Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 20, 2020, 12:14 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber
Default Fortnite and auto-aim abuse

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...oller-players/

... Just either disable it entirely or split the player base. Can't help but point out how stupid this is.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020, 12:45 PM   #2
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

It's a an issue on Apex as well, where a lot of the top predators are on controller. I seem to remember hearing on Apex it wasn't as powerful though.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020, 12:57 PM   #3
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Yeah when the top players are switching from keyboard & mouse to controller you know something's wrong.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 20, 2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Yeah when the top players are switching from keyboard & mouse to controller you know something's wrong.
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020, 01:09 PM   #5
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Well I just don't understand how this is allowed at all. Auto-Aim is cheating and if I used it on KB/Mouse I would rightfully be ban hammered. But if I use a controller its ok BS! These player base's shouldn't mix outside of casual play.\

p.s. Or just give the KB/M side the same auto-aim and just make it part of the game.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Old May 20, 2020, 01:38 PM   #6
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Certain guns in Destiny 2 benefit from this as well. Some more than others.

It doesn't help that a ton of PC players came from consoles, and still prefer to use the controller to play.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020, 01:58 PM   #7
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It's been like this since late last year in Fortnite, the aim assist for controllers (on PC) is almost aim-bot like, to the point where if you watched some of the clips you wouldn't be able to tell if it was legit or an actual aimbot. On consoles aim assist is fairly balanced from what I've read.

It even works like a wallhack by tracking through conditions where there is no visibility, for example in most video games foliage or particle effects (explosions/smoke/debris/fire etc) don't have a hitbox - so kb/mouse players can't see or shoot accurately through those, whereas controller players "wallhack/aimbot" through them just fine.

I'm not surprised to see articles about this hit the gaming press, I knew it would eventually happen as some of the top streamers/pros have switched to other games citing the aim-assist as their primary reason.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020, 10:28 PM   #8
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

From what I understand, in Apex there's no wallhack or aimbot or anything like that with aim assist. What it does is kindda slows the crosshair when you are over the enemy, so it is easier to track. The fortnite one seems way more powerful.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 12:03 AM   #9
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
From what I understand, in Apex there's no wallhack or aimbot or anything like that with aim assist. What it does is kindda slows the crosshair when you are over the enemy, so it is easier to track. The fortnite one seems way more powerful.
Yea the one in Apex is balanced. The one in Fortnite is almost straight up like a cheat.

System:
Old May 21, 2020, 01:18 AM   #10
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexion View Post
It's been like this since late last year in Fortnite, the aim assist for controllers (on PC) is almost aim-bot like, to the point where if you watched some of the clips you wouldn't be able to tell if it was legit or an actual aimbot. On consoles aim assist is fairly balanced from what I've read.

It even works like a wallhack by tracking through conditions where there is no visibility, for example in most video games foliage or particle effects (explosions/smoke/debris/fire etc) don't have a hitbox - so kb/mouse players can't see or shoot accurately through those, whereas controller players "wallhack/aimbot" through them just fine.

I'm not surprised to see articles about this hit the gaming press, I knew it would eventually happen as some of the top streamers/pros have switched to other games citing the aim-assist as their primary reason.
Sounds like they gave the junior dev the job to create the auto aim with no supervision
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 06:59 AM   #11
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

The whole auto aim for gamepads is so ****ing dumb as it is. I've both played fps games without it and owned, and seen some amazing constant headshot play from hard core gamepad players. Gamepads dont NEED auto aim. The learning curve is the same as with m&k, and the top end gameplay is almost identical.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 10:21 AM   #12
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
The whole auto aim for gamepads is so ****ing dumb as it is. I've both played fps games without it and owned, and seen some amazing constant headshot play from hard core gamepad players. Gamepads dont NEED auto aim. The learning curve is the same as with m&k, and the top end gameplay is almost identical.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 10:29 AM   #13
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Yeah, I can't see that even being remotely possible. If someone claims that, I want to see the video or the match result of two top tier/pro players with mouse and controller.
Old May 21, 2020, 10:49 AM   #14
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Yeah, I can't see that even being remotely possible. If someone claims that, I want to see the video or the match result of two top tier/pro players with mouse and controller.

I do this all the time in Watch Dogs 2 Bounty Hunter against mouse and keyboard players. If you don't believe, feel free to play Watch Dogs 2 with me my handle is "istolethis" .
Old May 21, 2020, 11:19 AM   #15
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
I do this all the time in Watch Dogs 2 Bounty Hunter against mouse and keyboard players. If you don't believe, feel free to play Watch Dogs 2 with me my handle is "istolethis" .
But that's no way to determine which is actually better, you know that.

Just signing on to some lobby and going up against players of unknown skill really doesn't prove anything either way. I know, I know...everyone just claims they are VERY good and their opponents are exceptionally talented as well.

I'd have to see two pro players head to head before I believe it.
Old May 21, 2020, 11:19 AM   #16
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Just because a person is on Game-Pad doesn't mean they can't tear you a new one quick. Play style may be different, but they can hold their own without a cheat style auto-aim system like fortnite.

System:
Old May 21, 2020, 11:40 AM   #17
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Brainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBrainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It's difficult though. Epic is scared that if all the console people are getting stomped they will quit playing and there goes massive amounts of revenue.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:49 PM   #18
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstew View Post
It's difficult though. Epic is scared that if all the console people are getting stomped they will quit playing and there goes massive amounts of revenue.
They have 3 choices

1) Re-balance and tweak it(See a vast array of games that do it better)
2) Split the player-base
3) Give everyone lock-on functionality

Imho it should probably just do 3 if they are worried about splitting the player base or pissing off game-padders. If everyone has it, no one will feel slighted.

System:
Old May 21, 2020, 01:53 PM   #19
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
But that's no way to determine which is actually better, you know that.

Just signing on to some lobby and going up against players of unknown skill really doesn't prove anything either way. I know, I know...everyone just claims they are VERY good and their opponents are exceptionally talented as well.

I'd have to see two pro players head to head before I believe it.

Well they're not random, the best Watch Dogs 2 bounty hunters are known on Ubi/ WD2 platforms. Not everyone still plays WD2 these days, and those that do are the long time Master level players like myself.

However this is one of those games where skills trumps input, the game is balanced for both controllers and k/m players, though for rookies k/m players still hold an advantage. There is no auto aim for controllers, not even a little bit, against other players, but the game just plays so smooth/fluid with a controller, even with high powered (and overpowered YourBoySerge) sniper rifles. In bounty hunt I enjoy setting myself as the target and cap ****ers as they try to get me, which can be 3 bounty hunters at one time. IUsually I'm able to get about 20 kills before someone finally figures out how to kill me or I escape by jumping on a bike (and that is an adventure in itself, escaping from 3 Master level bounty hunters who knows all the tricks you do, all with heat level 5 NPC cops after you ).

Last edited by Exposed : May 21, 2020 at 02:04 PM.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 02:22 PM   #20
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Part of the problem with such analysis is that games usually include aim-assist for controllers already. I expect that the reason you're able to compete is because you're benefiting from generous auto-aim and you just haven't noticed it.

A quick google search shows people complaining that aim-assist cannot be turned off. I'm finding posts that are a few years old... maybe they've patched out the aim-assist since then, but I really doubt that controller players are competitive with m+k players without it.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards...ogs-2/74614437
https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthrea...ers-COMPLETELY

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580

Last edited by SubCog : May 21, 2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old May 21, 2020, 02:36 PM   #21
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Just because a person is on Game-Pad doesn't mean they can't tear you a new one quick. Play style may be different, but they can hold their own without a cheat style auto-aim system like fortnite.
I remember having this discussion with a friend-of-a-friend a couple decades back. He was a competitive halo2 player on xbox, and insisted that he could destroy anyone, regardless of their controller type. I challenged him to Quake3 on dreamcast, with him on controller and me on m+k. I was never a great player, but I absolutely destroyed him... I don't think he ever scored a single point against me. The difference was gigantic.

I remember reading similar findings from microsoft's play-testing as well... there was a time early in the 360 era when they were experimenting with combining console & pc gamers into the same servers, and ultimately determined that it was just better to segregate them.

The difference for fortnight is that most people play casually so the difference doesn't matter much.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old May 21, 2020, 04:00 PM   #22
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Part of the problem with such analysis is that games usually include aim-assist for controllers already. I expect that the reason you're able to compete is because you're benefiting from generous auto-aim and you just haven't noticed it.

A quick google search shows people complaining that aim-assist cannot be turned off. I'm finding posts that are a few years old... maybe they've patched out the aim-assist since then, but I really doubt that controller players are competitive with m+k players without it.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards...ogs-2/74614437
https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthrea...ers-COMPLETELY
That refers to NPC's, in which there is a soft aim assist.

There is NO aim assist for multiplayer players. You could try loading up the game and see for yourself. The WD2 community would be up in a storm if aim assist existed for multiplayer modes like Bounty Hunter, Hacking Invasion, and Showdown. Those links are describing the single player experience.

Last edited by Exposed : May 21, 2020 at 04:11 PM.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote