Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Shark
Pain

Shark is still being judged by the masses

Default Is it a good time to buy a new PC now?

my current PC was built in 2008,

Motherboard:
CPU Type: QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 2833 MHz (8.5 x 333)
Motherboard Name : Asus Striker II Extreme (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI

System Memory 4096 MB (DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM)
DIMM1: OCZ OCZ3X13332G 2 GB DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM (6-6-6-16 @ 533 MHz) (5-5-5-14 @ 444 MHz)
DIMM2: OCZ OCZ3X13332G 2 GB DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM (6-6-6-16 @ 533 MHz) (5-5-5-14 @ 444 MHz)

BIOS Type: Award (09/18/08)
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

----------------------
I noticed that current graphics card are very expensive (ATI 9700pro in 2003 cost was $300, now top card nVidia GTX 970 cost around $1000)

gaming wise, is it worth buying a new gaming PC?
www.digitalstormonline.com has nice built in gaming PCs but very expensive.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:08 PM   #2
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I think it is worth it but I am biased. You can have a nice PC for about 1000 bucks that can run all latest games. I think you are referring to GTX 690 that is 1000 USD but that is essentially an SLI setup in disguise. For most cases you do not need it. A Dual 670 GTX setup can be faster than a GTX 690 and can cost as much as 740 USD.

Either way, you can have a sub-1000 USD PC and that is what is important.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Pickup a 7950 for under 300 and get 3 new games to go with it. More then enough horsepower for today's games or should I say console ports.
Nascar24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Sobek
Radeon R700

Sobek is still being judged by the masses

I'd have to agree... I'm personally running a Q6600 (3.42ghz overclock) with two 6870's in crossfire and 4gb of ddr-something-o-rather. So far, there's really not being much I can't play maxed out on this system. Occasionally framerates aren't as high as I would like, but everything stays playable and pretty.

I was real close to just buying a whole new PC last month but after stopping and thinking about it, I realised there was just no need. The most I would do is replace my 6870's with a 7970 or something, and that's only because I would want a bit more VRAM.

Stick with what you've got, and chuck in a new videocard.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:45 PM   #5
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

OC the CPU and get a better GPU. Posibly more RAM if you are into battlefield 3. it will last you for another year at least until the CPU really starts being a bottleneck that you can notice.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
Is it a good time to buy a new PC now?
no... I am saying that just in general. buying a PC should be around the time of new consoles or later.
I got my PC in 2007 and with few upgrades it is still going and is enough for most games.
I will probably get a new PC in 2014 (after PS4 release).
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:28 PM   #7
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
no... I am saying that just in general. buying a PC should be around the time of new consoles or later.
I got my PC in 2007 and with few upgrades it is still going and is enough for most games.
I will probably get a new PC in 2014 (after PS4 release).
This is basically what I would say. If you build a system this year, there is a decent chance it will struggle with next gen cross platform titles. Better to wait until a few next gen cross platform titles are released and we have a better idea of what kind of PC you will need for the next 7 years to keep the console kiddies from laughing at your rig.

For now you can put a little overclock and that CPU. The GTX 280 should still run most things pretty well.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I wouldn't wait if I were you. Haswell is still more than half a year off. If your line of work does not require a lot of processing horsepower, you'd hardly notice a difference with Ivy Bridge anyway. Video cards are cheaper than ever; the Geforce 650Ti (sorry Rage) is an absolute steal at USD160. Should be able to handle most games maxed at 1080p with reasonable framerates.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:55 AM   #9
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

just get a slightly better video card and enjoy
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:03 AM   #10
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Pickup a 7950 for under 300 and get 3 new games to go with it. More then enough horsepower for today's games or should I say console ports.
yip.. most games are console ports. My 560ti plays games awesomely and you can pick that up cheap.
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:35 AM   #11
Rayder
Radeon Northern Islands

Rayder is still being judged by the masses

Until the DX11-capable CONsoles come out to give the current high-end PC's some PORTS that actually tax them by genuinely utilizing DX10/11 functions and features natively, you could probably get away with just buying a new GPU for your current rig. If you're running Vista or Win7 (you didn't specify an OS), doubling your RAM would help.

After that, you could probably wait until MS and Sony release their next CONsoles before you need to worry about a whole new rig to play the "more demanding" PORTS that will inevitably follow.

tl;dr

Just put a new GPU in your current rig and you should be good until the new CONsoles hit.
Rayder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:39 AM   #12
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

If you ARE no longer SATISFIED with the fps you ARE getting in newish GAMES, then go ahead and buy a new GPU, otherwise wait for the new conSOLES before upgrading your PC.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:12 AM   #13
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

get an i5/7 ivy and a gtx670. And your set for a long time

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:17 AM   #14
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
I'd have to agree... I'm personally running a Q6600 (3.42ghz overclock) with two 6870's in crossfire and 4gb of ddr-something-o-rather. So far, there's really not being much I can't play maxed out on this system. Occasionally framerates aren't as high as I would like, but everything stays playable and pretty.

I was real close to just buying a whole new PC last month but after stopping and thinking about it, I realised there was just no need. The most I would do is replace my 6870's with a 7970 or something, and that's only because I would want a bit more VRAM.

Stick with what you've got, and chuck in a new videocard.

Try Guild Wars 2. I have a very similar setup to yours, and GW2 brings my system to it's knees, especially in large towns and PVP. In many cases, the game runs like absolute ****.

I'm going to upgrade to an i5 soon I hope.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:19 AM   #15
abdecken5
Rage3D Veteran

abdecken5 is still being judged by the masses

get a new GPU with 2 gigs or more of RAM and you will be running everything at max.
abdecken5 is offline   Reply With Quote