Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old May 25, 2009, 12:10 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
exitwound
Radeon R420

exitwound is still being judged by the masses

I fixed this which was causing a fuel geyser on the fuel rail in the Porsche:

exitwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 01:14 PM   #182
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

In the last two weeks I have broken more than I've fixed... but I have rotated the tyres on Caveboy Sr's jeep, replaced the front brake pads (and a caliper cos the damn bleeder snapped) as well as the thermostat.

For my truck I have replaced the cat o2 sensor, replaced the spark plugs, and paid a lot of money for a new catalytic convertor. Tuesday I'm hoping to get new tyres, mine have dry rotted and the rears are bald.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 01:17 AM   #183
SeRRasalmus
Radeon R520

SeRRasalmus is still being judged by the masses

done the driver side ball joint tonight......

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy SH&!...what a ride"
SeRRasalmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 26, 2009, 07:50 AM   #184
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Sunday I changed my brakes, and yesterday I bled the lines.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 08:48 PM   #185
Dandingo
Momma says I'm big boned.

Dandingo is still being judged by the masses

40,000 mile service:

Oil Change, Front tires balanced and all 4 rotated, Engine air filter changed and all fluids topped off along with a compete 27-point inspection for my Toyota Highlander.....$49.95 at my Toyota Dealership.
EVGA GeForce GTX 285 (648/1476/2484)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

[XBOX 360 250GB Slim + Kinect] [PS3 Slim 160GB]
Dandingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 08:53 PM   #186
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Changed my spark plugs and re-glued the gray plastic trim strip on the driver side of my car that was peeling off at the front... Gorilla Glue
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 09:12 PM   #187
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Waxed my car. It was my first time waxing a car ever.
lighting up the dark.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 11:25 PM   #188
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDoom View Post
Waxed my car. It was my first time waxing a car ever.

Shame on you!
Old May 27, 2009, 10:38 AM   #189
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

On sunday I got more of my stuff installed:

MPx 3" Turbo back exhaust (w/ 3" o2 housing and catless downpipe_
Walbro high flow fuel pump
AGP fuel return line w/ Aeromotive Fuel Pressure regulator
AEM UEGO Wideband Gauge & o2 sensor
Bwoody Solid Motor and Tranny mounts
Apexi SAFC Neo fuel controller

Pics & vids will come soon..
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 04:22 PM   #190
sMashPiranha
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sMashPiranha is still being judged by the masses

I started it up

My Statesman isn't allowed on the road at the moment, so I just clear out the exhausts every month or 2 and make sure the engine is still ticking over

I made a vid of it this time to test my new camera
sMashPiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:04 PM   #191
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Got my Hedman Chikara header installed yesterday. Bought it quite a while ago but haven't gotten around to putting it on. What a job that was. There was lots of smoke as the factory anti-rust coating burned off I rigged up my own hanger for the exhaust pipe pre-cat until I can get something a bit more substantial to hold it.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead

Last edited by DeathKnight : Jun 7, 2009 at 04:26 PM.
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:59 PM   #192
The Luggage
Life is Good

The Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird sings

Finally got around to installing an intake.

The Luggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:19 PM   #193
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

R32!!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:38 PM   #194
thedoug
Radeon Evergreen

thedoug is still being judged by the masses

Default 1996 Thunderbird LX 3.8L

I added 2 support struts to my car's trunk to hold it open
here is a picture of what they look like, there is one on the other side of the trunk too.

Code:
Intel i7 980X
6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT 1600MHz 6-6-6-20
2x EVGA Geforce GTX 480
Asus Rampage III Extreme
4x WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB RAID5
Samsung SH-S223 DVD+RW
Onkyo Receiver
Klipsch 5.1 speakers
Antec 1200 watt PSU
Mitsubish WD-60638 60 inch TV
Logitech K800 wireless backlit keyboard
Logitech M570 wireless trackball mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit

Quote:
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
thedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 07:08 PM   #195
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Not my car, but I did ALL the work, so I'm posting it. This was my weekend project:

What a beefy intercooler, its a 4" thick core. It came with no instructions, I had to figure everything out as I went along. Its a good thing I'm familiar with turbochargers, or itd have taken longer. My friend is completely cartarded, hence him not doing anything... Had to chop up the bumper to fit it too... He owes me big now! The new BOV has a really cool flutter, instead of the normal "PSSSHHHH", which sounds really cool. It also seems to have gained some power. Now he needs a tune, but first, replacing the front brake pads!

Last edited by Elysian : Jun 14, 2009 at 07:10 PM.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:51 PM   #196
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Nice work man, love it!

One question though. That flutter, from what I understand isn't always a good thing. We get a lot of fluttering on our Sky RedLine, and even more so now with the boost cranked to 22psi. What we found out is that the stock compressor bypass valve spring is extremely weak. The fluttering is the valve opening/closing under boost when the spring is suppose to hold it tight. It leaks boost pressure. This is pretty common with the LNF setups and there are aftermarket spring kits you can use to replace the weak factory spring to eliminate this and boost leak. We haven't done ours yet, but will be. Instead of the fluttering noise it will be a nice crisp sound.

Is the flutter you're hearing similar to this? I'm still learning, I'm totally new to turbos.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:22 PM   #197
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Nice work man, love it!

One question though. That flutter, from what I understand isn't always a good thing. We get a lot of fluttering on our Sky RedLine, and even more so now with the boost cranked to 22psi. What we found out is that the stock compressor bypass valve spring is extremely weak. The fluttering is the valve opening/closing under boost when the spring is suppose to hold it tight. It leaks boost pressure. This is pretty common with the LNF setups and there are aftermarket spring kits you can use to replace the weak factory spring to eliminate this and boost leak. We haven't done ours yet, but will be. Instead of the fluttering noise it will be a nice crisp sound.

Is the flutter you're hearing similar to this? I'm still learning, I'm totally new to turbos.
This only does the flutter when you let off the gas. The BOV has the stiffest spring they make in it.

Funny thing, his stock bypass valve is actually still hooked up, but not to a vacuum line, so its basically acting to plug up the line that normally runs to it

Last edited by Elysian : Jun 14, 2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:40 PM   #198
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Nice work man, love it!

flutter is air coming out back through the turbo. i didn't have a bov at all on my 200sx and that had really loud flutter
squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:51 PM   #199
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
flutter is air coming out back through the turbo. i didn't have a bov at all on my 200sx and that had really loud flutter
Then thats likely because its too stiff of a spring, he's barely running over 1 bar right now. I saw about 1.1 bar today, he says he's seen up to 1.5 bar, but I didn't see that while we were driving today.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:52 AM   #200
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Then thats likely because its too stiff of a spring, he's barely running over 1 bar right now. I saw about 1.1 bar today, he says he's seen up to 1.5 bar, but I didn't see that while we were driving today.
nah it is fine to have a bit of flutter even with a bov. if you make the bov too loose it will bleed air on full boost, so it's better to have it a bit tighter
Old Jun 15, 2009, 08:23 AM   #201
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Nice work man, love it!

Ok, when someone says they hear flutter with their turbocharged vehicle that makes me think compressor surge...which is bad.

Also, you have the boost cranked to 22psi? What kind of fuel mods are you running/what are your AFR's? Have you upgraded the exhaust? Are you using anything to monitor this to prevent knock/detonation? I am willing to bet (if you aren't tuned) that the ecu osprobably pulling serious timing too.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 08:24 AM   #202
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
nah it is fine to have a bit of flutter even with a bov. if you make the bov too loose it will bleed air on full boost, so it's better to have it a bit tighter
Really, because I don't get any flutter with my HKS SSQV.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 08:26 AM   #203
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
This only does the flutter when you let off the gas. The BOV has the stiffest spring they make in it.

Funny thing, his stock bypass valve is actually still hooked up, but not to a vacuum line, so its basically acting to plug up the line that normally runs to it
On my car you remove the stock surge valve and bolt on a block off plate.

Are you sure you shouldn't be doing the same?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:12 AM   #204
squid
Cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
Really, because I don't get any flutter with my HKS SSQV.
also depends on your intake. if it's a short metal tube you'll hear it a lot more, but if it is the standard plastic thing then you won't hear it much at all because it will muffle it
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:46 AM   #205
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
also depends on your intake. if it's a short metal tube you'll hear it a lot more, but if it is the standard plastic thing then you won't hear it much at all because it will muffle it
I have a 3" long tube CAI (LINK). If I wanted it can be converted to a short ram style (it's two pieces).

I used to hear a little bit of flutter before I did the rest of my mods.

Last edited by Clockwork : Jun 15, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:42 AM   #206
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
On my car you remove the stock surge valve and bolt on a block off plate.

Are you sure you shouldn't be doing the same?
The stock recirc valve was part of the intercooler, when you remove the intercooler for a front mount, theres nowhere to put it. The only option is to either cap off the opening that goes into the intake, or, if you don't have a cap available at the moment, just leave the recirc there, not hooked up to any vacuum lines, then it just stays shut all the time.

Last edited by Elysian : Jun 15, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:07 PM   #207
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
The stock recirc valve was part of the intercooler, when you remove the intercooler for a front mount, theres nowhere to put it. The only option is to either cap off the opening that goes into the intake, or, if you don't have a cap available at the moment, just leave the recirc there, not hooked up to any vacuum lines, then it just stays shut all the time.
That probably would have made sense if I saw the pics you posted. Images are blocked at my work for wherever they were linked from.

I don't even know what vehicle you did this to.

Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:32 PM   #208
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
That probably would have made sense if I saw the pics you posted. Images are blocked at my work for wherever they were linked from.

I don't even know what vehicle you did this to.

06 STi
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:10 PM   #209
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Ok, when someone says they hear flutter with their turbocharged vehicle that makes me think compressor surge...which is bad.
It's not compressor surge, it's a weak compresor bypass valve spring. It's a known issue and there are vendors that carry replacement kits that have that spring to prevent it.

Quote:
Also, you have the boost cranked to 22psi?
Sure do. Stock boost is 18psi. We are running a GM sanctioned tuned written by two engineers from the GM Roadster division. Those two engineers that wrote the tune flew out to Portland tuned our car and dyno'd it themselves for my wife and I. Even has full factory warranty with the aggressive tune.

Quote:
What kind of fuel mods are you running/what are your AFR's?
None, it's not needed yet. The stock fuel setup is more than enough and will be for quite some time unless we look into a turbo swap.

Quote:
Have you upgraded the exhaust?
Not, not yet. We are going to be swapping to an aftermarket catless downpipe but I don't think we'll be swapping the catback exhaust yet. We are leaving horsepower on the table by not swapping it. We are willing to sacrifice the power to not have a "ricer" sound.

Quote:
Are you using anything to monitor this to prevent knock/detonation? I am willing to bet (if you aren't tuned) that the ecu osprobably pulling serious timing too.
Car is running perfectly. No detonation or knock at all, and there won't be. ECU isn't pulling any timing. We had to stop at 22.5psi of boost because the stock ECU puts the car into limp mode when the turbo hits 23psi for more than 3 seconds to protect the turbo. Again, this is tested repeatedly by GM's own Roadster Division and it's perfectly fine and 100% safe. The LNF setup is brutal and tough as hell. It can handle a substantial amount of power in stock form and everything else on the car is also up to the task. Those with manuals have had to do clutch changes at 380+rwhp, but that's about it.

We won't be cranking the boost anymore, since we can't do that safely on the stock turbo anyway. We'll be changing the downpipe, intercooler, and intercooler piping and that's where we will most likely stop. Unless we eventually do find exhaust we like. Our end goal is ~300rwhp and 12.80's/12.90's. It will run 13.6's all day as it sits right now, being an automatic.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Jun 15, 2009 at 09:13 PM.
OverclockN' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:21 AM   #210
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

I didn't do anything yet, but I did order a new catch can from Boomba Racing...

I got the red one.