Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:48 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
spamatron
Banned

spamatron is still being judged by the masses

Angry Copy Protection Has Gone Too Far!

First we have Safedisc and the like black listing our legal software and hardware. I hated that with a passion, but it didn't do anything to my PC, other than stop the program it came with from working without me making changes or cracking it.

Now we have Starforce, which came with my new TocA -Race Driver 2 DVD. I was looking around my Device Manager while updating to the Cat 4.6 drivers and lookie what I found. It has actually installed drivers/controllers/whatever they are on my PC without my knowledge....all sneeky like too, in the hidden section.

EDIT: I have confirmed that, just like nasty spyware or a virus, these to not get uninstalled when you uninstall the game that put them there! They stay forever...causing who knows what kind of problems later on. If you then uninstall them manually, they reinstall themselves after a reboot or 2.

EDIT2: More Info:
http://community.codemasters.com/for...threadid=41263
http://www.adventurecompanygames.com...1&fpart=1&vc=1
http://www.adventurecompanygames.com...b=5&o=&fpart=1
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9888
http://www.bluesnews.com/
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../06/11/1920245
http://forums.avault.com/cgi-bin/ult...3;t=005286;p=1
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...7449~mode=flat

After uninstalling ToCa Race Driver 2, rebooting, then running the StarForce uninstaller from CodeMasters website and rebooting twice...

Last edited by spamatron : Jun 16, 2004 at 07:42 PM.
spamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 01:00 AM   #2
Blackadder
Banned

Blackadder is still being judged by the masses

Hmmmm. Lawsuit
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 01:13 AM   #3
NonSoft
Poison Tester

NonSoft is still being judged by the masses

Angry

Agreed. I understand the purpose of copy protection, but lately it has gotten ridiculous. For instance, just to be able to play Max Payne 2, I actually had to download a cracked exe. I don't mean in order to play it with no cd or something along those lines. The game would not even load with the executable the game installs, and it still didn't work after the update. All because of the copy protection, and it is a known issue. In my mind that is absolutely ridiculous. If I knew that was the case, I would have just downloaded the warez copy of the game. Why should I (or anyone for that matter) support companies that care so little about their customers that they will: install hidden invasive software, disallow use of certain programs with legal purposes (ex. Daemon tools), or just flat out sell you software that doesn't work because of the copy protection?

What is really scary, is that it would seem the worst has yet to come.

Last edited by NonSoft : Jun 10, 2004 at 02:09 AM.
NonSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 10, 2004, 01:14 AM   #4
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

AHHH! I found that crap on my pc too!
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 01:19 AM   #5
TIKtak
Me

TIKtak is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDemon
AHHH! I found that crap on my pc too!
same
TIKtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 01:32 AM   #6
Blackadder
Banned

Blackadder is still being judged by the masses

I found it as well. Can those be removed without any side effects?
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:00 AM   #7
spamatron
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by NonSoft
For instance, just to be able to play Max Payne 2, I actually had to download a cracked exe. I don't mean in order to play it with no cd or something along those lines. The game would not even load with the executable the game installs
Same goes for Splinter Cell 1 and Painkiller for me. Both copied, cracked and then returned to the store as a result.

If you remove or disable these Starforce things, the game reinstalls them when you try to run it. That's your side effect. Remember the little message about "Application Installed Successfully, Reboot Now?" The first time you try to run the game? I thought it was odd because I had already rebooted unprompted after installing the game. That will happen again. It's not the game that installed successfully, it's the #$#%#@ copy protection IDE driver hijacker software.

Last edited by spamatron : Jun 10, 2004 at 02:12 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:05 AM   #8
MikeEx
ಠ_ಠ

MikeEx is still being judged by the masses

none here
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:08 AM   #9
tempnexus
Chronic Repostinator

tempnexus is still being judged by the masses

Well the only way to really MAKE A STAND is to well DON"T BUY THE GAME and if you want you can copy it and use a crack.
GA-7VAXP (0-4 RAID 100G WD Special ED) / AX-7 w/ 4500RPM 50cfm Fan / Mushkin 512MB DDR-2700 / Radeon R200 285/285 / Lite-On 48X CDRW & Lite-on 16X DVD / C-media sound (6spk) (sold the audigy crap) / Firewire/USB 2 (preferr firewire)
"You need to delete your video card and format your modem, and install AOL on your motherboard"
"Windows is a 32-bit extensions to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition "
www.DJSystemIntegrators.com"
NOT FOLDING due to lack of $$$!! Folding costs you about $25 a month.
http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
tempnexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:17 AM   #10
spamatron
Banned

I'll be making a copy of this game and returning it to the store tomorrow now too. GG Codemasters.

I just uninstalled the game and guess what. The damned things are still there and do not get uninstalled with the scumware that put them there. Not only that, but I then uninstalled them from device manager and they returned after 2 reboots without the game being installed at all! This sh** is a virus!

Now I have to completely reformat my PC to get clean again. #$#@#@!

Last edited by spamatron : Jun 10, 2004 at 02:43 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:19 AM   #11
BobbyRPI2712
Radeon Arctic Islands

BobbyRPI2712 is still being judged by the masses

its kinda weird too cause i think ive had more instances where ive bought the retail game and it didnt work, compared to not buying the game and having it not work.

BobbyRPI2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:41 AM   #12
dohcmark8
Radeon R520

dohcmark8 is still being judged by the masses

What the hell......

I just have the Toca 2 Demo and I have that **** in my device manager.

This is a month old install of XP too.

FCKERS........
dohcmark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:43 AM   #13
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Seems to me like you're behind the times, copy protection went too far years ago. Frankly, when they started forcing you to have the CD in the drive for absolutely no reason they went too far.

Copy protection does jack to stop piracy and I've long since become totally sick of this BS. In the first place, software piracy is nowhere near as bad as these companies make out (it's just an excuse to explain why their games aren't selling, when the truth is it's because they're crap).

In the second place, I can find a crack for a game in 0.5 seconds time. If you're able to download the frickin' game (know where to get it, etc), you're going to be able to download the crack. Hell, some warez even comes with the cracks!

It's just ridiculous that those of us who actually pay for the games have to put up with this crap!
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:45 AM   #14
dohcmark8
Radeon R520

Can someon tell Slashdot about this?.

I wonder how many machines are affected.

Last edited by dohcmark8 : Jun 10, 2004 at 03:12 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:47 AM   #15
dohcmark8
Radeon R520

I just emailed them. lol

To: [email protected]
"Why is there a “Starforce protection environment” driver installed on my system?.

I never approved it, I was never told it was being installed, I never got a message dialog or anything, why are you installing software on peoples system without telling them?. This is akin to a trojan."
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:10 AM   #16
ReDeeMeR_RR
Crysis ftw

ReDeeMeR_RR is still being judged by the masses

It makes sur yu dont warez the demo, f00
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:12 AM   #17
joku_muko
Radeon R520

joku_muko is still being judged by the masses

Hmm I dont have any of those listed either.
joku_muko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:24 AM   #18
The Red Eye
Radeon R200

The Red Eye is still being judged by the masses

Where ever people are unhappy about a product, there is a black market for it (warez).

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most."
The Red Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:47 AM   #19
dohcmark8
Radeon R520

Here is the skinny.... I just emailed Star-Force and they have attached a removal tool to the reply. email them If you want the removal tool.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:49 AM   #20
spamatron
Banned

I've already removed it myself by restoring a backup image of my drive. Removal tool...pfffft. That s*** should never have been there in the first place, and damned sure should have been uninstalled with the game. I wouldn't trust their removal tool as far as I could spit lead. Besides, I don't even want their funk left over in my registry.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 04:12 AM   #21
Ady
Radeon Southern Islands

Ady is still being judged by the masses

Starforce sux. This tool removes all traces of starforce from your system.
Ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 04:27 AM   #22
DarkSyde
Rage3D Veteran

DarkSyde is still being judged by the masses

WTF I never even installed the demo for that game, but I just looked at my device manager for the hell of it and sure enough there that crap is. It's probably some other demos that install this crap. OMFG we're gonna pirate free demos, thats just gonna put these companies out of business!
DarkSyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 04:28 AM   #23
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

True Crime:Streets of LA won't run if you have Alcohol 120% or CCD installed or virtual drives on your system. These are LEGAL and legit yet this game can't run if these are present without... you guessed it... a crack! I use virtual drives for my sons' games (they are kids games and they all run from the CD, so using virtual drives saves me from switching out cds for them).

Copy Protection has had the opposite of the intended effect- now otherwise legit users are being forced to the warez scene. Warezers have it easy, legit owners are caused all sorts of trouble. What's wrong with this picture?
Guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 04:30 AM   #24
DarkSyde
Rage3D Veteran

DarkSyde is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Guybo
True Crime:Streets of LA won't run if you have Alcohol 120% or CCD installed or virtual drives on your system. These are LEGAL and legit yet this game can't run if these are present without... you guessed it... a crack! I use virtual drives for my sons' games (they are kids games and they all run from the CD, so using virtual drives saves me from switching out cds for them).

Copy Protection has had the opposite of the intended effect- now otherwise legit users are being forced to the warez scene. Warezers have it easy, legit owners are caused all sorts of trouble. What's wrong with this picture?
Even that isnt half as bad as purposely making it not work in certain CD-RW drives just because OMFG it MAY be able to make a working copy and of course they never bother to tell you that since you have one of these drives, you cant use the game, but everyone who didnt buy the game can.

The idiocy of these companies never ceases to amaze me.
DarkSyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 05:35 AM   #25
-MB-
Radeon R520

-MB- is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by dohcmark8
What the hell......

I just have the Toca 2 Demo and I have that **** in my device manager.

This is a month old install of XP too.

FCKERS........

Same here.....GRRRRRRRR....

Oh well...uninstall. To think I was considering buying it too....

I think I will send off a stinky email to Codemasters with a screenshot, I am not happy about this from FREE demo software that they distribute with their name on it.

Has anyone checked the EULA of the full retail version to see if there is somehting that everyone unwittingly signs up to by clicking it? If there isn't I am sure this is actionable.

Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB Cache | Pioneer DVR109XL (Black)
Windows 7 64bit
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 | Coolermaster Real Power M520
Iiyama E435S 17" TFT 10ms | Logitech Compact Keyboard & MX510 Mouse

Last edited by -MB- : Jun 10, 2004 at 06:22 AM.
-MB- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 06:03 AM   #26
Woodgypsy
Whiney Supersnob

Woodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyWoodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Crap- i get it from both TOCA demo and Soldiers demo, and i was thinking about "buying" these games.. And that uninstaller didn't make it go away for me, neither

Also, Dreamcather uses this "software" as well, I am not sure about their demos
Woodgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 06:17 AM   #27
crazycarl
Radeon R200

crazycarl is still being judged by the masses

wacked, but not surprising,
this needs to be slashdotted
crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 07:27 AM   #28
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

SH64 is still being judged by the masses

We should stop buying games that over-reacts to copy protection sh!t

Last edited by SH64 : Jun 10, 2004 at 07:30 AM.
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 07:36 AM   #29
Ender666666
Radeon R420

Ender666666 is still being judged by the masses

My retail copy of Thief: Deadly Shadows ran fine until I had to reinstall windows... Now it can't verify the authenticity of my store bought disc, all on the exact same hardware that it previously COULD! I hate having to use a cracked EXE in order to play a game that I spent my hard earned money to buy!
Radeon 9800 NP (R350, Samsung 8E-GC33) @ 479.25 Core/418.5 Mem
Windows XP Pro SP2 on 2x 74 GB Western Digital Raptors in Raid 0
3DMark01se: 21054
3DMark03: 7134
AquaMark3: 50910
PCMark04: 4666
Due to lack of funding, The light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off.
Ender666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 07:50 AM   #30
uglydot
Jesus

uglydot is still being judged by the masses

This is redidulous, what exactly does this Starforce thing do?

Edit: After reading the site a bit, Star Force gives a rediculous amount of power to the companies distributing this crap.

Last edited by uglydot : Jun 10, 2004 at 07:54 AM.
uglydot is offline   Reply With Quote