Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Feb 1, 2003, 04:57 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
No_Style
Radeon R600

No_Style is still being judged by the masses

Default A Real Unreal Review

No that subject was not meant to be a pun. I've just been giving opinion on the game and well I decided to just collectively put down my opinion here.

Well at first glance the game looks very complete. It had a nice Installation screen and everything. No BGM tho, I was kinda hoping there was some spiffy BGM playing while I was waiting to dump a little of 2 GB into my HD. The first thing I saw was something that could have been used in a 3DMark Demo. It was pretty useless tho. I went on and configured the game. Nice laid out menus. I continued with the game and immediately brought down the console to type in "stat fps" to my disappointment the FPS were low. However, the game was running smoothly, so I wasn't so worried too much. The tutorial was like any other tutorial. Informative, but not necessary.

Passing the tutorial, I stepped onto the first level. Everything was going fine, until I hit the big sceneries. FPS dropped to a mere 19 FPS. I managed to move on from that part. Passing another 2 major levels, I suddenly crashed. An error appeared. I didn't record what it was, but it certainly was Unreal 2's fault. The game itself gave me the error and offered me the choice of sending a bug report or not. I declined and tried to play again to see if it was a random thing, or an error at that particular point. To my pleasure it was a random error.

The gameplay was quite interesting. The game seems to hint on what type of weapon you should be using in each area of the map. How so? Well in certain areas there is an abundance of Assault Rifle ammo. In the spider levels, at first they give ammo for flame thrower, but then take that away to replace it with Shotgun ammo. The levels are very simple. You cannot get lost in this game. Somebody or something is always pointing you in the right direction. You'll first notice that the movement in this game is slow. This is intentional. It was made to give a "real" experience. There is dodging in this game like UT2K3 and a new thing which allows you to climb over edges in a way. Other than that, there is the usual leaning which everybody is putting in (although Unreal 2 doesn't allow you to shoot while leaning) ducking, jumping and walking.

The graphics are amazing in this game. Absolutely amazing. Best to date in my opinion. Legend has put a lot of attention to detail. From the smoke coming out of your Assault rifle when you reload to the different reticles for each weapon you're using. I've gotta tell ya the Shock Lance is quite a pretty weapon to use.

The sound in this game was ok. It wasn't amazing. But it wasn't bad either. The problem I found to have brought the overall sound experience down was the voice acting. When selecting choices, especially about the history of characters and organizations in the game or the weapon descriptions, the voice of one option would be in a "normal" tone and then suddenly when you choose another choice the description goes loud all of the sudden. Unless this was intentional, it's quite an "Unreal" thing.

The let downs of this game are few, but important in my opinion. Immediately was the fact that there was no multiplayer. I know UT2K3 is the multiplayer, but it's not the same. I think this game would have been a great multiplayer. Simple, but great. Sorta like Red Faction's multiplayer. Without multiplayer, the replayability of this game is hindered. I'm thinking of uninstalling it after I'm done with it. The latest Unreal Engine is flexible is gorgeous and all, but it is sure is a real hardware intensive game. I'm struggling with this game in it's Quality/performance ratio. I haven't found a suitable option yet. Either that or the game needs a few patches to raise the FPS in those "resource greedy scenes". On that note: Do not go by the minimum requirements of this game. You truly need something faster than 1.2 GHz and Radeon 8500 or higher to enjoy this game.

Overall I give this game a 8/10. Mainly for bringing a Halo-like experience to the PC finally. As for the future of this game, I really don't see one, unless something with multiplayer comes along. This game would have been great, Co-Op style. I think if there was going to be an X-Box port, Legend should try to work out a Co-Op thing for it.

P.S - System used for review: P4 1.99 GHz with a 8500 Flashed to 9100 @ 297/263. Windows XP and Latest Cat 3.0a.

Last edited by No_Style : Feb 1, 2003 at 09:08 PM.
No_Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2003, 07:17 PM   #2
Spencer
CA Driftwood

Spencer once held a door open for a complete strangerSpencer once held a door open for a complete strangerSpencer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Sounds like I have some things to look foward to when I get the game on Tues or Wed. Glad there's at least some interesting gameplay. How big are the outdoor maps? Or any maps. I've been dying to know maybe you can tell me if the maps are as big as in the original Unreal. I really hope to roam around as much as in the first game. But in other web forums no one seems to know or is willing to answer if the maps are as big as in Unreal 1.

Edit: Hey I'm three posts behind you.

Spencer

Last edited by Spencer : Feb 1, 2003 at 07:20 PM.
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2003, 08:01 PM   #3
ErrorS
gfdsa

ErrorS is still being judged by the masses

uh.. what about the music? ALL unreal games have had awesome music, wondering if unreal2 does also.. thanks

www.eve-online.com
ErrorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 1, 2003, 08:33 PM   #4
No_Style
Radeon R600

No_Style is still being judged by the masses

Default I hated the original Unreal.

I played it once for a few minutes and I then set it aside. I didn't like the original Unreal, but then again I did stop playing FPS after Duke Nukem 3D. But anyways on to the questions:

How are the maps? Like I said, you can't get lost in this game. So the maps aren't large. When I said large areas. I just meant large open areas with rocks and water and stuff. This game certainly wants you to go through it quick and not wander around. Since I haven't really played the original Unreal, I can't answer your question directly. I can compare it to RTCW tho and Soldier of Fortune II. Those games had more hidden things, especially RTCW. It's only 10-15 Hours of gameplay. Short. Too short in my opinion.

Music? It's pretty good. I really liked UT2K3's music so I'll say that it's not as kick ass as that, but Unreal 2's music fits quite nicely.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 10:10 PM   #5
jjjayb
Rage3D Veteran

jjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Ok, here's my short review of the game. I posted this somewhere else so i just went and copied and pasted it here:

I wasn't as impressed with this as I thought I would be.

The graphics are great. The fire in the game is the best looking fire I've ever seen in a game. I swear it looks like real fire. It is nothing short of amazing to look at. Even my wife, who is no fan of video games, was taken aback by how good the fire looked. But the gameplay is actually kind of boring. Some of the earlier levels were pretty good. Kind of had me on the edge of my seat. They did a good job of building up suspense in some areas in the early levels. But then it kind of turns into a serious sam kind of shooter. Just enemies coming in droves. Mindless blasting.

The game does have EXCELLENT sound though. Great positional audio with very good sound effects with EAX on. Only problem is, having EAX on causes the game to crash quite often. If anyone has problem with crashing just uncheck eax in the sound options and it should help. Seems a ton of people are experiencing this problem. Hopefully they will release a patch soon after the game hits the store shelves. The music also does a really good job in the earlier levels to add to the atmosphere of those levels. It helps build a powerful feeling of impending doom.

The weapons are pretty good too. A wide range of variety to choose from as you go through the levels. Definitely play with the flame thrower. When you use the alternate fire on the flame thrower it just shoots out gas. You can spray out a line of gas on the floor with the alt fire button and then light it with the regular button. WHOOOOOSH! The gas will catch fire and the fire spreads down the trail of gas. You'll have to see it to appreciate it.

One major problem I had with the game was the cutscenes, which you have no way of skipping. Nothing worse than finishing a level and waiting 2 minutes to load the next level which is nothing but an unskippable cut scene of your ship flying through space. After watching the scene of your ship flying through space for 30 seconds or so, you load for 2 more minutes. Only to watch another 2 minute cutscene that you can't skip, before you actually get to play again. Definitely keeps you from getting immersed. Especially when the cutscenes are rather boring. I found myself leaving the room to do other things while the cutscenes were playing.

I'd have to give the game about a 6 out of 10 at the highest. Although it has great graphics and sound effects, it isn't enough to make up for the boring gameplay and cutscenes that completely take you out of the game.
jjjayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 03:00 AM   #6
Sheppard
Radeon R300

Sheppard is still being judged by the masses

eax was great but caused crashing.
I was very impressed with the whole game.

Unfortunately, it is very short.
Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 06:40 AM   #7
RichyBoy
Radeon R700

RichyBoy is still being judged by the masses

Just a suggestion regarding EAX - I assume the game uses OpenAL like UT2K3? Has anyone tried copying the DefOpenAL32.dll file included in the latest UT2K3 patch to the System folder for Unreal 2? They updated that file in the 2186 patch to the latest version from Creative, and it may be that Unreal 2 is using an older buggier version that's causing the crashes.

Also, you guys do have at least an Audigy don't you, as Unreal 2 uses EAX Advanced HD, which won't work properly on older cards such as the Live! series.
Athlon 64 3500+ / Abit Fatal1ty AN8 / 2x512MB Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM / 256MB Abit Radeon X700 Pro / Soundblaster Audigy 2 with Creative Inspire 6700 6.1 speakers / 2x Seagate SATA Barracuda ATA V 80GB / Samsung 16X DVD-ROM drive / Phillips CD-RW 1610A / 480W Tagan Whisperquiet PSU / Thermaltake Xaser II A5000B+ case / Win XP Home Edition (SP2) / DX9.0c
RichyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 11:37 AM   #8
jjjayb
Rage3D Veteran

jjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yes, I'm using an audigy. I haven't tried using the openal file from the ut2k3 patch yet, but I did take the openAL file from my system folder and put that in the unreal directory. I renamed it appropriately. Didn't seem to help.
jjjayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 01:35 PM   #9
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I just beat the game. I'd have to say it isn't as good as it should be. They said there would be a great story. I wasn't all that interested in the story at all. Just one mission after another. There are some interesting parts for sure.
Obviously the graphics are pretty darn good. The fire IS quite real looking. I had it on full detail except shadows were on medium with the resolution at 1024x768. My fps were around 20-50. I think the fps are kinda low for my system and makes me think I need yet another upgrade but the heck with that. I might buy a Radeon 9700 Pro when the price drops but not yet.

I think what they should have done was had Unreal 2 and Unreal Tournament 2K3 in the same box for maybe $70 Canadian. The lack of multiplayer in Unreal 2 really drives down value. The game is $65 at Futureshop.ca, not worth it.

Medal Of Honor has much better value. Great single play and multiplayer in the same box. Granted, they need more game modes to make it interesting enough but it is a much better game overall.

I guess it boils down to this. If you have a powerhouse computer and want to show off its capabilites then this game will do it. If you have never played too many first person shooters then this game will be good for you.
If your computer is weak (1Ghz and under) and you have played many first person shooters then don't buy this game, there is nothing really new about it.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 05:32 PM   #10
Lestat
Questioner of Questions

Lestat is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuku2
I just beat the game. I'd have to say it isn't as good as it should be. They said there would be a great story. I wasn't all that interested in the story at all. Just one mission after another. There are some interesting parts for sure.
Obviously the graphics are pretty darn good. The fire IS quite real looking. I had it on full detail except shadows were on medium with the resolution at 1024x768. My fps were around 20-50. I think the fps are kinda low for my system and makes me think I need yet another upgrade but the heck with that. I might buy a Radeon 9700 Pro when the price drops but not yet.

I think what they should have done was had Unreal 2 and Unreal Tournament 2K3 in the same box for maybe $70 Canadian. The lack of multiplayer in Unreal 2 really drives down value. The game is $65 at Futureshop.ca, not worth it.

Medal Of Honor has much better value. Great single play and multiplayer in the same box. Granted, they need more game modes to make it interesting enough but it is a much better game overall.

I guess it boils down to this. If you have a powerhouse computer and want to show off its capabilites then this game will do it. If you have never played too many first person shooters then this game will be good for you.
If your computer is weak (1Ghz and under) and you have played many first person shooters then don't buy this game, there is nothing really new about it.
I'm actually a bit disappointed and PO'ed. I posted my thoughts in another U2 thread in this forum, but what i boils down to is this:
I waited 4.5 years, and THIS is what i got? It ain't bad, but after the orgasm that was Unreal, i REALLY exptected something more. About the only thing that is great is the weapons. The rest is good, but so were about 6 other games last year, and the competition this year is Deus Ex 2, Doom 3 and Splinter Cell, and honestly DE2 is looking real good to me right now.

L.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 05:42 PM   #11
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

What I really was saying was, if I paid for this game I would be angry. 10 hours and it wasn't even that good. Why should we pay for this stuff? The only good thing to come out of this is the engine. I'm looking forward to games using this engine like Raven Shield and the new project by the makers of MOHAA. I don't think I will like Splinter Cell. I am not good at sneaking around so maybe I won't even like Raven Shield.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 06:59 PM   #12
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

Hellbinder is still being judged by the masses

Another point to get pissed off about..

Epic claimed that there was going to be Class Based Multiplayer with a few Vehicles...

Or has everyone forgot that???
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote