Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:44 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

This is scary -- having some sort of vulcan mind-meld with nVidia. I mention the Sli-analogy and reading this piece from tech report:

Quote:
Nvidia offers only the reassurance that 3D Vision compatibility is a problem very much like SLI compatibility, and claims that it will take the same approach to surmounting any obstacles: a combination of collaboration with game developers and vigilant profile development. That sounds good, I suppose, but we're left having to trust that Nvidia will be able to herd cats well enough to make this work.
This should be on a future episode of "fringe" hehe!

This is by-far the best over-all article out there -- and brings in positives, negatives and raw potential to me:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16313/5

He was hard but that is a good thing........he also had performance and more importantly with SLi- finally -- good to see.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 01:26 PM   #182
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I am starting to dig into nVidia's developer pages as this craving of information is now entering this area now; to understand more:

I found this stereo 3d PDF with data:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/nvisio...-3D_Stereo.pdf

Good read: It offers the problems from shadow maps, 2d objects, post processing.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 01:35 PM   #183
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Ah, found the major reason for ghosting:

Most of the current stereo output devices do not have a 100 percent cancellation of right eye image into left eye image, vice versa. This results in ghosting.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 5, 2009, 01:52 PM   #184
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

thanks for the info sir pauly. I like the articles! I think you and i are are really interested in this. I just did my taxes so in two weeks or so, i will be getting one of these monitors and the 3d setup. So there will be a rage3d personal review on here soon. from me!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 02:29 PM   #185
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I am so interested in it but wished the in-game settings were more compatible though and sort of let down a bit. The performance doesn't bother me too much and was nice to see it scale well in some titles with Sli. It takes a lot of power to bring this to the gamer.

The key is the effect and if it offers very minimal ghosting -- will probably buy it.

I did like my past glasses but the amount of titles and ghosting was a problem. Will be able to enjoy a ton of titles and that is good........and would have to trust nVidia here. They did do a good job on Sli but you're asking some to pay a premium on a stereo3d platform that isn't quite mature yet. However, the choice is wonderful and hope it does improve and firmly behind this tech -- don't want to pay and then nVidia stops supporting it.

I don't think so and this market should grow because the industry this time is behind it -- movies, sports, TV --- stereo3d as a whole may grow and finally mature.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 02:48 PM   #186
tjf81
Radeon R520

tjf81 is still being judged by the masses

may be a silly question, but will these glasses work with a 120hz TV? I use a 32inch lcd tv as a monitor and i couldnt imagine having to go back down in size again.
tjf81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 03:09 PM   #187
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i have heard that is in the options and it will work, but maybe not entirely compatible. How old is it?
Old Feb 5, 2009, 09:00 PM   #188
Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Personally can't put up with glitches like flashing shadows or ghosting but think I could disable certain in-game settings if the effect was quality though.

Let's take a title where shadows are distracting and have to lower the quality of the shadows. So the choice is:

1) Play the title without the stereo effect and have nicer shadows.

2) Play the title with the stereo effect and have a lower quality shadow.

Those are your choices for maybe a specific title -- not all of them but some, maybe.

The key to find out is to test them to see first hand. What if the effect does so much more than what the shadows do without the effect? It's more about flexibility of choice to play a title instead of being locked in and told how to play your game.

That's what this stereo3d choice is: Another way to try to play your games if the end-user chooses -- not for everyone -- but a choice.

When some looked at Sli in it's infancy -- it was buggy -- not too many titles but evolved over time and much more seamless than the past. However, still isn't perfect and has some limitations. This is the way I see Stereo3d -- it may improve over time and may never be perfect or ideal in all circumstances and may have some limitations.

But as with Sli -- the extra perfomance is so very welcomed. As with Stereo3d - the extra immersion is so very welcomed.

Not excited a ton right now this second about Stereo3d but excited about the choice that is Stereo3d and how it may evolve over time. I may go totally bonkers though when I see it first hand -- don't know yet.

On the API:

It sounds great on paper but it has to be created and what guarantee is there that the developer will even add it to their gaming titles? It's like pulling teeth to get AA in some titles now from some developers and does anyone expect them all to add stereo3d?

Sure, some would but most? What about older titles -- how would you get Stereo3d in them?

The best way to me is for the IHV to do most of the work and work with developers to offer seamless abilities through a patch -- instead of an engine designed from the ground-up. It's nVidia's resources to do it.........if they want to.........more power to them and hopefully it will mature and improve like Sli did.

The choice may not be for everyone but there is that choice now -- let's see what happens while we move through time.
Those are your choices for maybe a specific title -- not all of them but some, maybe.

Man, that does not tempt me.. I dont like beta testing products, I rather do something else with my time..

but excited about the choice that is Stereo3d and how it may evolve over time.

Yeah it has potential, but hasn't fully arrived as a solid product.. yet..

may go totally bonkers though when I see it first hand -- don't know yet.

Going from Anand's write up which I trust no problems, I dont think it is worth the bother..yet..

On the API:

It sounds great on paper but it has to be created and what guarantee is there that the developer will even add it to their gaming titles? It's like pulling teeth to get AA in some titles now from some developers and does anyone expect them all to add stereo3d?

Sure, some would but most? What about older titles -- how would you get Stereo3d in them?

The best way to me is for the IHV to do most of the work and work with developers to offer seamless abilities through a patch -- instead of an engine designed from the ground-up. It's nVidia's resources to do it.........if they want to.........more power to them and hopefully it will mature and improve like Sli did.

Either way the support is not happening atm and for the short-term.. the more I read about the glasses the more it seems it is a bit gimmiky given the lack of support, visual glitches, and need to turn some graphic settings down or off..

Choice is always good, but I find customer satisfaction a prerequiste of those choices, and I don't see that with the glasses at this point..

Considering you need to buy a new expensive 120Hz-LCD, and a $us400 3d glasses pack.. I expect much more from a customer satisfaction POV.. where my customer satisfaction is defined by the product being solid and mature..
3007WFP-HC
Anth Seebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 09:32 AM   #189
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Can't trust a site's eyes when it comes to 3d and tastes. Their tastes may be totally different than mine and much more data is needed to even come close to evaluate the experience to me. This is why you see me grab data from the company, patents, developer pages, web-sites -- good and bad -- end-users that have the product.

The key to this feature is to raise the bar of immersion; to make things look more real; to feel like you're truly inside the game. This is by-far the most important aspect that needs to be investigated over-all to me. Limitations, and hurdles must be raised though so the end-user understands there are negatives but the most attention to me is the actual effect itself.

What we hear from web-sites there is added 3d depth -- and that is good but what does the 3d depth add to immersion? This isn't touched on too much -- explain it. How does the environment look like? The poster that purchased the product that played Fall out 3 has done the best job - he tried to explain how Fall Out 3 felt like while playing.

Another thing that is tough to ignore is the people that witnessed the effect and the gaming smiles on their faces and responses.

I understand the negatives now and why they're there but for me to buy this, the positives must heavily out weigh the negatives ( which there is ton -- performance, price, in-game compatibility)

What this technology represents to me is choice to play games differently with much more depth, immersion and realism over-all. I have played games with higher resolutions for years and years and depth is one of the most impressive aspects of 3d. To feel like you're inside the game -- been saying it for nearly a decade. This isn't perfect but may be the best there is for this at this time.

The choice is mine to decide. Can wait for prices to drop; Can wait for the technology to mature or can buy now and enjoy some aspects and go through some growing pains as it matures a bit.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 02:23 PM   #190
KFleshman

KFleshman is still being judged by the masses

I figured I'd give a post here, since I've now tried both the old Stereo3D drivers using my old EDimensional glasses on a 22" CRT, and now nVIDIA's glasses/new drivers on a 67" Samsung DLP.

Changes that I've noticed so far:

The software
+New wizard for setting up things
+New OSD

The glasses
+They fit around my large frame glasses

The display
-For some reason on the Samsung 67" DLP supporting Stereo3D, black turns a dark red when Stereo3D is turned on.

The 3D effect
+No ghosting (tested by closing each eye with the other open)
Other than the lack of ghosting, looks just like with my old glasses/CRT (other than being on a huuuuge screen). Tried various games that I was familiar with on my old setup, games which had glitches still had glitches (mostly from having 2D objects and whatnot), and games that ran well still run well.

So overall I'd say that it's better, but it's mostly changes in the hardware (either the speed of the shutter or the display, or both) to eliminate ghosting, not on the driver end of things.
eVGA 8800GTX
X-Fi Platinum
KFleshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 02:30 PM   #191
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

That's good to hear; it was the ghosting that was the turn-off as the effect was pronounced to me in the earlier years. Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2009, 05:40 AM   #192
Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Can't trust a site's eyes when it comes to 3d and tastes. Their tastes may be totally different than mine and much more data is needed to even come close to evaluate the experience to me. This is why you see me grab data from the company, patents, developer pages, web-sites -- good and bad -- end-users that have the product.

The key to this feature is to raise the bar of immersion; to make things look more real; to feel like you're truly inside the game. This is by-far the most important aspect that needs to be investigated over-all to me. Limitations, and hurdles must be raised though so the end-user understands there are negatives but the most attention to me is the actual effect itself.

What we hear from web-sites there is added 3d depth -- and that is good but what does the 3d depth add to immersion? This isn't touched on too much -- explain it. How does the environment look like? The poster that purchased the product that played Fall out 3 has done the best job - he tried to explain how Fall Out 3 felt like while playing.

Another thing that is tough to ignore is the people that witnessed the effect and the gaming smiles on their faces and responses.

I understand the negatives now and why they're there but for me to buy this, the positives must heavily out weigh the negatives ( which there is ton -- performance, price, in-game compatibility)

What this technology represents to me is choice to play games differently with much more depth, immersion and realism over-all. I have played games with higher resolutions for years and years and depth is one of the most impressive aspects of 3d. To feel like you're inside the game -- been saying it for nearly a decade. This isn't perfect but may be the best there is for this at this time.

The choice is mine to decide. Can wait for prices to drop; Can wait for the technology to mature or can buy now and enjoy some aspects and go through some growing pains as it matures a bit.
Go for it.. I 'll be waiting to see how exactly it matures.. hope it takes off..

EDIT:

After watching Jen-Hsun Huang, CEO Nvidia on Charlie Rose I expect the glitches and support to improve sooner rather than later.. Be keeping an eye on these improvements..
3007WFP-HC

Last edited by Anth Seebel : Feb 7, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
Anth Seebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 03:34 PM   #193
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

This is actually good news on a commitment from nVidia by improving Stereo3d drivers moving forward:

Newer drivers so early:

NVIDIA Releases 182.07 Stereo Betas & 1.05 CD Beta

Quote:
New features include:
# Fixed issue with NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Video Player which caused the video to be compressed horizontally
# Updated driver to better support the DepthQ 3D projector

Updated game profiles:

# Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box. Added support for the Trial version
# Crysis Warhead. Updated profile to support DirectX 10
# Guitar Hero Aerosmith. Updated game for new convergence settings
# Mirrors Edge. Updated game profile to recommend using the NVIDIA Control Panel laser sight
# QQ Speed
# Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War® II
http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/news.cgi

Actually found this info at MTBS3d.com but with a little searching found this thread at nVidia from Andrew Fear:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...dpost&p=503982
Old Feb 12, 2009, 01:29 PM   #194
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

This is an interesting aspect and actually applaud it: The reviewer gamed with the GeForce3d Vision for some time instead of a day or two to get a feel over-all on the product.

Quote:
When it comes to gaming in 3D the experience is truly beautiful and I'm not trying to sugar coat it. I've been playing PC games since the late 1990's and this is by far the most significant advancement that I have ever seen.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/889/7/

Going to reread this review again to see if I missed anything.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:43 PM   #195
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

i cant wait man. 7 days till taxes are back. Then four days for all the shipping, or longer. Woot!
This makes me happier then any graphics card i have ever though of buying or actually bought.
I was very happy and surprised to have physx on one video card and a 260 paired with it and be able to game with that level today. Its only been weeks since i got that setup.
Now i'm more than excited somehow feeling like this about the 3d experience. Reminds me of my dreams of when i was a child. This will make seemless 3d-gaming/ applications to converge with our waking conscious reality in ways we can only begin to imagine. You think the future has arrived??
Imagine these :
3-d movies taking places in your living room, like the area was a huge set with elements all around you all moving in alignment with your normal 20/20 vision.

3-d inter active games that include you in the 3d action requiring you to almost act out what you want the character(which is you)/but overlayered with a texture so you appear to take on the actual visual experience of what the game is trying to get you to do

Now games will occur all around us in our living space, just as painting or couches or tv's occur now.

Imagine sims!! the game will have people that come over to your house to respond to what your character does in the game, using your furniture or upgraded textures to make your surroundings more lavish and too your tastes if it doesnt already.

You could be in the cockpit of a plane soaring through clouds and mountains or on the 13th level of a descending dungeon game, with affects getting darker and ominous around you, as to add to the feeling.

Being able to have this inegrated with 7.1 surround so the locations of the sounds and the visuals is so seemless, it adds even more depth and perception dimensions because they have their own sound and 3-d location in front of and around you.

I imagine seeing a fireball flying past me with sizzling and explosions and popping as it rolls out of the screen infront of and then PAST ME?? OMG THIS SEEMS SO COOL!
I agree, that this is the coolest thing for gaming to go into and add more DEPTH/DIMENSION/EXPERIENCE to any game then ever possible.
Devs will write it this way, coders/writers/scripters/animators/sound engineers will be developing all the the same 3-d space, layer upon layer of gaming reality all being thrown out and AT and AROUND the customer.
A truly immersive and thought changing way of playing a game, its more than playing, its truly experiencing AS WEE SEE THINGS.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:02 PM   #196
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I feel the same way and like to use World of WarCraft with mages with fireballs and frost bolts and riding our dragons and horses in the imaginations of Blizzard but feel like you actually are.

Nice passionate post. These kinds of features are not about numbers but about trying to improve current gaming experiences.

Jethro has been banned from here and Anandtech.com but he Pm'd me at Anand's before the banning and usually what is said in PM's stays in PM's.

He said to me with no one else but for me to read:

Quote:
Sir Paulie - I think you more than anyone need to get 3D Vision. Not because it's perfect, not because it's "a good deal", but because when it works it offers something unlike anything else and considerably better.
The thing is I have known him way before the focus days and that quote hits home to me.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:42 PM   #197
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

Couldnt agree more. I am glad others are having the same feeling and sense of this technology really.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:29 AM   #198
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/57423/x-pl...g?c=Videogames

Sort of a fluff piece but thought the clear glasses were cool to me -- could see some of the technology of the glasses.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:40 AM   #199
sama98b
Radeon R700

sama98b is still being judged by the masses

Something new :
Quote:
Olympus Japan release today a new PC 3D Kit for content creators. This kit will be bundled with a monitor recommended by Olympus Visual Communications. According to the Japanese manufacturer, thanks to this kit you’ll be able to check the 3D stereoscopic effect of your works directly on a PC monitor.

So, our PC 3D Kit will features shutter glasses allowing 3D Stereoscopics viewing on a standard LCD monitor, a controller box, and a 24-Inch BenQ LCD monitor which provides a full HD resolution, and a response time of 5ms.
Our new Olympus kit should be only available in Japan on February 23th.
No more 120hz new monitor req.

Guess they figured out there is more then 1 way to render stereoscopic :P
Was always wondering why not on lcd, when the old 60hz crt could do it :P
(page fliping / interlaced rendering)
- Asus EEE 1005pe .. inet everywhere
- Acer K11 projector 62", Lg 24", Samsung 15", 2xWD MB. 2Tb,
WD green 2x 1.5/2Tb, WD 5x500Gb, tt docking, ..
Razer Mamba/copperhead/lachesis/exactmat/vespula,
wacom bamboo pen ..
sama98b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:08 AM   #200
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

It's nice to have choices.

The idea is to actually have 60hz per eye to me and the industry is moving toward 120hz screens.

There selling this with a kit and in Japan.

If nVidia has some limitations with in-game settings -- what do you think this software has?

How is the performance in games or multi-GPU?

How is the compatible 3d stereo aspect in games -- never mind in-game settings?

Granted, there are some in-game settings that need to be tweaked to enjoy Stereo3d much more and nVidia has created profiles to make it easier for a gamer to enjoy it quicker without trial-and-error. Never mind the ability to enjoy it in most titles.

How is the quality?

Will check the kit out though and still a nice choice on the surface for existing LCD's.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:51 AM   #201
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sama98b View Post
Something new :

No more 120hz new monitor req.

Guess they figured out there is more then 1 way to render stereoscopic :P
Was always wondering why not on lcd, when the old 60hz crt could do it :P
(page fliping / interlaced rendering)
Shutter glasses + 60Hz LCD = If you want 30Hz, half screen resolution per eye, then go for it.

Edit:
This is being targeted to 3D content designers/artists for previewing their effect in real time using specific software. You don't need a 120Hz monitor for that, because it's not targeted for gaming, but funny enough the monitor that is included is "over 75Hz":

With a refresh rate over 75Hz and a GTG response time of 2ms, the BenQ monitor is the ideal combination for minimizing flicker and ghost-images.

With shutter-type 3D stereoscopic systems, flicker is least noticeable on monitors with high refresh rate. Ghost-images can be reduced by using monitors with fast response times. The BenQ E2400HD monitor bundled with the kit is recommended by Olympus Visual Communications as the best monitor currently on the market for displaying 3D content

http://www.dcviews.com/press/olympus-3d-viewer.htm
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.

Last edited by Exposed : Feb 17, 2009 at 09:16 AM.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 04:17 AM   #202
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Check out Firingsquad's "review" of 3D vision here:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_3d_vision/

Very informative read.
Basically, it's not worth it because:
- 200$ for the glasses is a bit too much.
- poor choice of compatible monitors or hdtvs.
- lack of implementation.
- the performance hit is huge.

It's worth it because:
- it's the future, and when it works it's apparently mind blowing.
- according to them Left 4 Dead using 3D vision is an out of this world experience.
- Call of Duty 5 is also very nice.

I can't wait for this technology to become more mainstream, tbh. Having bullets _drop out of the screen_ when you're firing your Thompson in COD5 seems almost like science fiction.

There are some other interesting things in that article. For example, certain 3D effects are incompatible with this technology. For example Motion Blur is a no-no.
Also, if the game doesn't have a "crosshair off" option it's pretty bad, as you're going to end up with 2 crosshairs on the screen.

Check it out.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 05:20 AM   #203
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

The key to me is to have the ability to have the potential to enjoy 3d stereo now and almost finishing my upgrade for Empire:Total War coming soon. Do need to replace my 20.1 second monitor and the 22 inch 120hz would do the job and offer me new abilities that my 25.5 inch monitor can't do. This doesn't mean I have to get rid of the 25.5 but will use both monitors -- depends on gaming title.

The glasses are priced a bit high but there are two aspects:

1) The rechargeable aspect is nice and no need to add batteries -- That's worth a bit more to me.

2) The software; very important aspect.

So, when I look at pricing; it is software and the glasses. Feel, they're worth 129 dollars and may pay a 70 dollar premium. Feel the monitors are worth paying 249-299 dollars and a 50-100 dollar premium. Total - 120- 170 premium to have the ability now. Not too bad.

Was hoping more for in-game compatible aspects but still very pleased with the ability to add 3d stereo without the need of developers adding it to their engines.

Since GTX-260 Sli was used in that article -- very good data for me. Can't wait to use this in World of WarCraft and to fool with the depth perception settings.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 05:58 AM   #204
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The problem for me is that I'm not ready to spend over 600 dollars, which where are i live translate in euros, on a pair of glasses and a new LCD for only a handful of games, especially considering I have a very good 24' Samsung LCD already.

I'll gladly do it tho' when more games get official support, and by that I mean _actual dev support_, not driver compatibility from nvidia, and a more varied array of 120Hz monitors.

it's a really cool tecnhology, so I can't wait.

The performance aspect doesn't affect me much, as the GTX285 I'm currently having seems more than capable of handling 3D vision.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:28 AM   #205
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

all,imho!

That's the view for many, many gamers and very understandable. But right now it's in its early adoption mode and needs maturity, probably aimed at gamers looking for improved gaming experiences that may spend a bit more.

For this to become mainstream:

1) Improve the perception of gimmick that some have and prove it really raises the bar of immersion

2) Improve in-game compatibility so gamers have less sacrifices

3) Continue to improve over time with driver releases

4) 120hz 3d ready monitors become mainstreamed price with many more options and resolutions.

5) Cheaper 3d glasses and software.

6) Showcase titles and the ability to show out-of-screen effects and to have seamless abilities.

Right now many gamers have 60hz monitors and some just did purchase a bigger 24 inch monitor or higher and pretty tough to expect these gamers to buy another monitor just for 3d stereo.

That's understandable. But this 3d stereo isn't about today, tomorrow, next week, next month or next year but a commitment to bring 3d stereo to the gamer moving forward starting now; as the industry is moving to 3d.

The only thing I fear is nVidia just stops supporting it. I don't think so and hoping it will be similar to Sli. Sli was tough going for early adopters but as the days, weeks, months, years passed, the abilities and flexibility did improve.

For this to even have a chance of working, the software must make it easier to enjoy the stereo 3ffect and the quality must be high.

Going to order it in a few weeks and will investigate the effect itself more than anything else and what it does to raise the bar of immersion. And for the negatives I see, will try to find out why something is amiss and what can change or improve it moving forward..

Don't mind going through some growing pains and added costs for the ability to have it now -- but only if the effect is quality.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:33 AM   #206
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Another example of nVidia trying to make an impression with Stereo3d moving foward:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/gdc-2009.html

Quote:
The In and Out: Making games play right with 3D Stereoscopic Technologies
4:00-5:00 pm, Room 3016 (West Hall), Thursday, Mar 25
Speakers: Samuel Gateau, NVIDIA Corporation

This session will present an overview of Stereoscopic graphic technology, and cover the common pitfalls and solutions a developer needs to be aware of to ensure that their content will create a compelling 3D experience. Topics to be covered include: achieving out of screen effects, displaying 3D video content, and how to design a 3D friendly user interface. With live demonstrations!!

https://www.cmpevents.com/GD09/a.asp...&V=3&id=573678

A little write-up on what Samuel Gateau does.

Quote:
Sam is a member of the Developer Technology group at NVIDIA, who spends his energy and creativity pushing pixels and teaching high-end, real-time computer graphics to Games, DCC, and CAD developers. Before that, he was enjoying the sun of Toulouse in France working in the virtual reality industry on extravagant visual simulations, navigation systems, showrooms and museum applications
His name was in a few nVidia PDF files since he is part of Developer technology group.

It's good to see nVidia is trying to get those out-of-screen effects in games.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 05:05 PM   #207
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Here is a PR from nVidia about GeForce3d Vision -- a lot of quotes from developers which is neat:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1236082877315.html

Quote:
I expected to see a marginal improvement over the previous generation of this technology, but what I saw blew me away—crystal-clear 3D with no hint of flickering or ghosting! It had me grinning from ear to ear, frothing superlatives like a lover on Valentine’s Day,” said Stephen Viljoen, Chief Operating Officer, Slightly Mad Studios, developer of the upcoming Electronic Arts title, Need for Speed: Shift. “For the first time, the technology is at a level where one can have full-on gaming sessions without any side effects, apart from sore facial muscles from all the grinning. I've seen the future and it’s beautiful!”

“The world of Nero and Dante in Devil May Cry takes on a life of its own when played using 3D Vision technology,” said Jun Takeuchi, General Manager of R&D Strategic Planning Department of Capcom. “The level of immersion is simply staggering, and we look forward to taking advantage of this superior stereoscopic technology in our future titles.”

“THQ is an avid supporter of PC gaming, with leading titles like Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 and our Company of Heroes franchise,” said Roy Tessler, Senior Vice President of Production and Worldwide Studios at THQ. “We’re impressed by NVIDIA 3D Vision, and look forward to exploring the use of this technology in future titles to showcase its immersive effects.”

“Playing Spore with 3D Vision represents a whole new evolution in game play,” said Lucy Bradshaw, general manager, Maxis. “There’s something intrinsically satisfying in watching your creations grow and interact with other creatures in a true 3D 360-degree environment.”

“3D gaming? We’ve heard it all before. That’s what we thought as well before we saw what our game looks like running on NVIDIA 3D Vision technology. Nothing can prepare you for the shock that awaits you—you really have to see it to believe it,” said Pete Lake, Senior Producer on Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box at Criterion Games. “Oncoming traffic comes at you like you’re actually standing in front of it, pull a wheelie on a motorbike and you find yourself leaning back! The hardest part is not reaching into the screen to pick things up they look so real!”

“We are always looking forward at what is going to be the next leap in groundbreaking technology,” said Darryl Still, International Publishing Director, 1C Publishing. “I was staggered by the fully immersive experience of 3D Vision, and firmly believe consumers will be too.”

“NVIDIA 3D Vision is way ahead of any other consumer 3D product I’ve ever tested,” said Niklas Westberg, Technical Director, Massive Entertainment, an Ubisoft Company.

“One of the most interesting things about NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision is that it makes game replayability a really enjoyable experience. You get to know your favorite games even better—you can fully immerse into those games, and enjoy a full 3D experience. NVIDIA 3D Vision makes people want to play their games again to discover what they missed the first time around,” said Bartosz Brzostek, CTO of Metropolis Software. “As we aim to offer to players new fields of gaming experiences with each game, we are in close cooperation with NVIDIA to fully support the 3D Vision technology.”

“A big part of The Witcher’s appeal is that it deeply immerses players in a bleak medieval fantasy world unlike any other RPG, and with NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision the game’s tremendous atmosphere is taken to an entirely new level—without any work on our end, really,” said Adam Kiciński, CEO, CD Projekt RED. “We’re really excited about the future potential of the technology, and our artists and designers can’t wait to see how further development and optimization can elevate the visual quality of our future titles even further.”
Old Mar 5, 2009, 05:23 PM   #208
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Checking out GeForce3d Vision bundle and getting close to order and noticed at TigerDirect that it is #2 for items sold --which seems very high to me.

Quote:
1. XFX GeForce 9800 GTX + Video

2. Samsung 2233RZ 22" 3D Gaming

3. XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512MB Vi

4. XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+ Black

5. XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Fatal1t

6. PNY GeForce 8600 GT Video Ca

7. XFX GeForce GTX 260 Black Ed

8. Visiontek Radeon HD 3870 512

9. BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC 1GB P

10.XFX Radeon HD 4870 XXX Editi
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...me=Video-Cards
Old Mar 6, 2009, 04:24 PM   #209
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

It looks like Jon Peddie is starting to get on the 3d stereo bandwagon:

Quote:
What is the compelling emerging technology?

JP: The newest thing in gaming is stereovision, introduced at CES by Nvidia. They weren’t the first [to create it], but they productized it better and their solution, which will be the dominant solution, involves new monitors with a refresh rate of 120 hertz. [They create] two images side by side [when viewed] with special glasses. One eye sees one image for 1/60 of a second and the other eye sees another image at 1/60 of a second, and you get the stereoscopic effect. But you have to buy a new monitor. These new monitors are being very aggressively priced at about $300, so it won’t be a special pain to get one of these new monitors. That is very affordable, and I think it’s one of the things we’ll be seeing as a stimulus as well.

He talks about IZ3d as well in the article:

http://industry.bnet.com/technology/...th-jon-peddie/

All this is good to me.

Also it looks like MTBS may finally be receiving GeForce3d vision and looking forward to what they think:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
and yes, NVIDIA is supposed to send us samples to help facilitate our testing process
Old Mar 12, 2009, 04:36 PM   #210
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Here is a poll that is in the 3dVision forum at nZone and the percentage is very high for ghosting and some nice views in there.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=91230

The key is it must be some tough to receive a ghost free experience in all and what is the difference compared to other solutions and past solutions?

Glad, that I am waiting to get more of a feel on what to expect.