Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default Windows 7 phones not selling as hoped

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/a...ng-as-well-as/

the platform hasn't been selling as well as AT&T or Microsoft would've liked. He didn't divulge numbers or get any more specific, but he did sound optimistic looking to the future. When asked if WP7 is a hard sell, de la Vega noted that it's a brand new OS, and the growth both companies are hoping for will come once the Mango update is readily available; consumers are looking for a bigger app store, more functionality, and a larger number of features.

Not that it's a surprise. I frequently see them going for free all the time.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:51 PM   #2
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/a...ng-as-well-as/

the platform hasn't been selling as well as AT&T or Microsoft would've liked. He didn't divulge numbers or get any more specific, but he did sound optimistic looking to the future. When asked if WP7 is a hard sell, de la Vega noted that it's a brand new OS, and the growth both companies are hoping for will come once the Mango update is readily available; consumers are looking for a bigger app store, more functionality, and a larger number of features.

Not that it's a surprise. I frequently see them going for free all the time.
It's a real shame - in many ways WP7 offers a decidedly better user experience than Apple's. It just doesn't have the apps... and it's behind in features (though the Fall update will go a long way toward addressing a bulk of this). It's a long, tough road ahead for Microsoft. And it may fail.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
It's a real shame - in many ways WP7 offers a decidedly better user experience than Apple's. It just doesn't have the apps... and it's behind in features (though the Fall update will go a long way toward addressing a bulk of this). It's a long, tough road ahead for Microsoft. And it may fail.
I think they rushed it to say they are in the market. To have that amount of lacking features is pretty crazy to even come out with.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:30 PM   #4
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I think they rushed it to say they are in the market. To have that amount of lacking features is pretty crazy to even come out with.
I agree. They were already so far behind that it seems clear now they should've waited and done more/better in terms of feature parity.

It's one thing to lack features (not necessarily excusable, but at least somewhat understandable) when leading the way or starting a paradigm shift, but another altogether to be near the bottom of the pack and try to claim that the leader did the same thing so it must be ok.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Yeah I;m glad I stuck with my iPhone4 for 2011 even though I was super hyped about getting a WP7 phone last year. Hopefully by the time Mango hits, MS will have the app selection, gaming, and hardware to meet the unrealized promise of WP7.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

There were several shortcomings in the initial release, but the Mango update should bring it to the forefront and make it a lot more complete.

Honestly, iOS is all about being shiny smooth and gimmicky, Android has all the gadgets and customization and WinMo7 offers a combination (once it's all ready for prime-time) that holds a lot of promise.

It is the most polished OS out there and it certainly has some nice features
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:50 PM   #7
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

I kinda liked the windows 7 phone interface. It's a very good representaiton of what a dumb phone should look like, and therefore they should sell a HUGE amount. I hope WIndows 7 goes for the lowest denominator, ie, the other 70% of the phone market. Smart phones only contain a tiny amount of the cell phone market.

I really just want a phone that does
a) call
b) texting
c) email
d) possible messaging services (what's app, bbm, imessage whatevers)
e) music

That's all.

Last edited by VVanks : Jun 6, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:09 PM   #8
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

I guess all those analysts were wrong.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I guess all those analysts were wrong.
About what? Future market share? Wait till the Nokia phones come online and Mango goes live. There is a simple intuitiveness about WinMo7 that is petty cool. I have had my moments with my iPhone 4 (personal phone) but the work phone (WinMo) has many things that I wish Apple would include or work towards and after their iOS5 announcement, we won't see that happen for another year or so.

It's not going to happen overnight, but once it catches on, it should do well enough.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:30 PM   #10
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

You think they will surpass android and ios in 3 years?

BTW, the chair in the article posted in the first post is awesome. Anyone know what kind of chair it is?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:49 PM   #11
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
You think they will surpass android and ios in 3 years?

BTW, the chair in the article posted in the first post is awesome. Anyone know what kind of chair it is?
There are a lot of variables. I don't know if it will pass Android and iOS. There is a chance that IF it catches on and turns out to be better than the others, it will be competitive. Android is definitely pushing the cutting edge today and WinMo could be it's competitor, if it manages to fix it's shortcomings quickly.

iOS, I am losing my patience with Apple. There hasn't been any tangible change in the OS, outside of some pieces bolted on, for years.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:32 PM   #12
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
There are a lot of variables. I don't know if it will pass Android and iOS. There is a chance that IF it catches on and turns out to be better than the others, it will be competitive. Android is definitely pushing the cutting edge today and WinMo could be it's competitor, if it manages to fix it's shortcomings quickly.

iOS, I am losing my patience with Apple. There hasn't been any tangible change in the OS, outside of some pieces bolted on, for years.
You want tangible change right now you look to Android or WP7, IMO. Android is getting a little stale though, although I still love their tablet OS and can't wait for Ice Cream Sandwich. Apple is very quickly becoming the 'me too' OS, when they used to be the 'me first.'
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:38 PM   #13
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Apple is very quickly becoming the 'me too' OS, when they used to be the 'me first.'
The most dumbest thing you've ever said.

It's clear that Android hasn't the slightest clue of what OS it wants to be.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:47 PM   #14
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
The most dumbest thing you've ever said.

It's clear that Android hasn't the slightest clue of what OS it wants to be.
That's why iOS 5 announcement today was one massive Android copy job. Objective thinking is lost on you.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:54 PM   #15
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Well, this is typical of Microsoft. Put something sub-par out and promise to fix it in the future.

However, given the state of the total crapitude of all markets, I'm surprised anything is being sold at this time. What I'm basically saying is that maybe people should be thankful that even PlayBooks in any number are selling.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:57 PM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
Well, this is typical of Microsoft. Put something sub-par out and promise to fix it in the future.

However, given the state of the total crapitude of all markets, I'm surprised anything is being sold at this time. What I'm basically saying is that maybe people should be thankful that even PlayBooks in any number are selling.
Are Playbooks selling?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:01 AM   #17
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
That's why iOS 5 announcement today was one massive Android copy job. Objective thinking is lost on you.
Android has always been a clone of what everyone else has done. Being a first mover virtually never works in the technology market. Look at Apple. They didn't create the first PMP, nor the first smartphone or tablet, but they learned from the mistakes of the first movers.

Android started as a total Blackberry clone (complete with chicklet keyboard and thumbwheel), but in 2007 when iPhone came out, Android ran back to the drawing board. Android itself was not predicated on being a leader, just an outlet so that Google can collect and sell your information.

Apple adds a Notification tray and suddenly iOS 5 is an Android copy job...
____

Newstand in iOS 5.0 looks ... strange.

Last edited by HAL10000 : Jun 7, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:13 AM   #18
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
Android has always been a clone of what everyone else has done. Being a first mover virtually never works in the technology market. Look at Apple. They didn't create the first PMP, nor the first smartphone or tablet, but they learned from the mistakes of the first movers.

Android started as a total Blackberry clone (complete with chicklet keyboard and thumbwheel), but in 2007 when iPhone came out, Android ran back to the drawing board. Android itself was not predicated on being a leader, just an outlet so that Google can collect and sell your information.

Apple adds a Notification tray and suddenly iOS 5 is an Android copy job...
____

Newstand in iOS 5.0 looks ... strange.
Apple copied much more than just notifications from Android, most of what's offered in iCloud was done there first. Just read the Engadget perspectives on todays announcments if you really need any verification, there's a LOT of 'Android already does this' in that sites editor's perspectives, and they're probably the most pro-Apple tech site around besides actual Mac ones.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/e...-itunes-match/
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:15 AM   #19
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Apple copied much more than just notifications from Android, most of what's offered in iCloud was done there first. Just read the Engadget perspectives on todays announcments if you really need any verification, there's a LOT of 'Android already does this' in that sites editor's perspectives, and they're probably the most pro-Apple tech site around besides actual Mac ones.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/e...-itunes-match/
that is a good thing, i finally see a change in IOS since IOS 1.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:16 AM   #20
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Apple copied much more than just notifications from Android, most of what's offered in iCloud was done there first.
I'm running iOS 5 beta right now. Very little is actually new, it strikes me more like Snow Leopard than Leopard to use an Apple analogy. You have Messages, Newsstand, that tray, a Reminders app (task list crap). You can use the camera from the lock screen if you have the capability.

And Google copied from those before it... and so forth. Even the crap that Apple announced with iCloud was available for years through MobileMe. MobileMe was never a major factor because it cost users an annual fee. iCloud is just MobileMe with a free price tag and some useless fluff like "photo streaming" thrown in. What they added was music streaming and direct APIs.

Last edited by HAL10000 : Jun 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:25 AM   #21
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

maybe you can look at ios like this.

without a doubt ANDROID is the only power to give changes to IOS>
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:12 AM   #22
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. No one seems to be snapping up Android tablets. Android has all these wonderful features, but like Microsoft tablets of the past, no one wants it or cares for it. iPhone in the beginning was lacking all these features and somehow sold like gangbusters.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:08 AM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. No one seems to be snapping up Android tablets. Android has all these wonderful features, but like Microsoft tablets of the past, no one wants it or cares for it. iPhone in the beginning was lacking all these features and somehow sold like gangbusters.
That's why Android phones outsell the iPhone every single quarter, no one wants them. You make the same tired argument all the time, when are you going to give it a rest?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:14 AM   #24
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
That's why Android phones outsell the iPhone every single quarter, no one wants them. You make the same tired argument all the time, when are you going to give it a rest?
When you do.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:07 AM   #25
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
When you do.
Unfortunately the truth will always prove your flimsy argument is incorrect. Facts get in the way of Apple PR all the time.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:49 AM   #26
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Here are facts as sourced:

Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:09 PM   #27
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

We've already broken down "the facts" in the other thread. Some objectivity wouldn't kill either of you.

Android IS outselling iPhone but only because of wider carrier availibility. For a single phone on two carriers, it hands down beats any other single smartphone. And it has nothing to do with WP7, so get a room already.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote