Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 22, 2004, 07:25 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
chadro
[tR3D]kount_n00bula

chadro is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation How do you think the half life 2 physics engine will compare to Far Cry's physics????

I just played a really fun game called Far Cry. I fell in love with the physics it had like for eg. the light fixture that was shot at making it move wildly and spraying light rays all over. I about died!!! So how will HL 2 compare?
Old Apr 22, 2004, 07:32 PM   #2
Temporal-Incurs
Banned

Temporal-Incurs is still being judged by the masses

One time I nudge one of the barrels in the demo "research" and than walked in front of it and died. I died by a 0.5 km/h moving barrel.
Temporal-Incurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 07:44 PM   #3
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

HL2 owz Far Cry.

Far Cry = nVidia love

nVidia Love = teh noez

Farcry = teh noez

HL2 HL2 HL2 Get doooown. Roger that.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 22, 2004, 07:54 PM   #4
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally posted by genci88
HL2 owz Far Cry.

Far Cry = nVidia love

nVidia Love = teh noez

Farcry = teh noez

HL2 HL2 HL2 Get doooown. Roger that.
Said what? hehe
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 08:02 PM   #5
Twinke Masta
King of Blues

Twinke Masta is still being judged by the masses

physics is all messed up in this game....only good graphics and nothing else, even then everything looks too damn shiny...HL2 will pwn this **** like it never existed, that is if it ever debutes
Old Apr 22, 2004, 08:18 PM   #6
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Twinke Masta
physics is all messed up in this game....only good graphics and nothing else, even then everything looks too damn shiny...HL2 will pwn this **** like it never existed, that is if it ever debutes
Yup and befoer the game came out there was this trailer. People were saying that they couldnt distinguish that trailer whether it was a game or a movie. What a bunch of crap.
I checked the movie and the people animation sucked. Counter Strike has better animation

Far Cry was waaaaaaay too overrated.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 08:22 PM   #7
typoEDR
Radeon Caribbean Islands

typoEDR is still being judged by the masses

And so is Half-Life 2. They're both games, no need to lose sleep over which physics are better. Sheesh...
Old Apr 22, 2004, 08:25 PM   #8
Twinke Masta
King of Blues

Twinke Masta is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Yup and befoer the game came out there was this trailer. People were saying that they couldnt distinguish that trailer whether it was a game or a movie. What a bunch of crap.
I checked the movie and the people animation sucked. Counter Strike has better animation

Far Cry was waaaaaaay too overrated.
It wasn't really "over-rated" but it just seems the makers concentrated 99% of the project on the graphics and lacked many other things....part of the game seems imcomplete and such..yeah the cut-scenes, dialouges and such are crap...really horrible...
Old Apr 22, 2004, 08:29 PM   #9
Blackadder
Banned

Blackadder is still being judged by the masses

Half life 2 is vaporware AFAIK. Why isnt this in the PC games forum?
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 08:41 PM   #10
Brinkman
Banned

Brinkman is still being judged by the masses

i dont want to judge till i've played half life 2.. we have no idea
Brinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 08:43 PM   #11
Temporal-Incurs
Banned

I can bet my left testicle that hl2 will own all.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 09:23 PM   #12
scriccs
ilovericers

scriccs is still being judged by the masses

How would we know if HL2 is out yet!!!!

Far Cry has better physics then almost every game out now. My opinion.

-MSI K7N2-L
w/
Mobile 2400+ 35w @ 2.45ghz
-1024 mb DDR Geil 3200
-HIS ICE Q 9800Pro @ 420/710
-WD SE 120 gig
-TDK burner & Hitachi DVD
-Audigy 2 ZS & Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe
-Kingwin 450w PSU
-Logitech Z5300

Audigy 2 ZS Gamer for sale, pm me
scriccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 09:49 PM   #13
Vengeance
May 2, 1965 - April 21, 2008

Vengeance is still being judged by the masses

Lets see we have Off-topic and PC Gaming.....

yeah I'll just post this in Off-Topic and let some one else move it for me......

Thread moved.........
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 @ 800mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW
COOLER MASTER Stacker Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Westinghouse 22in wide screen LCD @ 1680x1050

Report a bug with the NVIDIA graphics driver.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 09:53 PM   #14
TIKtak
Me

TIKtak is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Temporal-Incurs
and if you lose the bet...?
TIKtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 10:16 PM   #15
Dizoja86
Buried above ground

Dizoja86 is still being judged by the masses

Arrow

farcry was an awesome game, but the physics were pretty lame.
Dizoja86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 10:18 PM   #16
compneo
Radeon R520

compneo is still being judged by the masses

^^ We can have a prarie oyster before dinner!!!!
-512MB OCZ PC3500EL /@460Mhz
-BBATI Radeon 9700 PRO @ 360/330
*Cooled by Vantec Iceberg4*
-Catalyst 4.9b
-Seagate Barracuda 120G Serial ATA
-Creative Audigy 2 (EAX 4)
-Antec TruePower 350W P.S
compneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 10:59 PM   #17
jimmybob479
Radeon R520

jimmybob479 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Temporal-Incurs
I'm betting my right testicle that it will own all... and thats not just becuase i've pla...uh, you didnt hear nutin.
http://www.btmcallen.com/how2bcome.htm
//Athlon xp 2500 ///ATi Radeon 9800 pro/// Asus A7N8X-X/////512MB DDR 3200//80gig Western Digital//
//120gig Western Digital///Sound Blaster Live!//////
jimmybob479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:09 PM   #18
dumb1
Radeon Sea Islands

dumb1 is still being judged by the masses

well duh, hl2 of course, considering how long it's been in devlt
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:38 PM   #19
rayzian
brokestatus

rayzian is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

You make it seem like CS has bad animations. CS has some of the best, fluent animations I've ever seen (talking about the weapon models). Notice how all the hands in CS aren't disfunctional and or unproportional? Besides the guns added by Valve (Galil, Famas, the new knife, the shield, ect.). Gooseman is damn talented.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:56 PM   #20
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Comparing a game to a game that has not been released yet = retarded.
Comparing a game to a game that is going to be released by a developer who developed a game that kicked major ass and is now making a second game that will supposedly kick major ass = retarded.
Putting down a developer who debuts a game that kicks ass (if not major) just because he did not have the 40 million dollars that is required to build the supposedly major kick ass game = retarded.

I would just give credit to Crytek for atleast trying.. look at painkiller.. awesome physics but its still not fun as Quake 1/2 (the way I was hoping it to be.. and not another serious sam clone)

Valve has spent 40 mil on the project, Carmack may have done even more, now this developer while being on a tight budget gave us something to play through, seriously I was so hoping that D3 and HL2 will hit the market this april, guess what they didn't and if I did not have far cry I probably would not have even upgraded my cpu or video card for that matter!

I hadn't had a decent game since december and that's a lot of time.. now I have something to play atleast!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:08 AM   #21
Woodgypsy
Whiney Supersnob

Woodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyWoodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I think Far Cry physic is very good- especially considering physic engine is made in-house. They are small rookie dev who doesn't have much money, they had to concentarte in graphic and gameplay-I don't see anything wrong with that.

Besides, while I do agree Far Cry is mostly about pretty gfx, still its gameplay has much more substance than game like Max Payne2 or Unreal2 IMO- for a shooter, Far Cry isn't very shallow.

Last edited by Woodgypsy : Apr 24, 2004 at 10:11 AM.
Woodgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:14 AM   #22
IAmIronSam
Radeon R520

IAmIronSam is still being judged by the masses

Farcry's physics were a nice touch, but for the most part they were completely useless. HL2's physics are supposed to be an essential part of the game.

Last edited by IAmIronSam : Apr 23, 2004 at 12:21 AM.
IAmIronSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:26 AM   #23
Osiris
Radeon R420

Osiris is still being judged by the masses

If you play the..um..."thing"...then play Far Cry, you'll know which physics system is better
Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:53 AM   #24
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

acidosmosis is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by KickAssCop
awesome physics but its still not fun as Quake 1/2 (the way I was hoping it to be.. and not another serious sam clone)

Actually it's much more fun than Quake 1 and 2. Or any Quake game for that matter.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 01:04 AM   #25
Pestul
Radeon Evergreen

Pestul is still being judged by the masses

Yikes.. just got into Far Cry. I really can't see where all the hate is coming from. I think the game is absolutely brilliant so far. It pisses all over Unreal II and imo just about every other single-player experience in the past year (maybe 2). Far Cry isn't a gimick.. it's a great game. Geez, just about every other pc game has a lame story as well, so don't harp on that (well except for the brilliant ones like Half-Life & Fallout). The troop dialogue fits in well.. corny, just as it should be. The physics are GREAT compared to most games out there, but of course HL2 will one-up it. I'm sure this game has stirred up devs. Props goes out to the most beautiful game I have ever played.. wait, wasn't that supposed to be my first point?
[Antec 902 Case w/Antec Truepower 750] [ASUS P6T SE Crossflashed to WS Pro] [Xeon X5650 @4.2GHz] [Thermalrite Ultra 120 Extreme] [12GB G.Skill DDR3 @1691 9-9-9-24-1T] [Zotac GTX970] [180GB Intel 330 SSD, 640GB WD Black, 3TB Toshiba] [27" iMac IPS 1440p]
Pestul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 01:36 AM   #26
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

You know what's funny?

When you criticize HL2 and say that it's looking like it won't turn out that well because of the antics at Valve, some people sink their teeth into your ass like they're rabid pitbulls.

Yet those same exact people then go around posting about how great HL2 is going to be, and how its physics are going to own, blablabla.

So apparently it's OK to say HL2 is going to own, not having played it. But it's not OK to say it's not going to be that great, still not having played it? Whatever...

The truth is no one knows. If HL2 ever comes out I guess we'll see how good it really is. I have a hard time believing its going to live up to expectations, though, which are still sky high despite everything that's happened.

Last edited by Nagorak : Apr 23, 2004 at 01:39 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 01:40 AM   #27
Temporal-Incurs
Banned

FarCry is an awesome game and the best game out right now. But hl2 bashers should be burn at the stake.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 09:30 PM   #28
chadro
[tR3D]kount_n00bula

chadro is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Vengeance
Lets see we have Off-topic and PC Gaming.....

yeah I'll just post this in Off-Topic and let some one else move it for me......

Thread moved.........

sorry ,,,didnt know there was a pc gaming section on this forum........
Old Apr 23, 2004, 09:40 PM   #29
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

early benches seen on HL2 shows that its alot less demanding then Farcry..
which could mean they can spare more CPU time to the physics engine..

So HL2 will prolly have a somewhat more accurate way of dealing with it..
Havent checked up alot on Havok2 tho, looks neat..

Doom3 should be mentioned too, its their own physics engine and from what ive read it sounds very impressive..
If someone wants to refer to the alpha, its not really applied alot there so dont bother.
should be on par with HL2s implementation of Havok2 i would guess, if not better (or worse for that matter)..
just guessing tho, dunno how good havok2 can be really..
jolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 10:07 PM   #30
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Max Payne 2's and Painkiller's physics (they both use Havok) are way better than FarCry's, can't imagine what HL2 would bring (i believe it will also use Hakov but i hope it's a newer version).
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote