Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber
Default Windows 8 launch live stream

Overall it's pretty interesting to watch. They're really focusing on showing off what their partners are doing with hardware and software.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/25/w...eam/#continued
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:05 AM   #2
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Mr Ballmer's giving a bit of a boring product overview right now. He's used the word "Magical" I think 3 times now.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I really don't think Ballmer should ever do any of these presentations. He has absolutely no stage presence and I shudder every time he says "it's fun".

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:10 AM   #4
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I really don't think Ballmer should ever do any of these presentations. He has absolutely no stage presence and I shudder every time he says "it's fun".
Innorite?

Honestly it's like watching a dark cloud scowl at the audience as it paces the stage. He just exudes the appearance of being a "suit" despite any attempts at screaming DEVELOPERSDEVELOPERSDEVELOPERS as he runs across the stage.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Saggypoo
Fun Police

Saggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Windows 8 launch drinking game.

Every take a drink when he says 'developers'.

Edit: Omg, those people just stole all of those tablets.

Last edited by Saggypoo : Oct 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Saggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:14 AM   #6
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Did he just slip? I swear I heard him emphasize "you will absolutely not love the new Windows 8." The "not" was brief like he stumbled on something.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:15 AM   #7
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

And it's over. Surface webcast starts at 10:30 PDT (12:30 for us Central time peeps).

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Honestly it's like watching a dark cloud scowl at the audience as it paces the stage.
You nailed it. It boggles the mind why they let him on stage. His ending was weird too, no one knew if there was more or not until they started dismantling the set

Surface webcast in 15 mins or so.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
You nailed it. It boggles the mind why they let him on stage. His ending was weird too, no one knew if there was more or not until they started dismantling the set

Surface webcast in 15 mins or so.
So the Jobs and Gates era has (long since) ended and became the Cook and Ballmer era
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Zero
Sass hole

Don't forget whoever that dude is who's head of RIM now...

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:35 PM   #11
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Here we go...
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Saggypoo
Fun Police

Saggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

That commercial makes me hate the Surface now..
Saggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:52 PM   #13
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

The Glass demonstration is pretty compelling but watching the guy drop the tablet on stage was kinda fun. I would love to have seen it break that one time though.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:06 PM   #14
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Microsoft has learned a lot from Apple. They've spent this entire time talking about what you can do with their stuff. They're really emphasizing the experience, the productivity, the "doing" rather than emphasizing specs or features.

For example showing off the touch cover connected to the device, he described it as being sturdy and a solid sure feel, like holding a book. Rather than saying "it takes X pounds of force to separate the two" or something similar. He's showing off the usability of typing with the cover now and that it can record at the same time like a professor giving a lecture to a student taking notes.

Huge emphasis on what you can do with it. Seems like a big departure from Microsoft of old.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:06 PM   #15
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

The finer details about the hardware is impressive. Multitasking portion seems pretty intuitive as well. The camera man needs to stop the shaking, geeeeez...

Love full usb and how easy the DSLR camera plugged in and started to browse the photos. This is almost an essential for me.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Oct 25, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:10 PM   #16
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

And now we're hitting on this Annie chick.

It still seems a bit jarring when we cut to showing off Office apps and you see the "desktop" experience showing its face. They really need to work on folding that away and just keeping with the consistent experience they're going with for Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 and Windows RT. If I had a tablet, phone and desktop all sporting the same consistent experience and UI, it would be a lot more compelling.

Though I'm still very on the fence regarding developer toolsets.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:20 PM   #17
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

The stream is kind of neat, im able to rewind on the parts that i missed. Glad that they went through some basic win8 operations, hopefully this will clear up those silly blogs we've seen about people using it for the first time and being completely useless.
Im impressed with what i saw, seems really impressive on how they are trying to make things so effortless for people to get things done. Question is, does the layout and culture work for me... need to play with one for a bit to really get a feel for it, but so far im diggn it.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Oct 25, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:36 PM   #18
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Hopefully will have time to watch it this weekend. Is it instructive for prospective PC / laptop users? I've had a terrible time making it feel functional / useful on my laptop, and am more than willing to admit that I may just be doing it / looking at it wrong. Frankly, its been a horrible user experience for me so far - more difficult to get used to than OSX when I first started dabbling with that. To the point that I rarely use my laptop now (still running Win7 on my desktop). I'm hopeful that this (or other instructional tools) will help change how I'm currently seeing Win8.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:55 PM   #19
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

that Surface tablet looks nice, now if they get the apps out for it
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:01 PM   #20
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Hopefully will have time to watch it this weekend. Is it instructive for prospective PC / laptop users? I've had a terrible time making it feel functional / useful on my laptop, and am more than willing to admit that I may just be doing it / looking at it wrong. Frankly, its been a horrible user experience for me so far - more difficult to get used to than OSX when I first started dabbling with that. To the point that I rarely use my laptop now (still running Win7 on my desktop). I'm hopeful that this (or other instructional tools) will help change how I'm currently seeing Win8.
No nothing really instructional, just a lot of showing of what you can do with the new devices and software platform. You'll see a few demonstrations of using Skype, multi-tasking apps like a video and OneNote, stuff like that... They made using the OS look really easy and intuitive, a lot of their presentation points though reflected on what you could do with the new stuff.

For example at one point the presenter gets a Wikipedia app off the Windows store. Then gestures from the right side of the screen and chooses "Search" and types in a search query which presented search results from Wikipedia. You get the results on the left and the list of install apps on the right. So it would have Wikipedia selected, but if you tap on the "Bing Map" app it would show a local map with that search result on it for any nearby locations. Same with other integrated apps. The more I think on it, the more useful it seemed.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:17 PM   #21
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Yeah there's a lot of little things that make it seem intuitive and easy, work flow seems alright. One of the things that caught my eye was that when using win8 on a laptop the same touch gestures (pinch zoom, scroll, swipe for options) are translated to the touchpad as well. I just thought it would be more or less just for swipe left right and moving the cursor.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:09 PM   #22
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

have they set up the pro upgrades order yet?

I want to upgrade this laptop for it, its got pen stylus input (no real touch) so i think it would fit perfectly with Win8.

and is it the same as before where 32bit only upgrade to 32bit and 64bit only to 64 (needing fresh install for 32 to 64bit)?
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:06 PM   #23
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Posted this is another thread, but a nice little RT review.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6392/t...dows-rt-review
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote