Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old May 23, 2020, 11:42 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Gay play them then
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020, 09:50 AM   #62
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuku2 View Post
I'm worried if mine goes tits up.
For some unknown reason I just haven't played many of the games I have for it and might want to in the future.

I have about 54 physical games (not including box sets) and some digital downloads.
Before the world went crazy and I was hitting up thrift stores every week I was seeing PS3's all the time for like $20. I would regularly pick them up and flip them on Ebay for like $75.

If things ever go back to normal I don't see why it would be hard to find a replacement PS3 for cheap. Right now I have like 3 of them stashed in my closet for the future.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020, 08:19 AM   #63
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Anyone know enough about this that they can lay it out for me on why all the news sites are making such a big deal about the SSD's? Every single one of them are boasting about the "zero load times". PC's have had SSD's for a very long time now, and they are far from zero load times.

I realize the consoles could be different in their own architecture (even though they are mostly PC parts now anyway), but I'm not sure where this is coming from or what else is involved.

Is it really going to be this game changing, or are they just laying it on thick here and feeding the hype?

The PS5's SSD shouldn't be underestimated, says Mortal Kombat creator
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 26, 2020, 09:56 AM   #64
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Anyone know enough about this that they can lay it out for me on why all the news sites are making such a big deal about the SSD's? Every single one of them are boasting about the "zero load times". PC's have had SSD's for a very long time now, and they are far from zero load times.

I realize the consoles could be different in their own architecture (even though they are mostly PC parts now anyway), but I'm not sure where this is coming from or what else is involved.

Is it really going to be this game changing, or are they just laying it on thick here and feeding the hype?

Turns out even last gen PC SSD's can run the UE5 demo better than the PS5's new tech.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/un...-pc-nvidia-rtx

https://www.pcgamer.com/unreal-engin...c-performance/

Should also be noted there are also tons of existing Quixel megascan UE4 demos that uses full fidelity assets, which desktops PC's run at 60fps. If that is what the PS5 UE5 demo was supposed to showcase, it didn't show anything the PC couldn't already do even on the older (but still current) UE4 engine.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:47 AM   #65
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
  1. The PS5 ssd is supposed to be significantly faster than any ssd available on the market now.

2. Sony has included a bunch of additional optimizations to the data streaming pipeline... apparently to allow graphics info (like textures) to be streamed straight from the ssd into vram, which can theoretically be used to stream textures from ssd storage in real time. Basically they can tune whatever you're looking at to utilize all of the vram, instead of wasting memory on stuff that's behind you.

In reality, many devs won't fully utilize this for several years to come (if ever), and xbox will be able to do much of the same, as the PS5 ssd is not all that much faster than xbox's.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020, 11:23 AM   #66
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

I wouldn't say the PS5 SSD in particular, but the fact that consoles are using SSD in particular is a lot better because game design is limited by how fast you can load assets to RAM/VRAM, so if you want high quality assets, especially ones that are better than PS4/xbox one then you're going to need a drive that can load them fast enough.

Also you will be able to use more varied assets, games loading in seconds because games will be designed around SSD loading.

Games wont have to use "tricks" to high loading either.

It's not that the PS5 SSD is special, sure it's fast it's just with a semi decent CPU and a SSD drive, games will be much better for us on PC as well. Game design isn't limited by ancient hardware this time.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2020, 02:36 AM   #67
Ravens Nest
R380

Ravens Nest once held a door open for a complete strangerRavens Nest once held a door open for a complete strangerRavens Nest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Turns out even last gen PC SSD's can run the UE5 demo better than the PS5's new tech.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/un...-pc-nvidia-rtx

https://www.pcgamer.com/unreal-engin...c-performance/

Should also be noted there are also tons of existing Quixel megascan UE4 demos that uses full fidelity assets, which desktops PC's run at 60fps. If that is what the PS5 UE5 demo was supposed to showcase, it didn't show anything the PC couldn't already do even on the older (but still current) UE4 engine.
What made me laugh about that you'll need at least a 2070 to run that demo well then when you look at the bottom of the article it shows you 2070's available for £559 so i'd have to get at least a 2070, Ryzen 3, a Nvme SSD, 16gb DDR4 and all the rest to get anywhere near that! Whats that over a grand to get to near that performance.

The PS5 is probably going to retail for £499 cant see them selling it for higher than that I know what I will probably be buying.

The only thing that sways me away from that is my massive PC game collection, and the RRP for console games.

Last edited by Ravens Nest : May 28, 2020 at 03:10 AM.
Ravens Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2020, 04:50 AM   #68
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
The PS5 ssd is supposed to be significantly faster than any ssd available on the market now.
I thought the PS5 SSD was supposed to be something like this.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/memory-st...d/MZ-V7P512BW/

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-970-NV...0659388&sr=8-1
Old May 28, 2020, 10:10 AM   #69
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuku2 View Post
Not sure. Sony claims that they'll have 9gb/s compressed data throughput, compared to that samsung drive's 3.5gb/s throughput (probably not compressed). Not sure how to frame that into an apples-to-apples comparison. For reference, xbox series x is supposed to have 4.8gb/s compressed throughput.

Cerny said that there were no SSDs of that speed available at the time he was speaking about it a couple months back, but that he expected that some would probably hit the market before PS5 launches later in the year.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old May 28, 2020, 10:17 AM   #70
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

There are SSD's of that speed already available, or at least pretty damn close.

Take this Corsair MP600 for example which has been available since July/August last year: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-force...82E16820236548

Sequential read of up to 4950MB/s. These are uncompressed speeds.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead

Last edited by DeathKnight : May 28, 2020 at 10:31 AM.
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2020, 02:59 PM   #71
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

SD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
There are SSD's of that speed already available, or at least pretty damn close.

Take this Corsair MP600 for example which has been available since July/August last year: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-force...82E16820236548

Sequential read of up to 4950MB/s. These are uncompressed speeds.
That won't factor into game development for PC for many years. Developers cannot take advantage of this disk speed when building for the PC since so few systems will have this capability. While developers for PS5 can optimize directly for the exact throughput supported by the PS5. This is what could be groundbreaking about this new generation of consoles.
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2020, 04:29 PM   #72
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
That won't factor into game development for PC for many years. Developers cannot take advantage of this disk speed when building for the PC since so few systems will have this capability. While developers for PS5 can optimize directly for the exact throughput supported by the PS5. This is what could be groundbreaking about this new generation of consoles.
Devs can also optimize for xbox series x, just targeting a slower transfer rate. Both are fast, and both are known quantities. Both are a whole different world than PC gaming.

Eventually some PC game will require an SSD. I remember when Quake3 yanked the bandaid off for graphics cards... sure it hurts at first, but it makes things better for the whole industry.

What we really need is a system where we can store games on large/cheap harddrives, but then cache a few games that you're currently playing on an ssd... dynamically transferring games between the two drives as needed. Both the nextgen consoles pretty much do that anyway, if you plug in a USB 3.0 drive for mass storage. SSDs are cheap enough to start requiring them (which is why consoles are adopting them), but still prohibitively expensive for mass storage.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM   #73
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Sony has told PlayStation 4 game developers that any new titles submitted for certification must also be compatible with PlayStation 5, beginning 13th July.

This means all PS4 games received by Sony for testing after the middle of that month are technically forwards compatible - playable on Sony's next-gen console - though it is up to each game's developer to ensure this is the case.

Sony has told developers it will contact them individually with details on how to test PS5 compatibility, in the order of their various projects' release.

If a game was originally submitted to Sony before 13th July 2020, any new patch or remaster after that date would not require PS5 compatibility, but it would be "strongly recommended".

If a game was originally submitted to Sony after 13th July 2020, any future patch or remaster to that game would need to keep PS5 compatibility. Once a game is PS5 compatible, it must stay so.
Sony being sony I guess.

It's good it has some BC, but really it should be all. This isn't like some alien hardware like Cell, or emotion engine or whatever. This is PC Centric hardware.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote