Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

View Poll Results: Predict how will the Switch do?
Massive Wii-like success. 75+ million consoles sold. 4 6.06%
Generally strong sales. 50-75 million consoles sold. 11 16.67%
Mild success. 25-50 million consoles sold. 20 30.30%
Borderline failure. 15-25 million consoles sold. 16 24.24%
Dreamcast-style failure. 5-15 million consoles sold. 6 9.09%
Virtual Boy-style absolute doom. <5 million consoles sold. 2 3.03%
Too hard to predict... my head esplode! 2 3.03%
Predictions are for weeners. 5 7.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:37 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Nintendo's hardware business isn't going anywhere. Firstly, they still have enough money from the massive success of the Wii, and their handhelds to afford several console failures. Furthermore, they're the only console maker that truly designs innovative hardware. Lastly, yes most kids these days are into Nintendo. If you don't realize this your living in some weird bubble.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:31 PM   #122
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

So far it seems to still be selling well. There is still excitement for it. I even saw two girls late teens, early twenties standing out front of best buy posing for pictures with one the other day.

I really don't get all the excitement for it ATM though. It has Zelda and that's pretty much it. There aren't any apps, there's next to nothing on the Eshop, it's just a really expensive way to play Zelda ATM and there are so many other good games coming out right now, my switch has gotten a whopping 4 hours maybe of use in the month I have owned it. I love the idea of it, the potential it has, I would have bought one at some point any way so I would rather take the expense earlier than later but its just a mildly expensive dust collector for me right now.

NM, I think I get the hype now. It's pretty much a new I-Phone. No real reason to upgrade other than being able to say you have one.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2017, 07:00 PM   #123
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
So far it seems to still be selling well. There is still excitement for it. I even saw two girls late teens, early twenties standing out front of best buy posing for pictures with one the other day.

I really don't get all the excitement for it ATM though. It has Zelda and that's pretty much it. There aren't any apps, there's next to nothing on the Eshop, it's just a really expensive way to play Zelda ATM and there are so many other good games coming out right now, my switch has gotten a whopping 4 hours maybe of use in the month I have owned it. I love the idea of it, the potential it has, I would have bought one at some point any way so I would rather take the expense earlier than later but its just a mildly expensive dust collector for me right now.

NM, I think I get the hype now. It's pretty much a new I-Phone. No real reason to upgrade other than being able to say you have one.
I don't get it either with really only one game worth buying for it at the moment. I can see this as something I might not be buying for maybe 2 years with how little software is available for it right now. Also the usual Nintendo poor online implementation.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 3, 2017, 09:51 AM   #124
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I think he is pretty spot on with all of this:

Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:23 AM   #125
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I think he is pretty spot on with all of this:

Never seen that guy before but his list is just the same old list everyone has been saying all over the internet. Just pretty much obvious stuff.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:56 AM   #126
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Never seen that guy before but his list is just the same old list everyone has been saying all over the internet. Just pretty much obvious stuff.
Well hopefully its obvious to Nintendo as well!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:08 PM   #127
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Im sure the billion dollar company knows what its shortcomings are and doesnt need average joe to let them know what they have to do.

Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:12 PM   #128
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Im sure the billion dollar company knows what its shortcomings are and doesnt need average joe to let them know what they have to do.
You would think so. But Nintendo has had their fair share of questionable decision making.

But yeah let's hope that is the case.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 01:24 PM   #129
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Bleh, Its in stock at retail many places today, I even have s $50 gift card I could put towards it, but cant find a reason to buy it since I own BOTW on WiiU. And nothing is coming out in the near future to even consider it, I want to, but it will just collect dust for months on end!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2017, 01:49 PM   #130
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
I would have bought one at some point any way so I would rather take the expense earlier than later but its just a mildly expensive dust collector for me right now.
I'm of the opposite mind. I'd rather hold onto my money and wait until its a worthwhile buy. Maybe when it has a more robust library, or when a hardware revision is released.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:57 PM   #131
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
I'd rather hold onto my money and wait until its a worthwhile buy. Maybe when it has a more robust library, or when a hardware revision is released.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2017, 09:25 AM   #132
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I don't think its selling as well as its competitions console launches. The Wii U sold really well up until it hit the 8 million mark and then it bottomed out. I honestly feel that there are only 10-15 million Nintendo Console fans out there now. Kids really don't care much about Nintendo as a brand. Zelda is a perfect example that Nintendo knows this.

We rarely have people coming in asking for the Switch, If anything we have more coming in asking for the 3DS.

My assumption is that come same time next year sales will begin to slump when 3rd parties are still a no show and its being held up only by Nintendo software.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:56 AM   #133
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The Wii u only sold well until the 3 million mark. After that it tanked.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:00 PM   #134
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I still think its way too early to really know.

Taking a look at how its doing this time next year will probably be when you'll be able to start to really gauge its success.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:16 PM   #135
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Nintendo's hardware business isn't going anywhere. Firstly, they still have enough money from the massive success of the Wii, and their handhelds to afford several console failures. Furthermore, they're the only console maker that truly designs innovative hardware. Lastly, yes most kids these days are into Nintendo. If you don't realize this your living in some weird bubble.
Bolded items I think highlight your own paradigm. Nintendo doesn't have as much money as people think they do. When I last looked it was something like 5 billion and was trending down slightly (minor lift due to licensing of Pokemon Go). Also, since Nintendo hasn't really had a hit console in 10+ years (peak of Wii), anyone below say 16, has in no way experienced an era where Nintendo was dominant in the console area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I don't think its selling as well as its competitions console launches. The Wii U sold really well up until it hit the 8 million mark and then it bottomed out. I honestly feel that there are only 10-15 million Nintendo Console fans out there now. Kids really don't care much about Nintendo as a brand. Zelda is a perfect example that Nintendo knows this.

We rarely have people coming in asking for the Switch, If anything we have more coming in asking for the 3DS.

My assumption is that come same time next year sales will begin to slump when 3rd parties are still a no show and its being held up only by Nintendo software.
It's pretty far short of Playstation and Xbox numbers at their starts. Also, I think they slump before a year from now if not from lack of 3rd party or Indie but also the new "Switch Tax". Games a couple years old being ported that cost more then current or when they launched in the first place? Not good.

Echo Chamber - "an environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered."

This is considered trolling and a personal attack according to Curio. FYI in case you decide to step in there. I wonder if the definition of irony is known...
AdelphiaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:34 PM   #136
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Bolded items I think highlight your own paradigm. Nintendo doesn't have as much money as people think they do. When I last looked it was something like 5 billion and was trending down slightly (minor lift due to licensing of Pokemon Go). Also, since Nintendo hasn't really had a hit console in 10+ years (peak of Wii), anyone below say 16, has in no way experienced an era where Nintendo was dominant in the console area.
My point was also considering Nintendo's handheld market, which is absolutely dominant.

Go out and try to find a kid that doesn't own some variation of a Nintendo DS. I think you'd have a hard time.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:42 PM   #137
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

In 2017, would not be more likely to find a kid that only does mobile gaming than one that plays on nintendo handhelds?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:50 PM   #138
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
In 2017, would not be more likely to find a kid that only does mobile gaming than one that plays on nintendo handhelds?
Hmm, I think it would be more likely to find a kid that does both, mobile phone and Nintendo handheld gaming.

Doubtful that most kids ONLY game on phones. At some point they're probably going to get a dedicated handheld gaming system and Nintendo is the go-to for that.

I don't have actual numbers though, so this would be my guess from anecdotal experience.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 02:33 PM   #139
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I've noticed that Nintendo seems to advertise more on kids TV channels. For the first time in forever, I was watching some cartoon and every ad break had an ad for Fruit Loops and Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World. Game wasn't even all that new at the time. Also, I don't think Nintendo only advertises 3DS this way...
borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2017, 01:49 PM   #140
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
My point was also considering Nintendo's handheld market, which is absolutely dominant.

Go out and try to find a kid that doesn't own some variation of a Nintendo DS. I think you'd have a hard time.
Challenge Accepted. I'll ask the neighborhood kids this weekend.

Echo Chamber - "an environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered."

This is considered trolling and a personal attack according to Curio. FYI in case you decide to step in there. I wonder if the definition of irony is known...
AdelphiaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2017, 03:27 PM   #141
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Well hopefully its obvious to Nintendo as well!
Nintendo doesn't do obvious. See: their entire history.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2017, 03:45 PM   #142
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Nintendo doesn't do obvious. See: their entire history.
That's exactly the point I was implying to logical.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 04:29 PM   #143
logical
What is my purpose?

They dont do obvious but they do make money. So what people outside of the company think they should do doesnt matter to them.

Old Apr 7, 2017, 04:55 PM   #144
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Wonder what they were thinking with their handling of the NES Classic edition then.

They could have done gangbusters with that but chose not to make it widely available. That's a company that makes money?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 05:43 PM   #145
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Wonder what they were thinking with their handling of the NES Classic edition then.

They could have done gangbusters with that but chose not to make it widely available. That's a company that makes money?
They sold as many as they wanted to make.

Old Apr 7, 2017, 06:05 PM   #146
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Nintendo is one of the most stubborn companies in existence. If they didn't have the franchises they do, they would've disappeared long ago.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2017, 07:52 PM   #147
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Nintendo is one of the most stubborn companies in existence. If they didn't have the franchises they do, they would've disappeared long ago.
Yup. If they hadn't had Miyamoto or Gunpei Yokoi, they would have been a horrible failure decades ago.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2017, 08:49 PM   #148
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

They'd still be around as a company. They'd just be making something different like toys or something.

I think a lot of people forget, or just don't realize they've been around for well over 100 years. Bit longer than video games.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:17 PM   #149
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post

I still can't find a Switch in Stock near me. I check regularly, because I'm looking for anyou new games or accessories.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:46 PM   #150
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I might have to start scoping out some switches and flipping them for some extra cash.
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote