Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Dec 9, 2019, 04:47 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default This a good price? 2014 Toyota Corolla

Dealer wants $10,990.22 (tax title everything) for a 2014 Corolla with 75k miles on it. It does have some cosmetic defects, such as a slight chip on the windshield, a small dent in the drivers side portion of the body in between the wheel and driver door, and has some strange holes that look like somebody poured glue into them in the seats (I have NO idea what was going on there).

I tried getting them to come down, but they claim it's a no haggle price and won't budge. I have no given them a response. I've checked around and the price is currently the lowest offered by any dealers in the area for what it is. I did drive the car around for awhile and tested the brakes, lights, engine, signals, A/C, radio, backup camera, everything I could think of. I looked under the car while it was on after driving it and I saw no leaks. That said even if I go for it I will take it to a mechanic and have them inspect it for something I might not see if I decide to go through with it.

My other options are Nissans as they are pretty aggressively priced for 2015-2017 Sentras and Altimas, but I've never had a Nissan before and am wary especially after reading about CVT problems some of their cars have had. Howevever, the cars I'm looking at are still under warranty for at least the next 2 years on the Nissan side. Toyota is out of warranty.

Just looking for advice in whether I should pass or take it.

Some photos;

https://1720a20c83699c720ccb-9c3b93c...08d3374424.jpg

So should I snag it or hold out and check the Nissans?

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"

Last edited by xCLAVEx : Dec 9, 2019 at 04:57 PM.
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2019, 05:09 PM   #2
Fleksta
Radeon R700

Fleksta is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
strange holes that look like somebody poured glue into them.
That's exactly what they are, those holes are from cigarette burns filled with epoxy to keep the cloth from tearing further.

Looks like they are in the ballpark on price:

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...15/body-sedan/
Fleksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If your looking at Corollas I'd recommend looking for a Scion IM.
Its basically a Corolla hatchback, but has an independent rear suspension and comes with the 137hp valvematic variant of the 1.8L engine. It handles a bit better than a vanilla Corolla and it gets great gas mileage like a Corolla.
When the Scion brand bit the dust it got moved over to the Toyota Corolla lineup and became the Corolla IM.

Its a bit tighter in the rear though (shorter car) so if rear legroom is a concern you'd want to check it out first or ignore it completely. That gen corolla has a huge back seat.

They can be had for a good price, with likely lower kms/miles. A lot probably has to do with the lack of desirability of the Scion brand and lack of driver assists (before it became a thing).
It only exists in 2016 (Became a Corolla IM in 2017, and I think gained some of the aforementioned driver assists)
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 9, 2019, 05:34 PM   #4
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
If your looking at Corollas I'd recommend looking for a Scion IM.
Its basically a Corolla hatchback, but has an independent rear suspension and comes with the 137hp valvematic variant of the 1.8L engine. It handles a bit better than a vanilla Corolla and it gets great gas mileage like a Corolla.
When the Scion brand bit the dust it got moved over to the Toyota Corolla lineup and became the Corolla IM.

Its a bit tighter in the rear though (shorter car) so if rear legroom is a concern you'd want to check it out first or ignore it completely. That gen corolla has a huge back seat.

They can be had for a good price, with likely lower kms/miles. A lot probably has to do with the lack of desirability of the Scion brand and lack of driver assists (before it became a thing).
It only exists in 2016 (Became a Corolla IM in 2017, and I think gained some of the aforementioned driver assists)
Those do look sexy and the price isn't too bad either. Those are now other options, thanks.

Anybody have any experience with Nissans though?

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
Old Dec 9, 2019, 05:37 PM   #5
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
So should I snag it or hold out and check the Nissans?
Go check out the Altima, hard pass on this, way too much wrong with it.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2019, 05:43 PM   #6
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Go check out the Altima, hard pass on this, way too much wrong with it.
It's weird how it seems the Altima has some major problems but the Sentra seems to be fine.

Old Dec 9, 2019, 05:56 PM   #7
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Nissan quality is so so IMO. My infiniti was pretty good if you don't count needing a new motor at 6k miles because it was burning over 1.5 quarts of oil every thousand miles, and the airbag system going nuts at 40K miles that required the entire harness to be replaced.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2019, 06:00 PM   #8
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
It's weird how it seems the Altima has some major problems but the Sentra seems to be fine.
That's why you'll be checking it out, no?

yoz
Old Dec 9, 2019, 06:27 PM   #9
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
That's why you'll be checking it out, no?
I'm looking at all sorts of brands. Even digging into Hyundai or Kia (heard kia has come a long way in recent years).

Old Dec 9, 2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

You can probably score a VW diesel dirt cheap with next to no miles on it if you look around.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 06:47 PM   #11
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

scotty kilmer has entered chat

Old Dec 9, 2019, 07:29 PM   #12
xCLAVEx
Not gone

I decided to pass on it. The dent, chip on the windshield and holes in the seats (just what I saw) seem to be a bit much for 11k. The guy wouldn't budge on the cost, so I just left.

I found another corolla that just dropped from 10k price to 8k. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow.

Old Dec 9, 2019, 07:35 PM   #13
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

we have a 2011 corolla that i've been driving to work every morning for 3 years now. 2 of those years it would be 200km a day. it feels SO well built, like nothing else really. it's at 175,000 kms now and still so solid. no squeaks or rattles...
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2019, 07:37 PM   #14
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
I'm looking at all sorts of brands. Even digging into Hyundai or Kia (heard kia has come a long way in recent years).
Indeed they have and they got the best warranty too.

yoz
Old Dec 9, 2019, 07:38 PM   #15
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
I decided to pass on it. The dent, chip on the windshield and holes in the seats (just what I saw) seem to be a bit much for 11k. The guy wouldn't budge on the cost, so I just left.

I found another corolla that just dropped from 10k price to 8k. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow.
Good move. Would still look into a good Hyundai Elantra.

yoz
Old Dec 9, 2019, 07:54 PM   #16
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Good move. Would still look into a good Hyundai Elantra.
It is a possibility. Want a good used car that will last. Doesn't have to be exciting, just reliable. Not interested in Euro or American trash.

Old Dec 9, 2019, 08:37 PM   #17
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Dont mind the suvs on kia/hyundai but the cars I wouldnt touch. Corolla will last you 300k easy. Its a higher price bought used or new but it saves you in maintenance in the long run.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2019, 09:46 PM   #18
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Dont mind the suvs on kia/hyundai but the cars I wouldnt touch. Corolla will last you 300k easy. Its a higher price bought used or new but it saves you in maintenance in the long run.
Not really interested in an SUV right now, small car is best. What is wrong with hyundai and kia cars? They seem to all have decent reviews (except perhaps for hyundais crash rating).

Old Dec 9, 2019, 09:54 PM   #19
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Quote:
Not really interested in an SUV right now, small car is best. What is wrong with hyundai and kia cars? They seem to all have decent reviews (except perhaps for hyundais crash rating).
They tend to catch on fire in your driveway apparently. Not sure what all models are impacted, but there's a class action on some of the older ones.

Edit: Models listed below

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/h...-fire-lawsuit/
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:35 PM   #20
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
They tend to catch on fire in your driveway apparently. Not sure what all models are impacted, but there's a class action on some of the older ones.

Edit: Models listed below

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/h...-fire-lawsuit/
Well, if I did get one I better make sure it's been under the recall...

lol

Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM   #21
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Ive known people with Sonatas and Elantras and they had probs. Mechanical mostly so expensive.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #22
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Found another 2014 corolla with 90k miles on it, but for 8K (has some stains on the back seat but otherwise looks good). I'm going to take a look at it tonight and if it checks out I'll have a mechanic inspect it.

Could be a fantastic deal.

Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM   #23
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Friends don't let friends buy Hyun-die or Killed In Action.

Trash cars, trash SUVs, trash companies and considering my hate for GM, I'd own one of those pieces before I ever own or even look at a Hyundai. Their dealers are also the trashiest scum possible.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #24
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
Friends don't let friends buy Hyun-die or Killed In Action.

Trash cars, trash SUVs, trash companies and considering my hate for GM, I'd own one of those pieces before I ever own or even look at a Hyundai. Their dealers are also the trashiest scum possible.
I will never buy an American made piece of junk again. I've had two (pontiac and a mazda with a ford body) and they were both trash. And none of that euro-trash either.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM   #25
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

How do you figure euro trash
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #26
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
And none of that euro-trash either.
Them som fightin words.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM   #27
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
How do you figure euro trash
Nissan is owned by Renault. They are a French company and they are known for crappy cars. BMW also makes shitty cars in terms of reliability. Volvo and VW have had problems in recent years.

Better question is what euro cars are good?

Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #28
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Bah, went to look at that corrola and it sold an hour before I got there. lol

Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #29
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Volvo is pretty solid and so are VW. Volvo's popularity has seemed to go up in the last few years; I notice a lot more of them on the road now, especially the SUV. They make some great vehicles.

I have no idea where you're getting this idea that VWs don't last, especially recent years as you said.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #30
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I would go Toyota or Honda if you want reliability, low maintenance and cheap parts and labor. Toyota would be cheaper than Honda. Nissan can eat a dick.

Also it you want American you can opt for Ford cars like Focus or Fiesta. Those are pretty good and possibly only American cars with good mileage.

I would still continue to hunt deals on Corollas.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote