Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Apr 2, 2019, 06:32 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Navi 7nm GPUs/Ryzen 3 announcments at Computex 2019?

10 am May 27th. That’s 3am in the UK, or 10pm EST / 7pm PST Stateside.

Lock it in!

Quote:
AMD has announced that its CEO, Dr. Lisa Su, will give the 2019 Computex keynote address. The company is expected to unveil its next-generation of high-end products at the event, with launch dates kicking off throughout the summer. According to the Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA), the topic of Lisa Su’s keynote will be “The Next Generation of High Performance Computing.”

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14160...9-lead-keynote

AMD better deliver
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:00 PM   #2
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

May 27th. They should be ready to talk some serious dirt about the new stuff buy then I hope.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 18.12.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F24 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 18.12.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2019, 02:23 PM   #3
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I look forward to seeing what they can pull off with Zen 2.

Navi...a few years ago I'd be interested, but since then I've moved out of the price bracket it's targeting.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 4, 2019, 06:17 AM   #4
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I look forward to seeing what they can pull off with Zen 2.

Navi...a few years ago I'd be interested, but since then I've moved out of the price bracket it's targeting.
Good thing about Navi is that the vast majority of gamers haven’t though. Halo products are nice, but they honestly just need a workhorse with good margins that is in the price range of most people.

Can’t wait to see what they’ve seemingly been hiding with their first view of only half of their “possible” chip equaling the 9900k at way less power. The Chiplets seem to be working for a Rome on EPYC so let’s hope it works for consumer stuff too.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2019, 06:57 AM   #5
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Last edited by Megaman : Apr 27, 2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:39 AM   #6
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Cool analysis of said pcb:

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 18.12.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F24 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 18.12.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Apr 27, 2019, 01:56 PM   #7
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Cool analysis of said pcb:

Unless it's 25% faster than my Vega 64 and only costs £400 absolutely not interested. If it is I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Oh and it has to run cooler and have a decent fan that doesn't sound like a hairdryer. Not getting my hopes up TBH. I did actually buy a Radeon VII on launch day until I read the reviews and luckily was able to cancel the order before it shipped. Won't do that again
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2019, 09:23 PM   #8
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Unless it's 25% faster than my Vega 64 and only costs £400 absolutely not interested. If it is I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Oh and it has to run cooler and have a decent fan that doesn't sound like a hairdryer. Not getting my hopes up TBH. I did actually buy a Radeon VII on launch day until I read the reviews and luckily was able to cancel the order before it shipped. Won't do that again
Honestly if this is the soon to come mid range Navi then I expect something between a 2070-2080 perf for the price of a 2060.

AMD needs a homerun in the gpu field and I hope this will be it.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Apr 28, 2019, 05:50 PM   #9
Falck
Radeon R420

Falck is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Honestly if this is the soon to come mid range Navi then I expect something between a 2070-2080 perf for the price of a 2060.

AMD needs a homerun in the gpu field and I hope this will be it.
Sooooo Navi will be a cheaper VII with lower power consumption?

I really don't understand AMD's gameplan here. With an R&D budget a fraction of it's competitor they develop two seperate GPU families alongside eachother. Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to take a "nVidia-approach" (maybe old)? Put all the money in developing a beast GPU and just downscale it for lower tiers? The way AMD act is like one family for enthusiast/high-end and another family for mid-/low-/oem-range. In my head that ties up a lot of money/resources in R&D.
Falck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2019, 07:22 PM   #10
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Vega VII was just a shrunk Vega. So it didn't necessarily require a lot of resources. Originally they weren't planning to release it for gaming, but then changed their mind supposedly related to Navi being delayed.

I'd say it's not impossible that Navi is in the 2070 ballpark. 2080 seems like it's pushing it, but we'll see.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 09:46 PM   #11
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Vega 7 is a prosumer part imo. Navi mainstream/midrange will be 8 gbs so half the vram so pricing it in the 350-400$ range should be doable. Dual 8 pin tells me it will have decent perf.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:11 PM   #12
Megaman
Packing heat!

AMD has confirmed Navi GPU launching in Q3 2019. It'll be about 1 month after Ryzen 3000.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:56 AM   #13
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So Navi will give 1080 GTX performance? 2016 performance in 2019 at 2017 prices?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019, 12:27 PM   #14
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
So Navi will give 1080 GTX performance? 2016 performance in 2019 at 2017 prices?
Aren't you happy you didn't buy a 2080Ti?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019, 05:34 PM   #15
Nagorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
It's a midrange GPU this is how it always happens. You can always buy midrange GPU performance several years earlier if you buy a high end card.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:28 PM   #16
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

:/

TLDR: skip to 33min

Old May 4, 2019, 11:19 PM   #17
pax
Rage3D Spammer

I think its the compute heavy side of things of GCN that keeps the chips power hungry. That or the first iteration of 7nm isnt that good... But I dont give a ****... gimme 250w and ~2080 perf at half the price and Im there.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 5, 2019, 06:36 PM   #18
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
I think its the compute heavy side of things of GCN that keeps the chips power hungry. That or the first iteration of 7nm isnt that good... But I dont give a ****... gimme 250w and ~2080 perf at half the price and Im there.
AMD just need to be done with GCN. Possibly another power hungry POS. Looks like I'm sticking with Vega 64 for a while yet unless the 2080 drops to £450 or less.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old May 6, 2019, 02:05 AM   #19
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
AMD Navi GPU Rumors: Navi 20 Based Radeon Instinct Delayed To Q1 2020, 7nm Navi Can’t Reach 7nm Vega Clocks, Alleged Radeon RX Navi Specifications
Quote:
AMD Navi 20 Missing GPU Clock Targets, Rumor Alleges – Thermals and Powers Reportedly Very Bad
https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-radeon...raphics-cards/

doesn't look like I will be getting a AMD gpu anytime soon

wish NV would pull it's head out and support freesync over HDMI

Last edited by bill dennison : May 6, 2019 at 02:12 AM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019, 09:35 AM   #20
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

KAC gonna be sad.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019, 05:21 PM   #21
aRandomRobot
Coffee Adict

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

I’m very skeptical. Vega gets transitioned to 7nm from a larger process with mixed results and then another architecture also based on GCN but designed with 7nm in mind comes along and performs significantly worse? Yeah that sounds like BS to me
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 04:56 AM   #22
Nagorak

It could be that Navi can't hit Vega's clocks but gets more done clock for clock. Remember with Vega they tried to make GCN scale to higher clocks and it didn't really work out that well. Maybe they pulled the plug on that approach after it proved to be a bust with Vega? I think to hit higher clocks they need an entirely new architecture. And unfortunately, AMD's clock speed deficit is largely why Nvidia GPUs are currently in the lead.

I don't know what to make of the power and thermals rumors. I find it sort of hard to believe the situation could be that bad, but then again with RTG's recent track record...
Old May 7, 2019, 02:11 PM   #23
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
It could be that Navi can't hit Vega's clocks but gets more done clock for clock. Remember with Vega they tried to make GCN scale to higher clocks and it didn't really work out that well. Maybe they pulled the plug on that approach after it proved to be a bust with Vega? I think to hit higher clocks they need an entirely new architecture. And unfortunately, AMD's clock speed deficit is largely why Nvidia GPUs are currently in the lead.

I don't know what to make of the power and thermals rumors. I find it sort of hard to believe the situation could be that bad, but then again with RTG's recent track record...
Just look at the Radeon VII. This was a failed Instinct card that would never have seen the light of day if the Turing cards hadn't been so expensive. Remember Instinct was AMD's first 7nm card so was built for that node. To make it viable Radeon VII had to up the frequency to the detriment of power and thermals and they ended up with a hairdryer that could compete with a 2080 on performance.

I should know I ordered one on day one but was able to cancel. So I'm not surprised with the Navi rumours that it can't reach acceptable clocks at it's rated TDP. Unfortunately it's 2019 and GCN is now a bust and until they move away from it, AKA next gen, nothing will change.
Old May 12, 2019, 02:11 AM   #24
Megaman
Packing heat!

So has Ryzen 9 been confirmed a 16 core? I think it has....
Old May 12, 2019, 11:16 AM   #25
pax
Rage3D Spammer

16 is just about as confirmed as can be. But latest from adored shows AMD has IP that is very interesting. AMD has a patent to stack HBM on a standard chip. Like the IO die. Doesnt mean first gen multi chip module will have it but it would be awesome if it did.

From about the 18min 30 sec mark.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 14, 2019, 01:23 PM   #26
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
AMD Announces Next Horizon Gaming Event For E3 2019 – Next Generation Graphics Launch Expected
https://wccftech.com/amd-announces-n...unch-expected/
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019, 07:05 PM   #27
Megaman
Packing heat!

Yep...AMD officially confirms Navi and Ryzen 3rd Gen will be available in Q3. I expect 3rd gen Ryzen to **** on Intel but the GPU side of things I'm not sure what to expect yet. Hopefully it catches up to the point it'll be a worth while purchase over NV.
Old May 16, 2019, 04:06 AM   #28
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

For gaming I'm not so sure 3rd gen Ryzen will shiit on intel. Probably on par, but I hope to be proven wrong.
Old May 16, 2019, 08:16 AM   #29
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
For gaming I'm not so sure 3rd gen Ryzen will shiit on intel. Probably on par, but I hope to be proven wrong.
It will be interesting to see what kind of latency penalty AMD suffers from the chiplet design given how poorly Threadripper performs in games.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM   #30
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Isn't this supposed to be the Navi Forum?? There's a CPU forum to talk about Zen 2