Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 17, 2019, 08:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Default EVGA RMA Issues.

I'm at the point now where I want to cry.

EVGA Superclocked 980 Ti started losing video signal in games so I had to RMA it, it gets delayed due to the fact that it was year end inventory and they don't process or ship anything for a week.

First RMA 980 Ti I get, plexi is all scratched on it, fan makes a clicking noise, card runs hot.

2nd RMA I get has visible PCB damage on back corners, and 2 very concerning brown spots like brown outs.

Due to the issues they upgrade me to an ACX 3.0 Superclocked 1080. Thinking freaking awesome I'm glad I stuck it through this with them.

It arrives with 2 bad fan bearings.

Do they even test these cards?

Here's a video of the sound. Recorded with a phone, so have to kinda listen past the wind noise.

Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2019, 09:09 PM   #2
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

EVGA has usually been pretty spot on with their RMA's with me. If this is your 3rd RMA I'd ask to speak to a 2nd tier guy and complain to them. I'd also ask for free cross shipping since this is their multiple screw up.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2019, 09:14 PM   #3
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
EVGA has usually been pretty spot on with their RMA's with me. If this is your 3rd RMA I'd ask to speak to a 2nd tier guy and complain to them. I'd also ask for free cross shipping since this is their multiple screw up.
They actually have cross shipped the last 2. They've been really cool about it honestly. It's just extremely freaking frustrating. I called into support and they did escalate. He did say they have been having some issues with QA management that they are working through and apologized.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 18, 2019, 06:27 AM   #4
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Ask them to send you brand new card and upgrade to RTX 2080.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2019, 08:38 AM   #5
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Ask them to send you brand new card and upgrade to RTX 2080.
, 1080Ti maybe.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2019, 09:05 AM   #6
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
, 1080Ti maybe.
Yeah they will not send out a new card, no matter what I even offered to pay the difference on the last round.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Jan 18, 2019, 09:59 AM   #7
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Tell them to send an open box RTX 2080.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:13 AM   #8
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Yeah they will not send out a new card, no matter what I even offered to pay the difference on the last round.
Yeah, they'll "upgrade you" but always with returned stock.

yoz
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:33 AM   #9
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Yeah, they'll "upgrade you" but always with returned stock.
Correct. Which I'm fine with, but clearly most of these cards get either slapped together, or not actually checked. Which they did admit to QA issues that they are correcting. So hopefully they are on it.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:36 AM   #10
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Correct. Which I'm fine with, but clearly most of these cards get either slapped together, or not actually checked. Which they did admit to QA issues that they are correcting. So hopefully they are on it.
At least have them send you something that's not beat up.

yoz
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:58 PM   #11
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

last card I RMA was Asus they upgraded a 2+ year old 290x dcii 4gb to a brand new 390x dcii 8gb first time

I always felt evga was over priced and overrated
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2019, 01:36 PM   #12
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Asus not overpriced?

I'll agree that EVGA is not what they used to be but I think they are better than average.

yoz
Old Jan 18, 2019, 01:45 PM   #13
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Asus not overpriced?

I'll agree that EVGA is not what they used to be but I think they are better than average.
the ROG stuff is high priced but it is better than anything EVGA puts out
most of EVGA is just a stock board with a fancy looking cooler
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2019, 09:23 PM   #14
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Now I am getting the feeling EVGA is starting to think I'm lieing. I've been asked to take more footage and when I called in I was scuffed off about how I had the fans at max and ofcourse they are going to make noise. Well no, I have the fans at 60% when I was taking the video. When I was asked to hold the right fan, then the left fan to see if the noise stopped holding the right fan makes the left fan RAMP to max. I said I couldn't really tell becuase it's hard to hear anything when that first fan hits max.
His response? "Well you had it at max when you took the video!". No, I didn't. But thanks.
Here is the new video where you can clearly hear the fans.

I was told to stop one of the

Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Jan 18, 2019, 09:38 PM   #15
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

They should make fans easily swapeable like my XFX has. Make rma's way easier.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:07 PM   #16
KAC
That postcount though...

By now I would have slapped the nzxt bracket and h55 I have lying around.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:15 PM   #17
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
By now I would have slapped the nzxt bracket and h55 I have lying around.
I was about to suggest this. If the only problem with the card is the fan, then just convert it to water cooling. It will be much cooler and quieter than you'll ever achieve even with a non-faulty fan. I would say the expense can be justified based on the free upgrade you received. Alternatively you can buy replacement fans on Ebay usually.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:01 PM   #18
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

More issues arise.

I'm so ****ing done with EVGA.

Ok no'w I cant even get through 3dMark

Having a hard time even getting windows to keep from freezing long enough to edit this post. I'm done, ab
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Jan 22, 2019, 05:06 AM   #19
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

So, you're currently....pissed?

on a more serious note, yeah, that's understandable. Also another vote for going the watercooled route

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:35 AM   #20
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
More issues arise.

I'm so ****ing done with EVGA.

Having a hard time even getting windows to keep from freezing long enough to edit this post. I'm done, ab
Oh that blows.

yoz
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:46 PM   #21
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'd at least get one that isn't artifacting first before going to water cooling.

At this point call back and escalate it again. Tell them this is the 4th try and they need to replace it with a new card.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:50 PM   #22
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have a hard time believing 4 cards in a row are all bad. Are you sure connections are all good? PSU isn't on the edge?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2019, 04:25 PM   #23
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I have a hard time believing 4 cards in a row are all bad. Are you sure connections are all good? PSU isn't on the edge?
One of thier reps did admit to me they are having some QA issues that they are rectifying, and apologized for it. One of the very minor things is, the 3rd card I received had a large hair just sticking out of the fan right when I opened it up from the box. I know that means nothing, it's a hair. But it really goes to show if they can't remove a simple hair before packaging a card, how can you really expect any level of quality on their testing? How little time are they really spending with these cards?

Had no problems with the 7870 running in it's place. I even took it out, put it in wifes PC and couldn't get through 3D mark. I put it back into my PC and it started doing the same thing.

I actually did figure out how to make it "stable" I have to move the voltage slider to 50% at stock clocks and it seems ok, but it was very limited testing.

Anyways, EVGA did step up. They are sending me a NIB 2070. They even overnighted it, no questions asked. Hell of an upgrade from a 980 Ti.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Jan 22, 2019, 08:12 PM   #24
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

Wow 4 cards in a row RMA'ed. That'd suck big time!
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2019, 08:22 PM   #25
KAC
That postcount though...

2070 is dope.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 08:26 PM   #26
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
most of EVGA is just a stock board with a fancy looking cooler
same for everything from ASUS aside from the STRIX. EVGA has the Classified cards and the K1NGP1N variants.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2019, 08:42 PM   #27
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Anyways, EVGA did step up. They are sending me a NIB 2070. They even overnighted it, no questions asked. Hell of an upgrade from a 980 Ti.
Well finally!

yoz
Old Jan 22, 2019, 09:43 PM   #28
Bitey
Radeon Northern Islands

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Payment for testing a batch of RMA cards for them
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2019, 06:37 PM   #29
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
I'd at least get one that isn't artifacting first before going to water cooling.

At this point call back and escalate it again. Tell them this is the 4th try and they need to replace it with a new card.
Well, that's obvious. The suggestions to water cool were before the GPU started having errors.

Glad to hear EVGA finally solved the problem though.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote