Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
TriGGlety
Banned

TriGGlety is still being judged by the masses

Default Rage 2D!

I want my lines drawn faster please.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2d-win...iew-31795.html
TriGGlety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:26 AM   #2
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

It's important.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:12 AM   #3
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So, an extreme case shows up a weakness in the drivers which has not been seen as a problem... sounds like a none event to me...
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:44 PM   #4
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

who knows it could be part of the problem with the Grey Screen of Death (GSOD) that never showed up until the HD5000 series launched. Obviously SOMETHING has changed as this doesn't affect any other GPU and coincidentally affects the very same GPU having such issues. Interesting too is the article claims:
Quote:
We must also point out that this applies not only to our synthetic 2D benchmark, but also to various other real-world programs we used for our testing, including AutoCAD, as well as Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop CS3/CS4, Microsoft Publisher, PowerPoint, and more.
How opportune that THG used an Nvidia IGP with no ATI IGP for comparison (only noting the 790G in XP once)... smells of Quack.. ie a certain anonymous party let THG in on something they discovered.. <poke..prod>

Last edited by @md_Guy : Jan 27, 2010 at 01:56 PM.
@md_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 02:33 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I would also like to see Quadro and Fire Pro cards used in the tests. That will show if 2D AutoCad is an issue there as well.

FYI - To disable DWM, stop the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service and set it's startup type to Manual or Disabled. Full details here.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Jan 27, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:27 PM   #6
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I would also like to see Quadro and Fire Pro cards used in the tests. That will show if 2D AutoCad is an issue there as well.

FYI - To disable DWM, stop the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service and set it's startup type to Manual or Disabled. Full details here.
turning of aero and othe shiny stuff....sounds like win xp...eeewww

i used this in vista briefly cause i was used to tweaking xp so much, and dragging winamp, creative x-fi control panel and some other apps, actually stuttered with desktop session manager off.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:43 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Indeed and you can set specific applications not to use themes to help out as well.

Although for it be a real issue I think you'd need to have way more windows open than you could possibly use in a real life scenario. Users of applications that would be affected by this (i.e, heavy powerpoint/autocad/photoshop) would likely have specified appropriate hardware for it (quadro or fire pro) because they need the reliability, and support of the software vendor.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote