Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Mar 16, 2019, 04:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Need advice for an air purifier and a compressed air blower(?)

We have a cat and my father has developed an allergy where he has to take an inhaler because he coughs often and can't breathe very easily (something like asthma). Whenever he leaves the country for some period of time, he tells us that the coughing goes away and breathing gets so much easier. We don't want to get rid of our cat so I thought we should get an air purifier for the bedroom. Any recommendations? I've read that they help quite a bit when it comes to this kind of stuff. However, considering we live outside the US, we might not have all the options available here. We looked at some options and came to this one: https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/blueair-c...45-23798360/i/

Is that any good? Seems to be a good brand for air purifiers. By the way, do we need a pet-specific air purifier or do they all pretty much do the same job?

As for the compressed air blower, I feel like I am wasting money by buying cans of compressed air to clean my PC. Any recommendations for a blower that is good for cleaning/dusting PCs?
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2019, 05:05 PM   #2
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Not sure about the air filter, getting a HEPA filter is important, but beyond that it's about build quality and fan noise. Also worth noting that replacing the furnace/ac system's filter with a HEPA goes a long way, as does just keeping the cat out of the spots your father directly contacts. We had a rabbit who ran around in the downstairs, when I got allergic I would get effects quickly sitting on the floor, much more slowly sitting on the couch in the room, and only minimally in other parts of the house.

For the compressor, look into ones designed for airbrushing. Usually lower power, lower noise, and electric, but if you can get to 30-40psi on the output, you can get plenty of power to dust electronics. If you get an airbrush head you also have propellant to buy liquid spray paint (effectively), and you can apply isopropyl alcohol and some other cleaners this way too.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64

HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2019, 01:52 AM   #3
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but If you are keeping your cat, you will need much more than a simple in room air cleaner/purifier. This will affect not only your father's physical health, but also his mental health. Anyone who has asthma, especially when triggered by specific things, knows how dehabilitating it feels to have that trigger waiting for you right outside your door. If you want to know what he is probably dealing with, take one of those small drinking straws that are about 4mm in diameter, and breathe through it. Now imagine that if you want to leave your bedroom, you get the straw. I would sit down and have a talk with your father, and have him describe in detail how sensitive his allergies are and how intense the symptoms become. Also keep in mind that inhalers are a temporary relief. It does nothing against the dander that irritates his lungs.

I suggest at the very minimum having the air in every room continuously cleaned. This means if you have a regular HVAC with the square filters, buy the highest filtering ones you can, run air circulation 24/7, and change the filter at least once a month. If you have baseboard heating, then an air cleaner in every... single... room. Then come to terms that this is just a band-aid. Depending on his sensitivity, no matter how much you clean the air or the house (fyi anything your cat touches or comes near is considered contaminated), and you are simply buying time for the severity of his symptoms.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad