Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jul 6, 2016, 05:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

saumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Is it a good time to buy a new GPU?

My current GPU is an R7 250x (basically a rebranded HD 7770). And I want to play Doom.

I am looking at getting a GTX 970.
I know most would recommend getting a GTX 1070, but in my country the GPU prices are flat-out stupid and greedy .

GTX 970 costs $370
RX 480 costs $450
GTX 1070 costs $600

So a GTX 970 makes the most sense considering how close they are in terms of performance.
Unless, there's something significant to hold out for in the coming 3 months?

TLDR: Should I go ahead with the GTX 970 or is something much better gonna arrive in the next 3 months?
saumilsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2016, 05:53 PM   #2
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

What about the fury/390x?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2016, 05:53 PM   #3
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Even if something new is released would it not be too expensive for you? The 1060 should release soon.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 6, 2016, 06:19 PM   #4
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

I would wait 1-2 months and check the prices then

The prices now are stupid on most high end gpus

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2016, 06:37 PM   #5
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

saumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete stranger

Prices here don't change like the rest of the world.
The R7 250x still costs $150 here .

Incase anyone is wondering, I am in India.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 07:55 PM   #6
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Yeah india has been a mainstay of high GPU prices for the past couple years. I'd try and get my hands on a 1070 if it's at all possible. Unless you can find a second hand 980ti for a good price.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 01:43 AM   #7
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

No, it's an incredibly bad time, I'd say. Wait until AMD comes out with Vega in October. That will increase competition on the high end and should push prices down throughout the entire stack. As the 1080 and 1070 (and 1060?) supply builds up it should also push prices down for the last gen.

Don't buy a 970 right now unless you absolutely cannot wait.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2016, 08:11 AM   #8
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Wait until AMD comes out with Vega in October. That will increase competition
Agree with everything you said except that...b/c sadly, it won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:23 PM   #9
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Id get the 390 over the 970 hands down depending on prices.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2016, 09:25 PM   #10
The Luggage
Life is Good

The Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
No, it's an incredibly bad time, I'd say. Wait until AMD comes out with Vega in October. That will increase competition on the high end and should push prices down throughout the entire stack. As the 1080 and 1070 (and 1060?) supply builds up it should also push prices down for the last gen.

Don't buy a 970 right now unless you absolutely cannot wait.
It's it coming out in October? Thought that was just a rumor from the semi-accurate forums. Doesn't the AMD road map day Q1 2017
The Luggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2016, 09:47 PM   #11
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Id get the 390 over the 970 hands down depending on prices.
I don't see why you wouldn't wait a week or two for RX 480 AIB boards if you were going to purchase either of those cards. That Sapphire Nitro is one sexy looking card.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:25 PM   #12
Faceless Rebel
Rage3D Veteran

Faceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFaceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The 1060 is about to launch?
Faceless Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:36 PM   #13
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yeah wait to see what the 1060 price launches at, you don't want 3.5GB 970 to hold you back.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:43 PM   #14
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post
The 1060 is about to launch?
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34028533

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:14 AM   #15
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
I don't see why you wouldn't wait a week or two for RX 480 AIB boards if you were going to purchase either of those cards. That Sapphire Nitro is one sexy looking card.
EAT prices are nuts. I dont expect MSRP until the fall.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2016, 01:07 AM   #16
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

If the AIB 480s can run significantly faster than the reference that would put them on par with a 390X or so. It will be interesting to see if that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
Agree with everything you said except that...b/c sadly, it won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Luggage View Post
It's it coming out in October? Thought that was just a rumor from the semi-accurate forums. Doesn't the AMD road map day Q1 2017
Yeah, I guess the October thing was just a rumor. It seems Vega isn't coming until next March. I still think that waiting a couple of months for the supply of the newer chips to get better and start affecting the older stuff is a good idea though.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 03:45 PM   #17
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

So vega isn't coming out till next year? Just found an ASUS 1070 strix on jet.com for 396 shipped. Bout to pull the trigger on that. I hate ASUS so much though.

Old Jul 9, 2016, 07:25 PM   #18
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

Nvidia has suggested a pricing of Rs.23,000 for the GTX 1060 in India.
That's $340.

That'd be a really good GPU for my budget considering I am paying $320 for an ASUS STRIX 970.

Of course in this country by the time the distributors get their greedy paws on it, the thing will end up costing $400 .
Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:40 PM   #19
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumilsingh View Post
That's $340.

That'd be a really good GPU for my budget considering I am paying $320 for an ASUS STRIX 970.

Of course in this country by the time the distributors get their greedy paws on it, the thing will end up costing $400 .
RX 480?
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2016, 04:40 AM   #20
Nagorak

Quote:
That's $340.

It sounds like you really get screwed on the prices of equipment in India. Is it possibly cheaper to just have it delivered from abroad, or does that not work either?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 05:10 AM   #21
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Why not import from Amazon.com?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2016, 01:23 PM   #22
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

I did the math for importing stuff; after the shipping charges and our ridiculous custom duty, it ends up being almost the same as buying locally.

And I'd miss out on local warranty.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 06:01 PM   #23
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

atomBomb is still being judged by the masses

Would be good market for used 970/980 heck even 980TI.
Ask KAC for good price on 980ti

pc-masterrace
atomBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2016, 09:43 PM   #24
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

I can't import any 'used' electronic items into India unless I have an acquaintance bring it with them as a personal belonging.
Otherwise it will be seized at customs.
Not only will they confiscate the item, but I will be fined for trying to bring 'electronic waste' into the country.

I swear I am not making this **** up .
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:22 AM   #25
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I think I am going to put my 980 Tis on sale. For shits and kicks to see what's up!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2016, 02:11 AM   #26
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I think I am going to put my 980 Tis on sale. For shits and kicks to see what's up!
It's a fighting in you KAC... One side see not real gains from going to 1080 but one side wants so badly the best and real man's cards
980ti isn't the real man's cards anymore ...
The question is how you make peace and unite the sides ... The result will quite intersting ...
Old Jul 15, 2016, 08:28 AM   #27
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I'll give you $100 USD for both, and will throw in some nude selfies to pay for the shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2016, 09:15 AM   #28
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
I can't import any 'used' electronic items into India unless I have an acquaintance bring it with them as a personal belonging.
Otherwise it will be seized at customs.
Not only will they confiscate the item, but I will be fined for trying to bring 'electronic waste' into the country.

I swear I am not making this **** up .
saumi can you wait a little bit for the 470 or NV's equal? That should give you the performance you want with a lower price tag? I'd say anytime is a good time to upgrade but keep forgetting I live in the US where prices tend to be much better....blah
Old Jul 15, 2016, 04:20 PM   #29
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

These were the best deals available to me:

- Used EVGA 980ti for $480 (no remaining warranty)
- Almost new ASUS STRIX 390X for $320 (the owner bought it in US, so no local warranty)
- New ASUS STRIX GTX 970 for $320 (full local warranty)

Bought the ASUS GTX970 for the local warranty safety net.
The ASUS 390X was tempting but I'd have been screwed if it ever died on me.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 05:22 PM   #30
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Still think you should have waited, but at least it should still be a decent upgrade.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote