Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Oct 25, 2020, 09:58 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I'm not sure I agree with buying a monitor because of a GPU. Wouldn't you buy a GPU to feed a monitor? Seems kind of backwards, but whatever it takes to get you off the miserable experience that is 60Hz

1440P/144-165Hz monitors are priced quite nice now too. Good time to buy!
If I go Red I'd have to get a new monitor too.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:04 AM   #32
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
If you do, just get a 4K 144Hz and get it over with.

Your case is a bit different as you're on the older GSync module that won't support VRR over DP or HDMI.

For all the bs talk about NV being an evil monster, they really didn't go that route with GSync. The hardware module is still smoother than traditional VRR through DP, but if you run an AMD card it will support Freesync through DP/HDMI.

Not much more you can ask for.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:05 AM   #33
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Why would you go red?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:07 AM   #34
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Why would you go red?
If the 6900XT is faster, why not?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:07 AM   #35
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Why would you go red?
Because all rumors point to the 6000 series will kick ass and I can't find a 3080?

yoz
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:08 AM   #36
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
If the 6900XT is faster, why not?
If RT is on par or bit better than my card and raster is better than 3080 for a good price and widely available then truly why not?

yoz
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:57 AM   #37
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Because you have a GSync monitor and won’t be able to use that properly for games? Up to you but a clear reason for me to not go AMD was the use of Gsync on my monitor.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:01 AM   #38
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Eh. The XB27 is using an older IPS panel and there is definitely room to upgrade there. I'd upgrade the monitor regardless of going red or not!
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:10 AM   #39
KAC
That postcount though...

In my limited experience with VRR on XSX, I would take Gsync first gen module over that any day of the week.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:12 AM   #40
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Because you have a GSync monitor and won’t be able to use that properly for games? Up to you but a clear reason for me to not go AMD was the use of Gsync on my monitor.
G-sync and Freesync are doing comparably well these days so I would have to consider the price of a monitor to the upgrade. All depends on Radeon pricing but something tells me it won't be as cheap as some here have hoped for.

yoz
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:13 AM   #41
Nunz
RIP Roxen

That's not comparable.

Freesync works very well now. The GSync hardware module still has some advantages in smoothness, but I don't think 98% of people would see it. Factoring in that a monitor with the GSync module typically costs $150-300 more than the one without, I'd go for the one without.

I do love how smooth my 38GL950G is, and certainly the GSync module has its advantages (allowing 160Hz instead of 144Hz) but I wouldn't worry too much about it anymore. It's not like the old days where GSync was far, far superior to Freesync in every aspect. They're mostly equal now
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:26 AM   #42
KAC
That postcount though...

If only some idiot mfg now comes up with a 35 inch 16:9 4K @ 144 Hz w/ Gsync and I will be Golden.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:41 AM   #43
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The eventual non-hdr version of the Acer x32 will come close to those specs.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:04 PM   #44
acroig
Master Troll

yoz
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:05 PM   #45
KAC
That postcount though...

Well if performance is 2080 Ti equivalent then even their considerably large will fall short in a flash.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 01:33 PM   #46
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Well if performance is 2080 Ti equivalent then even their considerably large will fall short in a flash.

yoz
Old Oct 25, 2020, 03:02 PM   #47
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
That's not comparable.

Freesync works very well now. The GSync hardware module still has some advantages in smoothness, but I don't think 98% of people would see it. Factoring in that a monitor with the GSync module typically costs $150-300 more than the one without, I'd go for the one without.

I do love how smooth my 38GL950G is, and certainly the GSync module has its advantages (allowing 160Hz instead of 144Hz) but I wouldn't worry too much about it anymore. It's not like the old days where GSync was far, far superior to Freesync in every aspect. They're mostly equal now
Nvidia also requires certain specs in the monitor to receive each class of G-Sync certification. Freesync can be in any crappy old monitor but Nvidiais pretty strict about G-Sync and that also lends itself to the monitors being a little higher priced than the average Freesync.

Asan example, you couldn’t get a 1000nit HDR 4K freesync let alone a QLED with full array backlighting but that’s the minimum for G-Sync ultimate certification.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2020, 03:06 PM   #48
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Why would you go red?
Because unlike you and me he is very open minded.

I won't go Nvidia, you won't go AMD.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 03:09 PM   #49
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post

It will cost me more to go Red due to monitor but I'm open to it.

Can't wait till Wed.

yoz
Old Oct 25, 2020, 03:25 PM   #50
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
Asan example, you couldn’t get a 1000nit HDR 4K freesync let alone a QLED with full array backlighting but that’s the minimum for G-Sync ultimate certification.
I believe this fits that bill, though it's a VA panel.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...gaming-monitor

Regardless, the GSync ultimate certification comes with a hefty cost for features that, imo, don't come with much reward for the price of admission.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 03:36 PM   #51
KAC
That postcount though...

I would rather poke my eyes out than order another Acer product after the HU271 some crap experience. That monitor seemed to degrade daily on IPS glow.

Also my brother bought an Acer laptop that sucked ass.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 03:37 PM   #52
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post

I have used AMD products when they were worth using. Am not married to nvidia but presently am bound by their Gsync ecosystem.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 03:43 PM   #53
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I believe this fits that bill, though it's a VA panel.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...gaming-monitor

Regardless, the GSync ultimate certification comes with a hefty cost for features that, imo, don't come with much reward for the price of admission.
Sorry, I also forgot about the Adobe color certification as well.

My G-Sync Ultimate monitor has by far the best picture in the house and that’s up against an LG E series OLED.

There are great Freesync monitors but there’s also some duds. If image quality and latency matters at all, the monitor is potentially the most important purchase in a gaming setup and not the place to try and save a buck. It amazes me that people spend hundreds extra on a component like mobo, cpu, slightly better sku video card, slightly better ram and so on just to gain a few average FPS or slightly higher benchmark score but scimp on the component that will have the biggest impact on user experience and likely last the longest.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 03:52 PM   #54
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I agree with you that it's funny people will cheap out on a monitor but go balls deep on PC parts. I don't think GSync Ultimate is the be-all-end-all of monitors, though. It's a certification that NV is using to continue making the GSync hardware module relevant; whether that makes it worth the extra $$ or not is kind of a toss-up.

The Acer X27 only has 88% DCI-P3. That is good, but there are plenty of monitors pushing 98% DCI-P3 now, and plenty of those are without a GSync hardware module.

Either way, there are lots of great options on the market, and 4K 120Hz+ has become much more affordable. 2020 really gave us some solid, cheaper options that brought some of these monitors out of the realm of stupid pricing.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 04:52 PM   #55
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nun1z View Post
I agree with you that it's funny people will cheap out on a monitor but go balls deep on PC parts. I don't think GSync Ultimate is the be-all-end-all of monitors, though. It's a certification that NV is using to continue making the GSync hardware module relevant; whether that makes it worth the extra $$ or not is kind of a toss-up.

The Acer X27 only has 88% DCI-P3. That is good, but there are plenty of monitors pushing 98% DCI-P3 now, and plenty of those are without a GSync hardware module.

Either way, there are lots of great options on the market, and 4K 120Hz+ has become much more affordable. 2020 really gave us some solid, cheaper options that brought some of these monitors out of the realm of stupid pricing.
its 99% adobe SRBG and 96% DCI-P3

Quote:
Specifications of Acer 4K/144Hz G-SYNC Gaming Monitor
Predator X27
Panel 27" IPS (AHVA)
Resolution 3840 × 2160
Refresh Rate 144 Hz (w/4:2:2 Choma Subsampling)
Variable Refresh Rate NVIDIA G-Sync HDR
Response Time 4 ms
Brightness 1000 cd/m²
Contrast Unknown
Backlighting Direct LED, 384 zones
Quantum Dot Yes
HDR HDR10 Support
Viewing Angles 178°/178° horizontal/vertical
PPI 163 pixels per inch
Colors 1.07 billion
Color Saturation sRGB: 100%
Adobe RGB: 99%
DCI-P3: 96%
Rec. 2020: 82%
Inputs 2 × DisplayPort 1.4
1 × HDMI 2.0
I also found an HDR 600 DCI-P3 98% high refresh monitor but not HDR 1000. Several others with DCI-P3 just over 90% and HDR 400.
The only DCI-P3 98%+ monitors over HDR 600 that weren't Gsync-Ultimate were professional monitors that were substantially more expensive and only 60hz.
There may be some out there, I haven't really looked into monitors in a while but I couldn't find any after about 10 minutes or so of searching.

EDIT: I am sure though that there are plenty of great monitors out there that aren't G-Sync Ultimate and I may have even chosen one for the $ had they been available a year ago. My main point is that at least if you buy G-Sync, you know you are getting a quality display along with that slightly smoother performance. I also could be wrong because it's been a while but isn't it still the lower frame rates that it really shines against Freesync? I know that use to be the case where as even if you are struggling to maintain 60fps on a G-sync monitor, you will still have a smooth experience and are more likely to notice variance on the Freesync but at higher framerates, they perform very similarly.

Last edited by jimjobob : Oct 25, 2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 04:54 PM   #56
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I looked at some reviews of the Acer X27 and it claims 96% but many reviews found only 88%. It's all good, wasn't trying to start a big argument or debate over it.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 05:06 PM   #57
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

I just picked up yesterday a Omen 27i 165hz 2k. It's replacing a 27" LG 4k 60hz.

The GTX 1080 is handling the 2k better but on the games I play it's still hovering around 70-80fps. Settings maxed.

This screen is amazing though. Cant wait to get a 3080.

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 G1 - nVidia Zotac Amp gtx 1080 - Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Intel I5 6600K - crucial 16GB DDR4 - Intel 240ssd5 & WD 1TB 7200rpm - corsair 750ps -
- corsair spec alpha carbide series case - corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB MX keyboard - Logitech G502 - Sennheiser G4ME One Headset

MSI GE62 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop - nVidia 970m - Intel I7 5700 - 16GB DDR3 - 128ssd & 1TB 7200rpm

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2020, 05:43 PM   #58
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
I looked at some reviews of the Acer X27 and it claims 96% but many reviews found only 88%. It's all good, wasn't trying to start a big argument or debate over it.
Too late!

yoz
Old Oct 26, 2020, 09:28 AM   #59
acroig
Master Troll

yoz
Old Oct 26, 2020, 09:35 AM   #60
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with buying a monitor because of a GPU. Wouldn't you buy a GPU to feed a monitor? Seems kind of backwards, but whatever it takes to get you off the miserable experience that is 60Hz

1440P/144-165Hz monitors are priced quite nice now too. Good time to buy!
I'm not sure what you're trying to recommend here. Unless you weren't replying to me?

Why would you not upgrade the monitor if buying a vastly more powerful GPU? 60Hz has been a good enough experience for me with a 980 Ti, but since I'm planning to get one of these new GPUs (at some point) I'm thinking its time to up the refresh rate.

I'm all about balancing performance where I can. I'm not a fan of having a display with res or refresh rate that my GPU can't fully utilize, which is why I stayed with 60Hz at 1440p. But now since I'll have the power to get frames close to 144 in modern games with a 3080 (or AMD equivalent) I'm looking to upgrade my monitor.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote