Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Mar 3, 2021, 03:20 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Renocide
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Renocide is still being judged by the masses

Default Do I have the right...

I am a independent contractor. I drive my personal vehicle while making deliveries.

I work for a company that has a contract to make deliveries for a different company. This is not food. This is not Uber or Doordash or any "gig" type of work. What we deliver is pretty important.

During the recent snow storm I was unable/unwilling to make it to work 3 days of the week. My first attempt I actually slid into a snow bank and damaged the front of my car. Minor damage but still...

Due to my independent contractor status the company that pays me is not obligated to compensate me for any damages to my vehicle or injuries if I get hurt on the job.

About 6, out of about 20ish, drivers that had AWD vehicles were able to make it in and drove to make deliveries. Obviously they were paid to make those deliveries and I made no money during the days I was not there. So anyone that drove my area got paid the money I would have been making.

I believe these people deserve something for taking that risk. They were taking a chance on hurting themselves or damage to their vehicle and should be compensated for that.

One of the drivers that did come in suggested that they allow those drivers routes of their choosing. Some routes pay ok and some routes pay really well. I have worked there for 2 years and get paid better than most because I work a lot of shifts that other drivers don't want to run(evenings and weekends). I have two routes that are the "good" kind and I got those because they called me and asked me if I wanted them. Not only are these two routes good paying but they are during the day so many of our drivers want them.

So I BELIEVE I am losing these two routes. They make up about %35 of my pay. It's going to be a pretty big pay cut.

How would you feel if you were in this situation?

One on hand I feel like they deserve something for the risk they took to come in but on the other....should it cost ME %35 of my pay??

I was thinking maybe it was going to be a temporary change and give them the routes for a month or so but now they are talking about it being a permanent change.

Renocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 03:29 AM   #2
KAC
:rolleyes:

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I would definitely have an open conversation about it and share the reasons why you weren’t able to make it and how this change can actually impact you significantly financially. They deserved for the 3 days but definitely not permanently cutting you out. Also it is a wolf’s world out there. Either you are wolf or you are sheep. Clearly the other wolves have wanted this meat so it is time to dig in and protect what is yours.

Also tell them that you now have a minivan and can traffick/deliver whatever they want.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 09:04 AM   #3
greyghost
people are stupid

greyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete stranger

I think KAC is right - talk to them about it.

As an independent, you're basically self-employed. They're probably looking at it as a business standpoint, you had the wrong kind of vehicle, someone else had the right kind, and they see their deliveries can continue fairly uninterrupted despite weather concerns, which makes their business look better.

Nowadays, most businesses don't give a crap about personal relationships. 50 years ago, having the same face be reliable for 2 years meant something. Today, for most companies, it does not. If they do care and have more of a relationship with you and see it as a one-off that couldn't be helped, getting everything back shouldn't be a big deal. If they're the heartless, cold, inhumane variety though, you're only as good as your last week's work.

Try to negotiate your routes back, at *least* one of them -- and look at a different car (I know, easier said than done, but I can tell you older Jeep Cherokees are very reliable and handle a lot of bad conditions well) so they can feel reassured this won't happen in the next snowstorm.

Sorry you are in this situation, man.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 3, 2021, 09:16 AM   #4
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Talking to them is probably the most likely bet for a favorable outcome, but as a private contractor, they likely have no obligation to assure income, offer more for the same service in adverse conditions, or allow a grace period for extenuating circumstances unless it's specifically stated in the contract you have.

If you were an employee, or if you you were in a union which stipulated parts of the contract, these protections could be present (not guaranteed, but they sound like early adds if you were setting it up), but as a private contractor you generally have no recourse but to stop doing business with them unless they were, for example, not paying for work you did or money you were owed.

Perhaps a consolation, if you're using your personal vehicle for contract work, you can definitely write off the mileage and the cost of any repairs from damage along the way on your taxes.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 02:20 PM   #5
xCLAVEx
FCK Joebama/HeelsUpHarris

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

A sticky situation for sure, but as others have said talk with them first. A permanent change that would hack my income I would never agree to if I had a choice, regardless of if somebody else deserved it or not. A temp one for a few days (or trips, whatever) I could probably deal with it.

But yeah, definitely talk with them about it and see what you can work out. Maybe there's a solution that can make all parties happy?