Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:47 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

It's not true 3d as it's not raytraced holograms, its still a 2d trick of the brain to think its seeing depth.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:29 PM   #62
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I don't know, semantic in nature these kinds of debates. The effect allows much more 3d depth and can see someone using the wording "true 3d." GeForce 3d vision allows a true 3d look to "3d ready" displays.
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:14 AM   #63
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I found a person that is going after the 3d glasses in a negative way - Charlie at the Inquirer.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ses-technology
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 31, 2008, 04:41 PM   #64
DEDloc
Radeon R300

DEDloc is still being judged by the masses

O.K...sure....except that Charlie is not very well informed.
The shutter technology he mentions as too expensive is how old now? Technology has improved since then and it can be done cheaper now...not to mention that shutters is most likely the best method (seems like anyway).
Old Jan 1, 2009, 08:44 AM   #65
trinibwoy
Radeon Evergreen

trinibwoy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEDloc View Post
O.K...sure....except that Charlie is not very well informed.
The shutter technology he mentions as too expensive is how old now? Technology has improved since then and it can be done cheaper now...not to mention that shutters is most likely the best method (seems like anyway).
Funny how all of the quality alternative technologies he mentioned are less practical, harder to implement and more expensive than the shutter glasses. Like I said, the guy is pathetic.
trinibwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 01:50 PM   #66
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
The NVIDIA booth is the FIRST place to see new NVIDIA custom engineered, active shutter glasses paired with the latest pure ViewSonic and Samsung 120 Hz LCDs, Mitsubishi Home Theater TVs, and DepthQ HD 3D projectors.
It's nice to see other company's 120hz LCD's mentioned besides ViewSonic.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/events...ents_2009.html
Old Jan 2, 2009, 02:19 PM   #67
DEDloc
Radeon R300

DEDloc is still being judged by the masses

Not to mention that Samsung will be less expensive down the road...ummmm...did I just mention that? ....anyway.... what can I say....I'm poor.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 04:11 PM   #68
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Eventually, many of the wide-screens may be "3d ready" moving forward and become mainstream. As with anything new -- there is some premium for early adopters but the question is how much?

I don't think anyone is against 120hz LCD monitors and should be very welcomed by many, one may imagine. Don't understand Charlie's thought process.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 04:34 PM   #69
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?...dpost&p=258197

Picture of ChrisRay's 3d glasses -- the bastard! And maybe a Samsung, 120hz monitor?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:06 PM   #70
JethroBodine
Banned

JethroBodine is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?...dpost&p=258197

Picture of ChrisRay's 3d glasses -- the bastard! And maybe a Samsung, 120hz monitor?
Could be.

As I noted in the comments in the Inquirer article, Charlie is off base about the NVIDIA 3d.

IMO, this changes everything and anyone who tries this won't want to game any other way.

It's that good.
JethroBodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:34 PM   #71
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Jethro, we need something to disagree about -- like the old days! We agree too much and must be micro-conditioning!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:47 PM   #72
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I just read your Inquirer comment Jethro -- and the rest of the others that were added since I last look.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:28 PM   #73
JethroBodine
Banned

Quote:
Jethro, we need something to disagree about -- like the old days! We agree too much and must be micro-conditioning!
Won't be this Mr. Immersion.

Here's a sound byte:

I have arguably the one of the world's better gaming monitors (Dell 3007WFP-HC) and the world's best video card for driving it. (NVIDIA GTX295)

I don't know if I'll ever use it again for gaming.

Note from NVIDIA:
They asked me to post they will still support the Zalman displays in response to some of the comments posted about them.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 04:17 AM   #74
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

That's a comment that redefines how a gamer thinks and says a lot actually.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 06:31 AM   #75
JethroBodine
Banned

Quote:
That's a comment that redefines how a gamer thinks and says a lot actually.
The only obstacle NVIDIA has with 3DVision IMO is people won't be able to understand what it really means to the gaming experience without seeing it first hand.

I think I can be a fairly descriptive poster, but I'm at somewhat of a loss what to say about this.

I'll try:

Looking straight ahead at the room before you, would you rather see a picture of the room, as if you were sitting in front of a billboard? Or would you rather see the room itself?

That's what 3DVision is like.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 07:40 AM   #76
Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel is still being judged by the masses

So how does this work ? Does a game need to support it or it works on all games ?

IMO it will be hard for it to take off unless it works on all games..

30" 120HZ is gunna be stupidly expensive for a while.. 22" at 120HZ or 30" at 60Hz when 60FPS is very nice anyway.. we'll see..
3007WFP-HC
Anth Seebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 07:56 AM   #77
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It's pretty much works in hundreds of games as they have been making these 3d stereographic drivers for years.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 08:16 AM   #78
Anth Seebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
It's pretty much works in hundreds of games as they have been making these 3d stereographic drivers for years.
From memory, you needed a game to support it as well..

Kinda meh if it's gunna be so hit and miss..
3007WFP-HC
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:30 AM   #79
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

This is why this article did stand out to me and been following this to learn:

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/acce...9288550,00.htm

Quote:
The important part is that game developers won't have to do anything differently. They just continue to make their games the way they want, and Nvidia will take care of the rest

I'm not saying every title but the only way this may work it has to offer some serious compatibility.

Quote:
The really powerful thing about the driver is that it can convert any game with positional depth information to work with a 3D-ready display. It’s a very powerful statement for a game developer and there’s a lot of value added for them. They don’t need to create a special version of their game. They don’t need to rewrite their game engine. They don’t need to do any of that to make their game work; our drivers can automatically do that for them.
http://www.gamecyte.com/is-your-gami...tereoscopic-3d

From what I've read DirectX 7, 8, 9, 10 with openGL added later on. I don't know for sure and will learn more when these are official.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:32 AM   #80
Anth Seebel

Thanks for pointing this out so clearly SirPauly.. promising info..

This is starting to look better and better..

The only negative I can think of atm is the need to wear glasses.. that mite be kinda annoying for long periods..
3007WFP-HC
Old Jan 3, 2009, 01:29 PM   #81
JethroBodine
Banned

Quote:
This is why this article did stand out to me and been following this to learn:

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/acce...9288550,00.htm

I'm not saying every title but the only way this may work it has to offer some serious compatibility.

http://www.gamecyte.com/is-your-gami...tereoscopic-3d

From what I've read DirectX 7, 8, 9, 10 with openGL added later on. I don't know for sure and will learn more when these are official.
I loaded up a game from 2003 to try, baddabing. Didn't want to turn it off.

I kid you not people: this is the future of gaming in my opinion.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 01:37 PM   #82
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Glad you're enjoying it -- you micro-conditioned bastard, hehe! That's a good test to see if it worked in an older title like that though.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 06:27 AM   #83
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth Seebel View Post
From memory, you needed a game to support it as well..

Kinda meh if it's gunna be so hit and miss..
No the drivers do all the work. I should know I have used 3D stereographic glasses with Nvidia before years ago.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Old Jan 4, 2009, 06:50 AM   #84
Anth Seebel

Yeah so have I.. I was more interested in this new version of the glasses.. the old one's are from quite a few years ago (I recall using them with my GF3 Ti200)..

Looks like it could be good.. will be following reviews closely when available..
3007WFP-HC
Old Jan 4, 2009, 07:36 AM   #85
JethroBodine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth Seebel View Post
Yeah so have I.. I was more interested in this new version of the glasses.. the old one's are from quite a few years ago (I recall using them with my GF3 Ti200)..

Looks like it could be good.. will be following reviews closely when available..
I think you'll be VERY impressed by game support, performance, comfort, and difference in image quality.

My guess is this is the beginning of the end for what we now think of as "3d gaming", because once people see this, they won't want anything else.

ATi will be forced to move to this as well, or they will become another Matrox.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 07:40 AM   #86
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

The problem for me is I have no intention of getting another monitor after the move to my 30" for at least a minimum of 1-2 years.

I couldn't be arsed waiting for the so called 120Hz monitors to appear, which would likely be inferior in PQ to my current monitors anyway.

I'll wait for the monitors to mature a bit.

If I even bother at all that is, sick of spending so much money on PC hardware.

Old Jan 4, 2009, 08:02 AM   #87
JethroBodine
Banned

Quote:
The problem for me is I have no intention of getting another monitor after the move to my 30" for at least a minimum of 1-2 years.

I couldn't be arsed waiting for the so called 120Hz monitors to appear, which would likely be inferior in PQ to my current monitors anyway.

I have a 3007WFP-HC sitting next to the 22" SirBaron, don't know if I'll be using it for gaming anymore.

The thing is "image quality" is being redefined by this- it's no longer about resolution, AA,AF entirely. If you cared enough about image quality to buy a 30" my guess is you might try this as well.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 01:51 PM   #88
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:

Also have a 1920 x 1200 monitor and desire a new monitor and my choices were 2560 x 1600 option or 120hz monitor with Stereo3d and decided to wait -- to see if this was the real deal.

The resolution may be inferior but the effect may be well worth it -- if it is indeed quality.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 01:54 PM   #89
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Words are just words and going to be tough to convince some when one has to see first-hand. I'm pretty convinced based on the first hand views offered so far and really paying attention, but the only way to truly know is frigg'n try it.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:34 PM   #90
JethroBodine
Banned

Quote:
Words are just words and going to be tough to convince some when one has to see first-hand. I'm pretty convinced based on the first hand views offered so far and really paying attention, but the only way to truly know is frigg'n try it.
I've added a bunch of info to this thread, especially today:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...=y&STARTPAGE=2