Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 18, 2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Reuters Summit-UPDATE 3-Nvidia head sees competition for iPad

Jen Huang (CEO, NVIDIA) speaks about next-gen Tegra design wins

NEW YORK, May 16 (Reuters) - Apple's iPad is finally about to get some real competition.

At least according to Jen-Hsun Huang, co-founder and chief executive of chip designer Nvidia.

In under three years, he says tablets using Google's (GOOG.O) Android platform -- and his company's processors -- could overtake Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) red-hot iPad as improved versions and more applications hit the market.

That would be about how long it took smartphones running Google's Android software to overtake the iPhone.

"The Android phone took only two and a half years to achieve the momentum that we're talking about. I would expect the same thing on Honeycomb tablets," Huang told the Reuters Technology Summit in New York on Monday.

Sportscar enthusiast Huang said tablets using new versions of Android, including Honeycomb, would outsell iPads as developers create and improve more games and other software for them.

The maker of graphics chips for PCs became a Wall Street darling this year with the launch of its Tegra 2 processors, establishing it as a major player in high-end smartphones and tablets by manufacturers like Samsung (005930.KS) and Motorola Mobility (MMI.N).

Source: Reuters
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 05:33 PM   #2
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

It will happen. More and more very nice tablets are coming out on Android. I'm pretty sure companies have gotten the idea that updates are important and will be pushing them out sooner rather than later. iPad was essentially the only tablet offered at the time, and coming from a company that puts out stellar products it was a no brainer that it will do well.

I think people are wanting change and variety with the devices that they purchase, buying a product offered by multiple manufactures with a strong OS is what the consumer needs.

Last edited by shoman24v : May 18, 2011 at 05:37 PM.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 07:13 PM   #3
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
I think people are wanting change and variety with the devices that they purchase, buying a product offered by multiple manufactures with a strong OS is what the consumer needs.
I think people want a large selection of quality apps that work on the device they buy, that's my opinion. That to me seems to be the puzzle android tablets need to figure out, how to get a large base of apps that work across multiple hardware configurations or barring that how to make a baseline hardware requirement that all apps must meet.

Nvidia would do themselves a huge favor if they actually bought a couple of the talented game developers and started making some tegra2 exclusives. The hardware is awesome, but it needs some devs to take advantage of it.

Last edited by t0adp1p3 : May 18, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 18, 2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Android will do well. I've seen honeycomb in action, and it's nice offering things iOS should have given the large real estate it has. Xoom and tab 10.1 are the best competitors. What android needs to work on is fragmentation, ui refinement and apps. Apps is what matters to users. Android doesn't need to have 100k like Apple, but they need lots of quality apps for it.

My life is dope and I do dope sht.

Last edited by Razeus : May 19, 2011 at 06:29 AM.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 06:03 AM   #5
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Android will do well. I've seen honeycomb in action, and it's nice offering things iOS should have given the large real estate it has. Xoom and tab 10.1 are the best competitors. What android needs to work on is fragmentation, ui refinement and apps. Apps is what a,trees to users. Android doesn't need to have 100k like Apple, but they need lots of quality apps for it.
Speaking of Honeycomb apps, how many tablet specific apps are now available on the Android Market right now ?
A Xoom review I watched back in march showed a screen of the Market with only 41 apps for it
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 06:28 AM   #6
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
Speaking of Honeycomb apps, how many tablet specific apps are now available on the Android Market right now ?
A Xoom review I watched back in march showed a screen of the Market with only 41 apps for it
I think they have 100. What really matters is quality though.

My life is dope and I do dope sht.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 11:35 AM   #7
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

thay need full Honeycomb apps not phone apps Optimized For Honeycomb, not just a 2x blow up of the screen

and get all the entertainment apps like hbo go,abc player... elc. working, things that use that nice big screen
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote