Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jul 8, 2019, 04:42 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

If you want a 4 cylinder.

I am about 99% certain the Camaro V6 6 speed would work on these trucks, the bellhousing is the same.

I'm likely V8 swapping mine once the powertrain warranty is up.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2019, 04:57 PM   #152
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Yeah the 8 speed transmission issue is big enough that it effects all of GM 8 speed vehicles, and there's a class action lawsuit now.
Didn't their auto trannies of yore (im talking the 3 speed and 4 speed hydramatics) used to be pretty good?
what the hell happened?
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2019, 05:22 PM   #153
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Didn't their auto trannies of yore (im talking the 3 speed and 4 speed hydramatics) used to be pretty good?
what the hell happened?
Yeah, that used to be their biggest strength, IMO. The 6 speed autos even have this issue to a lesser degree.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 8, 2019, 06:35 PM   #154
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

The new 10 speed they co-developed with Ford has a lot of issues too. That along with the oil consumption on the new V8 coyote motors is why I didn't pick up that 2019 F150 I test drove a month ago.

This is the truck I made an offer on, then backed out after reading horror stories about these 2018+ models.

https://www.huntersvilleford.com/new...EW1E58KFB11653
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2019, 09:27 AM   #155
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Yeah the 8 speed transmission issue is big enough that it effects all of GM 8 speed vehicles, and there's a class action lawsuit now.
Is it a dual clutch design?

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:43 PM   #156
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
Is it a dual clutch design?
No.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 06:06 PM   #157
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Turbo 400's would last forever...

My 1980 Parisienne had one mated to a 267 and after 200,000KM, I had the
sabots (?) changed with the oil and that was it...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2019, 07:31 PM   #158
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
Turbo 400's would last forever...

My 1980 Parisienne had one mated to a 267 and after 200,000KM, I had the
sabots (?) changed with the oil and that was it...
lol! That also probably made like 100HP.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2019, 07:32 PM   #159
Elysian
SCAATSJW

For real. 3 speed auto with literally no computer would last forever behind a hideously underpowered motor that revs to maybe 5000rpm? You don't say.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 08:02 PM   #160
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

I do say. Those were the days...

Having said this, many people dragged those trannies from here to eternity with much success...

Road: 140HP and 245lb/ft
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:31 AM   #161
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Build quality of those old GM cars were garbage but those trannies/engines were tanks. Weak unrefined boat anchor tanks but tanks nonetheless.

and yes they did not rev at all lol. Felt like a struggle to rev it up to redline which was low diesel like lol.

My family used to have an 88 Buick Century with the 2.8 MPFI motor, then when the motor died we got a 90 Chevy Corsica with a 4 banger, then "upgraded" to a better more loaded 92 Corsica with the 3.1 MPFI. (Financial troubles got us the Corsicas, they were cheap as hell disposable but I think good value for what they were)

I don't think any of the cars were following any maintenance schedule, dad just changed oil whenever he felt like and the car got repairs only when it required it.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:19 AM   #162
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
I do say. Those were the days...

Having said this, many people dragged those trannies from here to eternity with much success...

Road: 140HP and 245lb/ft
The V6 in my Colorado is rated 308hp at 6800rpm and 275lb-ft at 4000rpm.

The transmission problem seems to be related to low hydraulic pressure at under 2krpm.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 09:44 AM   #163
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Dropped it off today, they gave me a turbo 4 banger Chevy Equinox as a loaner. The acceleration was really good, so I had to pop the hood and see.

Look at that cute little turbski, so little.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 09:53 AM   #164
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Dropped it off today, they gave me a turbo 4 banger Chevy Equinox as a loaner. The acceleration was really good, so I had to pop the hood and see.

Look at that cute little turbski, so little.
Ha the smallest cutest engine ive ever seen was the 2015 Honda Fit's 1.5L
It aint no turbo but its such a cute little hunk of metal!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:27 AM   #165
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Ha the smallest cutest engine ive ever seen was the 2015 Honda Fit's 1.5L
It aint no turbo but its such a cute little hunk of metal!
Turns out this one is also 1.5l, making 170hp. There is a 2.0 turbo for these that makes 252hp and comes with a 9 speed auto.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 02:16 PM   #166
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Turns out this one is also 1.5l, making 170hp. There is a 2.0 turbo for these that makes 252hp and comes with a 9 speed auto.
Ford had the Fiesta ST pumping out 192 (210 really) and that was a 1.6. Tune alone and people hit 220hp/280tq at the wheels.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2019, 02:21 PM   #167
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Ford had the Fiesta ST pumping out 192 (210 really) and that was a 1.6. Tune alone and people hit 220hp/280tq at the wheels.
Can't say I really care. I wouldn't buy an Equinox, and I'd definitely never buy a Fiesturd.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 03:23 PM   #168
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Can't say I really care. I wouldn't buy an Equinox, and I'd definitely never buy a Fiesturd.
Was just more a topic of how well they are churning power out of these little engines(as a whole wasn't trying to start a GM vs Ford scenerio).
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz

Last edited by CurrentlyPissed : Jul 25, 2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 02:34 PM   #169
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Called the dealer to see what was up with my truck, they told me it's ready. They also told me my service adviser no longer works there. I've only had my truck since March 2018, and have had 4 or 5 different service advisers already. I told the guy they go through people so fast and he said they "self fire"
Old Aug 7, 2019, 07:07 PM   #170
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got it back, way better, much improved, especially after a week and a half with that Equinox.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:13 AM   #171
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Called the dealer to see what was up with my truck, they told me it's ready. They also told me my service adviser no longer works there. I've only had my truck since March 2018, and have had 4 or 5 different service advisers already. I told the guy they go through people so fast and he said they "self fire"
Sounds like a management issue not hiring the right personal to begin with, or running the place into the ground. Dealerships usually keep advisors for a very, very long time.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:43 AM   #172
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Got it back, way better, much improved, especially after a week and a half with that Equinox.
Maybe that was their strategy. Give you an Equinox for about two weeks. You'd forget how bad your truck was behaving and hand it back to you having done nothing to it.
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:50 AM   #173
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Maybe that was their strategy. Give you an Equinox for about two weeks. You'd forget how bad your truck was behaving and hand it back to you having done nothing to it.
I did my best to trigger the shudder on the way to work this morning, no dice. Everything is nice and smooth now, pedal feels more direct, responsive, too.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:17 PM   #174
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
I did my best to trigger the shudder on the way to work this morning, no dice. Everything is nice and smooth now, pedal feels more direct, responsive, too.
Any idea what they did to fix it?

I've got a 2007.5 Silverado 1500 Z71 with 110K miles (was 98K when bought). Sweet 5.3L V8 engine, even with the AFM system that switches between v4 and v8 on the fly. I'm toying with the idea of buying a plug-in computer modifier to prevent the AFM from deactivating the cylinders. I'm told the oil burn caused by AFM is a thing. Do the new Chevy trucks still use it?
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:21 PM   #175
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post

I've got a 2007.5 Silverado 1500 Z71 with 110K miles (was 98K when bought). Sweet 5.3L V8 engine, even with the AFM system that switches between v4 and v8 on the fly. I'm toying with the idea of buying a plug-in computer modifier to prevent the AFM from deactivating the cylinders. I'm told the oil burn caused by AFM is a thing. Do the new Chevy trucks still use it?
They do but it's a newer generation of AFM, doesn't have the oil burn problem of the older engines.

They did TSB-355, which flushed the transmission with 20qts of new fluid and then flashed a new program on the trans computer.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:25 PM   #176
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
They do but it's a newer generation of AFM, doesn't have the oil burn problem of the older engines.
Interesting. I haven't noticed any fuel saving when in v4 mode. Others around the Internet seem to agree. Not sure what the point is.

Quote:
They did TSB-355, which flushed the transmission with 20qts of new fluid and then flashed a new program on the trans computer.
Hope it stays shudder-free for ya.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:31 PM   #177
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Interesting. I haven't noticed any fuel saving when in v4 mode. Others around the Internet seem to agree. Not sure what the point is.

Hope it stays shudder-free for ya.
Guy across the street from me disabled it on his previous truck and he lost maybe 3mpg. My truck doesn't get great economy already, and cylinder deactivation only drops it from 6 to 4 and almost never comes on, so I don't really know what the point is. I don't need it to drop to 4 when I'm coasting...
Old Aug 8, 2019, 02:32 PM   #178
Elysian
SCAATSJW

GM getting proactive, telling all dealers to do the fluid flush on all 8 speed auto vehicles in inventory.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 05:37 PM   #179
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

That's pretty standard. IQS is pretty important to manufactures as it weighs heavily on JD scores. The amount of things we fix on inventory vehicles often has us scratching our head. Kia is really bad about it. There's nothing more fun than having a full schedule for customers and a quality program rolling out effecting 30+ inventoried vehicles that sales wants done yesterday. Because you know, they can sell all 30 of those vehicles right now. Even though they've been on the lot for 90 days.

EDIT***

IQS = Initial quality

JD = JD power and associates. It means squat realistically, but it has a huge impact direct to new vehicle sales. I'd never take it for value, personally though.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Aug 9, 2019, 06:31 PM   #180
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

Absolutely disable AFM. I disabled it on my 5.3 with a cheap Diablo tuner. But a quick Google search will show you it truly is a problem. Often causing cams, valves and lifters to be replaced. The oil problem starts then the mechanical issues aren't far behind.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote