Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:17 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Watching the 1st episode in about 30 minutes. I have been waiting for this for a few years now!
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:33 PM   #32
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork64 View Post
yep
wincest

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:02 PM   #33
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Awesome. Very true to the books. Kept having to pause and explain to the gf what was happening and who was who, and luckily she kept up too.

edit: I agree with my brown friend -- if I hadn't read the novels, I would be somewhat confused. I can see it being overwhelming for the casual TV watcher.

Last edited by dreamwalker : Apr 18, 2011 at 10:05 PM.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:16 AM   #34
Tork64
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tork64 is still being judged by the masses

OMG, stay away from the imdb GOT forums, that place is infested with spoilers. I think I just read something about the next episode which I shouldn't have read, stopped reading it half way but I think I kind of got the gist of it
Tork64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:17 AM   #35
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

boobies

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:57 AM   #36
Dem2k
Radeon Sea Islands

Dem2k is still being judged by the masses

Hard not to notice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcvdDtnM_0
King of LimboooO!
Dem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:10 AM   #37
huskylord
Individual 2

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I thought it was great and the production value was fantastic.
I wonder as the dire wolves get older, if they will use CGI or just big ass malamutes
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:48 AM   #38
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
HBO RENEWS GAME OF THRONES FOR SECOND SEASON

LOS ANGELES, April 19, 2011 – Following strong critical and viewer response to the series’ April 17 debut, HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a second season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.

“We are delighted by the way David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have brought George R.R. Martin’s amazing book series to the screen, and thrilled by the support of the media and our viewers,” said Lombardo. “This is the continuation of an exciting creative partnership.”
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:55 AM   #39
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

How accessible is it if you haven't read the books?
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:03 AM   #40
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I would say it's fairly accessible. There's a lot of subtle details in the visual elements, even the way people look at each other that I think is meant to convey some of the more descriptive content from the books. It can be a bit "meh" on the surface, but I think you should give it a shot.

Also, anyone else think the casting of lady stark was poor? I always imagined her looking younger and prettier.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:04 AM   #41
RicH(SAD)
Radeon Northern Islands

RicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
How accessible is it if you haven't read the books?
I found a few parts a little hard to follow, but overall I enjoyed every minute of it.
RicH(SAD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:05 AM   #42
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Swingline,

There are a lot of characters. HBO has a series of shorts going over each of the major houses and characters available on YouTube. The first episode was pretty slow paced and introduced many of the characters. I liked how they announced on screen the location they had shifted to throughout the show.

The books are great though. I've read them a couple of times. Can't wait for the next book in July (keeping my fingers crossed).
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:12 AM   #43
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

I'll have to check it out. I never even heard of the books. I may pick them up too.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:30 PM   #44
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
I'll have to check it out. I never even heard of the books. I may pick them up too.

it's an ongoing series so if you do pick it up you'll have wait a few years for the conclusion.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:45 PM   #45
swingline
Dab on them folks

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
it's an ongoing series so if you do pick it up you'll have wait a few years for the conclusion.
Are you talking about the HBO series or the books?

I sort of assumed the show would be on for a couple of seasons...

RIP Jesse
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:52 PM   #46
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Solid looking first episode.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:56 PM   #47
Saand
Radeon R200

Saand is still being judged by the masses

Good news.

It's already been renewed for a second season.
Saand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:19 AM   #48
mdrnhl
load "*" ,8,1

mdrnhl is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Also, anyone else think the casting of lady stark was poor? I always imagined her looking younger and prettier.

Absolutely. Given as important a character as Catelyn is througout a good portion of the series, I don't feel that particular actress is engaging. At all.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:51 AM   #49
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrnhl View Post
Absolutely. Given as important a character as Catelyn is througout a good portion of the series, I don't feel that particular actress is engaging. At all.
She is the worst casting choice so far. Everyone else seems very good to excellent.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:55 AM   #50
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
Solid looking first episode.
Agreed, I was hooked. Much better than Camelot on Starz.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:51 PM   #51
Shark
Pain

Shark is still being judged by the masses

terrific show, excellent writing and direction.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:08 PM   #52
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I couldn't agree more about Catelyn Stark's casting. Doesn't feel right, everyone else is excellent though especially the imp.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:08 PM   #53
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Agreed, I was hooked. Much better than Camelot on Starz.
The actor playing King Arthur is my issue with Camelot. Hopefully he grows into the role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I couldn't agree more about Catelyn Stark's casting. Doesn't feel right, everyone else is excellent though especially the imp.
Agreed especially on Catelyn Stark's casting. She doesn't fit the picture I had of her at all. Hopefully works out. The Imp is looking like he will fulfill the role well.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:47 PM   #54
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

I don't read books but I still watch and enjoy these adaptation type shows, including this show thus far.

Also enjoyed Pillars of the Earth.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:12 PM   #55
Zero
Sass hole

I could be misremembering, but I coulda sworn the starks were in their mid 30s.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:41 PM   #56
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I could be misremembering, but I coulda sworn the starks were in their mid 30s.
If I remember correctly you are right. Ned was young when he went off to war with Robert. It was supposed to be be around 15 years after the wars end. Which puts them in their 30's. They look closer to 50...

HBO has modified the ages... Jon is supposed to be 17 now. Rickon is 6. Daenerys is 17 instead of 13 in the book.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:46 PM   #57
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Are you talking about the HBO series or the books?

I sort of assumed the show would be on for a couple of seasons...
the books. there are supposed to be 7 only 4 are out. Book 4 was out in 2005 and Book 5 is supposed to be released in July 2011. With 6 years between books it's going to take awhile.

Last edited by nrs421 : Apr 22, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:56 PM   #58
huskylord
Individual 2

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

What?...no comments on the second episode?
I thought it was great, and things really should be moving now.
Still wonder if they'll keep using huskies or switch to cgi for the direwolves when they are full grown (the size of small ponies)
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:58 PM   #59
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

I'm enjoying it. It is just sinking in how much rushing through they are having to do to tell the story. Can't be helped. I'll enjoy it as a companion to the books.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:02 PM   #60
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
the books. there are supposed to be 7 only 4 are out. Book 4 was out in 2005 and Book 5 is supposed to be released in July 2011. With 6 years between books it's going to take awhile.
I'll sound like a GRRM apologist but I'll say it anyways. He supposedly has a lot written for the next book. If he'd quit writing ahead he would probably finish quicker. Please don't throw stones at me.