Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Sep 14, 2018, 06:18 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eisberg
Wilted, brown, and slimey

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default First pinewood derby with my son.

Because I am a moron, we ended up building this car 3 times, I broke the other 2 in different ways.

Third car build went great, my son painted it, I helped my son polish the axles and the wheels, I drilled holes for the weights, and he puts in the fishing lead weights and glue them in, and finally I put the wheels and axles to the car. We test the cars alignment and it works great.

Now it is the Pinewood Derby. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much, really didn't feel like we created a winning car, just did a few things I felt made common sense like:
Putting most of the weight in the back so that it was pushing the car and give it more momentum once it hits the straight part of the track, and reduce friction with polishing the axles and wheels.

Every car in the race got to race 8 times, 2x on each lane of the track. And then they would add up all the times of how long it took to get to the finish line and the lowest times win.

My son's car wins 7 out of 8 of the races he was in, basically every race he won looked like this in how much of a lead he had:

Then they do the top 4 cars and have them race each other 4x, and my son's car wins 4/4 races.

Needless to say, my son got first place. They gave Gold, Silver, and Bronze trophies to the top winners.

my son and I had a lot of fun making the 3 cars , only for him to give me the stare of death when I accidentally broke the first 2 cars And both of us were very surprised how well the car did, but we are both very happy we made a great car.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2018, 08:33 AM   #2
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Congrats! Sounds like a great time with your son. It's something he'll always remember.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2018, 08:48 AM   #3
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Sea Islands

NWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
Congrats! Sounds like a great time with your son. It's something he'll always remember.
And the story will get better and better as time goes on.. specially when they talk about the breaking of the first 2 cars.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 14, 2018, 09:24 AM   #4
Eisberg

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
And the story will get better and better as time goes on.. specially when they talk about the breaking of the first 2 cars.
I do need to be creative in stating how I broke them, to make it sound more epic
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 09:56 AM   #5
huskylord
Individual 2

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

For a second I thought you wrote "Because I am a mormon.....
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:04 AM   #6
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord View Post
Same. After all, it's not unusual for Mormons to have multiple...cars.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:20 AM   #7
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

The digital finish line is awesome Does it do photo finish captures? That would be sweet as hell.

You won cause you got a pre-fab you cheaters

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:21 AM   #8
Eisberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Same. After all, it's not unusual for Mormons to have multiple...cars.

My people built a civilization in a desert next to a lake with so much salt in it that the only thing living in it is brine, and I can't make a wooden car without breaking it? I'm a disgrace to Mormons
Quote:
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:28 AM   #9
Eisberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
The digital finish line is awesome Does it do photo finish captures? That would be sweet as hell.

You won cause you got a pre-fab you cheaters
No photo finish. it was connected to a computer and it gave the time down to 1/1000 of a second. It also had some kind of system to determine what cars to race in each year and put them on a certain lane to make sure everyone did each lane 2 times. It was an impressive system.

Haha, actually half of the cars were using the same wedge; apparently I wasn't the only one who didn't have the tools to cut wood.
Quote:
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Congrats! Not on the derby win, but the win with child bonding and creating great childhood memories.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2018, 02:59 AM   #11
Eisberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Congrats! Not on the derby win, but the win with child bonding and creating great childhood memories.
I wonder if that childhood memory will come back to bite me in the ass?

Fast forward 7 years from now, my son is 16 years old and has a Drivers License, he borrowed the car to go out on a group date with his friends:

Me: Son, you are 1 hour late. Where have you been?
My son: Hey Dad, remember that time you broke 2 of my cars?
Quote:
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:18 AM   #12
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
I wonder if that childhood memory will come back to bite me in the ass?

Fast forward 7 years from now, my son is 16 years old and has a Drivers License, he borrowed the car to go out on a group date with his friends:

Me: Son, you are 1 hour late. Where have you been?
My son: Hey Dad, remember that time you broke 2 of my cars?
Awesome father-son story, and kudo's for the polishing and rear-weighting, too.
My dad broke one of my pinewoods, too. He was a metallurgical engineer so in retrospect maybe it's not surprising he borked my first wooden car.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:25 AM   #13
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Congrats!

and he drives better than you
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:43 AM   #14
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Keep making good memories with your son while he's young. Those fond memories will help to prevent you from killing him in his teens.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 05:12 PM   #15
Eisberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Keep making good memories with your son while he's young. Those fond memories will help to prevent you from killing him in his teens.
Can't I just keep him at 9 years old?
Quote:
Old Sep 16, 2018, 08:13 PM   #16
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

This brings back some fond memories.
The year my dad ran our Webelos den (11 yrs old) was one of the best years of my life. He totally got into it and the den loved him-- me most of all. Forty-plus years later some of the guys still chat me up about it.

Like someone already said, your son will never forget it. Here's to many more memories like this one.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 08:29 AM   #17
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
Can't I just keep him at 9 years old?
If only.

My son is just coming out of his "emo-hate-the-world-my-parents-are-stupid-I-know-everything" phase. It's been a long 6 years.

Glad I was never like that.