Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:51 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Bat in the house with a cat

I wish Ozzie were still around for questions like this. I took my cat to the vet recently and set up an appointment to get her a rabies shot. They used the example about a bat getting in the house and I kind of laughed it off, I've never had that happen. I decided to set it up anyway since my cat is way overdue.

Well, tonight a god damn ****ing bat was in the house. I noticed my cat checking something out and immediately shooed her away and locked her in the bedroom. I got the bat in a net and threw it outside, but I have no way of knowing how long the ****er was in here and if anything happened to my cat. Do rabies vaccines also work if, on the slight chance, my cat was bitten and I get her vaccinated tomorrow? Or is she ****ed if she got it no matter what I do now?

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:14 AM   #2
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

chances are the bat didn't have it but you should have kept the bat for testing

as to the shot I don't know if it will help if exposed

does it have any cuts or bites ?
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:18 AM   #3
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Crazy! I don’t think vaccines work if your pet already contracted it, but the odds are in your favor that your cat didn’t get bit.

How overdue was she? Rabies vaccines provide immunity for much longer than the recommended cadence of shots.

Speaking of Ozzie, what happened to him?
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:25 AM   #4
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I thought of keeping it after the fact, wasn't exactly top on my mind at midnight though. I don't see any blood or bites on my cat.

I thought if you get them vaccinated immediately before symptoms they'd be ok.

And she is very overdo.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:27 AM   #5
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I'd definitely follow up with a vet, I remember a bat flew into the floor of the dorm I was living in during undergrad and they went around talking to people on the floor to be sure people were up on their vaccinations because just potential contact with it was considered enough to be a risk.

I agree it's unlikely your cat got something from it, but it sounds like it's worth a vet followup/consultation.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:43 AM   #6
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

In humans the vaccine works before the symptoms actually show. And this grace period is like 3 weeks after getting bit/scratched, so if it's similar in cats then a vaccine will prevent rabies even if they got bitten the day before.
nutcrackr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2019, 05:40 AM   #7
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I think you’ll be okay. Doesn’t sound like she got tangled up with it. The bat was probably scared shitless and stayed near the ceilings to avoid getting clawed
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2019, 06:37 AM   #8
Ryo-Ohki
Cabbit

Ryo-Ohki is still being judged by the masses

Same as the rest... Also, cats are surprisingly adept at catching bats. So if you were able to release the bat alive... Most likely they didn't come close enough for bites to occur.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 07:36 AM   #9
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
In humans the vaccine works before the symptoms actually show. And this grace period is like 3 weeks after getting bit/scratched, so if it's similar in cats then a vaccine will prevent rabies even if they got bitten the day before.
Right, that's what I kept reading too but there's zero damn info about how that translate to pets. The bat was on the floor in the corner when I saw it, then started flying around after that. This is perfect timing because I have to go to an Express Care place myself since I came down with something and have zero voice, so it'll be fun explaining everything to everyone.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:41 PM   #10
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Go to the vet, get your cat the rabies shot and they will quarantine the cat for a couple of weeks. Get yourself to a doctor and get the rabies shot.

Do.Not.Assume that you have not been bitten, scratched, whatever. Fluid contact on barely broken skin is all it takes. A bunch of shots in the arm is better than being dead.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2019, 02:36 PM   #11
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I dunno man, being dead sounds pretty ****ing awesome
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2019, 03:15 PM   #12
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

This sounds like a Dr. Seuss book. Bat in the Flat with a Cat.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2019, 03:29 PM   #13
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The title sounds like a Dr. Suess book.

EDIT: DAMMIT MUNKUS!

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2019, 03:58 PM   #14
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I grew up in a 100yo farm house. We would have to "remove" 2-3 bats a year.
Had barn cats and house cats that never got shots or were infected with rabies.

Human Rabies. Human rabies cases in the United States are rare, with only 1 to 3 cases reported annually. Twenty-three cases of human rabies have been reported in the United States in the past decade (2008-2017). Eight of these were contracted outside of the U.S. and its territories.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 04:09 PM   #15
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post

Human Rabies. Human rabies cases in the United States are rare, with only 1 to 3 cases reported annually. Twenty-three cases of human rabies have been reported in the United States in the past decade (2008-2017). Eight of these were contracted outside of the U.S. and its territories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2019, 04:49 PM   #16
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post

You missed the part where up to 60k people a year in just the US get the rabies post exposure shot. The 1 to 3 people are the people who didn't know or didn't think they could get rabies. Also, a third of people on that list only had contact exposure, no bites. Rabies is not rare, our massive and extensive vaccination efforts contain it well enough to make it appear rare.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2019, 01:06 PM   #17
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
You missed the part where up to 60k people a year in just the US get the rabies post exposure shot. The 1 to 3 people are the people who didn't know or didn't think they could get rabies. Also, a third of people on that list only had contact exposure, no bites. Rabies is not rare, our massive and extensive vaccination efforts contain it well enough to make it appear rare.
Good thing it's contained too, because rabies has a near 100% mortality rate once symptoms appear.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2019, 04:28 PM   #18
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

I think Ozzie is on Reddit. u/OzzieBloke777 do you want me to DM him this thread?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2019, 04:51 PM   #19
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
I think Ozzie is on Reddit. u/OzzieBloke777 do you want me to DM him this thread?
Nah, but thanks. Wound up taking her to the ER vet the next day, they checked her over and couldn't find evidence of bites but said they'd give her a booster. Came back a a minute later and said they were so new they didn't have the vaccine yet and didn't charge for the visit. Then I called my normal vet and got her an appointment yesterday to get her 1 year rabies vaccine and they agreed all looked ok.

I will say, even though she doesn't look or act her age at all (13), I hate hearing them say "oh she's getting up there, huh?". These vet visits made her mortality a reality. She's in perfect health but now I'm worrying every day that she's just going to regress over night or something.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:20 AM   #20
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Bat in the House With a Cat and a Fat Mouse with a Rat.

Can I have some Green Eggs and Ham now?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:31 AM   #21
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Old Jul 4, 2019, 05:21 PM   #22
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2019, 06:59 PM   #23
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

LOL!!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote