Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:34 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Cream
Radeon R600

Cream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvodka View Post
Because, right now, you can't count on it being there which means any design for games (beyond the party games) will basically bolt the support on for it to tick a box.

Once you can rely on a piece of technology being there you can start to plan around using it more effectively with deeper integration into the game play experiance.

^^^
what he said.

Bolt on peripherals never do well. Standard kit does.
16GB Corsair DDR4 , SSD 850 evo /480gb SSD Vertex 2/ 2TB hybrid drive for games, 1TB storage drive
Zowie FK1, Oculus CV1, Logitech G920, black widow Ultimate, Xbox one pad. Saitec X-55 H.O.T.A.S.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:10 AM   #182
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

has the box been posted yet?

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:59 AM   #183
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Mickey Padge is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Because, right now, you can't count on it being there which means any design for games (beyond the party games) will basically bolt the support on for it to tick a box.

Once you can rely on a piece of technology being there you can start to plan around using it more effectively with deeper integration into the game play experiance.
Hmmm, not sure I would agree that suddenly it means devs are going to see and do something with kinect they haven't even bothered to try before......

I mean, so far not even one dev has made use of it in any ground breaking way, if everything was done with it just to "tick a box" before, yet if it's included in the box then it's now a total game changer?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:01 AM   #184
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
has the box been posted yet?
I do like the style of the PS4, it's not just a VCR shaped box
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:18 AM   #185
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

I look at it this way...

When accelerators in controllers became standard, lots of developers came up with all sorts of ways of adding waggling into normal games. I don't like having to switch between gamepad and waggling. I think that shoving Kinect or eye toy functions into normal games will have the same problem. That makes me happy that developers on PS4 won't be able to rely on me having an eye toy. That way they won't be inclined to put eyetoy stuff into normal games.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:35 AM   #186
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Padge View Post
Hmmm, not sure I would agree that suddenly it means devs are going to see and do something with kinect they haven't even bothered to try before......

I mean, so far not even one dev has made use of it in any ground breaking way, if everything was done with it just to "tick a box" before, yet if it's included in the box then it's now a total game changer?
That was my point; you won't design something ground breaking into your game when 90% of your target audience don't have the bit of kit you are targeting - why do you think GPU powered PhysX remains a niche feature in games which adds a few pretty effects? Same idea; not everyone has an NV card so building your game around it is silly.
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:44 AM   #187
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I think that shoving Kinect or eye toy functions into normal games will have the same problem.
A conclusion you have come to based on the 'bolt on' nature of things as we currently have them - you don't know for sure, hell you can't know for sure, how things might or might not work if the kit is standard.

For some games it could be a great addition; for others a large bundle of tacked on rubbish.

The thing is I dare say most inventions have the same issue - those who are used to one way of doing things see no merit in the new way and thus will dismiss it out of hand until the new way is shown to bring value to things.

As to if it'll work or not, well, time will tell...
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:45 AM   #188
Canesfan2020
Radeon Northern Islands

Canesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCanesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

We are talking Kinect 1 vs Kinect 2. There are several reasons why what devs did and didn't do with 1 won't necessarily have a bearing on 2.
Canesfan2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:56 AM   #189
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

This is the PS4 thread, right?
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:27 AM   #190
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Flawed reasoning, design something groundbreaking to shift units, not the other way round guys

And this is meant to be a PS4 discussion, so, where and what is happening with Dragon's Dogma 2?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:39 AM   #191
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
^^^
what he said.

Bolt on peripherals never do well. Standard kit does.
WiiU says hi. Nintendo themselves aren't even using the integrated tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:41 AM   #192
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

size compare

Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:50 AM   #193
Litennörd
Radeon R420

Litennörd is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
That was my point; you won't design something ground breaking into your game when 90% of your target audience don't have the bit of kit you are targeting - why do you think GPU powered PhysX remains a niche feature in games which adds a few pretty effects? Same idea; not everyone has an NV card so building your game around it is silly.
Can you say what instruction sets today's games support?

Is it likely we'll see games supporting AVX now on the PC, since the consoles have support for that?
Litennörd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:55 AM   #194
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Did they really manage to make it that small (PS4)? Also that XBONE is going to use a ton of space, that doesn't even include the Kinect bar.
Quote:
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:55 AM   #195
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

If that size compare is correct, PS4 looks nicely compact
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:57 AM   #196
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
Did they really manage to make it that small (PS4)? Also that XBONE is going to use a ton of space, that doesn't even include the Kinect bar.
Part of the design choice was to have it fit in with the rest of your rack equipment (receiver etc). I don't mind the size at all, but am in awe of how small Sony was able to make the PS4.

edit: gotta keep in mind that the image doesn't show depth. Here's a comparison page:

edit2: updated picture, since the copy I had was snipped.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:57 AM   #197
LimeyGeeza
Get down with da sickness

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

It looked way bigger than that on stage, and the Xbox One looks smaller than I thought... not sure how accurate that comparison is.

Edit after Lupine's pic: Ah Ok - so the original pic is way off - yes the PS4 is 'skinnier' by just over an inch, but the footprint is about the same as the Xbox One - according to those specs it's actually taller than the Xbox One. And the Xbox One is a lot smaller than I thought too - not that much different to the size of the Original PS3 really... what's the red star by the Xbox One denoting though?

Last edited by LimeyGeeza : Jun 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:06 PM   #198
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Wow, PS4 is smaller than the lot! Great engineering
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:12 PM   #199
LimeyGeeza

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Wow, PS4 is smaller than the lot! Great engineering
No it's not - what numbers are you looking at? Thinner yes - smaller no...
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:13 PM   #200
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

don't forget the power supply is inside the Ps4 as well.

not sure about the xbox one, but I think it's using a power brick like the x360.

which makes the size of the Ps4 even more impressive, espically if you consider how much smaller it could be if they went the power brick route as well.

Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:14 PM   #201
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Are we really going to argue size when its only a couple inches difference?

This really has become a penis measuring contest.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:16 PM   #202
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Well, as PS4 have proven, it is not about the size, it is about how you use it.

It is worth mentioning that Sony is a Japanese company.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:18 PM   #203
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyGeeza View Post
what's the red star by the Xbox One denoting though?
Updated the image w/ the original, and sourced it. The star means the xbone's dimensions are extrapolated. Anyone find published verified dimension specs?
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:20 PM   #204
LimeyGeeza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
don't forget the power supply is inside the Ps4 as well.

not sure about the xbox one, but I think it's using a power brick like the x360.

which makes the size of the Ps4 even more impressive, espically if you consider how much smaller it could be if they went the power brick route as well.
Good point...are we certain of this though, I haven't actually seen it specified anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Not at all, but many people are exclaiming how HUGE the Xbox One is, when it obviously isn't that much bigger than current gen, or the PS4 really.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:26 PM   #205
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Quote:
No it's not - what numbers are you looking at? Thinner yes - smaller no...
Using my eyes and the measurements, overall size is smaller, simple, OK?

Xbox One = 449
PS4 = 259

Cubic inches.....
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:31 PM   #206
LimeyGeeza

Quote:
Using my eyes and the measurements, overall size is smaller, simple, OK?

Xbox One = 449
PS4 = 259

Cubic inches.....
Not be nit picky, but I will - you said smaller than the lot, which it isn't the Xbox Slim is the smallest overall by cubic inches
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:34 PM   #207
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Quote:
Not be nit picky, but I will - you said smaller than the lot, which it isn't the Xbox Slim is the smallest overall by cubic inches
Hmm, not to do something, but I will, classic

Still, significantly smaller than the Xbox One, if the measurements are accurate
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:37 PM   #208
GravY
Rage3D Spammer

GravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Wonder how quiet the PS4 is going to be.. ? any word on fan size?
"Yes, but God has the right to get away with anything. Shoot animals, make ugly women, allow the existence of religious nuts, and watch liederhosen-wearing midget poodle-licking pornography. God's a sick bastard." - OzzieBloke

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:38 PM   #209
LimeyGeeza

Quote:
Hmm, not to do something, but I will, classic

Still, significantly smaller than the Xbox One, if the measurements are accurate
Agreed, and impressive that they fit it all in that little case, wonder why the Xbox One has to be as bulky as it is - surely the HDMI passthrough doesn't take up that much room - why else would it be? For improved air circulation maybe to avoid overheating like the original 360?

Quote:
Yeh good point, the Xbox One was being touted as 'near' silent, be interesting to find out, maybe that is why the Xbox One is on the heftier side.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:38 PM   #210
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravY View Post
Good call, guess will be a while for those numbers