Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 7, 2020, 11:13 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Hz over resolution any day of week.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:22 AM   #32
Jay20016

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I'll be stopping by the local Best Buy tomorrow to swap out a mouse. Going to try and check out some of the monitors while I'm there. Hopefully get a short sample of everything.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Not sure I'm any closer to making a decision yet, but it'll probably help to see some of these things in person.
If they have any of the HP Omen 27i take a look at them. After my Acer **** the bed wound up with it since stock has been abysmal for a lot of the "best" monitors since the pandemic started. 27" 1440p 165Hz IPS panel. Colors are fantastic, only complaint is the stand sticks out towards you so it forces you to sit closer, but not a huge issue if you have a larger desk top. Has RGB which was not something I wanted but has actually been fairly useful to light up the desk top and give some ambient light on the back wall vs. having another light on. Set the lights to a dull white and it's been good. The blue light filter has also been very nice when doing office work.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2020, 01:27 PM   #33
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Got to check some of these displays out finally!

So, here's what I've decided. I'll change my criteria in the first post.

The 27" monitors actually seem like a fairly decent size, so that will be the minimum. I didn't really get to see 2560x1440 in a desktop environment (they were just showing demo reels), but the size alone is "good enough". I do like the 32" size better, but I absolutely will NOT do 1440P at that size. If I go 32", it's gotta be 4k.

They didn't have any 38" Ultrawide, but they did have a 34". And man...awful, awful, AWFUL. I do NOT like it one single bit. Just too narrow and not tall enough. It's so skewed, I thought the 27" monitor next to it was a 24". Hard pass on that. However, I might entertain the idea of a 38" to get that extra height.

They had some curved monitors too. Just like the 34", this is a hard pass. Absolutely loathe the curved displays. It's an automatic no, can't do it. I realize the 38" will likely be curved only, and I'll have to deal with that if I go that route. But other than that, I will NOT buy a curved monitor.

So, I've basically narrowed it down to:

1. 27" 2560x1440
2. 32" 4k
3. 38" 3440x1600
4. No curved displays except for 38" UW

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
OverclockN' is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 8, 2020, 06:48 PM   #34
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Starting a list of monitors, so far these two definitely make the cut.

1. Asus TUF VG27AQ
2. LG 27GL850

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 8, 2020, 08:10 PM   #35
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

The LG is a great monitor my wife picked one up. Color reproduction is pretty good compared to our ips monitors.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2020, 08:36 PM   #36
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have been using Asus PG279Q for 2+ years. I still recommend it. Has Gsync, 165Hz, great colors once you tinker with it but is IPS not VA. I don’t mind it. There is a 32 inch 4K also in a similar range but it is only 60 Hz and why I never bought it.

Should be a cheap buy around 600 bucks.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 08:41 PM   #37
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I have been using Asus PG279Q for 2+ years. I still recommend it. Has Gsync, 165Hz, great colors once you tinker with it but is IPS not VA. I don’t mind it. There is a 32 inch 4K also in a similar range but it is only 60 Hz and why I never bought it.

Should be a cheap buy around 600 bucks.
I looked over the PG279QV (new version of yours) quite closely. After comparing reviews and specs for about an hour, I decided there was absolutely nothing there to warrant the additional cost. The TUF model also supports GSYNC, it's just one of the "GSYNC compatible" models. Which is good enough for me. The ROG model is full GSYNC with the onboard components.

I'm looking around at 32" 4k, but nothing really strikes me as something I want to jump on.

All the good 38" displays are going to be $1000+ more. So I think I'm going to eliminate them.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B

Last edited by OverclockN' : Aug 8, 2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 08:47 PM   #38
KAC
That postcount though...

Nvidia used to charge 200 bucks for the Gsync module back then.
After using the Gsync compatible OLED, yes there isn’t the need for a module.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 09:06 PM   #39
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Nvidia used to charge 200 bucks for the Gsync module back then.
They still do. The model I quoted was the new version of the one you said you used. That's the new ROG that's more expensive. I compared that to the lower end TUF model (the one I have in my list), and the specs are virtually the same except for that GSYNC module vs compatibility stuff.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:21 PM   #40
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I find it bizarre you discount the 34" UW due to height, only to get a 27" panel of identical height. They're both 1440p panels with the same pixel pitch, one just has an extra 33% real estate on the sides. For me personally, UW is better for both productivity and gaming.

Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:36 PM   #41
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
I find it bizarre you discount the 34" UW due to height, only to get a 27" panel of identical height. They're both 1440p panels with the same pixel pitch, one just has an extra 33% real estate on the sides
It's a visual thing, and it bugs me. As I mentioned, I saw it was the same height as the 27" next to it on the shelf.

Quote:
Just too narrow and not tall enough. It's so skewed, I thought the 27" monitor next to it was a 24"
The keyboard I bought there today has a couple of keys not working (just my luck...), so I'm going back tomorrow. I'll check them out again.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:39 PM   #42
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Fair enough, each to their own. I guess I feel that way about the 49" 32:9 Super wide monitors.

Anyway, in game shots:
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:45 PM   #43
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

How does 21:9 work with older games and movies/shows? I'd imagine I'd have borders on the sides on a lot of stuff.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:59 PM   #44
demo
space cadet

I can't speak for every game, but everything I have installed works fine (about 40 games). The oldest game I have installed is HL2 and it's perfect.

Check out this link for video and movie comparisons (scroll to bottom).

If video is a priority I'd probably be looking at a 4k display though, forget about 1440p.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:23 AM   #45
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Interesting article, definitely answered a lot of questions. I'll take another look at them tomorrow. Videos definitely aren't a priority, as I have TV's for that. I just have videos with either Netflix or Youtube constantly going while on the web. So, on the other hand, ultra-wide would be nice to have that extra room (like I did with the 4k tv when I used that) to have multiple sites open, or videos plus sites. And I could hook the display up to my work laptop and get rid of these monitors while not sacrificing real estate.

Here's my current setup that I tossed together with monitors I took from my desk at work.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B

Last edited by OverclockN' : Aug 9, 2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 01:44 AM   #46
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Yea so a 49" 32:9 Superwide would just be like that, if they are 27", but without a bezel in the middle.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2020, 02:35 AM   #47
KAC
That postcount though...

For me the unbearable part was the stretching (fishbowl effect) on the sides which happened with UW. I just couldn’t live with it. The positive would have been cheating potential in online FPS games.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 02:52 AM   #48
demo
space cadet

That just means your FOV was too high.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 02:57 AM   #49
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
That just means your FOV was too high.
I play at 90 for everything. Rarely 100. Either way it is water under the bridge for me. Now there is no chance of me diving back into UW anytime soon. Right now I am trying to find a desk where I can hook up the OLED without going blind in the process. .
Old Aug 9, 2020, 03:04 AM   #50
demo
space cadet

Whatever floats your boat man. I'll be staying with UW. Have a 4k TV right next to it and find the 144hz UW monitor to be far superior for KB/M gaming and productivity.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 04:20 AM   #51
KAC
That postcount though...

Of course different strokes. The good news is unlike in the past these days there are actually choices. In the past you had to compromise a lot or pay through the nose for cutting edge (think BFD or UW 100 Hz displays, panel uniformity issues, Gsync, OC, refresh rates etc). Now for same price you can have a 55 inch OLED with HDMI 2.1 and best colors in the display business.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 03:05 PM   #52
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Looked at the 34" 3440x1440 displays again at Best Buy. They still look very small on the display shelf, but I think it's just the way they are on the shelf. I watched it a bit to try and get use to it, then went back to the 1440P 27". They both seemed small, but I think they'll be fine when I get it here on my desk. Hell, these are 22" monitors I'm using now.

The longer I looked at the ultrawide and then went back to the 27"...you guys were right. I think I preferred the wider display.

Going to switch gears and research those a bit. Open to suggestions on specific displays.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 9, 2020, 03:19 PM   #53
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Glad you got a second look, with the higher resolutions the height issues really melt away compared to the first gen of these super wides. I haven't seen any ultrawides (32:9) in person, were there any at Best Buy? Might have to make a visit if they allow window shopping now.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2020, 03:30 PM   #54
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Glad you got a second look, with the higher resolutions the height issues really melt away compared to the first gen of these super wides. I haven't seen any ultrawides (32:9) in person, were there any at Best Buy? Might have to make a visit if they allow window shopping now.
The two Best Buy's near me (40mi away in different directions) both had only a single 34" display. Not a very good one either, being something like 2560x1080 or some goofy resolution. I was just trying to get an idea of size, since it's the only option I have to see something in person.

There were definitely no 32:9 displays at either location.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 9, 2020, 04:15 PM   #55
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
The two Best Buy's near me (40mi away in different directions) both had only a single 34" display. Not a very good one either, being something like 2560x1080 or some goofy resolution. I was just trying to get an idea of size, since it's the only option I have to see something in person.

There were definitely no 32:9 displays at either location.
Oh yeah those sound like first gen super wides, definitely avoid. For 27" I wouldn't go below 1440p so to drop resolution and have a wider screen is a big step backwards.

Do you have any Fry's? I haven't stepped into one for a while but I remember they would have tons of PC's on display with all sorts of monitors attached. The nearest one is a bit of a drive so I rarely go.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2020, 06:31 PM   #56
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Oh yeah those sound like first gen super wides, definitely avoid. For 27" I wouldn't go below 1440p so to drop resolution and have a wider screen is a big step backwards.

Do you have any Fry's? I haven't stepped into one for a while but I remember they would have tons of PC's on display with all sorts of monitors attached. The nearest one is a bit of a drive so I rarely go.
Right, I had no intention of getting those low resolution displays. Just trying to get an idea of the size. I won't do anything but 3440x1440 or 3840x1600.

My only option anywhere reasonably close is Best Buy. Other closest stores are about 3hrs away.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 10, 2020, 01:22 AM   #57
demo
space cadet

Depending on the refresh rate you want, you can pick up some UW for pretty cheap. 100hz are fairly cheap, but 120 and 144hz drive the costs up significantly, as well as Gsync module or cheaper Gsync/Freesync compatible VRR.

Quote:
Of course different strokes. The good news is unlike in the past these days there are actually choices. In the past you had to compromise a lot or pay through the nose for cutting edge
You're totally right buddy, so many choices these days without as much compromise.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 03:49 AM   #58
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Depending on the refresh rate you want, you can pick up some UW for pretty cheap. 100hz are fairly cheap, but 120 and 144hz drive the costs up significantly, as well as Gsync module or cheaper Gsync/Freesync compatible VRR
I'm thinking 120Hz minimum, and it doesn't have to have the GSYNC module...but at least GSYNC compatible.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Aug 11, 2020, 04:53 AM   #59
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Depending on the refresh rate you want, you can pick up some UW for pretty cheap. 100hz are fairly cheap, but 120 and 144hz drive the costs up significantly, as well as Gsync module or cheaper Gsync/Freesync compatible VRR.

You're totally right buddy, so many choices these days without as much compromise.
my display should be relatively affordable these days, the freesync version plays quite with nv cards
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2020, 09:20 AM   #60
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I just picked up the Odyssey G7 32" myself. After being wowed in store. This could be _the_ perfect monitor.... If they can get this flickering issue sorted out. 240hz, VA, 1ms, HDR600, local dimming, 1440P (I get it, not 4k, but you want to use 240hz). 32" So you get almost the same "size" as the 34" while keeping the standard 16:9 aspect ratio. 1000R curve, which at first is incredibly aggressive, but being the same curve as the eye, it's actually quite soothing once you understand how to use the monitor the same way you do your eyes (stare middle, use peripherals).

As a competetive gamer with league, I welcome the 240hz, dear lord butter smooth. But please Samsung, fix the flickering.

Anyways, might be one you want to look at OCN.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote