Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Feb 2, 2003, 08:01 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
RadeonWarrior
Radeon R300

RadeonWarrior is still being judged by the masses

Question Is Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast trying to break my Dim 8250?

I know this is probably more of a sound question than a video issue.

When I was playing Jedi Knight 2: JO(with EAX turned on) a month ago I got 1/3 through the second level and I got a blue screen, I heard sounds from the DVD-ROM and my computer crashed with a disk read error message. I could not reboot so me and Dell had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall xp and other applications. This may have been related to another problem with 8250’s with 200GB hard drives crashing when the computer starts up. Dell called and had me change the Bios setting this past week to solve this problem until they issue a bios update this March. I do not know if it was that bug or Jedi Knight 2: JO. The original sound card when it crashed was a SB Live and I was having sound problems with all my games.

I switched from a Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 to a Retail Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1 two weeks ago. My other games(Neverwinter, Serious Sam 2, UT2003, and BF 1942) have been working fine or even better with the Audigy 2. Well there was some popping from the speakers when I fly the big B17 bomber in Battlefield 1942 but it is not as bad as with the Live.

I just reinstalled Jedi K. 2: JO Friday night and turned on EAX or Advanced HD under the sound options. After playing the game for a few minutes I exited to the main menu and a sound that was playing in the game did not stop and turned into a squeal. It seemed to be a medium to low pitched squeal. Luckily I was able to exit the game before any damage could be done. At least I think so.

How can I solve this sound problem and is it even safe to run the game on my system? I would upgrade the video drivers but some people say they have had problems running this game with the latest CAT 3.0 from ATI. I am still using the sound drivers that came with the Audigy 2 because I do not know what could happen if I download the latest drivers. Some people have posted issues with the latest Audigy 2 updates. This problem is strange because I read some where that the Audigy 2’s EAX Advanced HD technology is suppose to be designed specifically for this game. This game worked well on my old Compaq P3 600 MHz even though I could not run it at full settings. Does anyone with a Dimension 8250 with the same or similar specs and has updated to the latest Audigy 2 drivers had the same problems running this game?

My System:
Jedi Knight 2: JO(updated to v. 1.04)
Dell Dimension 8250
P4 3.06(Hyper-threading is now off after the crash)
1GB PC1066 RDRAM
128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9700 Pro(CAT 2.5)
200GB Ultra ATA/100 7200
Soundblaster Audigy 2 6.1(original drivers that came with the card)
Windows XP Home Edition(Service Pack 1 came preinstalled)
File System: FAT32
16X DVD-ROM
Klipsch Promedia 5.1
Norton Anti-Virus 2002
RadeonWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 04:58 PM   #2
Apocaliptik
Buried by the Dead

Apocaliptik is still being judged by the masses

Why in the nine hells is your file system fat32? It should be NTFS.....that dosnt really relate to your problem though, look at audigy drivers. Also I have NO problems running JK2 on a 9500Pro with the Cat 3.0a and DX9.0.
Built By ATi Radeon 9500PRO 128mb DDR @ 330/303
Apocaliptik is offline   Reply With Quote