Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Jan 4, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Intel Intel's Core i3 and i5 Dual-Core Processors Reviewed @ The Tech Report

Intel's Nehalem microarchitecture has gone entirely mainstream with the arrival of the dual-core processors code-named Clarkdale.

I imagine an enormous trebuchet, loaded up to the max, ready to begin its slowly accelerating rotation. Intel tells us it plans to "launch" a whole host of new products today, including 17 new CPUs, seven 5-series chipsets, and next-gen Wi-Fi and WiMax network adapters. These products, presumably, are being launched at consumers, so you might want to duck.

Those numbers are correct, of course, but devoid of context, they may seem a little overly dramatic. At the heart of all of these product introductions is a core set of technologies, based on the microprocessor known as Clarkdale, and those technologies have been spun into a range of products for different markets. This explosion of new processors and chipsets marks the final major step in the march of the microprocessor architecture known as Nehalem across Intel's core desktop and mobile lineups. If you've been paying attention, you'll know that's likely a very good thing, since earlier Core i5 and i7 processors have been excellent in most ways that matter, including performance, power efficiency, and—starting with the introduction of the Lynnfield chips this past fall—value.

Over the 'dale and through the 'field, to grandmother's house... Wait, what?
From the beginning, the watchword for Nehalem-derived processors has been integration. The first Bloomfield chips brought the memory controller onto the CPU, and the Lynnfield follow-up integrated PCI Express connectivity, as well. Each of those steps has paid dividends in terms of performance, power consumption, and package size. Now, Clarkdale brings graphics into the same package, as part of an unorthodox two-chip solution.

Source: The Tech Report
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 06:27 PM   #2
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

The integrated graphics unit now has 12 unified shaders! Way to go Intel!
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:41 AM   #3
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
The integrated graphics unit now has 12 unified shaders! Way to go Intel!
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:54 AM   #4
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

I just noticed the memory controller is on the gpu MCM and not the CPU. Amazingly Intel designed it so the CPU has to access memory through the GPU! Why would they do this?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Quote:
I just noticed the memory controller is on the gpu MCM and not the CPU. Amazingly Intel designed it so the CPU has to access memory through the GPU! Why would they do this?
It beats me. It does not sound very efficient, does it? Perhaps they want to save die space?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 04:13 PM   #6
jlpktnst
Radeon R520

jlpktnst is still being judged by the masses

Heck, I though we'd see something useful. But it still seems AMD is a better price/performance choice for 99% people. Even gamers... Intel is just priced too high. Lucky that, since otherwise we wouldn't have any competition.

Amd is dead high-end though. But with this, I am not impressed. Rather take X2 or X3 + some onboard ATI/nvidia graphics = cheaper HD movie system.
jlpktnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 04:33 PM   #7
DaNdo
Radeon Southern Islands

DaNdo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
because if it was rational it wouldn't be intel.
DaNdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 05:47 PM   #8
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
A quote from Francois Piednoel

Quote:
Let's explain the choice:

The mem controler is on the GFX side because the GFX parts need more Bandwitdh for texture sampling than the processor core need.
You all remember that I was saying that Desktop application do not use a lot of Bandwitdh, it is still true.
Placing the Mem controler is what gives you the best performance for the $s.
In the case of gaming, it does give a nice balance to the GFX part, allowing more texture sampling speed, with less latency too.

Thinks are more complicated than it seems from the outside world. With DDRIII attached, you get some serious boost.
Balancing the memory need of the platform is what matters.

If you overclock the memory sub system, you will figure out that this new IGP is faster than most low end graphic cards. Try and see
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Very interesting. Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 05:43 PM   #10
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
Very interesting. Thanks.
Sounds like a good idea for your average pc or even htpc but a bit of a failure for a gaming rig. I was very disappointed with clock for clock performance against Core 2 in gaming and most other desktop apps for that matter. My P45 with four occupied dimms (DDR2 at that) comes close in sheer bandwith (15% on average) in most of the benchs that I have seen with lower latency in every bench that I have seen.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote