Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Jan 18, 2001, 01:17 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nic Colt
Radeon R200

Nic Colt is still being judged by the masses

Has ANYONE ever got a reply or any info as to why ATi is not supporting Video for Windows on the Radeon's????

Without support for VfW this is turning out to be a Video capture NIGHTMARE.

Nic
Nic Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2001, 07:54 AM   #2
rmryan

rmryan is still being judged by the masses

I got this response from ATI:
Dear ATI Customer,

Thank you for contacting ATI Technical Support Canada. From reading your email, we have determined that this issue relates to the current version of NetMeeting.

Currently, version 3.x of NetMeeting uses 'Video for Windows', as opposed to the use of 'DirectShow' for Multimedia Center 7 for Windows 9x/ME/2000. You will not be able to select a capture device for Radeon products or Rage Pro/128/128 Pro products under Windows 2000 at this time.

ATI Software Engineering has been notified and is investigating.

Regards,

rmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2001, 09:04 AM   #3
Bschuler
Radeon R300

Bschuler is still being judged by the masses

Personally, I don't care. I use tons of other software for video capture, etc. and could care less that it doesn't support microsoft's standards. Netmeeting I don't use, and Windows Media Encoder is nice, but I don't miss what parts of it I have lost. ATI has never supported VFW as far as I know. 99% of software supports the AIW, except of course Microsoft's crap. So actually, this isn't an ATI problem, it's a microsoft problem. Why doesn't microsoft software support non VFW?

Bschuler
Bschuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 18, 2001, 10:31 AM   #4
Nic Colt
Radeon R200

All previous AIW's from ATi supports VfW. Video for Windows is an industry standard. but Microsoft want a monopoly in the capture software market, MS wants to push their DirctShow and Dictate to hardware companies what software to use. When MS barks ATI listens they don't have the balls to go stand up against microsoft.

"this isn't an ATI problem"

My OS has VfW built-in that's what I have in my operating system. ATi lame brain thinking decided to not support the capture capabilities of my operating system. IT is an ATi problem but they are SREWING consumers and not telling them that they are not support VfW. It's time I return this lame card and start Telling everyone that the Radeon's does not have or want to include support for VfW.
Old Jan 18, 2001, 10:58 AM   #5
VaderX

VaderX is still being judged by the masses

Question Doesn't anyone care that Video For Windows is not supported and WHY ?

Well WMV files are super small.
Is there another way I can get my mpg1 files to be recognized by Windows Media Encoder? Or is there just a better format I could be using?
VaderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2001, 04:30 PM   #6
SDalai

SDalai is still being judged by the masses

Hi everybody,

here is ATI's statement about VfW:

A4: Due to restrictions placed on all graphics vendors by Microsoft®, the following features are not included on the Windows® Me CD.
[...]
- Support for Video for Windows® (VfW) video capture, needed for the TV feature of existing ALL-IN-WONDER® product family

(from the ATI's WinME FAQ)

This is also true for Win2000! There is a VfW to WDM emulation, but it seems to refuse work with some (or a lot) of today's software.
Because WinME and Win98 drivers are the same, you see there will be no VfW support in Win98.

@Nic Colt
VfW is not(!) an industry standart, it's a microsoft standard, introduced in the early 90's with windows 3.1x. They prefer their latest WDM drivers to be the new standard in the M$ world!

M$ seems to no longer support VfW. So what can we do? Buy as much M$ shares 'til we own 51% of them?

SDalai

P.S.: I'm using WinXXXX just for video an some games and LINUX for the rest!
SDalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2001, 04:06 AM   #7
Nic Colt
Radeon R200

Thanks for the info sdalai, so it basically boils down to this. Even though the Asus 7800 GForce 2 supports VfW but the Radeon's do not, Nice, and for me to be able to use netmeeting today and not in 8 months from now and even though I have an AIW-Radeon, I have to buy either an TV-Wonder or a HypergaugeTV or whatever it's called.

I looked in my archive box of useless hardware and found my $50 Lotitech (then Connectix) Quickclip usb that I purchased 3 years ago in order to use NetMeeting and CuSeeme. LMAO I have an (apparently) state of the art high tech AIW blunder capture card that I paid over $385Cdn, however for me to be able to use the most popular collaboration sharing software on the market today like NetMeeting, VDOphone and CuSeeme today, I have to use a 3 year old card that was then worth $50 a cheap POS capture card that I can't even get $5 for today.

Talk about an All in Wonder Blunder. Thanks M$ and Specially ATi for not having any balls.