Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

View Poll Results: Who is buying an iPad2 to make poorer appletards jelly?
This guy! 3 10.00%
That guy! 12 40.00%
I'm actually an appletard and I take offense but cannot resist the urge to vote. 1 3.33%
I can't. But make those appletards weep their bitter tears for those of us who can't. 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 2, 2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Who is buying the new iPad2 to make iPad1 owners jelly

This guy!

(now with Poll action!)
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Serotonin
Lacking details

Serotonin is still being judged by the masses

I'm happy with my original. I don't see enough changes to warrant buying a new one, I have no use for cameras. If it had a usb or sd slot, I'd strongly consider the upgrade.
Serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

You know, there's a pretty awesome subforum just for this. I bought a Xoom to make iPad owners jelly

No, not really I bought a Xoom because it's a badass product
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:08 PM   #4
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Dang. I hadn't thought of the Xoom. Oh yes I did and I don't want to be on Verizon.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
You know, there's a pretty awesome subforum just for this. I bought a Xoom to make iPad owners jelly

No, not really I bought a Xoom because it's a badass product
iPad 2 just pwnd your Xoom.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Serotonin
Lacking details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
With it's same resolution and lack of ports as the original?

2 cameras mean that much to you huh, mang?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If the god damn thing actually had a USB port, I would consider upgrading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:14 PM   #8
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAg Of FuRy View Post
With it's same resolution and lack of ports as the original?

2 cameras mean that much to you huh, mang?
What's with you guys and the need for ports? Oh, it doesn't have a port. OMG!

2 cameras, dual cpu's, keep the iPad 2 on par and probably faster than the Xoom. Plus more apps, more functionality, support, user base, and all around better user experience. So it matches the Xoom for a whole lot less. iPad pricing can't be matched.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Serotonin
Lacking details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
If the god damn thing actually had a USB port, I would consider upgrading.
Exactly. **** it, give me an sd slot and I'd even consider it, really annoying and plain frustrating that they didn't include something as basic as a usb port. I'll even take a 1.1
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:16 PM   #10
Serotonin
Lacking details

Quote:
What's with you guys and the need for ports? Oh, it doesn't have a port. OMG!

2 cameras, dual cpu's, keep the iPad 2 on par and probably faster than the Xoom. Plus more apps, more functionality, support, user base, and all around better user experience. So it matches the Xoom for a whole lot less.
I'm speaking as an owner of the ipad, it lacks anything innovative enough for me to want to upgrade. I want usb. It doesn't have it, so I will stick with my original ipad.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:46 PM   #11
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
16:10 10.1" 1280x800 screen just owned iPad 2. This cannot be argued. 4:3 sucks. The only thing on the iPad 2 that MIGHT own the Xoom is the GPU, and there's really no telling since 'up to 9x performance' tells me nothing and the Xoom is already stellar in the 3D realm, pushing more pixels no less. Oh and the fact the Xoom is already rooted, already overclocked, yeah iPad 2 didn't own jack I'm at 1.5ghz on my Xoom and my battery life is STILL phenomenal. Yeah, give me a Xoom any day over your closed ecosystem

Also, a 'whole lot less?' In what world do you live in? The Xoom is priced competitively with the same tier iPad

Oh yeah and I don't have to spend $40 bucks to have HDMI out with some crapass dongle Hey and how bout those push notifications? Oh wait, the Xoom doesn't have to put up with that crap.

Last edited by Elysian : Mar 2, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:55 PM   #12
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I'm happy with my original. I don't see enough changes to warrant buying a new one, I have no use for cameras.

If it had a higher rez screen, I'd buy it.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:55 PM   #13
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
The iPad 2 isn't much different than the iPad... 33% thinner and a couple ounces or so lighter. The CPU is now dual-core I believe, but it's an upgrade and not a revolution to the format by any means.

Things still missing:

A USB port

A card reader for pictures

A price reduction for the line

My thoughts, if you want a tablet the iPad 2 is a great choice (especially the cheapo 16gb non-contract) but it is no longer your only choice or even the best choice depending on what you want. IMO if you're blowing $600+ the Xoom is a better wireless-G option since ATT sucks compared to Verizon... and it's a fully finctional and more open Android OS.

The smart move? Wait a few months for summer when everybody and their sister will come out with a nice honeycomb tablet, forcing price drops in this current 2 horse race.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:01 PM   #14
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
The iPad 2 isn't much different than the iPad... 33% thinner and a couple ounces or so lighter. The CPU is now dual-core I believe, but it's an upgrade and not a revolution to the format by any means.

Things still missing:

A USB port

A card reader for pictures

A price reduction for the line

My thoughts, if you want a tablet the iPad 2 is a great choice (especially the cheapo 16gb non-contract) but it is no longer your only choice or even the best choice depending on what you want. IMO if you're blowing $600+ the Xoom is a better wireless-G option since ATT sucks compared to Verizon... and it's a fully finctional and more open Android OS.

The smart move? Wait a few months for summer when everybody and their sister will come out with a nice honeycomb tablet, forcing price drops in this current 2 horse race.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:01 PM   #15
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
16:10 10.1" 1280x800 screen just owned iPad 2. This cannot be argued. 4:3 sucks.
I wonder how the viewing angles and anti-glare coatings compare between these two devices. Isn't IPS tech superior to what is in the Xoom?

You can have the prettiest, high-res screen in the world, but if you have to look at it dead-on with no ambient light in the room, it is next to worthless.

Main PC : Intel Core i7 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS P8P67 Pro, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866-DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Sound Blaster Zx, Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 8TB Seagate Archive, 6TB WD Black, 4TB HGST, 3.0TB Seagate x 2, 1.5TB Seagate x 2, Corsair AX850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF 932, 21" NEC [email protected]

HTPC : Intel Core i5 3570K, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Maximus V Gene, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600-DDR3, ASUS 5850 Direct CU, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W, Silverstone SG09B.

Virtual Server : Intel Core2Quad Q6600, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 16GB OCZ DDR2, eVGA 8800GTX, 74GB Raptor, 500GB Seagate x 4, Intel Ethernet port x 4, Silverstone TJ06.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:03 PM   #16
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Seriously, what was apple thinking sticking with the 1024x768 screen? The iPhone 4 Retina screen beats it hands down in brightness+pixel density. Going to wait for the next refresh thank you very much.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:14 PM   #17
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I still don't see why anyone would need such a device.
lighting up the dark.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:29 PM   #18
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post
I wonder how the viewing angles and anti-glare coatings compare between these two devices. Isn't IPS tech superior to what is in the Xoom?

You can have the prettiest, high-res screen in the world, but if you have to look at it dead-on with no ambient light in the room, it is next to worthless.
Xoom's viewing angles are incredible, no joke. I almost can't find an angle I can't see the screen from. It's also absurdly bright if you want it to be, I never put it above 15% brightness to be honest. The screen on the Xoom is just damned nice and extremely high quality. Friend of mine with the Viewsonic G-tablet is extremely jealous because of the Xoom's viewing angles.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:30 PM   #19
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDoom View Post
See, everyone (and your mama) are turning into geeks nowadays. It's apparently the chic thing.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:32 PM   #20
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

who cares about the iPad2? the resolution is the same, only 512MB of ram, and it still can't multi-task as good as Android-based products
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:32 PM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDoom View Post
Mine replaced my phone and my laptop. I have a dumbphone for calling but I use my tablet for so much now.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:33 PM   #22
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
who cares about the iPad2? the resolution is the same, only 512MB of ram, and it still can't multi-task as good as Android-based products
No confirmation on ram yet. But you're right about the multitasking, iOS's half-assed backgrounding doesn't even come close to the full multitasking on the Xoom.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:36 PM   #23
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
No confirmation on ram yet. But you're right about the multitasking, iOS's half-assed backgrounding doesn't even come close to the full multitasking on the Xoom.
i was considering an iPad, but once i realized that i can't properly multi-task even simple chat programs ... i balked.

being Kernel type Hybrid (Darwin) ...FreeBSD-esque... i don't see why they cannot easily do proper multi-tasking, but then again... i suppose i can understand... (to some limited degree) without studying more about iOS

... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_(Apple)#Multitasking

Quote:
Before iOS 4, multitasking was limited to a selection of the applications Apple included on the devices.[21] Apple worried that running multiple third-party applications simultaneously would drain batteries too quickly. Starting with iOS 4, on 3rd-generation and newer iOS devices, multitasking is supported through seven background APIs

Last edited by erek : Mar 2, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:07 PM   #24
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

I am on the fence, right now while I was ready to plop down the cash on a 32GB 3G/Wifi, I think I might hang off and see the reviews on the LG T-Mobile G Slate 4G. My Ipad still does everything that I would like it to and I am interested to see what iOS 5 will look like in June or July.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:12 PM   #25
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I'm speaking as an owner of the ipad, it lacks anything innovative enough for me to want to upgrade. I want usb. It doesn't have it, so I will stick with my original ipad.
On the plus side, it makes ipad 1 cheaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:27 PM   #26
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Not me nook, color to hold me over until better tabs hit the market.

Also, mobile computing forum?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:36 PM   #27
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
On the plus side, it makes ipad 1 cheaper!
I would think Apple would price this thing 100 dollars more just to make the old one look cheaper lol.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:50 PM   #28
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
16:10 10.1" 1280x800 screen just owned iPad 2. This cannot be argued. 4:3 sucks. The only thing on the iPad 2 that MIGHT own the Xoom is the GPU, and there's really no telling since 'up to 9x performance' tells me nothing and the Xoom is already stellar in the 3D realm, pushing more pixels no less. Oh and the fact the Xoom is already rooted, already overclocked, yeah iPad 2 didn't own jack I'm at 1.5ghz on my Xoom and my battery life is STILL phenomenal. Yeah, give me a Xoom any day over your closed ecosystem

Also, a 'whole lot less?' In what world do you live in? The Xoom is priced competitively with the same tier iPad

Oh yeah and I don't have to spend $40 bucks to have HDMI out with some crapass dongle Hey and how bout those push notifications? Oh wait, the Xoom doesn't have to put up with that crap.
What are you smoking? There are more iPad models at various prices, outpricing the competitors. The Tab is a joke. Xoom is too expensive compared to the comparable iPad (especially when you factor in the lack of apps).

So, let me see you be productive on your Xoom:

Pages
Numbers
Keynote
iMovie
Photogene
Infinity Blade
Massive selection of games available.

I guess you can't. That's why you are busy doing nonsense like rooting and overclocking to give you something to do on it.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:51 PM   #29
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I would think Apple would price this thing 100 dollars more just to make the old one look cheaper lol.
The old model is now $100 across all models...
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:58 PM   #30
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
What are you smoking? There are more iPad models at various prices, outpricing the competitors. The Tab is a joke. Xoom is too expensive compared to the comparable iPad (especially when you factor in the lack of apps).

So, let me see you be productive on your Xoom:

Pages
Numbers
Keynote
iMovie
Photogene
Infinity Blade
Massive selection of games available.

I guess you can't. That's why you are busy doing nonsense like rooting and overclocking to give you something to do on it.
So clueless. Move along, you're out of your league here.