Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:11 AM   #1111
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I've been using the 8bitdo SNES 30 which supports switch and motion controls. Works wonderfully.

Mario Maker 2 is great so far, been enjoying it.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2019, 04:12 AM   #1112
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I want a controller refresh, it would be nice to have a good dpad.
I agree, I bought a USB adapter to use my Wii u pro controller. Much better
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2019, 06:32 PM   #1113
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Fire Emblem:Three Houses releases on 7.26.

Quote:
Fire Emblem: Three Houses offers 200+ hours of gameplay
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rs-of-gameplay

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 8, 2019, 05:29 PM   #1114
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

I really miss 100 Mario challenge. Don't know why they cut that out. Endless has it's charm but I find myself skipping fun levels that I wouldn't be in 100 Mario.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 07:58 AM   #1115
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

https://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-swit...ber-1836239070

This thing is ****ing ridiculous. You're spending $199 on a Switch that can't do motion controlled gaming, has no TV output. If you want to play motion control games (like that little known title Super Mario Odyssey) you have to pair joycons to it. If you're spending that much on this, have to buy joycons to get full functionality, why not buy a full Switch and get TV mode and a dock for the extra $30? This thing makes no real sense.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 08:53 AM   #1116
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I held off a long time to buy the Switch because I kept thinking they were going to announce an awesome improved refresh of the console and I'd regret it.

Well I didn't want to wait anymore since wanting to get it for my son for doing well in school this year so I just bought it last month. Happy to now say I'm glad I didn't wait.

I was also hearing all the rumors of it being a mini-version that could not connect to the TV which pretty much sealed the deal for me anyways.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 08:59 AM   #1117
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

This thing is ****ing ridiculous. You're spending $199 on a Switch that can't do motion controlled gaming, has no TV output. If you want to play motion control games (like that little known title Super Mario Odyssey) you have to pair joycons to it. If you're spending that much on this, have to buy joycons to get full functionality, why not buy a full Switch and get TV mode and a dock for the extra $30? This thing makes no real sense.
Kind of like the first 2DS (which was more or less a permanently stuck open cheaper 3DS without the 3D portion....making it big and square and unpocketable…..somewhat compromisings its portability).

This thing basically replaces the 3DS does it not? Pretty much allows them to fully transition to the switch brand.
I can see where the market is for this. Where the full switch is the one you keep at home (and take with you in a pinch to say a friends house or something), the Switch pro is the one you keep in your suitcase/backpack/big purse for when you go travelling somewhere.

The added bonus is that you don't need to have separate game titles for your portable device, just take the switch cartridges with you and continue your progress I would think....(if saves are interchangeable)

I guess they could have done better on the portability side though (battery life still seems to suck, not that much better than the Switch).
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 09:09 AM   #1118
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I held off a long time to buy the Switch because I kept thinking they were going to announce an awesome improved refresh of the console and I'd regret it.

Well I didn't want to wait anymore since wanting to get it for my son for doing well in school this year so I just bought it last month. Happy to now say I'm glad I didn't wait.

I was also hearing all the rumors of it being a mini-version that could not connect to the TV which pretty much sealed the deal for me anyways.
Im in the same boat, but im willing to wait a bit longer since the titles I want to play are going to be coming out next year.

Keep in mind there were 2 rumors. This switch lite and the switch "pro" with the enhanced performance.
The Switch Lite has been confirmed now, but the "pro" is still a mystery and could still come out, likely later or next year.

Last edited by Sasquach : Jul 10, 2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 09:22 AM   #1119
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I'm not sure a "Switch Pro" is even coming now. I just don't think Nintendo sees a need for it.

They don't need to compete with Sony and MS. They are doing just fine competing with the less powerful console, proving its the games and portability that matter not processing power. Only need for a Switch Pro would be to have ports of the higher end 3rd party titles, but I just don't think its really that big of a need for them. If they do release a new version of the current Switch, I'd guess it would just have better battery life and more internal memory.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 09:37 AM   #1120
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Make an official joycon with that dpad Nintendo.

PLZ!
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 09:38 AM   #1121
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I'm not sure a "Switch Pro" is even coming now. I just don't think Nintendo sees a need for it.

They don't need to compete with Sony and MS. They are doing just fine competing with the less powerful console, proving its the games and portability that matter not processing power. Only need for a Switch Pro would be to have ports of the higher end 3rd party titles, but I just don't think its really that big of a need for them. If they do release a new version of the current Switch, I'd guess it would just have better battery life and more internal memory.
THey wont need it now, or later for that matter, but it could still come out if and when the need for a refresh arises.

They DID refresh the 3DS at some point (stupidly naming it "new 3DS") and it WAS a more powerful and slightly more capable version of the 3DS with some "new 3DS" only compatible titles.

Then again they never really did a performance refresh any of their consoles...…
-NES and SNES just got physical makeovers near the end of life,
-I guess the Wii could be considered a gamecube refresh of sorts (it was basically 2x gamecubes duct taped together....lol).
-The Wii got a mini version near the end of life, but that was just a cheaper less capability version.
-Wii-U never got a refresh (no point given how badly it tanked).
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:11 AM   #1122
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quite frankly I'm shocked they announced this without a greatest hits collection. This thing will never replace the DS/3ds if all first party games are $60. Ffs they want $60 for a pretty barebones remake of a 30 year old Gameboy game.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:12 AM   #1123
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Make an official joycon with that dpad Nintendo.

PLZ!
As long as it's a better dpad than what's on the pro controller. I'll take separate buttons over that.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:43 AM   #1124
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

What is wrong with the pro controller d-pad? Seriously asking, I haven't tried it yet.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:21 PM   #1125
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

It'll register unintended movements pretty commonly. For example playing Tetris when moving left and right it'll also register down and drop a block.

One fix pulling the controller apart and putting some tape on half of the contacts. It works but the dpad still feels pretty mushy.

It's a big step down from the Wii u dpad.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:37 PM   #1126
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

It just occurred to me, but this Switch Lite is pretty much a Nintendo switch in a Wii-U Tablet controller chassis. The obvious difference is that the Wii-U tablet controller is just that...a controller with a large screen, whereas the Switch Lite is the entire Switch system.

Ive been reading about how some people are wondering if motion controls work lol.....(like in BOTW shrine puzzles).

They obviously never used a Wii-U.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 01:34 PM   #1127
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:

They should have included tv out functionality. As you can always buy separate joycons, this would make the switch lite a perfect entry-level console. The lack of tv functionality is a bit strange.

Last week we visited family outside Portland. We spent a significant amount of time in 2ds lan parties with cousins. Each of my boys have a 2ds, and a bunch of the cousins too. I also happen to have 2 3ds XLs ("new" and non-new), so overall i think we had maybe 9 handhelds total, which made for awesome games of Mario Kart, Mario Party, Pokemon, & Smash Bros.

The fact that you can get a 2ds for under $100 makes a gigantic difference, and makes these consoles nearly ubiquitous. I'd love to see some kind of switch hardware in that price range someday, as it really opens up a ton of new possibilities.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 01:54 PM   #1128
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
It'll register unintended movements pretty commonly. For example playing Tetris when moving left and right it'll also register down and drop a block.

One fix pulling the controller apart and putting some tape on half of the contacts. It works but the dpad still feels pretty mushy.

It's a big step down from the Wii u dpad.
Shame they would screw that up. All they had to do was reuse the d-pad design from the Wii U pro controller.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:06 AM   #1129
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
It just occurred to me, but this Switch Lite is pretty much a Nintendo switch in a Wii-U Tablet controller chassis. The obvious difference is that the Wii-U tablet controller is just that...a controller with a large screen, whereas the Switch Lite is the entire Switch system.

Ive been reading about how some people are wondering if motion controls work lol.....(like in BOTW shrine puzzles).

They obviously never used a Wii-U.
I'm sure it work for some of the BOTW stuff, but throwing Cappy in Mario Odyssey? No thanks to that.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:31 AM   #1130
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
I'm sure it work for some of the BOTW stuff, but throwing Cappy in Mario Odyssey? No thanks to that.
I'd imagine any kind of joycon throwing motion can be done using the touchscreen by swiping on it.

It's how its done on the Wii-U when not using the wiimotes. (Like in Pikmin3, swipe the direction on the tablet screen you want to toss the pikmin)
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:48 AM   #1131
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I don't think having to take your hands off the controls would work well for Mario Odyssey.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 06:29 PM   #1132
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Mario Odyssey plays fine without motion controls. There's only a couple of optional actions that require them. It's kindof perfect for the switch lite.

I kindof hate the gimmicky control gimmicks that nintendo often does, like in Mario Galaxy for example, where the vast majority of the game would work fine without motion controls but you still need them for 5%. We deserve an HD Mario Galaxy release, and we can't get it 'cause of the stupid wiimote controls.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:36 AM   #1133
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

A good portion of sales of the Lite will be people that already have a Switch so they will not need to buy extra joy cons to play games that need them. They will just use the Lite as the kids machine and portable unit from now on.

I am more interested in the Pro unit coming out in 2020 and what ever that might bring to the table. Hoping for improved Bluetooth specs and maybe 1080p performance in portable mode. ^_^
Old Jul 15, 2019, 09:26 AM   #1134
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Ordered Super Mario Maker 2 with the 1yr of online service today. Should have it Thursday, need to make more time to game before I go crazier.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 02:09 PM   #1135
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

A Switch hardware revision has just been announced, with longer battery life as the key thing (4.5 - 9 hrs)

So its most likely getting the same slightly upgraded (suspected die shrink) SoC used in the Switch Lite.

Funny enough, it actually has longer rated battery life than the Switch Lite (3-7hrs). Im guessing this is attributed to a different battery capacity size between the two units.

Mid-august is the date that the new units are supposed to be out.
im going to hope that when I do get my switch, it'll be one of the newer units rather than the first revision ones lol.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:47 AM   #1136
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Hmm, that marvel game looks like it was in a need of a pro model, seems like it runs like trash in handheld and just ok in docked.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2019, 06:48 PM   #1137
The Luggage
Life is Good

The Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird sings

I'm waiting for Castle Crashers remastered. Supposed to be out sometime this summer.
The Luggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:11 PM   #1138
ragewars_sc
Radeon Southern Islands

ragewars_sc is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Everything related to switch is ****ing ridiculous... think about it.. you pay ps4 pro price and get 60% of an Xbox one... )))))) But if people buy.. well... to bad for us that want Nintendo to keep the pace and offer us more than a 480p( of maybe 680p) game in today's fidelity standard.
Is even worse when u know nvidia is selling the same hardware at double the speed for cpu and gpu and with a real controler( no screen and no stupid motion controllers) at 180...
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:18 PM   #1139
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragewars_sc View Post
Everything related to switch is ****ing ridiculous... think about it.. you pay ps4 pro price and get 60% of an Xbox one... )))))) But if people buy.. well... to bad for us that want Nintendo to keep the pace and offer us more than a 480p( of maybe 680p) game in today's fidelity standard.
Is even worse when u know nvidia is selling the same hardware at double the speed for cpu and gpu and with a real controler( no screen and no stupid motion controllers) at 180...
Sorry but you sound incredibly out of touch here, or maybe just trolling?

If you're comparing consoles strictly by processing power you are missing the point entirely. Can you take an Xbox One or PS4 pro portable? No. Nintendo offers a different gaming experience with the Switch, with different kinds of games. You cant really compare it to the other consoles on hardware specs alone, its much more than that.

If the Switch is not for you that's fine. But no reason to just bash it because its not as powerful as other consoles. You sound like a 12 year old.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 08:21 AM   #1140
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

With Nintendo its all about the games, I have a switch which I bought for games like Zelda, Mario, yoshi. The games are different then the standard fare on other consoles.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote