Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:50 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
kilmas
Radeon R600

kilmas is still being judged by the masses

Question games with dual core support in 2006?

i shall upgrade my pc this fall,with a intel e6600 and new motherboard and 2 gb ram.will there be games this fall of 2006 that take full advance of my new e6600?.
all the aaa games that use dual core support has been delayd 2007.

most of the pc that is sold today has dual core cpu,it is time that more games use the extra cpu.next year we will see quad core cpu,so we need more games with multi core support.
Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2 2gb
Maxtor MaXLine III 250GB SATA 16MB 7200RPM NCQ
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM NCQ
kilmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

However, there is an advantage to be had even with games that do not support dual core. For example, on my dual core machine, I was able to use DVD-Shrink to decrypt and compress a movie on one core, without losing a single frame in Painkiller, which was running on the other core.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:54 AM   #3
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn
However, there is an advantage to be had even with games that do not support dual core. For example, on my dual core machine, I was able to use DVD-Shrink to decrypt and compress a movie on one core, without losing a single frame in Painkiller, which was running on the other core.
Good point.

You'd see a performance improvement doing that in a Core2 rig compared to having your current rig fully dedicated to a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:41 AM   #4
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

KingRoLo is still being judged by the masses

IMO all you cheapass single corer's are holding us back, get with the program and upgrade so that the industry can move forward. It's inevitable anyway just invest.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Ghost_™
Exit 2006, Novi Sad

Ghost_™ is still being judged by the masses

Whats the point of having a game run on 2 cores ?? If it runs just fine on 1 ?\
I mean if it ran on both cores, then you wouldn't be free to run fraps or DVD shrink or any other program on the second core as it would lag up the game which is hogging both of them.

Last edited by Ghost_™ : Jul 18, 2006 at 01:34 PM.
Ghost_™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:34 PM   #6
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_™
Whats the point of having a game run on 2 cores ?? If it runs just fine on 1 ?
A game that has built-in support for dual-core functionality will run more smoothly on a dual-core system, allowing the user to enable more CPU-centric enhancements.

Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Multi core game support has been pretty crappy. Till I see more games come out that make good use of it, I'll be keeping my cheaper single core cpu.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:54 PM   #8
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy
Multi core game support has been pretty crappy. Till I see more games come out that make good use of it, I'll be keeping my cheaper single core cpu.
Going by that logic the world would never progress.

It would be like people who 100+ years ago who saw the first cars said "screw those cars, till i see more people using them i'll be keeping my hose".

, market is driven by the consumer, if everyone had dual core cpu's we'd have dual core games.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:14 PM   #9
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Baron
... It would be like people who 100+ years ago who saw the first cars said "screw those cars, till i see more people using them i'll be keeping my hose"....
People who screw cars too often may soon find their hoses damaged.

Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:06 PM   #10
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

, market is driven by the consumer, if everyone had dual core cpu's we'd have dual core games.
What's the cool tech called again....something like 'Anti-hyperthread' processor where 2 or more cores together act as one, that's what I'm looking forward to.

Wonder why they don't come out with this sooner? Would help ALL aps and games now instead of this dual cores stuff that's not nearly as helpful.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:04 PM   #11
Drvonpow
Radeon R420

Drvonpow is still being judged by the masses

I built a PIII dual core 1gz PC for my first bigtime gaming PC in about 99-2001 I had a GeForce 2!! Somthing like that I was always upset that no games supported SMP

Since that time i only build single core game PCs so its my fault.
Drvonpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:17 PM   #12
felikx
Rage3D Veteran

felikx is still being judged by the masses

Multiple Cores won't really be supported fully in games till probably 2009. Give it up.
Vive, MFG Crosswinds, Warthog
felikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:22 PM   #13
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yep, I'm going dual core this fall, closer to Xmas.

I'm thinking of my favorite game playing while iTunes in the back ground making my own gaming soundtracks. That's right...oh ya, oh ya.

The only problem is X-fi having their damn "modes".
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 07:02 PM   #14
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Unqaulified analysis here, but no more unqualified than the statements the rest of you are making:

Market adoption of dual-core processors have very little to do with whether or not developers are making multi-threaded games. Programming a modern game is already one of the most demanding, most complex fields of programming out there. Making a multi-threaded program with any kind of complexity is difficult on it's own. Making a multi-threaded game is one hell of a task.

There's only so much in a game that can be parallelized. Games are very sequential by nature, everything is cause and effect. Even things that are seemingly independant, such as AI entities, are all interrelated to one another, the environment, and the player. The amount of overhead for the interprocess communication may well kill any advantage of something like that running in a separate thread. As a result of this complexity the multi-threaded games that we've seen are only running sort of background services in a separate thread. Texture managers, resource loaders, that kind of thing.

I don't predict any massive changes to how much games take advantage of multi-cores any time in the near future regardless of how saturated the market becomes. This is why all that "reverse hyperthreading" business, if it's actually possible, is so important.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 07:04 PM   #15
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

I'm pretty sure the Quake3 and the Doom3 engine support SMP don't they?

*edit*
With alittle seaching I have found that Age of Empires3,Quake4 and Call of Duty2 support dual core's. However Quake4 and Call of Duty2 both require being patched up to support it, as they don't support it out of the box.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited by Trunks0 : Jul 18, 2006 at 08:58 PM.
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:41 PM   #16
DaMack
Radeon Evergreen

DaMack is still being judged by the masses

By the time they support dual core in games we'll have 32 core CPU's.
DaMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:48 PM   #17
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0
I'm pretty sure the Quake3 and the Doom3 engine support SMP don't they?

*edit*
With alittle seaching I have found that Age of Empires3,Quake4 and Call of Duty2 support dual core's. However Quake4 and Call of Duty2 both require being patched up to support it, as they don't support it out of the box.
Yup those are all multi-threaded games. Oblivion is as well. However, like I said above the stuff they're doing in separate threads is pretty minimal. Mostly resource management like loading new textures and sound. All the major mechanics of the game are still in a single thread. This is why, at best, those games are only about 5 fps faster on a dual core as compared to a single core of the same speed.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:38 AM   #18
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedroid
Yup those are all multi-threaded games. Oblivion is as well. However, like I said above the stuff they're doing in separate threads is pretty minimal. Mostly resource management like loading new textures and sound. All the major mechanics of the game are still in a single thread. This is why, at best, those games are only about 5 fps faster on a dual core as compared to a single core of the same speed.
Its sad really, but I geuss its kind of early for games to be really taking advantage of it. Then agian the whole idea might have caught on better had duel CPU's not taken a stupid turn there at one point imho(well at least from my limited perspective)

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited by Trunks0 : Jul 19, 2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:45 AM   #19
Arrowhead
to the knee.

Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

dual core seems to be all the rave right now, but until I see some real benefits for a pure gaming environment, I don't think I'll be picking one up in the near future.

besides, I just got a sweet deal on a $155CDN 3700+ san diego which has allowed me to have more money left over to buy a more powerful graphics card(7900GT instead of the 7600gt I was initially eyeballing). I figure I'll be fine with gaming for atleast another year.
Arrowhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:58 AM   #20
Hawkw1nd
Radeon R100

Hawkw1nd is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Going by that logic the world would never progress.

It would be like people who 100+ years ago who saw the first cars said "screw those cars, till i see more people using them i'll be keeping my hose".

So you are saying that people should upgrade to dual-core even if they are satisfied with their single core CPUs simply in the hope that game companies produce s/w that will take advantage of their new h/w?

If you want to be "ahead of the curve", so to speak, then do so by all means, but there's no need to characterise those ppl who can't (or simply don't want to) upgrade as Luddites who are holding the technologically enlightened elites back .

With the release of Core 2 Duo CPUs and the imminent price cuts to AMD parts, we will probably see a lot more ppl boarding the dual-core express, but it will be because they find it makes sense financially, not because they feel some sort of imperative to advance technology's horizons...
Hawkw1nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:54 AM   #21
Dizoja86
Buried above ground

Dizoja86 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
dual core seems to be all the rave right now, but until I see some real benefits for a pure gaming environment, I don't think I'll be picking one up in the near future.

besides, I just got a sweet deal on a $155CDN 3700+ san diego which has allowed me to have more money left over to buy a more powerful graphics card(7900GT instead of the 7600gt I was initially eyeballing). I figure I'll be fine with gaming for atleast another year.
Stop being logical you cheapskate
Dizoja86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:35 AM   #22
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

Quote:
Quake 4 got gains of up to 69% with just a mere Patch. Plus i think obviously it depends on the game. But you also forget things like physics and the havok engine which will give developers tools to help them utilise the 2nd core more efficiently.

But anyway, Dual core is inevitable. All CPU manufacturers will be phasing out Single core sooner or later and that is a fact. And from what i gather the sooner the better.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:38 AM   #23
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkw1nd
So you are saying that people should upgrade to dual-core even if they are satisfied with their single core CPUs simply in the hope that game companies produce s/w that will take advantage of their new h/w?

If you want to be "ahead of the curve", so to speak, then do so by all means, but there's no need to characterise those ppl who can't (or simply don't want to) upgrade as Luddites who are holding the technologically enlightened elites back .

With the release of Core 2 Duo CPUs and the imminent price cuts to AMD parts, we will probably see a lot more ppl boarding the dual-core express, but it will be because they find it makes sense financially, not because they feel some sort of imperative to advance technology's horizons...
Your going to have to anyway sooner or later. Single cores will be phased out eventually and you will be stuck in the mud. So whether you want to wait or not is entirely up to you not that anyone cares its just that people who decide to wait arent doing themselves or the industry any favours thats all.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:21 PM   #24
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRoLo
Your going to have to anyway sooner or later. Single cores will be phased out eventually and you will be stuck in the mud. So whether you want to wait or not is entirely up to you not that anyone cares its just that people who decide to wait arent doing themselves or the industry any favours thats all.
Not really. Currently single core and multi-core CPU's share the same socket so there is little worry of being screwed if you didn't go multi-core sooner. Personally I went multi-core so I could let stuff run in the background without effect gaming performance too much

System:
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:44 PM   #25
DaMack
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Crysis to Take Advantage of 4x4

“With Crysis, our flagship title, we are pushing the boundaries of game-physics, intelligent combat AI and cinematic visuals. Crysis will be an experience culminated in next-generation hardware when utilized with a multi-core system like AMD’s highly anticipated 4x4 enthusiast platform,” said Cevat Yerli, president and chief executive of Crytek, the developer of the popular Far Cry game.

AMD stressed that multi-threaded games are among the first applications to see immediate advantages from using multi-socket, multi-threaded architectures like the upcoming 4x4 enthusiast platform. However, the chipmaker also positions its AMD 4x4 platform as a solution for high-performance workstations, for instance, for those used to edit videos.

“AMD’s combination of HyperTransport™ technology and an integrated memory controller gives us the bandwidth we need to see impressive performance scaling on multi-core systems. Because of Direct Connect Architecture, an AMD 4-core, multi-socket solution should help Sony Vegas 6 users edit high definition video with unparalleled responsiveness and use effects that would have been unthinkable on earlier hardware,” said Curtis Palmer, senior vice president, chief technologist, Sony Media Software.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...626004842.html

Seems like the guys behind crisis are ready to support multiple cores.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 03:39 PM   #26
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

I found a short list of dual core enabled games listed in this article here

For those to lazy to click the link
Quote:
According to Intel, there are several titles that do benefit from dual-core microprocessors, including such popular games as Call of Duty 2, City of Villains, F.E.A.R., World of Warcraft, Age of Empires III, Black & White 2, Peter Jackson’s King Kong, The Movies, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2: Special Forces, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced, Warfighter, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six 3, Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland.

System:
Old Jul 19, 2006, 04:43 PM   #27
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMack
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...626004842.html

Seems like the guys behind crisis are ready to support multiple cores.
Yes, but unfortunately I think Crytek are somewhat easily "bought" so to speak. There's was plenty of pre-release rhetoric about how FarCry was going to get huge advantages from 64 bit processors and of course we all know how that turned out.

If any developer is up to the task of writing a complex multi-threaded engine it's Crytek, but again I've got to be a bit skeptical because there's only so much you can parallelize in a game.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 06:05 PM   #28
DaMack
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Yes, but unfortunately I think Crytek are somewhat easily "bought" so to speak. There's was plenty of pre-release rhetoric about how FarCry was going to get huge advantages from 64 bit processors and of course we all know how that turned out.

If any developer is up to the task of writing a complex multi-threaded engine it's Crytek, but again I've got to be a bit skeptical because there's only so much you can parallelize in a game.
I think it's 50/50 either way so the prospects are certainly exciting IMO.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:30 PM   #29
p0werful1
Radeon R200

p0werful1 is still being judged by the masses

Just wonder: if the 2nd core of cpu can just be made use of for things like phsics in game on software level, why would they sell us AGEIA PhysX card?
p0werful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 01:42 AM   #30
Mmm_Beefy
Radeon Southern Islands

Mmm_Beefy is still being judged by the masses

cheapest price on newegg (where i do most of my shopping) is $300 for the cheapest dual core AMD...
my current mobo, chip and ram totalled me out at $211 and with the $30 mail in rebate $181, which left me more than enough to buy my video card, my burner, and a case.

if i wasnt saving for a wedding.. sure i'd have a dual core system.. but at the moment, i like sleeping next to my girl at nights
maybe summer of next year sometime... maybe.

cheers
wow alow bunch of nood who dont know what the **** they talking about 1 you need to sleep atlist 8:30 hours and who the **** drinks Neutrament for break fast ? its only for help to recovery protein will not gona make you get big protein jast help you recover you muscle and you need to eat breakfast then after 2 hours drink 40 g of protein in 2 hours eat lunch then agen in 2 hours eat some frots whit yugurs or milk go to gym before work out drink some creatine i can even sogest you TRACK is the best in marke after work out rush home emedatle drink 40 grams of protein shake whit fruts bannans and some apples and strobery or some fruets that you like and then after 40 minuts eat dinner that is my single day work out and food that i eat write now iam 210 pounds 23% fat my bench is 300 for 3rep max my deadleaft is 470 punds for 4 reps max my shuads is top 28o for 8 reps

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
4x1gig Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro
4Gigs 2x1 Crucial Ballistix 2x1gig Corsair Valuselect
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
Monsoon MM-700 2.1 speakers (old but man do they rock)
WinXP sp2

Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom.
Fold for Rage... and women will find you sexy
Mmm_Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote