Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default iPad 2, revealed next week, March 2

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...special-event/

Confirming a date first reported by BoomTown, Apple this morning distributed invitations to a special event at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco on March 2. Their text–”Come see what 2011 will be the year of,” a smirking riff on all those “Year of The Tablet” stories, and art–a calendar date peeling back from an iPad–leave little doubt as to the event’s topic: iPad 2.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:08 PM   #2
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...special-event/

Confirming a date first reported by BoomTown, Apple this morning distributed invitations to a special event at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco on March 2. Their text–”Come see what 2011 will be the year of,” a smirking riff on all those “Year of The Tablet” stories, and art–a calendar date peeling back from an iPad–leave little doubt as to the event’s topic: iPad 2.
All people attending the event must agree to pay Apple a 30% tithe of their net worth and each paycheck going forward at the door - it's been in the iTunes agreement and just hasn't been enforced until now.

One can only hope they also reveal a tablet-oriented OS as well to go along with the hardware that is bound to be great. And, yes, I'm 75% likely to buy one, but that doesn't mean I can't mock Apple... especially when their 30% greed may make me look elsewhere.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Can't wait, hopefully Apple has came to their senses and will decide to release the Ipad 2 and Iphone 5 across all US cell providers.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debello View Post
Can't wait, hopefully Apple has came to their senses and will decide to release the Ipad 2 and Iphone 5 across all US cell providers.
I doubt that will ever happen. Sprint had their chance, but passed. To be honest, IMO, that was a good thing. If Sprint had gone through with the iPhone, I don't know that there would be a real market for Android devices today. Aside from Apple's force-fed approach to their apps (i.e. requiring their own apps to interface with their own devices), the only real downside to the iPhone in the past has been the provider. That in itself is what kept the market open to other smart phone OS technologies.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I will be extremely amused when/if they'll announce the 500$ model, which makes the Apple solution the cheaper option (!!) compared to what the other morons are charging for their tablets.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
I will be extremely amused when/if they'll announce the 500$ model, which makes the Apple solution the cheaper option (!!) compared to what the other morons are charging for their tablets.
Good (small) article on how Apple is able to deliver at a smaller price bracket:

http://urbanmediatoday.com/Why-nobod...e-iPads-price/
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:43 PM   #7
ZeeM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

ZeeM is still being judged by the masses

I feel bad for those who bought the ipad 1.
Some cool info: Tibeten monks, after twenty years or so of practise in the Himalaya, control their brain stem - they can control their heart beat, blood pressure etc. After thirty years they can connect to the internet purely by meditation, setting TCP stacks in their neurons and stuff. Right now I am chatting with a monk who is sitting naked in an ice storm on his towel, his only possesion. He's using ipv6.
ZeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Good (small) article on how Apple is able to deliver at a smaller price bracket:

http://urbanmediatoday.com/Why-nobod...e-iPads-price/
A strangely insightful article from something called urbansports.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeM View Post
Why?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Debello
Not built for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeM View Post
The amount of money in ink the Ipad has saved me from printing out papers and pictures has been pretty big along with the fact it has completely replaced my laptop and netbook. I regret buying my netbook not my Ipad.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:22 PM   #11
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debello View Post
The amount of money in ink the Ipad has saved me from printing out papers and pictures has been pretty big along with the fact it has completely replaced my laptop and netbook. I regret buying my netbook not my Ipad.
Yes, I have been pimping the MBA 11" a lot lately, but damn if I don't really love it. It is in an entire class of device by itself, and no netbook I have ever used gets close, and all the macbooks larger than the 11" MBA are simply too big to be considered mobile like the iPad is.

Personally, I think the iPad would have too much overlap with my iPhone 4 as far as usefulness.

However, as a more robust portable the MacBook Air 11" is perfect. It is just about the same size as an iPad, has instant on/off like an iPad, but it has a fully functional OSX Snow Leopard experience. It is able to play new games and it is plenty fast for me to work on without issue.

It is truly a portable that I can slap in my coat pocket and bring anywhere, and it is functional for work, school and gaming in ways that iOS cannot be. It is the superior mobile device if one already has a smart phone IMO.

In any case, I think it is nicely viable alternative for people on the fence about getting an iPad because of functionality concerns. Due to the size and capabilities of instantaneous use of the device, it really is in the same class of portable IMO, even if less convenient to use one handed.

Last edited by pahncrd : Feb 23, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:32 PM   #12
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

it's got the Apple A5 chip, and 512MB of ram ... same resolution as the original iPad though
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:43 PM   #13
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
it's got the Apple A5 chip, and 512MB of ram ... same resolution as the original iPad though
No surprises there.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 02:28 PM   #14
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
No surprises there.
Yeah, still disappointed in no resolution bump. Guess I'll be sticking my original until iPad 3.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:44 PM   #15
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yep. iPad 3 for me. I don't care for added cameras.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:49 PM   #16
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Adds double RAM (maybe more), faster gfx (that's been pretty much confirmed), and a gyroscope.

Resolution of the screen will remain the same. It's possible Apple phases out 16GB versions.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

Last edited by HAL10000 : Feb 25, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:01 AM   #17
Debello
Not built for speed

I have the 16GB Wifi version right now, it just isn't enough space, I will be moving up to at least 32GB and the 3G model.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:42 AM   #18
Zero
Sass hole

Not that I don't believe you guys, but where are you getting the early releases from?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:19 AM   #19
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Everything is still rumors at this point, but even the WSJ is publishing those particular specs (rumors) so it's prolly 99% correct that is what the bump in specs is. Then again nothing official yet, but that doesn't stop people from posting specs as if it is official and a done deal.(see erek above).

Personally, I will just wait til the 2nd and see for sure, rather then make any decisions based on rumors.
t0adp1p3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:42 AM   #20
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Personally, I will just wait til the 2nd and see for sure, rather then make any decisions based on rumors.
Agreed. There is still hope, a tiny sliver of hope.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:07 AM   #21
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

after seeing everything the Ipad 2 can possibly offer, I got a xoom. I'm keeping my 1st Gen Ipad around the house but this will be my go to device.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:58 AM   #22
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

the xoom does look sweet, how is gaming on honeycomb? Does it have the same selection as ipad? Just curious, I seriously would use one for surfing and gaming and streaming movies, so the game selection is very important to me.

For instance do they have deadspace and battlehearts or is it limited to angry birds etc..
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:18 AM   #23
AllexxisF1
Owie.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I am actually stoked for the new ipad. I have been eying them for the past three weeks and the new one showing up right on time could not be sweeter.

I am usually not a big fan of gadgets and I normally force myself to really push on whether I need it or not. I think the device can seamlessly meet a lot of my needs in a very small form factor.

I am very much looking forward to this product.

...and that is coming from a person who is very much anti-Apple.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:39 AM   #24
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
the xoom does look sweet, how is gaming on honeycomb? Does it have the same selection as ipad? Just curious, I seriously would use one for surfing and gaming and streaming movies, so the game selection is very important to me.

For instance do they have deadspace and battlehearts or is it limited to angry birds etc..
Browse the Market and see what's available:

https://market.android.com/

You can also check here:

http://meandmydroid.blogspot.com/
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:43 AM   #25
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

thanks mahjik appreciate it, really am on the fence and this would be the deciding factor. I do already own a ipad1,if 2 isn't much of an upgrade I might just go xoom for something different.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:39 PM   #26
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

much like the ipad was a year ago, android tablet apps are in their infancy. It will be a little while until dev support catches up.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:24 PM   #27
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
I am actually stoked for the new ipad. I have been eying them for the past three weeks and the new one showing up right on time could not be sweeter.

I am usually not a big fan of gadgets and I normally force myself to really push on whether I need it or not. I think the device can seamlessly meet a lot of my needs in a very small form factor.

I am very much looking forward to this product.

...and that is coming from a person who is very much anti-Apple.
Please elaborate on your reasoning. I don't see anything really impressive about the new release. Nor so for any other tablet this generation to be honest.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:30 PM   #28
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Please elaborate on your reasoning. I don't see anything really impressive about the new release. Nor so for any other tablet this generation to be honest.
The nook color looks pretty cool, though mostly because it is only $250.

Last edited by pahncrd : Feb 26, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:31 PM   #29
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
thanks mahjik appreciate it, really am on the fence and this would be the deciding factor. I do already own a ipad1,if 2 isn't much of an upgrade I might just go xoom for something different.
I think you'll find the game support much less on Android at the moment as compared to iOS. However, I dislike that I'm required to use iTunes to interface with Apple devices. For me, the smaller number of quality games/apps is an ok trade-off.

The Xoom is very capable for gaming as you can see from this link:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/02/a...ts-grocery-iq/

I plan to pick up an Android tablet in the next few months. I'm only looking for a Wi-Fi unit as my wife and I both have Android phones. The Xoom is one on my list to check out when the Wi-Fi only version appears.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:35 PM   #30
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
The nook Color looks pretty cool, though mostly because it is only $250.
Nook color is near the top for my list for that reason. If they added GPS functionality, bumped up the specs, it'd be untouchable.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by pahncrd : Feb 26, 2011 at 01:43 PM.