Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:23 AM   #541
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

479$ MSRP

Still too much for me...

Dissapointed they didnt release Super Resolution with this. And AIB prices are rumored to be around 600$ so about the same as 3070 which it does match roughly.

Game clocks are a lot faster than the 6800's tho at 2400 mhz. ~25% faster and AIB's are sure to go even higher.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org

Last edited by pax : Mar 3, 2021 at 10:53 AM.
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:29 PM   #542
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
479$ MSRP

Still too much for me...

Dissapointed they didnt release Super Resolution with this. And AIB prices are rumored to be around 600$ so about the same as 3070 which it does match roughly.

Game clocks are a lot faster than the 6800's tho at 2400 mhz. ~25% faster and AIB's are sure to go even higher.
WTF. Surely this has got to be total BS.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amd-radeo...ormance-price/

Cowcotland are claiming only 100 MBA units and 100 AIB to be made available at launch and MBA going to EOL straight after. Other sites are claiming better availability.

Hopefully this is more accurate.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/3/22...y-gpu-graphics
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 04:37 PM   #543
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Looks like a good 3070 competitor or even beater.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 3, 2021, 08:51 PM   #544
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

I'm perfectly happy. It's sitting in exactly the price/performance ratio spot I'm interested in. Low availability is a duh and utterly un-avoidable scenario at this point. Welcome to 2021, it's like 2020 but without the shock factor.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:36 AM   #545
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Ya no I doubt availability will be that low. I mean 100 units for all of France on launch day? That makes no sense.

But will it sell out for the first couple months and be grossly overpriced even as MSRP is overpriced? Sure.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:42 AM   #546
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
I'm perfectly happy. It's sitting in exactly the price/performance ratio spot I'm interested in. Low availability is a duh and utterly un-avoidable scenario at this point. Welcome to 2021, it's like 2020 but without the shock factor.

Its ~50% faster than my vega 64 but without showcasing RT perf on CP2077 at 1440p and super resolution its not an easy upgrade for me for now.

Vega plays well still tho its crazy to see this 2560 shaders gpu beat vegas 4064 shaders even worse than the 5700xt.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:11 PM   #547
_mulder
Radeon R200

_mulder is still being judged by the masses

This had me spit coffee through my nose when I saw that this morning

99 grand for a RTX3060. I guess this is marketing at its best, not to put 100 k!

I know it's likely a placeholder but still, it might not be too far from the reality for the Canadian market!!!!

https://www.newegg.ca/gigabyte-gefor...82E16814932402

Edit: and they still would charge 10$ for shipping
_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:27 AM   #548
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Harsh but seemingly true I'm afraid. Despite launching the 6800/6900XT AMD has actually lost market share which is a bit troubling. As the article says if the 6700XT goes the same way with supply issues the market share drop will continue. Currently AMD's market share is just 18%.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amd-radeo...share-decline/

As the article states this doesn't reflect the quality of the products it's virtually all to do with supply issues some of which they could have seen coming and others which they couldn't. Paradoxically their market share drops just as they become competitive again at the top end. We are indeed living in interesting times.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 12:15 PM   #549
pax
Rage3D Spammer

TLDW: its a software based solution works on both Nav1 and Navi2 and is up to 2x perf improvement.

If true means we might see games on dlss/SR get better perf than Nvidia.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:24 AM   #550
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Of course you can get up to 2x performance with a software only solution, at the expense of image quality.

Also until we get an in depth analysis of SR, don't get your hopes up on a "software only" upscaler. This will probably be more similar to DLSS 1.0 than DLSS 2.0, especially without any kind of AI image processing involved.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:25 AM   #551
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

You AMD guys need me to ban him from this forum?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:30 AM   #552
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
You AMD guys need me to ban him from this forum?
Word! Who needs logic anyway.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:34 AM   #553
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Word! Who needs logic anyway.

yoz
Old Mar 8, 2021, 09:59 AM   #554
KAC
Dirty humans

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Dude selling a MSI 6800XT Trio for 1310 boners. Same price as a 3070 I can find. Similar hash rate as well.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:33 PM   #555
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:

TLDW: its a software based solution works on both Nav1 and Navi2 and is up to 2x perf improvement.

If true means we might see games on dlss/SR get better perf than Nvidia.
"software based" is a stupid stupid thing to say . It's accelerated by the GPU.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:38 PM   #556
pax
Rage3D Spammer

What hardware is leveraged by the software remains to be seen. It doesnt have to be worse than a dedicated hw solution. Even it means not having supercomputer ai timefor every title.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 8, 2021, 01:26 PM   #557
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Of course you can get up to 2x performance with a software only solution, at the expense of image quality.

Also until we get an in depth analysis of SR, don't get your hopes up on a "software only" upscaler. This will probably be more similar to DLSS 1.0 than DLSS 2.0, especially without any kind of AI image processing involved.
Yup. We shouldn't be getting our hopes up till we see it in action.

Quote:
What hardware is leveraged by the software remains to be seen. It doesnt have to be worse than a dedicated hw solution. Even it means not having supercomputer ai timefor every title.
nVidia isn't making heavy use of per-game training to pre-train the DLSS AI anymore. It's a more generalized AI now and makes use of temporal jittered data to create an output. It then compares that to what it thinks that should look like and goes from there. Which generally looks pretty damn great.

The lines between "Software" and "Hardware" based get blurrier everyday. But I think the simplest way to look at it now is, does run on the CPU? No? Then it's not really software accelerated.

System:
Old Mar 8, 2021, 02:03 PM   #558
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
The lines between "Software" and "Hardware" based get blurrier everyday. But I think the simplest way to look at it now is, does run on the CPU? No? Then it's not really software accelerated.
Good point!

yoz
Old Mar 8, 2021, 09:20 PM   #559
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Well RT comes to mind when they added a 'software RT' leveraging regular shaders and it didnt run on cpu. It was still called a software solution.

Its a grey zone for sure. Having dedicated hw to a function is one thing but I think the amd version can be good while being less reliant on dedicated gpu hw. If its built off of TAA it should be decent. I think the diff in quality vs DLSS will be marginal at best when they combine it with Radeon Boost and Fidelity FX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 8, 2021, 09:45 PM   #560
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

How would Radeon Boost even work with something like this? Radeon Boost is a software algorithm lowering your rendering resolution during fast mouse movement; that's not compatible with things like DLSS and super resolution. The image resolution shifting wildly would make it impossible to have a steady image.

I'm also curious how you think a solution like Radeon Boost that is dropping the rendering resolution in some cases to 50% or lower in order to boost framerates is somehow going to help AMD compete with NV in the image quality department. Radeon Boost rapes IQ, it doesn't help.

Radeon Boost is super gimmicky anyway; reminds me of NV Reflex. It's all marketing garbage.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:02 PM   #561
pax
Rage3D Spammer

It only works when you dont see it. You dont need perfect view all the time for a few milliseconds if you can get more stable fps... same for variable shading where objects further out dont need to be rendered that highly.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:22 PM   #562
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
This will probably be more similar to DLSS 1.0 than DLSS 2.0, especially without any kind of AI image processing involved.

Apparently there is some sort of AI machine learning with AMD's implementation. I'd be very surprised if it even matches DLSS 2.0, though.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:00 AM   #563
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Fidelity Fx CAS looked better than dlss 1.0 so I dont think they will regress from there. Considering they can mix and stack these options together when SR comes out Im not that worried. But itll be interesting how they compare things in different settings seeing as DLSS has 3 settings.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 9, 2021, 02:18 AM   #564
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

That's highly subjective, both look like ass.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 07:06 AM   #565
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
It only works when you dont see it. You dont need perfect view all the time for a few milliseconds if you can get more stable fps... same for variable shading where objects further out dont need to be rendered that highly.
Your statement was that Radeon Boost combined with SR would improve quality, but Radeon Boost is specifically meant to reduce quality for performance. I'm confused how something that drops your rendering resolution improves quality, but also at the same time I'm not sure Radeon Boost could work with SR due the way SR works. It's taking an image and upsampling, so I'm not sure you can have something dramatically changing the rendering resolution for seconds at a time as well. They do not sound compatible.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:45 AM   #566
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Well upsampling is also about more fps so the quality of the gaming experience.

Thers no point on getting nicer quality picture if you cant improve the fps. If you can upsample well and in some scenes lower temporarily to maintain fps without too many drops the whole experience is better.

I dont see why it couldnt work some youtubers have mentionned the FX suite can be mixed in together. We also arent sure who SR will run. Im now hearing it will have super computer ai training at first as well but some said it was skipping that.

Quote:
That's highly subjective, both look like ass.
If you compare them both to dlss2 sure but cas clearly looked better than dlss 1.

https://www.techspot.com/article/187...s-nvidia-dlss/

www.realitysandwich.com

Last edited by pax : Mar 9, 2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 06:45 PM   #567
demo
space cadet

I've used both and they equally suck ass. RIS looks like you've turned sharpness way too high on your TV and shimmers like a mofo with a grainy image. DLSS 1.0 looks the opposite, kinda like AMD's old narrow and wide tent filters.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:00 AM   #568
pax
Rage3D Spammer

https://twitter.com/3DCenter_org/sta...99411320414210

Ya not too surprised amd had a slow ramp up on the new parts in Q4 but will be interesting to see how they did in Q1 of this year.

They need to at least double if not triple their production or lose massive sales in AIB.

https://www.3dcenter.org/news/die-gr...n-quartal-2020

AMD approx. 1.9 million pieces

Nvidia approx. 9.0 million pieces

And to give an example of what we all suspected that AMD was prioritizing other silicon like the consoles they shipped approx. 3.6 million pieces in Q4 2019.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:00 AM   #569
pax
Rage3D Spammer

And Uh holy ****... they only made how many discrete gpus last year?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gp...rt-q4-2020-jpr

No wonder we cant buy ****.

www.realitysandwich.com