Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 11, 2018, 05:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default And so, the next step for thread ripper reveals itself....

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62479...-13/index.html

August 13th launch date for both the 24 core / 48 thread and 32 core / 64 thread versions, with the clock speeds actually slightly higher than the current versions at 3.4 Ghz base / 4 Ghz all core turbo / 4.2 Ghz single core max and while prices weren't discussed, it seems that the 24 core version could be as low as 999$ which is an amazing value for the number of cores involved......The higher end 32 core is a tougher call since there's absolutely nothing on Intel's side that even remotely competes.

Intel plans on releasing a 22 core / 44 thread CPU on the existing X299 socket 2066 by the end of the year, so at least it can be a close fight with the 24 core TR, but there's nothing to compete against the 32 core variant ( no, not the joke that the 28 core socket 3647 using sub zero cooling was.... :P ), so the price that AMD may set for the 32 core one might not be too friendly, we'll see.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:00 AM   #2
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

True, but try buying a complete Threadripper workstation today from a major OEM. Other than a Dell Alienware rig your choices are DIY or pre-built from a boutique shop.

Benchmarks should be interesting since 2 dies lack active memory controllers and will really push Infinity Fabric traffic.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:44 AM   #3
shadow001

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
True, but try buying a complete Threadripper workstation today from a major OEM. Other than a Dell Alienware rig your choices are DIY or pre-built from a boutique shop.

Benchmarks should be interesting since 2 dies lack active memory controllers and will really push Infinity Fabric traffic.

Indeed...I'm trying to get the fastest DDR4 ram I can get with the lowest possible latency and i got my eye on some Corsair dominator 3466Mhz ram (16-18-18-36 )…..Any speed above this comes with higher timings, no matter the brand.

In any case, that will be the main advantage of the Epyc version of the same chip since it'll basically have 8 memory channels to play with even if they are lower speed and one is forced to use ECC, rather than 4 like thread ripper, but still, my current setup isn't hurting too bad on memory bandwidth...…

https://imgur.com/lhH0Xlw

If the memory controller on the 2nd generation is further improved and can hold 3466 on all 4 channels, I might actually pop 100 GB/sec....

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 12, 2018, 01:51 PM   #4
shadow001

Forgot to mention that the maximum speed supported by the motherboard bios is DDR4 3600Mhz, so there's no point in going any higher unless i'm sure I could find a model that operates at higher speed, but keep it at 3600 mhz and much lower timings than 16-18-18-36....Corsair Dominators can usually do just that, as only the best memory chips make it into that product line.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 05:06 AM   #5
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yeh tighter timings are the key. Beyond 3600 is just silly without timings to match. I currently have dominators at 13-14-14-34 1T 3400mhz with 8700k, and it is glorious for gaming. Would love to play with Ryzen(2?) with these memory sticks.