Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jul 4, 2020, 03:02 AM   #1051
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
the 290x did nicely and crossfire worked well on them at 1600p

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/...290x-review/15
Yeah... That was 7 years ago bill...
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2020, 03:34 AM   #1052
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Yeah... That was 7 years ago bill...
is not never

and if NV is on samsung and a larger node

i think AMD has a good change of doing it again this time
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2020, 04:28 AM   #1053
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I'm not so sure yet. AMD has had the better specs on paper before, and then fell extremely short of the mark.

We already know that smaller node does not automatically translate into the highest performance. Intel chips were still slapping around the first 7nm Ryzen chips (until the 3000 series, really) in gaming workloads. As far as I've read, Samsung's 8nm process is pretty well developed and quite reliable. I don't really see much evidence that going with Samsung for fab will hurt NV.

I do think this comes to a larger issue though. TSMC needs competition and someone needs to step up.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 4, 2020, 04:50 AM   #1054
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I'm not so sure yet. AMD has had the better specs on paper before, and then fell extremely short of the mark.

We already know that smaller node does not automatically translate into the highest performance. Intel chips were still slapping around the first 7nm Ryzen chips (until the 3000 series, really) in gaming workloads. As far as I've read, Samsung's 8nm process is pretty well developed and quite reliable. I don't really see much evidence that going with Samsung for fab will hurt NV.

I do think this comes to a larger issue though. TSMC needs competition and someone needs to step up.
they said the same with vega 64 on Samsung's 14nm
Old Jul 4, 2020, 06:51 AM   #1055
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
The 14nm process was known to be far worse than TSMCs 14nm, if I'm not mistaken. Samsung's 8nm, as far as I've read, has been much more successful. NV has been more efficient on the same process than AMD has in the past, as well.

I wouldn't take this news as negative just yet. This could help NV manage a price war since they won't be overpaying for TSMC.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:24 AM   #1056
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Bill you're just gonna end up buying a 3090 anyway despite badmouthing it, the process, and the price.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:13 PM   #1057
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

My wallet is ready. I hope vendors release cards with blocks day one this time, and have more than one in stock.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:21 PM   #1058
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Wish the AIB cards are available on day 1.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:25 PM   #1059
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Bill you're just gonna end up buying a 3090 anyway despite badmouthing it, the process, and the price.
not if AMD come thru

if navi 2x is 25% to 50% faster than a 2080 ti that will be fine
Old Jul 4, 2020, 03:19 PM   #1060
Cream
Radeon R600

Cream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
not if AMD come thru

if navi 2x is 25% to 50% faster than a 2080 ti that will be fine
Wow that's a big if. Nice if you where right. There is some desperate need of competition at the top.
16GB Corsair DDR4 ,1TB 970 EVO plus / SSD 850 evo / 2TB hybrid drive for games, 1TB storage drive
Zowie FK1, Oculus CV1, Logitech G920, black widow Ultimate, Xbox one pad. Saitec X-55 H.O.T.A.S.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2020, 04:03 PM   #1061
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Wow that's a big if. Nice if you where right. There is some desperate need of competition at the top.
not that big

Quote:
Big Navi / RDNA 2 at a Glance
Specs
Up to 80 CU / 5120 GPU cores
Performance
50% better performance per watt
Release Date
End of 2020 (if there are no delays)
Price
Unknown (but almost certainly higher than RX 5700 XT)
2 times the CU's and cores of a 5700 xt or more and 50% better performance per watt
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...-6900-xt.c3481

5700 xt
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...-5700-xt.c3339

and the 5700 xt is 225 watt TDP and very close to a 2080 non ti in performance

navi 2x should be 300 watt TDP or maybe more since NV is going 350 TDP on the 3090
Old Jul 5, 2020, 11:47 AM   #1062
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Bill stop your bitching and moaning, go get your shoulder broke coz that 3090 ain’t gonna pay for itself.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:02 PM   #1063
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Bill stop your bitching and moaning, go get your shoulder broke coz that 3090 ain’t gonna pay for itself.
😆

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:33 PM   #1064
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
😆

Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:47 PM   #1065
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Looking forward to the big match later this year.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2020, 04:24 PM   #1066
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I don't think Vega's problem was the process, it was that it just that the design didn't clock high enough (thus forcing them to push insane voltages to be competitive). Of course, I suppose the process could have affected that.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2020, 05:06 PM   #1067
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I don't think Vega's problem was the process, it was that it just that the design didn't clock high enough (thus forcing them to push insane voltages to be competitive). Of course, I suppose the process could have affected that.
well Vega 64 was 350 watts and so is the 3090 from all reports

the 2080 ti is 250 w TDP and can heat up the room a good bit

for a 40% increase in power draw and a new node it better have have a lot better than the normal 35% performance increase that we have gotten the last few new ti's

because if it is just the normal 35% performance increase and 350 watts it is a fail just as bad as Vega 64
and not just mostly a ray tracing side performance increase like some reports
Old Jul 5, 2020, 05:42 PM   #1068
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
the 290x did nicely and crossfire worked well on them at 1600p

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/...290x-review/15
Amd was performance competitive but Nvidia simply lowered prices of the Gtx 780 and 770, while introducing the Gtx 780ti to easily compete and still retain its strengths.

Looking for a more balanced architecture from Amd this time, than the Hawaii generation from Amd.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 08:40 PM   #1069
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think 290X was competitive enough. All the reviewers made a big deal about how it ran "hot", but strangely enough almost every GPU now runs at those temps. If that was their low water mark things would have been fine, it's just each generation after that it just got worse. Fury was just borderline competitive with the 980 Ti, and didn't have enough VRAM. Vega was atrocious as they shipped it, but honestly think the mistake they made was not binning the chips more aggressively. Just put the best ones out as gaming GPUs and run at 1000 or 1050mv instead of 1200mv and you actually have a decent product. Then just sell the others as workstation cards. But it is what it is.

Hopefully things are different this time around...but it seems like we won't know for another couple of months yet.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote