Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 6, 2017, 03:51 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Good cheap Android phone

Given worst experience of my life with the iPhones 6 and 6S, I am looking for a cheap solution. Something that can tide me over until my son gets a bit bigger.

I have thus far, burnt through the following.

iPhone 6S+ that I trashed in the bin.
iPhone 6 that I trashed in the bin.
Wife's iPhone 6 that I got virtually re-made. Screens changed about 4-5 times.
Another iPhone 6S that is a backup for which I have had screen replaced 4 times.
My iPhone 6S that I have had the screen replaced recently for the 7th time.

I figure, I could have bought a cheap android disposable phone for 60-70 bucks and threw it everytime it broke and still had some cash left over.

So looking for a cheap replacement. Let me know.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete stranger

why didn't you buy a good case? smdh
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2017, 08:07 AM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

PEBKAC.

Look at OnePlus.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:04 AM   #4
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

he will destroy that too, you know that, right?

Might invest into REALLY sturdy case instead, some outdoor-sh*t..

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:05 PM   #5
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Given worst experience of my life with the iPhones 6 and 6S, I am looking for a cheap solution. Something that can tide me over until my son gets a bit bigger.

I have thus far, burnt through the following.

Another iPhone 6S that is a backup for which I have had screen replaced 4 times.

I figure, I could have bought a cheap android disposable phone for 60-70 bucks and threw it everytime it broke and still had some cash left over.

So looking for a cheap replacement. Let me know.
get a military grade drop tested case?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 04:18 AM   #6
KAC
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Such as?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 06:42 AM   #7
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
What the hell are you doing to your phones that you're burning through them so quickly? Just because they advertise the fact that their screens have gorilla glass or whatever, doesn't mean you have to keep using them as a cup every time you play cricket. And you have to learn to bat better.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2017, 07:07 AM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

If you can't take care of your things to THAT extent, no different phone or otterbox case is going to help you. Pay attention and stop treating **** that you spend ~$700 on like it's garbage.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2017, 08:30 AM   #9
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Such as?
Evutec karbon si or Speck gammashell.
Reviews of other cases here https://www.mobilereviews-eh.ca
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:14 PM   #10
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
If you can't take care of your things to THAT extent, no different phone or otterbox case is going to help you. Pay attention and stop treating **** that you spend ~$700 on like it's garbage.
Its KAC

$700 to him is equivalent to $7 to the rest of us.

To this day I don't think theres a phone ive held in my hand that has any sort of sturdiness that matches the bricklike properties of my Nokia Lumia 930. (which it got shat on for being a thick and heavy phone with a real metal/aluminum frame). I don't even have a case on mine.

Everything else feels flimsy in comparison since being thin and made of plastic seems to be the way phones are made nowadays.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:51 PM   #11
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Its KAC

$700 to him is equivalent to $7 to the rest of us.

To this day I don't think theres a phone ive held in my hand that has any sort of sturdiness that matches the bricklike properties of my Nokia Lumia 930. (which it got shat on for being a thick and heavy phone with a real metal/aluminum frame). I don't even have a case on mine.

Everything else feels flimsy in comparison since being thin and made of plastic seems to be the way phones are made nowadays.
pretty much same here.. Lumia 1020.. it's a "yellow" brick" but it has seen drops from about 12 feet, down a flight of stairs, got accidently run over in the driveway,, and besides a few scratches.. still keeps on ticking.

For a cheap/disposable Andriod, cheapest to more expensive may be a Moto E or Moto G or Moto Force (impact resistant). Best quality/built non-Windows (Lumia) phone I've seen to date would prob be Blackberry Priv.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 05:44 AM   #12
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
Just because they advertise the fact that their screens have gorilla glass or whatever, doesn't mean you have to keep using them as a cup every time you play cricket. And you have to learn to bat better.

Oneplus are relativly cheap and great android phones but im sure they aren't sturdier than iphones at all. You will probably still need a strong case (of which I know none).
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2017, 08:55 AM   #13
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
got accidently run over in the driveway
ive almost done that.

twice. ****ing sweatpants and their shallow pockets are THE DEVIL
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Feb 10, 2017, 07:33 PM   #14
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

You can buy used Sony Xperia Z3s on Ebay for only about $130. I'm pretty happy with mine. It seems like a solid phone, and battery life is phenomenal.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2017, 05:54 PM   #15
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Most of the mainstream phones are pretty fragile. Especially when it comes to drops. You really need to put em in a case.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2017, 08:41 PM   #16
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

simple Spigen case on my S7e, has been dropped I can't remember how many times and not a scratch. Get anything with a rubber layer and lip for the screen. It doesn't need to be a tank.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2017, 04:48 PM   #17
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
simple Spigen case on my S7e, has been dropped I can't remember how many times and not a scratch. Get anything with a rubber layer and lip for the screen. It doesn't need to be a tank.
Yup Spigen, Ringke, Verus(now VRS) etc etc are usually more than enough. You only really need an Otterbox or Lifeproof case if your phone is going to get exposed to allot of potential hits.(Construction work, camping etc)

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:06 PM   #18
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Yup Spigen, Ringke, Verus(now VRS) etc etc are usually more than enough. You only really need an Otterbox or Lifeproof case if your phone is going to get exposed to allot of potential hits.(Construction work, camping etc)
Otterboxed my G7E. Because big dogs. Is happy.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2017, 02:22 PM   #19
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

My wife just got a Galaxy J7 and so far its been decent for the price.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:38 PM   #20
KAC
KAC

I think my problem maybe that I have been using hard cases. Maybe will go for some softer ones that toddlers use. Anyways, on that subject, we got a small toddler android tab for our kid and he threw it down the stairs. 100 bucks down the drain. Not sure if I want to pay 50 to repair it .

Yeah, the amount of breakage of these stupid items in my house has gone out of hand lol.

Oh also, I never mentioned the iPhone 5 that my wife broke, then got remade, then maid washed it, so remade again, and now my son destroyed it whilst playing in school.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 08:26 AM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Maybe try giving your kid a book instead of a tablet
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2017, 09:18 AM   #22
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Why does your son have an iphone 5 at school? Why are you letting him play with electronics when he is clearly destructive? You don't need a case, you need to simply stop letting your child play with expensive electronics when he just throws **** all over the place.

I would have got my ass slapped if I ever did something like that ..
Old Feb 14, 2017, 09:38 AM   #23
KAC
KAC

iPhone 5 was elder son.
Kids tablet was little one.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:09 AM   #24
Evileh

Evileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete stranger

I agree with nunz stop giving your kids electronics...
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Old Feb 14, 2017, 04:20 PM   #25
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
iPhone 5 was elder son.
Kids tablet was little one.
welp .. time to teach them a lesson
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:04 PM   #26
Evileh

Yep.... Chinese water torture...
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84

Sittal on BF2142 "
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:23 PM   #27
KAC
KAC

Accidents happen. I am not going to treat a 2.5 year old in any wrong way even if he breaks everything in the house.

As for the elder son, he is now without a phone. Will teach him a lesson until I get him another in a year from now.

Finally, most of the above were accidents. My little one doesn't just go around throwing phones on the ground. That happened maybe 2-3 times when he got mad at something or was hungry etc. Also, not giving electronics to kids in this day and age means me not using electronics in front of them. Which is frankly not possible and trust me I have tried (e.g., I don't touch my phone until kids are asleep when I come home etc.).
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:43 PM   #28
Evileh

Quote:
Accidents happen. I am not going to treat a 2.5 year old in any wrong way even if he breaks everything in the house.

As for the elder son, he is now without a phone. Will teach him a lesson until I get him another in a year from now.

Finally, most of the above were accidents. My little one doesn't just go around throwing phones on the ground. That happened maybe 2-3 times when he got mad at something or was hungry etc. Also, not giving electronics to kids in this day and age means me not using electronics in front of them. Which is frankly not possible and trust me I have tried (e.g., I don't touch my phone until kids are asleep when I come home etc.).
Hahaha. Yeah he's gonna be salty now. Nice!
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84

Sittal on BF2142 "
Old Feb 16, 2017, 05:23 PM   #29
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

I actually quite like the look of the Midnight colored Nextbit Robin, it's got great specs and comes with an interesting 100GB cloud storage, that acts as an internal storage.

Currently on sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nextbit-Robi...-/192002996553
Old Feb 17, 2017, 03:14 AM   #30
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

The Robin isn't a bad phone per se, but no one ever has heard of it (over here). Hardware wise it's well.... kinda mediocre... but not terrible.

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote