Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:18 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Ya GB's smaller bios chip being an issue. You'd think they wouldnt have skimped on that. I paid 400$ CAD for the gaming K7 x370 so if it doesnt support the 16 core Ill be pretty disappointed.
That's what GB does. They cut corners where possible so they can offer more features than the competition at every price point. I'd rather have appropriately sized BIOS chips than an array of unicorn barf generators.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2019, 09:13 PM   #152
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Ehh...how often does a larger BIOS chip really come into play? Honestly, that wouldn't be high on my list of features.

In any case, small BIOS chips was the least of the problems with Gigabyte's Ryzen motherboards. The fact I had to pull the battery on literally a weekly basis due to the soft brick bug on my board was far more obnoxious. I finally just gave that board away to a friend and replaced it with an Asus.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2019, 01:54 AM   #153
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
AMD Zen 3 Based Ryzen, Threadripper and EPYC Processors Utilizing TSMC’s 7nm+ Process Node Could Feature Up To 20% More Transistors Than Zen 2 CPUs

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-3-cpus-...istor-density/
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 18, 2019, 09:49 PM   #154
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yeah, I'm not waiting another year.

I'm getting stuff now for the build. So far I've purchased a m.2 ssd, a psu, and I'm holding off on the RAM for now seeing if the prices fall anymore. I also want to see what the ram specs and requirements are going to look like on the new motherboard.

Last edited by andino : Apr 18, 2019 at 09:56 PM.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:43 PM   #155
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

someone in china (as usual) has early samples and is playing around with them

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1984771-1-1.html

These are 3200G, he also claims to have ryzen 3xxx stuff but the current bios or something on existing motherboards cause problems.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:48 PM   #156
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
That's what GB does. They cut corners where possible so they can offer more features than the competition at every price point. I'd rather have appropriately sized BIOS chips than an array of unicorn barf generators.
Some good news apparently the F30 bios with new cpu support is only leaving some apu support behind to make room. Mind you the beta bios has 120 ohm settings that seem a tad high...

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1542...hread?page=164

Quote:
Hey! Resistor values are set to 120 Ohms. Changing it on the bios doesn't do anything. This could kill your cpu/ram. Platform: b350
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...f30_bios_with/

Quote:
Can someone with this motherboard install F30, download Ryzen Timing Checker and check CKEDrvStr, CLKDrvStr, AddrCmdDrvStr and CsOdtDrvStr?

1 day ago I asked Gigabyte's tech support to test a beta for the AB350 Gaming 3 and they sent me the F30d and values like CKEDrvStr, CLKDrvStr, AddrCmdDrvStr and CsOdtDrvStr to be at 120ohm, that is way too high and can cause chip degradation, I wonder if F30 for the Gaming 5 has the same issue...

If Gigabyte Team did the same mistake someone could seriously damage his own hardware trying those 3XXX gen Bios.

XMP was surprisingly stable but I think they are trying to trade system stability with high Ω , regardless of the type of OC used, the value of 120 Ω was reported on every kind of RAM configuration in stock, manual OC and XMP ON.

Even manually changing to 20 Ω , 24 Ω and 30 Ω doesn't work because the value of 120 Ω is still reported after booting.
Eep! My guinea pig days are over for this mobo.

Not gonna play lemming with this beta. Let the boys at GB blow a few mobos while they figure this out for us.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.4.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.6.2. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2019, 05:56 PM   #157
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
AMD Zen 2: Production yields for Ryzen 3000 Dies at 70 percent
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...0-percent.html
Old Apr 22, 2019, 06:57 PM   #158
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Wow. Intel is at 35% yield for their 28 core chips.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 03:48 PM   #159
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Monolithic baby, who needs all that glue!?

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2019, 09:44 AM   #160
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
A large number of those duds can be salvaged by disabling cores/cache/memory controllers and sold as lower-tiered Xeons.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:20 AM   #161
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
A large number of those duds can be salvaged by disabling cores/cache/memory controllers and sold as lower-tiered Xeons.

so can some of zen 2 much fewer duds i'm sure
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:28 PM   #162
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Intel's roadmap up to like 2022? has leaked apparently

14nm for most of it

Old Apr 24, 2019, 02:54 PM   #163
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post

14nm for most of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyFyAqLtHq8

Old Apr 24, 2019, 08:54 PM   #164
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

14nm for most of it
OUCH!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 09:48 PM   #165
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

I read somewhere that intel was talking to samsung for their 7nm process. Not sure if it was for licensing or having them fab their cpus...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.4.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.6.2. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:25 PM   #166
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
I read somewhere that intel was talking to samsung for their 7nm process. Not sure if it was for licensing or having them fab their cpus...
It was for their GPUs.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:37 PM   #167
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
It was for their GPUs.
Wouldnt it be crazy for them to sell their 7nm gpus alongside a 14 nm cpu?...

But ya itd be a kick in the corporate ego to see them move some cpu production to an ersthwhile competitor.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Apr 25, 2019, 03:48 PM   #168
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

I'm itching to finally upgrade from my i5 2500k and contemplating switching to AMD. My last AMD processor was an Opteron 165 eons ago, lol... I'm going to hold off a little longer to see how the new Ryzen 3000 series looks.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2019, 03:58 AM   #169
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
I'm itching to finally upgrade from my i5 2500k and contemplating switching to AMD. My last AMD processor was an Opteron 165 eons ago, lol... I'm going to hold off a little longer to see how the new Ryzen 3000 series looks.
I was going to pull the trigger on a 9900k. I got let down by intel and waited it out for the new Ryzens.

At this point, I think that the intel offers aren't going to be worth a snot. The shortages and the high heat issues are killing them.

I was going to wait it out and see the reviews but at this point I'm really contemplating just being the early adapter and getting the 3850x as soon as they come available.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 08:12 PM   #170
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I was going to pull the trigger on a 9900k. I got let down by intel and waited it out for the new Ryzens.

At this point, I think that the intel offers aren't going to be worth a snot. The shortages and the high heat issues are killing them.

I was going to wait it out and see the reviews but at this point I'm really contemplating just being the early adapter and getting the 3850x as soon as they come available.
Go TR4. lol. I actually like the TR4 platform. It'll eventually get the 64-core lineup I am sure.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 08:41 PM   #171
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Go TR4. lol. I actually like the TR4 platform. It'll eventually get the 64-core lineup I am sure.
Threadripper is great, but not for gaming. If it's a workstation, hell yes!

I can't wait for the freaking Ryzen 3 release. I'm ready to upgrade!!!
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:50 PM   #172
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
I game and goof on the computer. If I were seriously into video editing or AI programming then I would. For me though, the 3850x is almost overkill.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 03:49 PM   #173
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs Allegedly Feature 15% Better IPC, Up To 4.5 GHz – X570 Rumored To Have 40 PCIe Lanes, No 3rd Gen Ryzen Support on A320 Boards
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-...en-4-40-lanes/

No pcie 4.0 on B550 = bleh

Last edited by Shapeshifter : Apr 27, 2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:24 PM   #174
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I hope you can push them farther than 4.5ghz.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2019, 01:17 PM   #175
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yeah, 15% IPC and 4.5 GHz makes it sound like they'll still be behind Intel. Not as much as before--IPC might be about equal--but clock speed will still be about 500 MHz below an overclocked i7.

That being said, with XFR, AMD seems to have managed to grab most of the available overclocking headroom, so if it's released at "up to 4.5 GHz", then I'm guessing that's all you really get.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2019, 02:07 PM   #176
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

These were test samples, not final product.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2019, 08:35 PM   #177
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Apr 29, 2019, 08:42 PM   #178
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
These were test samples, not final product.
I read that as well. Some are saying that the final product will be faster and that the 3850x still looks to be in the 5.1 GHz range.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 09:29 PM   #179
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Ya makes no sense that the boost clock would be just 200 mhz more than the 2700x... the 8 and 16 core will do 5 ghz boost Im sure of it. Maybe just one or 2 core at a time but still. Its not exactly that much more than the 4.3 of the 2700x

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Apr 29, 2019, 09:30 PM   #180
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Is that yours?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote