXeon

Thermaltake Core V51
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7Ghz (1.23V)
Wrath Spire HSF w/ MX4 @ 2500RPM
MSI B350 Tomahawk
16GB Corsair LPX 2400Mhz 14-16-16-31
500GB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD (OS)
2TB WD Red HDD
Nvidia RTX 2080 SUPER FE 8GB @ 1650/1935/7751Mhz
Dell 27" S2716DG 1440p @ 144Hz
Razor DeathAdder 6400dpi Mouse
Corsair K55 RGB Gaming Keyboard
Xbox One Wireless Controller
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
WHQL 431.60

Coolermaster N200
Intel Core-i3 4170 @ 3.7Ghz
Xigmatek 1283 HSF + Thermaltake CL-F005
MSI H81M-P33
8GB Corsair Vengence 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24
500GB WD Blue HDD (OS)
2TB WD Red HDD
2TB WD Red HDD
Intel HD 4400 350/1150Mhz
Corsair CX600 PSU
Dell 21.5" S2209WB 1080p @ 60Hz
Razor Lachesis 5400dpi Mouse
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
WHQL 15.36.28.4332

Thermaltake Versa H15
AMD Ryzen 3 1300X @ 3.5Ghz
Wrath Stealth HSF w/ MX4
8GB Corsair LPX 2400Mhz 14-16-16-31
1TB WD Blue HDD (OS)
EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB @ 1216/1367/3500MHz
Oculus Rift Touch
Samsung 55" MU6290 HDR 2160p @ 60Hz
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
WHQL 388.00

Dell Latitude 5270
Intel Core-i5 6300u @ 2.4Ghz
4GB DDR4 2133Mhz
500GB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD (OS)
Intel HD 520 300/1050Mhz
Dell 12.5" 768p @ 60Hz
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
WHQL 20.19.15.4390

SSXeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:01 PM   #28
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

P1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

User error.
User error.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:15 PM   #29
lukilla
Radeon Northern Islands

lukilla is still being judged by the masses

100 millions...thats tricky, that number doesn´t mean that 100 million people around the world bought a ps2....A big chunk of those ps2 are actually replacements for warranty claims, despite the fact that sony fanboys bought 2 or 3 ps2 for x or y reason.
lukilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:19 PM   #30
_leech_
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukilla
100 millions...thats tricky, that number doesn´t mean that 100 million people around the world bought a ps2....A big chunk of those ps2 are actually replacements for warranty claims, despite the fact that sony fanboys bought 2 or 3 ps2 for x or y reason.
It's 100 million shipped, not 100 million sold, it's right there in the title