Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 15, 2020, 04:39 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Wired connection through Wi-Fi router vs. direct wired connection to modem

Will there be any difference in Internet speeds, latency, etc.?
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2020, 05:19 PM   #2
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

It depends on the router, and how fast your internet is. If you have say a 1gbps internet plan, but are using an old router, you probably won't pull 1gbps through it.

If you have stuff like QOS turned on that will also slow down the connection.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2020, 07:55 PM   #3
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Depending on your connection, speed might be basically the same. Latency is probably not going to be much different. The biggest issue with wifi is that it's just not as reliable as wired due to interference
nutcrackr is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 15, 2020, 09:20 PM   #4
dodger
Doggy

dodger is still being judged by the masses

Interesting topic. Does a plain modem have the same attack surface as a router? When I'm not using the computer I disconnect it from the network but with a router that thing's on the internet 24/7 with an IP address. Back when I had a dumb DSL modem I just assumed without an active PPPoE connection there's no IP address to hit so while it too was on 24/7 you'd have to hit it lower on the stack and since it was pretty dumb its not like it has a ton of memory/code to work with.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:18 PM   #5
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Almost any consumer router will struggle with Gigabit (less than it) in some form. You need a pretty beefy processor you absorb bursty load for all packet sizes.

On a side note, I suspect most computers are probably too slow for Gigabit Internet too. Unless you're on one of the nice m2 SSDs that can hit that kind of bandwidth, you'll be in the situation where your Internet is faster than your storage.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...ur-own-router/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 08:08 AM   #6
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

All things being equal, you will never notice one hop in your line. After the packets leave your house, there are a lot more hops. The only thing that would cause an issue is if the wifi device has an issue itself. However, it's just going to be operating a switch port so there shouldn't be much processing.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:56 PM   #7
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
On a side note, I suspect most computers are probably too slow for Gigabit Internet too. Unless you're on one of the nice m2 SSDs that can hit that kind of bandwidth, you'll be in the situation where your Internet is faster than your storage.
1 Gb ~ 100 MB

Pretty much any drive made in the past 8 years should be able to do 100 MB/s (assuming defragged.) SSDs can do 200-300 MB/s depending on the interface and their cells.

That said, Gigabit internet is overkill for anyone but pirates... not worth the cost in my opinion.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2020, 08:36 AM   #8
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
1 Gb ~ 100 MB

Pretty much any drive made in the past 8 years should be able to do 100 MB/s (assuming defragged.) SSDs can do 200-300 MB/s depending on the interface and their cells.

That said, Gigabit internet is overkill for anyone but pirates... not worth the cost in my opinion.
Games are getting pretty darn big too.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2020, 07:27 PM   #9
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Eh, I just felt like rolling like a Boss for the extra $10 a month for Gig service instead of 600MB service.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote