Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Dec 13, 2010, 01:22 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

AMD AMD Catalyst 2011 Preview & Image Quality Investigation @ Rage3D.com

AMD recently teased that Catalyst 10.12 'will be huge'. One reason is revealed today, with a brand new Catalyst Control Center. Check out CCC's new look and feel, then read on as Rage3D investigates 'Shimmer Gate' - comparing AMD & Nvidia's filtering and texture quality techniques.

AMD Catalyst 2011 Preview & Image Quality Investigation @ Rage3D.com
Old Dec 13, 2010, 02:34 AM   #2
Cartel
Radeon HD 280X

Cartel is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies

This one looks like the best.....

Old Dec 13, 2010, 02:46 AM   #3
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post

The old, simple, everything on one tab (Well 2, for each of the 3d rendering modes) before it became a colorful, pretty i suppose bloated version that it is known now.

And to think prior to the above implementation, the sliders had big ugly blue radio buttons.....making it look very amateurish lol.

This whole article got me thinking.....

Stop the freaking optimizations, make the hardware properly (And compensate by making making it that much more powerful), dont cut any corners and no one would be able to dissect anything when they go looking for issues. Then this becomes a nonissue.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset

Last edited by Sasquach : Dec 13, 2010 at 02:54 AM.
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:21 AM   #4
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

great and very informative article one of the better (best) that looks at image quality and the reasoning behind the decisions to use settings in a very subjective manner.

LUPEDIT: TROLLING REMOVED.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:58 AM   #5
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Cool article. However, I never quite understood 2 things.

a) Why is it so hard for individuals to move from Quality to High Quality settings and why is there so much talk about the default settings.
b) Why do ATi / nVidia default the frickin' driver to Quality settings.

KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 05:04 AM   #6
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Not sure, I always enable High Quality myself.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 05:06 AM   #7
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

AMD doing a user friendly control panel?
If these drivers also work good then Hell has officially frozen over

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 05:17 AM   #8
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Great article
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:27 AM   #9
Hardwood
Radeon Evergreen

Hardwood is still being judged by the masses

Hopefully Cat 10.12's CCC2 is better (debugged) than the 8.80's. I left a comment in that thread.
<---Computer #1 in System Specs Button

Computer #2) MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 Ram (R938G2130U1K), Antec 750w True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Black, Win 10pro x64
Computer#3) GA-MA790FX, AMD 955, Thermaltake 550w, ASUS HD5870, Win10pro x86
Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:51 AM   #10
jam2k

jam2k is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by demowhc View Post
Great article
+1
jam2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:31 AM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Great article
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam2k View Post
+1
Thanks
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:49 AM   #12
DOXau
Random Lurker

DOXau is still being judged by the masses

Yeh great article, btw the mlaa tool download link is broken. I managed to grab it earlier somewhere, but all i got was a pink strip on converting pngs with my 4870x2..sure its just using the cpu? (maybe i downloaded a trojan instead :P)
DOXau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:01 AM   #13
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Great article
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam2k View Post
+1
Best work ever guys!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:34 AM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOXau View Post
Yeh great article, btw the mlaa tool download link is broken. I managed to grab it earlier somewhere, but all i got was a pink strip on converting pngs with my 4870x2..sure its just using the cpu? (maybe i downloaded a trojan instead :P)
should be fixed now, and yes is pure CPU.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:34 AM   #15
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Well written article caveman. Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOXau View Post
Url updated. Sorry about that!

Download MLAA Tool
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:36 AM   #16
DOXau
Random Lurker

DOXau is still being judged by the masses

Ta, altho still getting just a blank png with a pink strip up top on conversion like before.

edit, just tried it on my old fileserver with a nvidia gpu and it crashes, so im guessing its hooking into ati directcompute 5 on the gpu still?

Last edited by DOXau : Dec 13, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
DOXau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:36 AM   #17
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Cool article. However, I never quite understood 2 things.

a) Why is it so hard for individuals to move from Quality to High Quality settings and why is there so much talk about the default settings.
b) Why do ATi / nVidia default the frickin' driver to Quality settings.

lol. If you are seeing your CCC was set to Quality from High Quality, then change it.

Mine always set High Quality all the time and I didn't touch it especially when I had no problem installed the newer driver after uninstalled old driver and ATI registeries in safe mode.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:53 AM   #18
shane_p
Radeon HD 5970

shane_p is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post

yah great article! thanks
and yes I think this one also looks the best...well if cleaned up a little
RIG#1
980x @ 4.42Ghz 24/7 under water 2x Rads, Gigabyte X58-UD9 mobo
590 GTX Hydro Copper, 12GB DDR3 4x OCZ SSD/RAID 0, X-FI, 1500watt Strider, MOZART TX case
http://s755.photobucket.com/albums/x...x%20and%20UD9/
RIG#2
i7 920 @4.2Ghz, X58-UD3R, XFX 5970, 6GB DDR3, 850watt Corsair, Antec 900
http://s755.photobucket.com/albums/x...%20920%20HTPC/
shane_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:56 AM   #19
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

Wee syntax err. I agree with the idea though.

Quote:
page 3

CCC Improvements We'd Like To See
The advanced mode should have fewer submenus and but more settings in a 'single pane of glass' window under each grouping.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:23 PM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

congrats you get a cookie

Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:19 PM   #21
Ralf5
Radeon R100

Ralf5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
To get MLAA screenshots you must use a tool from AMD that takes your original screen capture and applies the MLAA technique.

This part is wrong. RadeonPro is able to take screenshots with MLAA preserved. Even the print button does work sometimes (some only in window mode)
Ralf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:48 PM   #22
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Great article, thanks.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:49 PM   #23
Risco
Radeon R300

Risco is still being judged by the masses

Questions:
  1. Why do I still get a pink hue when selecting EDID for my display?
  2. Why can I not install CC2 on my mobility 5800?
  3. Why no MLAA option for mobility?
System is a N61JQ with ATI 5700 mobility.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:55 PM   #24
EfrainMan
Radeon R520

EfrainMan is still being judged by the masses

I never knew Adaptive and Super AA didn't work in DX10/11. What the hell? Urgh
EfrainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:06 PM   #25
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfrainMan View Post
I never knew Adaptive and Super AA didn't work in DX10/11. What the hell? Urgh
Always been that way on AMD hardware
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:09 PM   #26
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Adaptive works, but the Transparency doesn't; adaptive moves the sample locations around based on detection of textures etc. So it doesn't add TSAA but it does potentially increase performance/quality, depending (vs. just MSAA).
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:27 PM   #27
Auric
Bananad

It seems the option for accelerated viddy conversion via drag 'n' drop is not included.

Frankly, I would never have guessed this is the product of a design company of so-called experts in usability and User Interface design.

Greatest improvement: no splash by default or otherwise.

-
Neither Transcoding nor HydraVision are included, despite being shown in the review.

Last edited by Auric : Dec 13, 2010 at 07:29 PM.
Auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:30 PM   #28
Auric
Bananad

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
congrats you get a cookie

Cookies? Oh, now I see them.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:17 PM   #29
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric View Post
It seems the option for accelerated viddy conversion via drag 'n' drop is not included.

Frankly, I would never have guessed this is the product of a design company of so-called experts in usability and User Interface design.

Greatest improvement: no splash by default or otherwise.

-
Neither Transcoding nor HydraVision are included, despite being shown in the review.
Which install options did you use? Are you running Windows 7?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:21 AM   #30
Auric
Bananad

W7 x64, custom install (all selected).

However, the folders DnDTranscoding, DnDTranscoding64, and HydraVision simply do not exist under:

\Catalyst_10.12_CCC2_Preview_Win7_Dec7\Packages\Apps