Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ComradeKin

ComradeKin is still being judged by the masses

Default Radeon X1950 Pro AGP vs. X1950 XTX PCI

I know that AGP is faster than PCI and all, but should one choose an Radeon X1950 Pro that is AGP over an X1950 XTX that is PCI? Is there really that big of a performance gap?
ComradeKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

X1950XTX is pci express, not pci. PCI express is much faster than AGP, but AGP can still hold its own when it comes to the x1950pro. See the performance gap between x1950xtx and pro for yourself here I would say it's a pretty significant gap.

What is the rest of your system, it may be better to hold off on the x1950pro agp and upgrade everything later on if the rest of your system is going to hold it back a lot.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 01:16 AM   #3
BCC335

BCC335 is still being judged by the masses

Default Heres one for the AGP folks :)

This one from Gecube looks interesting and I believe they claim it will meet or exceed the 1950xtx pci-e version.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=6648&cid=6

Nvidia has also announced a dx10 agp version of their new card as well.
BCC335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

Who the heck said AGP was faster than PCIe? Whoever said that is on crack. The only major difference is the amount power the slot provides and the bandwidth.

WAit wait wait... You said PCI. The new (sort of) vid card standard is PCI Express or PCIe. Hope that clears things up for you.

Anyway.......the difference between the same card on AGP vs PCIe is negligable. With the addition of the X1950pro series, AGPs 8X bandwidth is just now being maxed out. Same cards different interface, generally the same speeds.
Jas420221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Comzee
User 1023707

Comzee is still being judged by the masses

AMD

Just get PCIe. It's better in the long run if you want to use crossfire.

Quote:
Mine PC ||Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r||i7 [email protected]||ddr3 8gb 1600mhz||BFG 285gtx OC||(x2) Western Digital RE4 2tb||Samsung 540MB/s SSD||Corsair [email protected]||Air Cooling Baby||
Comzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 01:38 PM   #6
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftAMDUser View Post
Who the heck said AGP was faster than PCIe? Whoever said that is on crack. The only major difference is the amount power the slot provides and the bandwidth.
NO ONE! Which is precisely why the above is POINTLESS!

Quote:
Anyway.......the difference between the same card on AGP vs PCIe is negligable. With the addition of the X1950pro series, AGPs 8X bandwidth is just now being maxed out. Same cards different interface, generally the same speeds.
Here's the problem with your defense of a platform which is basically on life support (gets a bone thrown its way every so often in the form of an X1950 Pro).
1) much smaller selection of cards
2) higher price for the same performance
3) high-end cards not released for this platform
4) multi-GPU rendering not an option

This whole AGP vs. PCI-e thing has nothing to do with PCI-e being technically faster than AGP. It's about the reality of the market (which I've just described in numbered fashion).

I don't like recommending AGP X1950 Pros when one can have a PCI-e X1950 XT for $50 *LESS*.

Anyway, ComradeKin, don't sink any more money into a dead platform. If that means you need to save up to get a new mobo then do yourself a favor and do it.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Jas420221
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
NO ONE! Which is precisely why the above is POINTLESS!

Here's the problem with your defense of a platform which is basically on life support (gets a bone thrown its way every so often in the form of an X1950 Pro).
1) much smaller selection of cards
2) higher price for the same performance
3) high-end cards not released for this platform
4) multi-GPU rendering not an option

This whole AGP vs. PCI-e thing has nothing to do with PCI-e being technically faster than AGP. It's about the reality of the market (which I've just described in numbered fashion).

I don't like recommending AGP X1950 Pros when one can have a PCI-e X1950 XT for $50 *LESS*.

Anyway, ComradeKin, don't sink any more money into a dead platform. If that means you need to save up to get a new mobo then do yourself a favor and do it.
A couple of things for you Sailent sir....

1. Read the first post. I quoted it for you to help you out. Since its quite obvious to you Im sure, that they dont make X1950s in PCI (not pcie) I think its fairly safe to assume that he meant PCIe, therefre making my statement valid. Next, you can see I caught that information by my next 'paragraph' below it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeKin View Post
I know that AGP is faster than PCI and all, but should one choose an Radeon X1950 Pro that is AGP over an X1950 XTX that is PCI? Is there really that big of a performance gap?
Now continuing on...... I wasnt defending the platform I was answering the question at hand!!! Your arguments are most certainly valid Shaid, BUT I NEVER EVEN INFERRED I was defendign the platform I just answered the question about the difference between AGP and PCIe speeds!! Come on, work with me! Was it really that hard to see?

Im curious as to some of your thought processes (all of you in this thread). You people have NO IDEA what this guy even has (1 person asked). Regardless, what if he cant AFFORD to upgrade to a C2d or AM2 or even 939 platform right now? This is the BEST option available for him at a marginal cost! If he goes 939 even, he would have to get a PCI card, mobo, and GPU which would most certainly eclipse the meager cost of a 7800gs or X1950pro. THINK PEOPLE!

I upgraded to X1950pro b/c I am getting a load of money in the fall for a compelte K8L upgrade and my X800pro wasnt cutting it anymore for current games.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 02:17 PM   #8
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
A couple of things for you Sailent sir....

1. Read the first post. I quoted it for you to help you out. Since its quite obvious to you Im sure, that they dont make X1950s in PCI (not pcie) I think its fairly safe to assume that he meant PCIe, therefre making my statement valid. Next, you can see I caught that information by my next 'paragraph' below it.

Now continuing on...... I wasnt defending the platform I was answering the question at hand!!! Your arguments are most certainly valid Shaid, BUT I NEVER EVEN INFERRED I was defendign the platform I just answered the question about the difference between AGP and PCIe speeds!! Come on, work with me! Was it really that hard to see?

Im curious as to some of your thought processes (all of you in this thread). You people have NO IDEA what this guy even has (1 person asked). Regardless, what if he cant AFFORD to upgrade to a C2d or AM2 or even 939 platform right now? This is the BEST option available for him at a marginal cost! If he goes 939 even, he would have to get a PCI card, mobo, and GPU which would most certainly eclipse the meager cost of a 7800gs or X1950pro. THINK PEOPLE!

I upgraded to X1950pro b/c I am getting a load of money in the fall for a compelte K8L upgrade and my X800pro wasnt cutting it anymore for current games.
Edit: I'm a jackass.

Last edited by ShaidarHaran : Feb 28, 2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Jas420221
Banned

Quote:
Not even going to read it, bro. Don't waste your time.
Judging from your original reply, you didnt read my first post either. Your ignorance preceeds you, good job.

I dont give a **** how many posts you have, you should at least consider what other people write! Especially since you cant even comprehend what the post even was in the first place.

You got a lot of knowledge but your e-cock just gets in your way. What a shame.

EDIT: I would suggest not even trying to report this post (though its probably too late as I saw in your profile you reporting a post). If any moderator sees what YOU have done, such as blatently disregarding the utter correctness of my post and dismissing it like child in denaial, posting off topic as nobody even asked about purchasing a X1950pro, they would clearly see my calling you ignorant and your e-cock getting in the way is simply the sad truth for that particular post.

Last edited by Jas420221 : Feb 28, 2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 02:28 PM   #10
PacAce
Radeon R700

PacAce can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPacAce can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I've been looking at cards for awhile and I would say the 16/48 of the XTX is the defining characteristic of the arguement. Go that way and you will have loads of graphics ability.
PacAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 02:34 PM   #11
Jas420221
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacAce View Post
I've been looking at cards for awhile and I would say the 16/48 of the XTX is the defining characteristic of the arguement. Go that way and you will have loads of graphics ability.
Exactly. more pipes, more shaders, higher clocks, w/ same memory bus (more often than not)=winner.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 02:54 PM   #12
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Judging from your original reply, you didnt read my first post either. Your ignorance preceeds you, good job.

I dont give a **** how many posts you have, you should at least consider what other people write! Especially since you cant even comprehend what the post even was in the first place.

You got a lot of knowledge but your e-cock just gets in your way. What a shame.
That was rude of me.

I went back and read your post.

I'm sorry for dismissing you off-handedly.

You did nothing wrong. You answered the OP's questions.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 03:03 PM   #13
Jas420221
Banned

Quote:
That was rude of me.

And my fault for insulting you. I shouldnt have done that either.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 03:05 PM   #14
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

So are we gonna have make-up manches now?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 03:07 PM   #15
EYE4LYFE
Radeon R600

EYE4LYFE can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEYE4LYFE can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
That was rude of me.

Quote:
And my fault for insulting you. I shouldnt have done that either.
EYE4LYFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 04:12 PM   #16
Jas420221
Banned

Quote:
So are we gonna have make-up manches now?
There will be no Brokeback Mountain action from me sir.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 04:19 PM   #17
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
There will be no Brokeback Mountain action from me sir.
You broke my heart! I retract my apology!

/end overly-gay drama sequence

Old Mar 1, 2007, 03:24 PM   #18
HonestJohn
More Brains

HonestJohn is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC335 View Post
This one from Gecube looks interesting and I believe they claim it will meet or exceed the 1950xtx pci-e version.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=6648&cid=6

Nvidia has also announced a dx10 agp version of their new card as well.
Regarding the Nvidia rumor from the Inquirer several days ago. There was a another News blurb from VR-Zone on the 28th stating that this information was bogus. But who knows, maybe this rumor about the other rumor is bogus as well.

PCI/AGP

Diamond Stealth 64
Matrox Mystique 3D
STB Velocity 128
Diamond Viper II Savage 2000
Diamond Viper V550
Creative Labs TNT2
Hercules Stingray 128 3D / 3DFX Voodoo Rush
Creative Labs Geforce 256
Hercules 3D Prophet (Geforce 3)
Creative Annihilator Geforce 2 GTS
PNY Geforce 3