Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

Default For the love of God, Jesus, Allah, Buddah and whoever else I may be missing!

Can ATI/AMD fix Vsync?! Setting Vsync to always on in CC does absolutely nothing, and if a game does not have Vsync options, then D3D overrider is the only solution.

This has pretty much been the case ever since Vista/Win7 I believe... worked fine back in XP days.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:20 AM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Turn it on in-game.

Which games don't have vsync that you're trying to override it with?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The option in CCC is still crap. Why dont they remove it or change it to "sometimes on"?

[/Troll]
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Och
ATI Champion

Not all games have Vsync feature.

For instance, Trackmania the Canyon doesn't and runs at like 450fps on my system, unless I force Vsync through Radeon Pro or D3D overrider.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
Not all games have Vsync feature.

For instance, Trackmania the Canyon doesn't and runs at like 450fps on my system, unless I force Vsync through Radeon Pro or D3D overrider.
Back when I had a ATi card I stopped using the control center when Radeon Pro came out. If the option is available in radeon pro, use that instead.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:24 PM   #6
Och
ATI Champion

I just don't like to use 3rd party apps.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:38 PM   #7
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

muzz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I just don't like to use 3rd party apps.
And you shouldn't HAVE to.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 02:04 AM   #8
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Can ATI/AMD fix Vsync?! Setting Vsync to always on in CC does absolutely nothing, and if a game does not have Vsync options, then D3D overrider is the only solution.

This has pretty much been the case ever since Vista/Win7 I believe... worked fine back in XP days.
Vsync has to be ATi/AMD bottom of the heap priority stashed in some storage container bound for Alaska as far back as I can remember. The CCC driver switch I take is a token to pacify us. Good thing I don't care about Vsync and normally turn it off in every game I play.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 03:51 AM   #9
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

*sigh* @ people in this thread.

Vsync was changed rather a lot when Vista & Win7 came out. Before then the OS desktop was not vsync'd so it was a lot easier to alter the vsync state for apps since you didn't have the desktop manager in the background screwing things up. Microsoft also said that they didn't want vsync to alter Aero so they made it more difficult too. Both RadeonPro and ATI Tray tools and other things like that use hacks which go against what is the the WDDM spec. Nvidia also do this so their drivers shouldn't be WHQL certified IMO.

Forcing Vsync on or off globally can bugger things up for quite a few apps which is why AMD did not go the same route as Nvidia and ignore the WDDM spec & Microsoft guidelines. Now that there will be app specific profiles there should be no reason to not allow it to be forced on or off for a particular app so I have asked AMD to take another look at it which hopefully they will do.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 04:42 AM   #10
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
*sigh* @ people in this thread.

Vsync was changed rather a lot when Vista & Win7 came out. Before then the OS desktop was not vsync'd so it was a lot easier to alter the vsync state for apps since you didn't have the desktop manager in the background screwing things up. Microsoft also said that they didn't want vsync to alter Aero so they made it more difficult too. Both RadeonPro and ATI Tray tools and other things like that use hacks which go against what is the the WDDM spec. Nvidia also do this so their drivers shouldn't be WHQL certified IMO.

Forcing Vsync on or off globally can bugger things up for quite a few apps which is why AMD did not go the same route as Nvidia and ignore the WDDM spec & Microsoft guidelines. Now that there will be app specific profiles there should be no reason to not allow it to be forced on or off for a particular app so I have asked AMD to take another look at it which hopefully they will do.
Thanks for asking. Sounds like the switch in CCC should be removed if it doesn't do anything or rarely does anything. hmmm maybe the off overides game Vsync settings and is still applicable.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:27 AM   #11
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

That slider does work for apps that are coded properly for Vista & Win7 and for OpenGL stuff.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:30 PM   #12
kn00tcn
zero-zero

kn00tcn is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
incorrect, just like the previous trackmania, you go to the advanced settings of the launcher & it has a checkbox

what i'm wondering is, how does d3doverrider work, injects into the game exe? ignores dwm.exe/explorer.exe & stuff? same as fraps or bandicam/dxtory's fps limiter?
OpenGL startup crash fix #1 / fix #2 (for < radeon 6000 cards?)
better crossfire for Section8 Prejudice, Hydrophobia, UDK
kn00tcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:42 AM   #13
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Turn it on in-game.

Which games don't have vsync that you're trying to override it with?
Skyrim
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM View Post
Skyrim
Skyrim isn't a game

It's life
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote